Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

lilljonas posted:

No, it's all mib. The guy bought an entire french army (this is maybe a third of the original lot), and never got around to it.

Wargamer's curse, right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I created some sharp practice tokens and send them over to a friend who has a laser cutter and he cut them for me. Here are some pictures of them. I have a ton of them, way more than I'll ever need.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

Wargamer's curse, right there.

Indeed.

I took some time to write a little about the stuff I got. A lot of it will end up as other things than what's written on the box.

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/levee-en-masse

E: those SP2 counters are super cool!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there any chance the Warlord 10th anniversary deals will show up on the website?

I don't need Pegasus Bridge, but I might need a heavily disappointed Pegasus Bridge.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Is there any chance the Warlord 10th anniversary deals will show up on the website?

I don't need Pegasus Bridge, but I might need a heavily disappointed Pegasus Bridge.

Not sure, but I think the website version of the 10th anniversary stuff is free shipping for all orders.

e: might use it to spring for some more polish heads, so that I can convert up some Polish units.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
A quick dumb question about British organization during the Napoleonic Wars - it seems like often times in orders of battle you see 1/4 or 2/10 which I take to mean first battalion, fourth regiment, or second battalion, tenth regiment. And the battalions seem to be split up in different brigades. Am I reading this right? If so, does anyone know a reason why they did it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Regiment is an immutable* object which exists everywhere at once and is responsible for recruitment, training, traditions and the like. The Brigade is a field formation composed of multiple Battalions. These might be from the same Regiment but probably won't be. You'll probably see stuff like "3/Coldstream" too. As to why this happens, I think it's partially because the Battalion is the unit of manoeuvre and due to how Regiments could be raised by random rich dudes at times the actual size of the Regiment could be wildly variable so it might be impractical to form homogeneous Brigades, and partially because you don't want everyone who knows the words to the regimental song to end up being dead in Flanders.

*for certain values of immutable, defined as "until we feel like changing it" in most cases.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anyone here interested in a full set of 15mm scenery (terraced, single houses, destroyed and standing, sets of cobbled walls and hedges), a CoC German platoon (plus StuG, SdKz, Jagdpanzer III, a CoC Russian platoon, KV-1, ISU-52, T34, the CoC rulebook, dice and templates? I'm simply never going to get a chance to play this in anger. I'm based in the UK but it's not too heavy to ship.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 29, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm intrigued, but they'll likely not get used by me either these days...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

I'm simply never going to get a chance to play this in anger. I'm based in the UK but it's not too heavy to ship.
How can you be based in the UK and not have people with whom to play CoC? isn't your country filthy with grognardy historical gaming clubs? If the TFL forums are to be believed, there's lardy stuff happening all the time in the UK.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ only the worst kind of grognards. The kind of grogs who use their optional 'move a piece of terrain' rule to push the only thing stopping the whole board being a billiard table, into the far corner.

I'm thinking £50 + shipping for the lot? Seems fair since you're goons and that's about the cost of just the rulebooks and terrain.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Um, use more LOS-blocking terrain?

I'd be tempted by your offer, but I do CoC in 28mm. :sigh: Besides, if you sell all your poo poo, how will you host me for a game when I come to the UK to visit my wife's family next summer?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

The Regiment is an immutable* object which exists everywhere at once and is responsible for recruitment, training, traditions and the like. The Brigade is a field formation composed of multiple Battalions. These might be from the same Regiment but probably won't be. You'll probably see stuff like "3/Coldstream" too. As to why this happens, I think it's partially because the Battalion is the unit of manoeuvre and due to how Regiments could be raised by random rich dudes at times the actual size of the Regiment could be wildly variable so it might be impractical to form homogeneous Brigades, and partially because you don't want everyone who knows the words to the regimental song to end up being dead in Flanders.

*for certain values of immutable, defined as "until we feel like changing it" in most cases.

:allears:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, but this is the kind of person - as opposed to the specific situation

Ilor posted:

Um, use more LOS-blocking terrain?

I'd be tempted by your offer, but I do CoC in 28mm. :sigh: Besides, if you sell all your poo poo, how will you host me for a game when I come to the UK to visit my wife's family next summer?

What, you don't want to play Pike and Shotte!?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I mean, I'll play whatever as long as it's tiny mans and you explain the rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

^ only the worst kind of grognards. The kind of grogs who use their optional 'move a piece of terrain' rule to push the only thing stopping the whole board being a billiard table, into the far corner.

I'm thinking £50 + shipping for the lot? Seems fair since you're goons and that's about the cost of just the rulebooks and terrain.
Have you got pictures by any chance? I might be able to find them a good home.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I might spring for it myself

Edit: provided they're still for sale of course

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 29, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wowee, would you look at all my tiny mans :kiddo:

A rifle company (squads are 2:1 to avoid the bases being huge), platoon of Shermans, two 105mm Shermans, a platoon of TDs, artillery battery, and AT gun battery. And it cost like twenty bucks. Still waiting for decals for the tanks, though.

Now to get my equivalent Germans ready.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I made a post about some sweet rear end terrain, tokens, and unit cards for Sharp Practice

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2017/09/sharp-practice-terrain-tokens-and.html?m=1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

[quote="“muggins”" post="“476900347”"]
I made a post about some sweet rear end terrain, tokens, and unit cards for Sharp Practice

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2017/09/sharp-practice-terrain-tokens-and.html?m=1
[/quote]

This rules

Geisladisk posted:

Wowee, would you look at all my tiny mans :kiddo:

A rifle company (squads are 2:1 to avoid the bases being huge), platoon of Shermans, two 105mm Shermans, a platoon of TDs, artillery battery, and AT gun battery. And it cost like twenty bucks. Still waiting for decals for the tanks, though.

Now to get my equivalent Germans ready.

This does too

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I finished the bases on the British Guards battalion I painted a couple of weeks ago. The "square effect" looks so much better with basing done.

I also put them on my blog with some thoughts on the process.

https://tallhatsbadguns.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/british-guards/

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Could someone "sell" me on Napoleonics? It's seen as grog final form, and everyone in this thread does beautiful jobs with the models but it's never really spoken to me. Admittedly I've never tried a game in the period, but it comes across as "line up and volley till someone breaks."

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fishchips: love that square, it looks great with the basing!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Could someone "sell" me on Napoleonics? It's seen as grog final form, and everyone in this thread does beautiful jobs with the models but it's never really spoken to me. Admittedly I've never tried a game in the period, but it comes across as "line up and volley till someone breaks."

I still consider myself a fresh convert, so I'll give it a shot:

Tabletop wargames were invented for the period between Napoleonics and the Franco-Prussian war, and it shows. It is pretty much the period that is most suitable to "gamify". First of all there's a pretty balanced rock-paper-scissors balance between infantry, cavalry and artillery. Soon, real cavalry warfare will be a forgotten thing. Artillery has not yet gotten effective enough to force all infantry into skirmish formations, hugging the terrain, so you've got the chess-like changes of formations for infantry, with columns, attack columns, lines and squares, each one with distinct advantages and disadvantages. All these things open up for more tactical options than most historical periods, maybe even all of them.

On the fluffy side, it's a period where a lot of things happen. I find it interesting as a point in history where a lot of the modern state and modern politics evolve. I knew very little about the Napoleonic period before, and reading up on it did make my understanding of 19th and 20th century history a bit clearer. Compared to Medieval times you have a ton of sources to dig into, with first hand accounts through diaries and letters, not only from kings but from the foot soldiers. You can go as detailed as you want, and even find out lists of names of the officers of specific regiments.

Finally, I do believe that a lot of the attractiveness of the period is in the uniforms and unit types. It's pretty much the high point of uniforms in European history IMHO. Even towards the end of the period, things start to get blander. At the middle of the 19th century, it's all efficient and incredibly boring in comparison. I recently got a book with just pictures of the uniforms of various French units, and it's like 200 pages, crammed full of various uniforms. Warfare will never look this good again:

It's an interesting topic though, because I guess everyone have periods they don't "get". Personally, I don't get the appeal of the AWI or the FIW. I can kind of see the point of gaming the ACW, but I'd never ever do it. It just look drab as gently caress. Another period I don't see me ever getting into is modern, as in post-WW2 warfare.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 2, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
YOU WON'T SPEAK ILL ABOUT MODERNS I'LL CUT YOU

I think that guy's question would be best answered with some illustrations how Napoleonic gaming is more than just "two dapper lines shooting at each other"

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Moderns and post apocalyptic leans heavily towards skirmish, and can be really interesting.
But yes, painting Waterloo at 1 to 1 scale in 54mm is how grogs spend the last twenty years of their lives, followed by dying before they can get a game in.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
There's a lot more to it than "two lines pouring it on each other". I mean, that would be the case if you only had infantry on both sides, but with cavalry and artillery, you get interesting choices, like "if I soften up his line with artillery, I can charge with cavalry, break a hole in his line and flank him!" or "if I threaten his line into squares with cavalry, they're sitting ducks for artillery!". Infantry is more of a manoeuvre and resource-management game at larger scales. You have to decide where to put in your best troops to try and force and outcome, and where you need reserves to plug any holes.

I got a Black Powder battle report on my blog, which has both "lines pushing each other" but also lots of manoeuvre, cavalry attacks and a cannon laying waste with canister shot:

https://tallhatsbadguns.wordpress.com/2017/08/27/black-powder-battle/

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks these are actually the exact takes I was looking for, and yeah I'm sure everyone has their own "this is boring as hell" threshold when it comes to periods. Black Powder is modified Hail Caesar, right? I'm trying to get my group going on HC so maybe a toe into BP would be easier after that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thanks these are actually the exact takes I was looking for, and yeah I'm sure everyone has their own "this is boring as hell" threshold when it comes to periods. Black Powder is modified Hail Caesar, right? I'm trying to get my group going on HC so maybe a toe into BP would be easier after that.

Pretty much. The disadvantage, IMHO, of BP for a beginner is that you need quite a bit of troops to get started. It works well if you are ok with unpainted minis, as there are a lot of good and affordable plastic kits for most core infantry and also cavalry if you happen to play Brits of French. But it will be a bit of an initial slog to get them painted. We're approaching BP levels of forces after about a year of pretty decent output at the club.

In our latest AAR of sharp practice 2 we had a bit of cavalry duels, as well as an infantry shoot-out that devolved into a failed charge and then a slaughter:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-back-to-the-east

It was pretty much down to a dice roll in the end, wether or not the Russian carabiniers would make it into hand-to-hand with my French. So it was quite a nail-biter.

I like that in Napoleonics, cavalry can be super-effective when used right, but also brittle and prone to be "blown", as in using up their momentum and being wasted. So I find them a bit more of a double-edged sword than say, most Medieval games. Also, there are tons of very nice looking cavalry uniforms in this period.

I think that one of the most important things to do is to read up a little bit on the campaigns, and then check a lot of pictures from the period. If you feel that you're starting to get interested, get a single box of plastic troops, and see if you enjoy painting a bunch of infantry.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 2, 2017

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
You really need to decide on a scale early on. Both model-wise, but also game-wise. Do you want company level games? Pick Sharp Practice 2. This is also easier to paint for, since you need less troops.

Or do you want division or corps level games? Then BP is a nice place to start, but you gotta be prepared to paint a lot of stuff. If that's the case you might consider smaller scale models too, like 1/72, 15mm or even 6mm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh absolutely. Even our Hail Caesar experiments are going to be done by reforming our 6mm Saga bases. Anything tried in Napoleonics would be 6mm as well. Props to you larger scale guys but I don't have the space or time for anything larger.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Napoleonics, what is a good list of recommended reading? I just got into them, want to read more so I know more about the time and warfare at that time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Speaking of Napoleonics, what is a good list of recommended reading? I just got into them, want to read more so I know more about the time and warfare at that time.

Swords around a Throne is probably my #1 pick, even if you are not into France. It covers pretty much every aspect of a Napoleonic army, hs plenty of anecdotes to keep it from being too dry, and you can read the chapters in whatever order you like. Elting is pretty much THE dude that everyone quotes, and that's for a solid reason.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...pf_rd_i=desktop

Another book I picked up for super cheap second hand is French Cavalry, 1792-1815, by David Johnson. It was definitely worth it, and it was far from a dry book. Instead, it's full of those short stories of battlefield events that make a period come to life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Cav...ry%2C+1792-1815

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 2, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm just a weirdo who wants to skirmish in any historical period.

I would love to get some full plate armor dudes a la WoTR running around...

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Oh absolutely. Even our Hail Caesar experiments are going to be done by reforming our 6mm Saga bases. Anything tried in Napoleonics would be 6mm as well. Props to you larger scale guys but I don't have the space or time for anything larger.

Fortunately for you, 6mm Black Powder/Hail Caesar/Pike and Shotte is great. You can have divisions fighting each other on a small kitchen table and could have corps fighting each other on an 8x4!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

How does 6mm Saga even work? Do you just treat each base as a model?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That or individually base and play on a normal sized table.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah for infantry two 6mm strips = one model. Blatantly stole the idea from this guy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the idea of basing my Napoleonic at 6 to a base. Is this a bad idea or should I stick to 4 to a base?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I really like the idea of basing my Napoleonic at 6 to a base. Is this a bad idea or should I stick to 4 to a base?

6 seems pretty popular among people playing BP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

lilljonas posted:

6 seems pretty popular among people playing BP.

Sold. Do I need bigger bases