Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If they just casually released it tomorrow I would be a happy, happy person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fintilgin posted:

I think I backed at $58 which was sufficient, but you should be able to just log into kickstarter and check your old pledge.
Looks like it's the $45 tier for anyone so concerned.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Kickstarter? I gave Crate money before Kickstarter was even a twinkle in the Internet's eye. I had to send them gold bullion by carrier pigeon. Ok, maybe I just had to send them money through their website.

Man, I keep getting my hardcore arena dudes exploded in the mid-twenties. I suck at builds. I have figured out how to survive at level 1, though. Chipped Claw for your weapon and Battered Shell(?) for your shield will see you through if you want to tough it out without touching singleplayer.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

However many years played and I ~just~ found the dynamite section in Lower Crossing.

Currently running amok with flash freeze, greater fireblast and haunt. Hurry up expansion.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
They just posted that October 11th is the release date. Hype!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm still searching for a build that feels great to play. I had been doing a demo two handed gun build but it got boring after a while. Respecced into a DOT based build, found it boring.

My favorite builds in ARPGs are the "dart around the map, dive into the middle of a pack and cause everything to melt." is there anything like that in this game?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lechtansi posted:

I'm still searching for a build that feels great to play. I had been doing a demo two handed gun build but it got boring after a while. Respecced into a DOT based build, found it boring.

My favorite builds in ARPGs are the "dart around the map, dive into the middle of a pack and cause everything to melt." is there anything like that in this game?

There may well be some new hotness coming with the expansion but my favorite for that sort of thing (and I will stress that it is just my favorite, not necessarily the best or most optimal) is a dual wielding Nightblade combo (witch hunter or spellbreaker are what I usually go with) centered around Amerasta's Blade Burst.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Lechtansi posted:

Dual Wield Nightblade + Whatever
Shadow Strike + Nightfall right click with Amarasta's Blade Burst + Lethal Assault as your left click. Quick Cut and Execution. Plus whatever else.

If you're more of a sword and board dude, Soldier has Blitz.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 2, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Stokes posted:

Dual Wield Nightblade + Whatever
Shadow Strike + Nightfall right click with Amarasta's Blade Burst + Lethal Assault as your left click. Quick Cut and Execution. Plus whatever else.

If you're more of a sword and board dude, Soldier has Blitz.

Got a link? I'll check it out and if its fun I'll pitch in for the expansion. I'm always up for supporting indie devs making ARPGs (don't remind me how much i've spent on POE).

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Lechtansi posted:

Got a link? I'll check it out and if its fun I'll pitch in for the expansion. I'm always up for supporting indie devs making ARPGs (don't remind me how much i've spent on POE).

http://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRx5B2D Something like this is what I'm going for currently. I'm not one of those dorks on the official forums that is concerned about min maxing builds so throw points elsewhere however you're comfortable. As far as constellations go, work towards Leviathan.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Lechtansi posted:

It sounds like you want either a Spellbreaker (possibly 2h) or a Nightblade/Inquisitor combo, which will hit in a week (though you can start playing as a plain Nightblade now and pick Inquisitor later).

Spellbreakers are considered among the strongest builds in the game right now, example here:
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gLO7Vy

That build has a very low cooldown Shadowstrike that hits like a truck, solid AoE in Amarastas, good damage mitigation through Shadow Dance and Maiven's and 2 invulnerabilities.

Inquisitor builds will likely dual-wield and use Shard of Beronath with WPS skills (the top row of Nightblade) to compensate for the lower cooldown reduction.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I completely forgot this game existed for a few months. I've tried a few builds but with every single one I hit a wall when I reached Act 2 (when you go across the bridge to the northwest of Devil's Crossing), where I suddenly could barely damage anything and got hosed up in 2 seconds. Is that a a side effect of putting it on veteran? I thought the additional enemies would make me level up faster to make the game less boring :v:

The Mash posted:

It sounds like you want either a Spellbreaker (possibly 2h) or a Nightblade/Inquisitor combo, which will hit in a week (though you can start playing as a plain Nightblade now and pick Inquisitor later).

Spellbreakers are considered among the strongest builds in the game right now, example here:
http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gLO7Vy

That build has a very low cooldown Shadowstrike that hits like a truck, solid AoE in Amarastas, good damage mitigation through Shadow Dance and Maiven's and 2 invulnerabilities.

Inquisitor builds will likely dual-wield and use Shard of Beronath with WPS skills (the top row of Nightblade) to compensate for the lower cooldown reduction.

I'm probably gonna start over with a Nightblade cause I loved the skill that basically gives you another health potion and all the flying around with shadow strike. Is this the best setup if I wanna fly into an enemy group and annihilate them? Or should I go for all those passive skills on the top?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 3, 2017

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm probably gonna start over with a Nightblade cause I loved the skill that basically gives you another health potion and all the flying around with shadow strike. Is this the best setup if I wanna fly into an enemy group and annihilate them? Or should I go for all those passive skills on the top?

The passive skills are used with dual weapons and an auto-attack replacer (Fire Strike, Savagery, Shard of Beronath or Mistborn Talisman -- technically also Cadence although they don't stack and as such don't pair well). A dual-wield build with the weapon pool skills (the top row) needs attack speed and is generally better at killing bosses quickly, but worse at groups. A 2h (or dual-wield) Shadow Strike/Blade Burst build is more burst-based, better at in-and-out and kills packs and low HP mobs faster (read: instantly). Both builds are mostly cold-damage based, with a healthy side of pierce damage.

As I said above, I feel like both are strong builds, though right now, Shadow Strike/Blade Burst pairs better with Arcanist, whereas the WPS build pairs better with Inquisitor, which is not yet released. Inquisitor is coming in a week though, so you can definitely start a Nightblade for that purpose now.

I feel WPS pairs better with Inquisitor because:
1. You lose cooldown reduction when dropping Arcanist, which is a big loss for Shadow Strike/Blade Burst but not for WPS
2. Inquistors get 33% on-demand ranged dodge, which stacks with Shadow Dance and the Deathmarked set (which is usable by both builds but more suitable for WPS) to give you near 100% ranged dodge. You can even hit 100% through the right combination of item rolls and devotions.

GrossMurpel posted:

I completely forgot this game existed for a few months. I've tried a few builds but with every single one I hit a wall when I reached Act 2 (when you go across the bridge to the northwest of Devil's Crossing), where I suddenly could barely damage anything and got hosed up in 2 seconds. Is that a a side effect of putting it on veteran? I thought the additional enemies would make me level up faster to make the game less boring :v:

You often end up levelling faster on normal than veteran, since most of your XP comes from quests, and you complete those faster when mobs have less HP.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Mash posted:

The passive skills are used with dual weapons and an auto-attack replacer (Fire Strike, Savagery, Shard of Beronath or Mistborn Talisman -- technically also Cadence although they don't stack and as such don't pair well). A dual-wield build with the weapon pool skills (the top row) needs attack speed and is generally better at killing bosses quickly, but worse at groups. A 2h (or dual-wield) Shadow Strike/Blade Burst build is more burst-based, better at in-and-out and kills packs and low HP mobs faster (read: instantly). Both builds are mostly cold-damage based, with a healthy side of pierce damage.

As I said above, I feel like both are strong builds, though right now, Shadow Strike/Blade Burst pairs better with Arcanist, whereas the WPS build pairs better with Inquisitor, which is not yet released. Inquisitor is coming in a week though, so you can definitely start a Nightblade for that purpose now.

I feel WPS pairs better with Inquisitor because:
1. You lose cooldown reduction when dropping Arcanist, which is a big loss for Shadow Strike/Blade Burst but not for WPS
2. Inquistors get 33% on-demand ranged dodge, which stacks with Shadow Dance and the Deathmarked set (which is usable by both builds but more suitable for WPS) to give you near 100% ranged dodge. You can even hit 100% through the right combination of item rolls and devotions.

You often end up levelling faster on normal than veteran, since most of your XP comes from quests, and you complete those faster when mobs have less HP.

I'll try the blade burst build then, thanks. When do you usually go for a second mastery? Cause it looks like the Arcanist skills in that build are mostly to augment damage, not required early on. Also, do you prioritize putting points in the mastery while leveling up (i.e. keeping the skills like shadow strike and blade burst at level 1 until you're mastery level 50)?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I'll try the blade burst build then, thanks. When do you usually go for a second mastery? Cause it looks like the Arcanist skills in that build are mostly to augment damage, not required early on. Also, do you prioritize putting points in the mastery while leveling up (i.e. keeping the skills like shadow strike and blade burst at level 1 until you're mastery level 50)?

I usually like to max out one attack skill (usually blade burst in this case) while leveling since overwhelming force is the best way to deal with enemies early on before you have good gear or defenses available. You can always buy those points back later if you want.

There's also a ring that drops pretty commonly from the boss in the slith cavern beneath Devil's Crossing that gives you a +2 to blade burst. Get a couple of those early, slap some ectoplasm on them, and basically don't worry about anything til like act 3 or so.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lechtansi posted:

This is exactly what I do with my blademaster. Blitz+Shadow Strike lets you dart around, Nightfall lets you AoE, and Pneumatic Burst is a nice heal+buff. I'll upload my character to grimtools and link it when I get home.

Edit: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2gRxONy Probably gonna put a point into Blindside, fill up Menhir's Bulwark and Squad Tactics, and then dump the rest into Nidalla's Justifiable Ends.

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 4, 2017

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

In 45 minutes the composer of the music for Ashes of Malmouth is streaming on twitch to talk about the composition of the music, if you're into that sort of thing. https://www.twitch.tv/skewsound

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm enjoying the spellbreaker, thanks for the advice everyone!

How does everyone typically play this game? Like, i'm enjoying the campaign but i can imagine going through everything 3 times is a bit of a slog. Does every just rush to the end of the first two difficulties and then play the full game on the final? Or is playing through three times literally the whole game and I should max out reputation, etc each time?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lechtansi posted:

I'm enjoying the spellbreaker, thanks for the advice everyone!

How does everyone typically play this game? Like, i'm enjoying the campaign but i can imagine going through everything 3 times is a bit of a slog. Does every just rush to the end of the first two difficulties and then play the full game on the final? Or is playing through three times literally the whole game and I should max out reputation, etc each time?
I usually crucible up to 20 or so, then blast my way through normal asap while getting all the shrines, do elite as fast as I can (not hard since it's almost identical in difficulty but you have way better gear throughout), and then do a proper playthrough on ultimate. Sometimes I'll make a character and just go through full completion three times but really lazily, in a sort of "well I have 30 minutes to kill, may as well hop on that one character and advance that plot a little" kind of way.

I have to send my laptop in to get fixed because the space bar is being stupid and the screen apparently has a loose connection, and the only way I can have it repaired under warranty is to UPS it to their place in CA on my dime. Thanks, MSI, guess I'll miss out on all the early expansion fun. :(

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, if you want to take the crucible express to level ~16, enter single player, reach level 2 and choose a couple of powers. Go to the crucible and enjoy being level 8 after the first 10 rounds. Your first 5 constellation (devotion?) points cost 3 of the points you get from completing crucible stuff. Conveniently, doing the first 10 rounds and then cashing out gets you 3 of those points. Do this five times and you'll be grossly over leveled for the start of the game, probably have some decent equipment, and be effectively 5 shrines ahead of a singleplayer character.

It's not a bad deal. Just be sure to hit every shrine in your path to maximize your headstart on the path of conquering the stars! As a note, while you can get points for your constellations from the crucible, doing so does not alter the maximum points available. It just means you can stop hunting shrines earlier, I guess.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I do the same thing I with all arpgs. Play through with a couple different style characters on veteran normal difficulty and then go play some other game. :lol:

I always sort of intend to go back and do the higher difficulties, but the slowing down of character development and repeated content tends to get to me.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Fintilgin posted:

I do the same thing I with all arpgs. Play through with a couple different style characters on veteran normal difficulty and then go play some other game. :lol:

I always sort of intend to go back and do the higher difficulties, but the slowing down of character development and repeated content tends to get to me.

What does veteran do? I'm currently steamrolling all the content, but thats my favorite way to play ARPGs.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just makes the early game a bit more challenging. Honestly the biggest thing keeping me from playing this is the fact that I would have to replay it 3 times to get to "endgame"

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That's why you should play the first round through on normal instead of veteran and just blast through the main quests and devotions shrines as fast as you can. You'll slow down and do the content thoroughly in Elite difficulty, and by the time you actually start ultimate, you'll be level 70 and in the endgame, so ultimate will seem a bit less repetitive that way.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Veteran buffs enemy stats a bit, makes the enemy packs a small bit larger and makes champions spawn more frequently, yeah?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Huh, I'd thought it also upped the drop-rates/quality of loot. If not, I'll definitely stop doing first-runs on Vet and just plow through to Elite.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Dr_Gee posted:

Huh, I'd thought it also upped the drop-rates/quality of loot. If not, I'll definitely stop doing first-runs on Vet and just plow through to Elite.

I think it does in so far as more champs or whatever means more loot. I guess I'll try running on normal next time too, I always get totally burnt out on the game/storyline by the end of the first play through.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The whole thing of having to play the game three times to see the best content and have serious challenges has irritated me since Diablo 2. Like, how about you give me the full sweep of difficulty and cool poo poo in one playthrough instead of making me play through the entire game once as if it were an extended tutorial. :mad:

Edit: I may just not be a good fit for arpgs. The whole play style of endlessly grinding "end game content" to perfect a build strikes me with horror.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 6, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Fintilgin posted:

Edit: I may just not be a good fit for arpgs. The whole play style of endlessly grinding "end game content" to perfect a build strikes me with horror.

I used to feel this way too, I loved ARPGs but I would always quit at or before the endgame because poring over stats and builds didn't appeal to me at all. I had to find a specific game that made that process fun for me to break through, and of all possible things it was The Division that did it. Now I'm much more interested in getting my GD characters to the endgame and optimizing their builds, where before I would just quit after beating Normal.

That being said, I really hope GD is the last great ARPG to do the multiple difficulties thing. Diablo III moved to dynamic scaling and Path of Exile actually tripled the amount of content in their game to replace their difficulties. Would be nice if they could do something like that here but I certainly don't expect it.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Too Shy Guy posted:

I used to feel this way too, I loved ARPGs but I would always quit at or before the endgame because poring over stats and builds didn't appeal to me at all. I had to find a specific game that made that process fun for me to break through, and of all possible things it was The Division that did it. Now I'm much more interested in getting my GD characters to the endgame and optimizing their builds, where before I would just quit after beating Normal.

That being said, I really hope GD is the last great ARPG to do the multiple difficulties thing. Diablo III moved to dynamic scaling and Path of Exile actually tripled the amount of content in their game to replace their difficulties. Would be nice if they could do something like that here but I certainly don't expect it.

A full playthrough of the new POE content takes me about 20 hours. Thats about the same amount of time it's gonna take me to finish my first GD normal playthrough. I bet Crate could just scale "normal" to be 1-70, but in the appropriate amount of shrines and call it a day.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Path of Exile did it right, otherwise, get a cheat engine and just go immediately to Ultimate. Playing through the stripped down version after you've already beaten it is boring.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

victrix posted:

Path of Exile did it right, otherwise, get a cheat engine and just go immediately to Ultimate. Playing through the stripped down version after you've already beaten it is boring.

On that note, what level would folks recommend for doing this? 50?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dr_Gee posted:

On that note, what level would folks recommend for doing this? 50?
70. 50 is where you should be after completing normal, you should be about 70-75 after elite.

Gonna want to get one of the editors that lets you fiddle with rep levels unless you love the idea of grinding, just FYI.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Download an appropriate blank character on the forums instead, so all the correct reward quests etc are done.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Cool, thanks.

Ya, I think that'd be the easiest thing to do to maximize fun playing-and-fiddling-with-builds time over less-than-ideal mucking about in an editor time.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
That new Belgothian set.

Just a low optimized blademaster has 12k flat pierce damage, 2000% pierce damage, Around 60% pierce resist reduction, And gets a better version of savagery to go with it.

Blademasters are gonna be so good when the patch drops.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Where did you see the new set? I'm playing a DW Nightblade right now and I'm curious to see what's going to change for me.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
The grim tools database got an update a day or two ago, all the new stuff is up http://www.grimtools.com/db/

Some of the new mythical sets are pretty bonkers as well, the new skill modifiers on gear are a concept I really enjoy.

Sweetgrass fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 9, 2017

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh neat! Now I'm glad that it's a slow day at work and I can look at all that fancy new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The stuff that converts the physical damage of Grenado and Canister Bomb to fire damage looks very appealing.

I've been trying to theorycraft a fire and lightning demolitionist/inquisitor but I'm not loving the lightning focused gear, I'm probably missing something though.