Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

tvgm2 posted:

Wouldn't rain detection (once it's actually working) alleviate the need for setting the wiper speed manually?

Tesla S autopilot V2s still don't have auto rain adjusting wipers... You'd think they'd just pony the couple bucks for the real sensor rather than trying to invent the wheel by doing it via the camera system on the Model 3.

As a pacific northwesterner - i really consider auto wipers a requirement on a new car luxury car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

Tesla S autopilot V2s still don't have auto rain adjusting wipers... You'd think they'd just pony the couple bucks for the real sensor rather than trying to invent the wheel by doing it via the camera system on the Model 3.

As a pacific northwesterner - i really consider auto wipers a requirement on a new car luxury car.

Tesla is a software company that finds itself in the hardware business.

They have an irrational aversion to changing the hardware when software bandages might possibly be “good enough”.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
[quote="“tvgm2”" post="“476904731”"]
Wouldn’t rain detection (once it’s actually working) alleviate the need for setting the wiper speed manually?
[/quote]

In theory. In practise I'd still want to be able to do that quickly from a physical control.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What about windscreen spraying?

Is that accessed via touchscreen?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Presumably you can do that sort of thing via the two wheel dial thumb things??

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh for fucks sake, it doesn't have wiper controls on a stalk? loving Silicon Valley morons having to reinvent every loving thing. "How come we still use stalks? Stalks were invented in the 1920s! We should use a modern, sleek menu, 4 selections deep". The best you can say about it is that if you get a muddy spray on your window, you can't see anything anyway so it doesn't matter if you have to take your eyes off the road to log on to the wiper interface and access the wiper fluid dispenser API.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You'd think with all the Amazon and Google glowing plastic things to put in your house that you can talk to to buy things or wikipedia things or whatever people do with them, you'd be able to say "Hey Tesla, wipers!" and it will say "here's what I found on the web for 'vipers'" and display a web search for the term on your touchscreen and possibly even order a box of snakes to your home and/or office.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jabronie posted:

Anyone do long commutes on vehicles like the Volt? My commute is changing to a 100 mile round trip with 90 highway miles with a pay-for-charge station near work. I was looking to trade my Leaf but keep the advantages of an electric motor. Used 2014's are at pretty good prices.

If you had a gen 2 volt you'd be in good shape. Except in the winter you'd get above 50 miles worth of electric range. The level 2 pay charger near work could bring you back to a full charge in 5 to 6 hours. Drive back home, rinse, repeat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

twerking on the railroad posted:

If you had a gen 2 volt you'd be in good shape. Except in the winter you'd get above 50 miles worth of electric range. The level 2 pay charger near work could bring you back to a full charge in 5 to 6 hours. Drive back home, rinse, repeat.

L2 Public paid chargers are often almost just as expensive, or occasionally MORE expensive than just going into range-extender mode and buying gas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The worst are when there's a different/one off network and they have a $5 account setup fee the first time you charge.

Edit: worse is when it's a local company that also wants a $20 deposit to fund your account...for the one charger they have in the city.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 30, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

El Grillo posted:

Presumably you can do that sort of thing via the two wheel dial thumb things??

I thought I heard that the 3 doesn't have those.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
All of the things I'm hearing about the Model 3 UI sound kind of

um

Bad

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Platystemon posted:

What about windscreen spraying?

Is that accessed via touchscreen?

According to this you can push and hold the button on the stalk to activate the sprayer.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Well, they would eventually need to program their self-driving system to deal with rain and snow one way or another.

Speaking of snow, how well do those sensors work with it? Or, for that matter, sleet or hail? As far as I can tell, it looks like those things require liquid water in contact with the windshield:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_sensor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snow triggers the sensors on my S, at least. I don't think I've had sleet or hail yet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Model 3 chat: Just read this from an owner who's taken delivery...

quote:

We had rain in Austin today, so I had an opportunity to use the wipers. A tap on the left stalk handled the single wipe fine, but it also changed the UI to show the sustained wiper controls - so there was no hunting for them. Pretty seamless transition, just different from the traditional all-stalk coontrol. The intermittent works as expected - didn't need continuous wipe modes.

Still dumb, but not completely loving pants on head retarded.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MrYenko posted:

Model 3 chat: Just read this from an owner who's taken delivery...

Still dumb, but not completely loving pants on head retarded.

I'm a Tesla apologist and that's still pants on head retarded.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe just one pant.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I don't understand what's going on with this. Am I understanding correctly that the wiper stalk still exists, that pushing it up or down gives you intermittent or single-shot wipes like it would in other cars, but it has no twist controls to adjust the interval? Like, it's taking up all the space and ugliness that a wiper stalk control usually would, and just not loving bothering to employ the one axis that doesn't take up any space at all?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
~technology~

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Pants tied around neck like a preppy sweater retarded.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Sounds like it works pretty well

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
lmao

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

roomforthetuna posted:

I don't understand what's going on with this. Am I understanding correctly that the wiper stalk still exists, that pushing it up or down gives you intermittent or single-shot wipes like it would in other cars, but it has no twist controls to adjust the interval? Like, it's taking up all the space and ugliness that a wiper stalk control usually would, and just not loving bothering to employ the one axis that doesn't take up any space at all?

From what I can gather so far, it has only two stalks, where the Model S has four. On the Model S, the left side has one stalk for cruise control / autopilot, and one stalk combining indicators (up/down), high beam (back/front) and wipers (twist tip and push button) plus a small one for steering wheel adjustment.The right stalk is the shifter. The Model 3 has moved the autopilot controls to the shifter, still not clear if it gets an additional axis or if the up/down axis changes according to state. That should in theory leave the lights/wipers/indicators stalk unchanged. But no, they've actually split the functionality. Perhaps because they no longer source the stalks from the same place and were too busy talking about how to implement Martian flight booking via VR gestures to check if sufficient functionality was carried over.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Turn signal stalk replaced by driver using hand gestures left or right

#technology

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The new eGolf is nice and Youtube shows with broadcast quality production and an interested, experienced presenter, without the constraints of television is also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah4lrqWx8E0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/SteveFowler/status/914830435083079680

this could be good as long as they don't go "just the body kit and rimz" route they have in the past.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveFowler/status/914830435083079680

this could be good as long as they don't go "just the body kit and rimz" route they have in the past.

Thats usually Toyota's MO.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
So I guess Tesla has so far shipped 260 Model 3s out of the 1500 Elon "ol' Musky" Musk claimed he would by the end of September. The plan still has them ramping to 20,000 per month by the end of December. For the record, I live in San Francisco and Model Ss and Xs are so common they're boring, but I have yet to see a 3 on the road.

Reminder of my views on Tesla before I get called a curmudgeon:

- Great electric powertrain, best by a long shot
- Great charging infrastructure (relative to anything else in the world)
- Pretty good exterior design
- I've heard they have mediocre reliability
- Poor software human interface design
- Extremely poor attitudes to vehicle ownership and repair (i.e. it's not your car, don't touch that)
- Borderline illegal false advertising re. autopilot capabilities and lack thereof
- Elon "Elon Musk" Musk just makes poo poo up as he goes along, things he says have no connection to reality

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I live in south Orange County, CA and my neighbors on both sides have a model x, while the model s is basically the new Camry. We just got the first model 3 on my street, but I haven't talked to the owner about it yet.

The model x is basically my perfect car, but I'm a reformed spendaholic and I'll stick with my CMax until I find a reason to justify the cost (full autonomous mode will do it).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I didn't know Fisker was actually selling Karma's. Yet I saw one getting off the freeway today.

Still debating on an early RWD 3 or waiting for a PxxD AWD next year... Will need more info.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
There's karmas all over Orange County, too. If you drive through Irvine regularly you'll see a few per week. I still think they look amazing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

- Elon "Elon Musk" Musk just makes poo poo up as he goes along, things he says have no connection to reality

At least he was right about this phase of the Model 3 being "production hell".

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

eyebeem posted:

There's karmas all over Orange County, too. If you drive through Irvine regularly you'll see a few per week. I still think they look amazing.

They are a 10 foot car. They look fantastic until you start looking closer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sagebrush posted:

I dont know about that - the poo poo he promises does tend to be delivered.

Hopelessly optimistic timelines of course that are laughable from the outset, but it does eventually get delivered. If you had told me his cmpanies would have achieved what they have ten years ago, it would have been the talk of someone crazy. 2023 for MArs? LOLNO. But I aint betting against SpaceX getting there in the next ten years.

And while he hasnt delivered on a few big promises yet, the way his companies have progressed have made a lot of people sit back and rethink what they are doing - I really doubt we would have the lineups of EV's in design if it wasnt for Tesla for instance. Musk has a big mouth that says a lot of poo poo but I think it's having a very big effect in changing a lot of things we thought would not happen as fast as they are now. poo poo like the Powerwall - basic batteries sure but what it's doing is convince people that the renewables baseload problem can be solved... and is being solved. And others are jumping in on that poo poo hard.

Hell, just having an EV that can be genuinely driven coast to coast without overnight recharge stops, that poo poo is mindblowing that it's actually been done and the infrastructure is happening.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are there any AWD EVs besides Teslas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

Are there any AWD EVs besides Teslas?

Not 100% EV on the market right now, no. There's a PHEV, the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Peugeot 3008, a non-plug hybrid (PHEV is coming) where the rear motor is driven electrically.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GM is now saying they'll have 20 new all-electric cars by 2023, with the next 2 being bolt based and out within 18 months.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-introduce-least-20-new-evs-2023/

Each and every one will no doubt be better than the Tesla model 3.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Apparently some Bolts have an issue where the seat padding is wrong causing crippling pain for drivers. How do you gently caress up seat padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Guessing you never went to a movie theater pre-1995.

• Locked thread