Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

By Kirk's time they figured out the problem: just have all the female crew wear miniskirts and everyone is much happier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
in the mirror universe, STD is a good show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some women didn't like it and a bunch quit, including nearly every female senior officer, but other than that everyone was really happy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
STD is the best star trek show since TNG

like, easily

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Facebook Aunt posted:

By Kirk's time they figured out the problem: just have all the female crew wear miniskirts and everyone is much happier!

i like that too roddenberry is a genius

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zzulu posted:

STD is the best star trek show since TNG

like, easily

Nice new redtext AV. Not quite as arousing as the old one though, but close!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Is it just me, or was Michael debugging a Windows Powershell script?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Why are these other convicts blaming Michael for the all the dead people from the Klingon conflict? Did star fleet put out some news saying it was all her fault or something? If so, that's pretty bastardly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also I kind of dislike the inner ring/outer ring design of the discovery. Looks fragile.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Also has everybody on Discovery been taking lessons on how to be an rear end in a top hat? Goddamn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Star Trek Discovery is the second best version of The Expanse television series. They are really similar. They both even have those stupid shaved temples combover hairstyles.

This episode was better, but I think it says something that right after finishing it I went to Netflix and watched the TNG episode Family. It's like I needed to remind myself how Star Trek used to handle post conflict trauma.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is that the one where Picard rolls around in the mud with his brother?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The thing is, The Expanse goes to great pains to make it's world look plausible according to our current understanding of physics and that's why a lot of it looks the way it does where as this show just kind of looks the way it does because yeah I yeah dunno

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

shadow puppet of a posted:

Testy gay scientist is the best villain on TV.

He's just so testy.

As long as he doesn't do a Z snap we should be ok

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Mondian posted:

It was super jarring seeing how poorly that starfleet security officer treated the prisoners. There are hundreds of hours of recorded Star Trek productions including scenes where they hold absolute power over their worst enemies and we never see them acting like that.

Feels weird.

Yeah it feels way too edgy. Calling them garbage/trash, saying they have to feed the animals.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that the one where Picard rolls around in the mud with his brother?

Yes. Psychological trauma can be solved by punching family members before crying on their shoulder and getting drunk off aged wine.

Tighclops posted:

The thing is, The Expanse goes to great pains to make it's world look plausible according to our current understanding of physics and that's why a lot of it looks the way it does where as this show just kind of looks the way it does because yeah I yeah dunno

STD looks the way it does because it spent a lot of time during production trying to poach set designers from The Expanse's set team.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

STD looks the way it does because it spent a lot of time during production trying to poach set designers from The Expanse's set team.

I wished they'd poached the guy that did the opening sequence, because STD's is the loving worst.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mondian posted:

I wished they'd poached the guy that did the opening sequence, because STD's is the loving worst.

And because The Expanse intro is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krqqqgixNq8

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Looks good and is functional, they give you a concise overview of the history of expansion and the three factions of the show. STD just throws out some stylized schematics of a hand phaser or random technology. I don't even think they actually show space in it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mondian posted:

Looks good and is functional, they give you a concise overview of the history of expansion and the three factions of the show. STD just throws out some stylized schematics of a hand phaser or random technology. I don't even think they actually show space in it.

You just have to have faith. . . of the heart.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i feel like the breath identification thing was created solely to show the anxious allergic ginger girl drooling in her sleep

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

gender illusionist posted:

mirror STD: everyone is nice and having a lovely time but has a goatee

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I don't like the Force Fungus bullshit, I do like the Captain.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Have you ever transwarped... ON SHROOMS!?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nice new redtext AV. Not quite as arousing as the old one though, but close!

This is the 2nd time I've got this otter AV from a mysterious benefactor

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The angry dog monster reminded me of the pinky demon from Doom 3

I hope Star Trek Discovery is a prequel to a DOOM show

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

I don't like the Force Fungus bullshit, I do like the Captain.

He's totally gonna be a secret fascist, ready to do anything to "end the war".

The General posted:

Why are these other convicts blaming Michael for the all the dead people from the Klingon conflict? Did star fleet put out some news saying it was all her fault or something? If so, that's pretty bastardly.

It was expected but it's presented in a pretty dumb way imo. The captain also says someting along the lines of "you started this war, help me end it". And Michael accepts all the blame, it would be better if she tried to defend herself. All she did was target the Klingon ship, I guess that counts somehow? Or because she ended up killing the prophet?

The captain even let her go on an away mission after she had been locked up for mutiny, but noone seems to care about that.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Why did they blow up that ship at the end. I thought the ship was fine it was just the crew that got Cronenberged. Like, they just got into a big space war, not the best time to be scuttling your own ships

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I have a bit of an issue with everyone blaming her for the war. She did do some good old mutiny but that in itself didn't result in a war did it? The whole thing was a setup by the klingons, something the federation acknowledged as well

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

She killed the Torchbearer.

Not that it matters, but she did draw first blood. What people should be mad about was her squandering her captain's sacrifice. The whole point of that mission was to capture that zealot and she just murdered him for petty revenge instead of actually completing the mission.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But the Torchbearer attacked her

was she supposed to let him kill her

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mondian posted:

Why did they blow up that ship at the end. I thought the ship was fine it was just the crew that got Cronenberged. Like, they just got into a big space war, not the best time to be scuttling your own ships

The whole ship was hosed up in the same way as the crew.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Using mushroom midochlorians to break the warp 10 barrier and be everywhere at once because the entire universe is a giant patch of slime mould. :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flatscan posted:

The whole ship was hosed up in the same way as the crew.

I haven't seen Discovery yet, but I can tell you for free that that if the crew is Cronenberged then the correct solution is to glass the ship. Because anything else just spreads the drat disease, no matter how careful you are and why take the loving risk? Nuke It From Orbit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zzulu posted:

But the Torchbearer attacked her

was she supposed to let him kill her

• She landed on the artifact when she was only supposed to do a drive by.

• Remained on the artifact when it began to react, showing that it was not inert.

• Let a loving klingon sneak up behind her. That's just terrible situational awareness.

• Killed the Torchbearer who attacked because she violated their artifact.

• Committed mutiny because she thought she knew better than her superior officers. Possibly distracting them during the critical moment when other action could have been taken.

• Locked weapons on the Klingon ship. No one in the federation got to see what was going on in the klingon ship before that, so it looks like provocation.

• Got her captain killed.

• Failed to complete the objective her captain died for.

• Failed to pull out some heroic technobabble bullshit at the last minute to fix everything.

Just the mutiny is enough to turn Starfleet against her. Being a mutineer at the site of a battle and diplomatic catastrophe is enough for everyone else in the federation to scapegoat her as the reason everything went wrong.

Sure, the klingons probably destroyed the nearby space station. At any time in the previous 50 years the klingons could simply have mentioned that they had an important cultural relic there and the Federation probably would have given them the system. The klingons at the relic could have communicated with the ship when they arrived, but didn't because those klingons were actively hoping to incite a war to reunite their fractured empire.

High ranking members of the federation who looked into it and read the reports have probably figured out that Michael didn't cause the war. So what? She is guilty of mutiny and reckless behavior. Why would they bother doing a big public information campaign to explain that while she is a reckless criminal she probably isn't responsible for the war and the 8k dead? Mistakes were made and people are dead. Michael is the highest ranking surviving officer from the ship that screwed the pooch. An orphan who is going to spend the rest of her life in prison for mutiny is a good scapegoat for public anger.

Michael doesn't bother trying to defend herself or explain what happened to random people because she's still grieving and probably does feel responsible for what happened, because she failed to find a way to stop it. And since she's a convicted felon the federation isn't going to force her into counseling to deal with her survivor guilt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The whole mould thing reeks of writers going "we need this ship to go anywhere instantly but can't piss off nerds who care about warp speed" so they came up with the dumbest possible reason why this ship and this ship only can do the thing

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't seen Discovery yet, but I can tell you for free that that if the crew is Cronenberged then the correct solution is to glass the ship. Because anything else just spreads the drat disease, no matter how careful you are and why take the loving risk? Nuke It From Orbit.

It was due to dodgy Philadelphia-Experiment style teleportation tech rather than contagion, the ship was just too damaged to be salvageable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TTerrible posted:

Using mushroom midochlorians to break the warp 10 barrier and be everywhere at once because the entire universe is a giant patch of slime mould. :shepface:
Is this Star Trek or Electric Dreams?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder how they'll eventually bury the magic spores? Does it work but Section 31 buries it because it is an uncontrollable threat? Does it turn out that occasionally spiralizing the crew is an inevitable side effect? Does it let monsters from another dimension teleport in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So this is why they had a mycologist on the crew.

You know what I want to see? A Starfleet member who hails from the Gangster Planet. Or the Rome Planet.