Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i didnt go to mass today and i feel bad about it

lol if you don't live in a town with a night mass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i live in a mid-tier northeastern city and literally the only night mass in the area is a 5 PM Korean service up the road

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

i didnt go to mass today and i feel bad about it

I attended a wedding mass yesterday afternoon (the happy couple were 78 and 76, respectively :3:) and when I asked the priest afterwards if that counted as an evening mass and would fulfil my sunday obligation he was like "yeah sure, i guess" so I didn't go either, but don't feel (too) bad about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i live in a mid-tier northeastern city and literally the only night mass in the area is a 5 PM Korean service up the road

still counts if it's in korean

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it only counts if its in latin, the language spoken by jesus himself

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I have some bad news for you.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

and japanese since he did go to japan

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Senju Kannon posted:

and japanese since he did go to japan

When did he find the time to go to England, then?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ceciltron posted:

He squeezed it in before his trip to the American southwest.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ceciltron posted:

He went to England as a child.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
where can I get an Agnus Dei sacramental? i'm going to hit up my local discalced carmelites this week

Paladinus posted:

He went to England as a child.

during which time he founded the monastery at Glastonbury, yes. common knowledge here, guys

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 2, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is why the Glastonbury music festival exists. Yeshua loved some good chunes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is why the Glastonbury music festival exists. Yeshua loved some good chunes

Ironically, I don't think ELP ever played there.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

lol if you don't live in a town with a night mass

orthodox liturgies are only allowed to be celebrated once per day per altar

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

this sounds like a reason to have two altars

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

this sounds like a reason to have two altars
i've been to a church in nyc that does

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i remember a lot of old european cathedrals have a bunch of side chapels dedicated to various big shots who donated money on the condition people would say mass for them, is that a thing with orthodox churches?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

i remember a lot of old european cathedrals have a bunch of side chapels dedicated to various big shots who donated money on the condition people would say mass for them, is that a thing with orthodox churches?

The baroque loving ruled in this regard (as it did in all others tbqh), St Stephen's cathedral in Vienna for example had 77 altars by the late 18th century iirc on which 150-200 masses were said. Per day

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

System Metternich posted:

The baroque loving ruled in this regard (as it did in all others tbqh), St Stephen's cathedral in Vienna for example had 77 altars by the late 18th century iirc on which 150-200 masses were said. Per day

mass en masse

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Meanwhile in England...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Orthodox cathedrals I've been to (Tokyo, Anchorage) both had chapels off to the side, each even with its own iconostasis. I think in the Tokyo cathedral they had confessions there.

Dunno how they're used during the week, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAIL posted:

In some Russian churches they have tiny side-altars when one service a day is not enough, but there's also not enough money for another dedicated altar.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

i am still not on board with the late 1600s, early 1600s for me

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
A cousin of mine has been discerning for a couple of years now, and is on the verge of taking monastic vows. I don't want to say which order. The family is proud and glad for him because it's the first and only thing he's ever done that they could take pride in. When I privately confronted him regarding his motivations for the change in lifestyle (if you've ever seen "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," he's always come off as a slightly more grounded in reality version of those characters and that ethos), he freely admitted that he has no religious vocation at all and is only going into the monastery because "It's free room and board and I get to go to sleep each night imagining all of you respecting me while I think about women and hood poo poo." He also claims that he's already sold the monks on the narrative that his family and friends are against him stepping out of the secular world, and that if I tell anyone else the truth, they'll think that I'm lying. I can't speak for the monks but all our relatives would absolutely take his side over mine on the matter.

Please pray for the good judgment of religiouses in knowing who is false, and I guess also for my cousin to grow some semblance of a conscience. Mostly the first one because my cousin's conscience is like a rock so big that God can't lift it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Alvarez IV posted:

A cousin of mine has been discerning for a couple of years now, and is on the verge of taking monastic vows. I don't want to say which order. The family is proud and glad for him because it's the first and only thing he's ever done that they could take pride in. When I privately confronted him regarding his motivations for the change in lifestyle (if you've ever seen "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," he's always come off as a slightly more grounded in reality version of those characters and that ethos), he freely admitted that he has no religious vocation at all and is only going into the monastery because "It's free room and board and I get to go to sleep each night imagining all of you respecting me while I think about women and hood poo poo." He also claims that he's already sold the monks on the narrative that his family and friends are against him stepping out of the secular world, and that if I tell anyone else the truth, they'll think that I'm lying. I can't speak for the monks but all our relatives would absolutely take his side over mine on the matter.

Please pray for the good judgment of religiouses in knowing who is false, and I guess also for my cousin to grow some semblance of a conscience. Mostly the first one because my cousin's conscience is like a rock so big that God can't lift it.

I know this isn't the encouragement you want, but trust me, things are going to shake out better for him. If he's a fraud, the monks won't gently caress around setting him straight, or they'll just throw him out again. Either way, he'll be closer to hitting the bottom, so he'll get the motivation needed to grow as a person.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Tias posted:

I know this isn't the encouragement you want, but trust me, things are going to shake out better for him. If he's a fraud, the monks won't gently caress around setting him straight, or they'll just throw him out again. Either way, he'll be closer to hitting the bottom, so he'll get the motivation needed to grow as a person.

It's mostly the order itself that I want to know is going to be okay through all of this. I know he's not going to start pimping out of the monastery, but I don't even like the idea of him being one of them in all outward and identifiable aspects while secretly holding the whole thing in contempt. I've got too much respect for sequestered religious groups to want to subject them to that. Hopefully they somehow read his mind because I'm convinced that if he wants to, he can live a long and happy life as a monk while compartmentalizing his true self. He only ever tells me this stuff because he likes having a Cassandra who knows the truth but no one will believe. As for hitting the bottom, I'd say he did that when he took in a gay teenage runaway that he started gaslighting into transitioning into a woman because he thought it would make for an interesting story about how he got a maid. The last thing he needs is motivation to grow as a person, unless you want him in politics.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
yeah uhhh, i hope he realizes that monastic rules are generally extraordinarily demanding. anyone under the rule of st. benedict is going to get up at about 3:30 am. monks get about seven hours' sleep each night and work during the day

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Don't troll this thread

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

My friends, I bear terrible news

https://twitter.com/giorgio_karam/status/914160538569072640

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Joining a monastic order to avoid hard work is quite possibly the dumbest plan I've ever heard. It's the kind of idea George Costanza would come up with.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And it's not like he'll actually join the order overnight. If he wants to work for a tiny room and food as a novice, let him, imo. Monks could use some help probably.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Joining a monastic order to avoid hard work is quite possibly the dumbest plan I've ever heard. It's the kind of idea George Costanza would come up with.

The Gang Joins The Benedictines

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I know a guy who I suspect is trying to pull almost exactly this same poo poo, except it's a way better grift because he wants to be an evangelical minister. Much easier/better paying than being a monk.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alvarez IV posted:

he freely admitted that he has no religious vocation at all and is only going into the monastery because "It's free room and board and I get to go to sleep each night imagining all of you respecting me while I think about women and hood poo poo."
peak early modern, right here

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Samuel Clemens posted:

he became Orthodox to get a woman, don't forget

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
It does seem like a sitcom plot. Lazy character joins a monastery to get out of working for a living but drives the head monk bonkers. Character realizes his mistakes and before leaving the monastery somehow saves it from some kind of plight.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There was an Italian (?) TV show where a prostitute (?) joined a monastery to hide from the mafia, and later decided to join for real. I remember very little about it, only that the novice habits were blue, so I'm not sure if it was before or after Sister Act.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
It's certainly possible that there were times in history where joining a monastic order would've been a path for ducking out of work, but those ages do seem far past.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CountFosco posted:

It's certainly possible that there were times in history where joining a monastic order would've been a path for ducking out of work, but those ages do seem far past.

i'd imagine it's less "ducking out of work" and more "doing a shitload of work but also getting access to a shitload of alcohol"

IANAMedievalist though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Assuming you aren't trolling you should know your cousin sounds like a legitimate psychopath.

• Locked thread