Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I snagged a couple of the $7 Walmart seasonal blus and learned that I have somehow never seen the original Child's Play.

Also heads up, their edition of Poltergeist is a 2015 remake that I apparently forgot happened. At least it stars Sam Rockwell :smugjones:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Iron Crowned posted:

Also heads up, their edition of Poltergeist is a 2015 remake that I apparently forgot happened. At least it stars Sam Rockwell :smugjones:

It's actually surprisingly not that bad. As far as remakes go, you could do way worse. I'd say it's one of the better ones of the last decade or so.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon has Universal’s Marx Bros. set for $18.99 right now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K...rQ6L&ref=plSrch

It has all five Paramount comedies from new 4K restorations: The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup. Animal Crackers is the newly rediscovered pre-code version and there’s a feature-length documentary on the films.

The films don’t look perfect, but they’re all a gigantic improvement over the DVDs.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Mimic UV code: 96CM47JJB3Q6

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

smallmouth posted:

Mimic UV code:

I redeemed this, thanks!

Was just thinking about this movie yesterday too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jumanji UHD - Dec. 4

New 4K remaster from the camera negative. New features include deleted scenes and a gag reel featuring Robin Williams.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

codyclarke posted:

It's actually surprisingly not that bad. As far as remakes go, you could do way worse. I'd say it's one of the better ones of the last decade or so.

gently caress that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rocco posted:

gently caress that.

I held off commenting because I figured maybe I was just pissed off that I got fooled like that, but I found it to be very unnecessary at best.

It felt like it couldn't decide if it was a straight up remake or a reboot. They renamed all the characters, and gave the brother a half-assed redemption arc which made it feel like they rushed the script. I think there were only two things I liked, the concept of using a drone, and the "Hooper High School" bumper sticker. Even Sam Rockwell was underused and felt to me like he was just phoning it in.

Not to mention the CGI was PS2 levels of bad, especially for 2015.

EDIT:
On the other hand it did make me wonder what people thought at the time about remakes of what we consider classics now like The Thing or The Fly.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I know that The Thing was poorly received on release.

Vincent Canby of the New York Times posted:

"a foolish, depressing, overproduced movie that mixes horror with science fiction to make something that is fun as neither one thing or the other. Sometimes it looks as if it aspired to be the quintessential moron movie of the 80s.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

On the other hand it did make me wonder what people thought at the time about remakes of what we consider classics now like The Thing or The Fly.

I remember a Danish reviewer being upset about Cronenberg wasting his time on a "conventional horror remake" (or something of that ilk) like The Fly. I agree that it's not as out there as some of his earlier stuff, but that doesn't make it less awesome.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Did anyone order Devil's Honey from severin?

They said my preorder was "ready" about a week ago but I haven't received a shipping confirmation/tracking email. First time pre-ordering from them so I'm not sure if I need to do something or just be patient.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

EDIT:

I always wondered what Vincent Price thought of the remake and looking around on the internet, I scrounged up my answer!

quote:

Vincent Price starred in the original 1958 The Fly and Goldblum reached out to the icon via letter. Goldblum wrote that “I hope you like it as much as I liked yours”. After viewing the movie, Price wrote back that it was “wonderful right up to a certain point… it went a little too far.”

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon just dropped the original House of Wax to $14.99.

https://www.amazon.com/House-of-Wax...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's been $30+ for the longest time. Not only in 3-D, but from a 4K restoration with a re-creation of the original stereo surround track, plus a commentary, making-of doc, the 1933 film Mystery of the Wax Museum, and the trailer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Liar Lyre posted:

I know that The Thing was poorly received on release.

We should all aspire to be the quintessential moron movie of the 80s.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for Glengarry Glen Ross. Please post if you take it so other don't bother: TAKEN.

UV code for Hardcore Henry. As before, please post if you take it: TAKEN.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 4, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Glengarry Glen Ross. Please post if you take it so other don't bother: JGTGTMBJWTGQ.

Grabbed Glengarry. Imma abstain from taking these for a while, I seem to get lucky when clicking this thread with an unfair frequency. Thanks for posting codes, you're doing God's work.

My wife's gonna see Glengarry tonight

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2017

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

TheScott2K posted:

Grabbed Glengarry. Imma abstain from taking these for a while, I seem to get lucky when clicking this thread with an unfair frequency. Thanks for posting codes, you're doing God's work.

My wife's gonna see Glengarry tonight

UV codes are for closers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cloks posted:

UV codes are for closers.

Always be coding

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

UV code for Hardcore Henry. As before, please post if you take it: PKAHAEKLTH6H.
I grabbed Hardcore Henry. Thank you!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the subject of the upcoming Ghibli re-releases, as far as anyone is aware is the information in this list accurate? It would mean that the only titles I might want/need to double dip on are Kiki, Laputa, and Mononoke.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

UV code for John Wick (the first, not the second). Please post if you take it so others don't bother: TAKEN.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 6, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
John Wick is great, whoever claims that will be very happy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Unless they love dogs. (My wife won't watch it.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the best movie for dog lovers though.

He murders a ton of people over a dog. If that's doesn't make you hug your pup, nothing will.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Claimed it! Thanks a bunch!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon just dropped the original House of Wax to $14.99.

https://www.amazon.com/House-of-Wax...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's been $30+ for the longest time. Not only in 3-D, but from a 4K restoration with a re-creation of the original stereo surround track, plus a commentary, making-of doc, the 1933 film Mystery of the Wax Museum, and the trailer.

Thanks for the heads up on this. It was the same price in the .ca store so I snatched it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Unless they love dogs. (My wife won't watch it.)

She can watch the sequel though, the dog is 100% safe the whole movie and even gets to hang out with Lance Reddick.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/wbshop/status/917132507480457219

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Figures, I just bought the dvd sets two months ago

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Aww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I hope they don't gently caress it up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rewatching BTAS is sorta weird since a whole lot of the episodes are really bad (like the one where Batman gets amnesia and joins some sort of slave labor camp?) and we just remember the amazing ones like Heart of Ice.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

GrandpaPants posted:

Rewatching BTAS is sorta weird since a whole lot of the episodes are really bad (like the one where Batman gets amnesia and joins some sort of slave labor camp?) and we just remember the amazing ones like Heart of Ice.

I think the majority of them are great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

Season one has a few clunkers for sure but episode you're talking about rules, so maybe you just have bad taste.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I used to have major rose-colored glasses about BTAS. I became a big fan of Batman Beyond and Justice League but had this vague sense that they still weren't as unbelievably amazing as BTAS. But when you go back and watch it... I'd say it's about even. They were really churning 'em out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea if you look at the ten best episodes of each season it may be the best animated show ever made, but they were cranking out 20+ per season and like a third of them aren't that great. But the lesser episodes are still way better than what was in kid's cartoons at the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As a show for kids I think it's really very good. "Serious" action shows for kids were absolute trash at that time, so even the ones that don't pass muster as good in an absolute sense were generally better than anything else at the time.

I watched some Gargoyles a while back, and in a sense it seems really clear that show had a goal of out-sophisticating the Batman cartoon in terms of plot and character complexity. Their main villain is a millionaire with a ton of gadgets and a super-suit who is also an emotionally rich and deep character. It's almost like a parody of kids' entertainment trying to be "serious.l

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's definitely true that the stuff from that time that stands out today are the shows that did the bare minimum to not insult the intelligence of the kids watching. So like, Gargoyles, as simplistic a show as it is, had characters expressing legit emotions and also staying somewhat consistent. The different gargoyles had their own character that didn't just change at the drop of a hat to serve the needs of this weeks' episode. That alone put it ahead of most other shows and made you feel like you were watching a "real show" as a kid.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Aww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I hope they don't gently caress it up.

Better not be a BD-R release.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

codyclarke posted:

Better not be a BD-R release.

I was thinking more in terms of them doing dumb poo poo like cropping it into widescreen or doing a lovely remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

WB doesn't do BD-R, only replicated Blu-rays. They just do smaller runs than a regular release if it's Warner Archive.

Also, they've been good about keeping original aspect ratios. The Blu-ray of the It miniseries is the original broadcast version in 1.33:1 instead of 1.78:1 and edited to feature-length like the DVD. I think they even kept the 1.33:1 aspect ratio for Justice League.

• Locked thread