Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cant seize the rees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Jose posted:

boris is currently polling most popular, then ruth davidson and then rees-mogg. Assuming boris crashes and burns and it ends up the other 2 you've got a lesbian vs a catholic with extremely regressive views

I doubt Davidson would want to leave Scotland to lead the conservatives into an election they're probably going to lose. Plus she's a remainer which won't please most of the Tory members.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

UrbicaMortis posted:

I doubt Davidson would want to leave Scotland to lead the conservatives into an election they're probably going to lose. Plus she's a remainer which won't please most of the Tory members.

I suspect her being a remainer won't be the base's biggest issue

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Don't underestimate Rees-Mogg. He's an incredibly eloquent debater and with a formidable intellect whose rhetorical brilliance will stump Corbyn should they ever end up head to head

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Gum posted:

I suspect her being a remainer won't be the base's biggest issue

Well, yes, that too. From what I've read, current thinking is that it will be amber Rudd plus a brexiteer through to the membership vote and then the Brexit candidate almost certainly wins the membership vote.

Guess it depends who's on the up when the final straw breaks and they oust May.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
also big lol at "explained"

the telegraph owns

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bryter posted:

Don't underestimate Rees-Mogg. He's an incredibly eloquent debater and with a formidable intellect whose rhetorical brilliance will stump Corbyn should they ever end up head to head

Not a fair match up. His nanny wasn't there to help him.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Bryter posted:

"Not precarious. Not precarious. You're precarious", elaborated brain genius MP

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Ruth Davidson isn't even an MP, lol if some safe seat warmer has to step aside for their new leader

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Party Boat posted:

Ruth Davidson isn't even an MP, lol if some safe seat warmer has to step aside for their new leader

I imagine there are a few Tories who are planning on jumping from the sinking ship right now, got to get that sweet business gig while the goings still good

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Party Boat posted:

Rudd has a similar problem with her majority being shredded in the last election

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is the media and establishment doing the same thing to Mogg that they did to Paul Ryan in the US?

Trying to paint him as a super-nerd brain genius who knows all about economics and budgets when he's really just an ideological moron who doesn't know his own state's minimum wage?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
home secretaries should be banned from being PM

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Drain the Bogg

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Frijolero posted:

Is the media and establishment doing the same thing to Mogg that they did to Paul Ryan in the US?

Trying to paint him as a super-nerd brain genius who knows all about economics and budgets when he's really just an ideological moron who doesn't know his own state's minimum wage?

Not that kind of nerd really, at least not primarily. His status as a career backbencher has helped him cultivate an image of an expert on and proponent of proper parliamentary procedure and sovereignty. I guess a better analog might be John McCain?

As with McCain though, he's perfectly happy to enable power grabs and ignore convention when it suits his party's position. The government recently made a power grab to ensure they have a majority on select committees despite having no majority in Parliament, which was a major departure from constitutional norms. Mogg, shockingly, didn't do his usual grandstanding about how it was an outrageous contravention of the principles laid down by Lord Bumblefuck of Uppinghamshire-Upon-Lyme in 1756, but instead... voted for it!

Bryter has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Oct 2, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bryter posted:

Not that kind of nerd really. His status as a career backbencher has helped him cultivate an image of an expert on and proponent of proper parliamentary procedure and sovereignty. I guess a better analog might be John McCain?

As with McCain though, he's perfectly happy to enable power grabs and ignore convention when it suits his party's position. The government recently made a power grab to ensure they have a majority on select committees despite having no majority in Parliament, which was a major departure from constitutional norms. Mogg, shockingly, didn't do his usual grandstanding about how it was an outrageous contravention of the principles laid down by Lord Bumblefuck of Uppinghamshire-Upon-Lyme in 1756, but instead... voted for it!

So he is Ted Cruz. Has anyone checked to see if he is fond of step moms?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
He's a Tory and a Catholic meaning he would doubly regard the very existence of step-mothers as a depravity which marks the inexorable decline of western christian civilisation. So yeah, he definitely is.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Gum posted:

Rudd has a similar problem with her majority being shredded in the last election

I think the majority problem for Rudd is a bit overhyped. I doubt the Tories would balk at dropping her into a nearby safe seat and the upcoming boundary changes (now keeping 650 seats instead of dropping it to 600) mean they could do it pretty slickly. Her bigger issue for getting leadership is that she's a remainer and the party's membership isn't.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

UrbicaMortis posted:

Her bigger issue for getting leadership is that she's a remainer and the party's membership isn't.

wasn't a problem for May, stated principles only get in the way when you actually believe in them

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

wasn't a problem for May, stated principles only get in the way when you actually believe in them

Yeah but even if she goes into a contest talking about how much she loves Brexit, her opponent is going to have better brexit credentials, unless she ends up against Ken Clarke or something.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Fallen Hamprince posted:

May never actually had to win a contested vote- she got to be leader by virtue of being the last back to not have a knife in it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gum posted:

May never actually had to win a contested vote- she got to be leader by virtue of being the last back to not have a knife in it

You know who else never won a contested vote and only got to power via appearing to be the last acceptable alternative...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You know who else never won a contested vote and only got to power via appearing to be the last acceptable alternative...

Hillary, no wait, Hitler.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Attlee?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Attlee won a massive majority of Labour in the 1945 general election. :eng101:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero posted:

Hillary, no wait, Hitler.

You've said Hillary twice for some reason.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Churchill?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Attlee won a massive majority of Labour in the 1945 general election. :eng101:
It was entirely 100% thrown by Churchill who a) assumed he would win easily, and b) compared Labour to Nazi Germany which obviously did not impress a whole bunch of people (Attlee winning was good, though, no question).

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers
Churchill was correct to believe he was very popular with voters, it just happened that his party wasn't at all. The Conservative manifesto in 45 was officially promoted as "Mr Churchill's declaration of policy to the electors" to try and distract from the fact that they were Tory policies​. Turns out the electorate were not quite that thick.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i've forgotten the way 7 nation army actually goes

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
To the tune of "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn":

guitar sounds

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol remember when Malcom or Owen or Jeffy, whatever that nerd from The Guardian is called, went through a phase where he thought Corbyn would sink the Labour Party :holy:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frijolero posted:

Lol remember when Malcom or Owen or Jeffy, whatever that nerd from The Guardian is called, went through a phase where he thought Corbyn would sink the Labour Party :holy:

Remember when not just the entire nation, but the entire world, was counting down until the absolute boy would be forced to seppuku

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Remember when not just the entire nation, but the entire world, was counting down until the absolute boy would be forced to seppuku

I was right up till about two months before the election and saw the crowds Jezza was getting.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
That virgin vs chad meme would have been so perfect for Owen Smith vs Corbs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Frijolero posted:

I didn't think Corbyn would sink the Labour Party but I did get awfully pessimistic at points. Honestly, Theresa May's early election is probably the only thing that stopped another pointless leadership challenge this year and the party descending even further into internal farce.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I didn't think Corbyn would sink the Labour Party but I did get awfully pessimistic at points. Honestly, Theresa May's early election is probably the only thing that stopped another pointless leadership challenge this year and the party descending even further into internal farce.

it's still funny seeing the lovely half of labour reluctantly endorse corbyn while gritting their teeth hard enough to make diamonds

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Perfectly taken photo

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/915162555324223488

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Frijolero posted:

Owen Jones, and he is now fully on the Corbyn Express after admitting he was wrong. Occasionally he stops to zinger Alastair Campbell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frijolero posted:

I always believed Corbs would pull through, mostly because my rule of thumb when it comes to British politics is that when Graun columnists start predicting something in unison, you can bet on the opposite happening instead.