Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was put off simply by the tone of all the reviews being "axiom verge does what Nintendon't. They didn't have the courage to make a new metroid game. "

konami was making metroid games with castlevania for loving ever so it's not like axion verge filled a niche, especially one that is oversaturated as gently caress now. that being said I'll still play Hollow Knight.

Darkest Dungeon may be hitting by year's end, or at least that's the tenuous goal the devs have for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It looks too dark for me. Maybe if it were just in like the 90th percentile of dark dungeons. Any more than that is too much for me.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Are there some grips I can get for the Joycons to make them thiccer when playing in the fully portable config? My hands start to cramp after about 25 minutes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Are there some grips I can get for the Joycons to make them thiccer when playing in the fully portable config? My hands start to cramp after about 25 minutes.

Would also like to know this. I got these TNP grips: http://a.co/eoH6943 and they're just not thick enough to actually make any difference to me while playing with them on the console.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

EpicNemesis posted:

Haven’t really ever played a farming sim. Closest thing I guess is Animal Crossing which I enjoy but I do also enjoy puzzles.

If you enjoy puzzles, Picross is addictive. There are free Picross games on smartphone and tablets, so if you have never played any picross, try those first. If you have an iPhone/ipad, I recommend "World's Biggest Picture Cross". It has hundreds of puzzles, but it uses one of those token systems where you have to wait X amount of time for you tokens to regenerate (every 3 minutes you get a token until you hit 10 tokens, and then every day you log on you get more tokens, and periodically you get bonus tokens for beating a puzzle, and more bonus tokens for watching a 30 second video). So you can beat the whole thing with patience without having to do microtransactions (I actually like it because otherwise I would have the urge to just play picross all day).

But ya, give a free Picross game a try and if you like it, then you can't go wrong with the Switch version. I hadn't played it on a console/handheld since the Zelda Picross on 3DS, I should look into the other ones on my 3DS.

Tensokuu posted:

If it helps, CF is just the publisher of Stardew (they helped with the port/multiplayer stuff) but they're not the main developer. The main dev is just a single dude.

Ya, I am already over it after sleeping on it. I'll probably just wait until after I beat Odyssey anyway since Picross is occupying my time on the Switch, and Samus Returns on my 3DS (and I should beat Horizon on the PS4 finally). Still undecided on whether to buy Golf Story or Stardew Valley first.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 3, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Axiom Verge is actually a pretty fun game and the soundtrack is fantastic, hth

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was put off simply by the tone of all the reviews being "axiom verge does what Nintendon't. They didn't have the courage to make a new metroid game. "

AV was released when the only metroid game in the last decade was Other M so the salt levels are/were understandable imo

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I keep remembering we're getting a new No More Heroes game on Switch and it makes me happy. Travis deserves to be in the next Smash tbh

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I keep remembering we're getting a new No More Heroes game on Switch and it makes me happy. Travis deserves to be in the next Smash tbh

Wanna see Kirby wearing those yellow shades tbh

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AV is good to scratch that metroidvania itch off but if you don't play it you are not missing much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

EpicNemesis posted:

Okay guys, let’s say that a person is horrible and has never played any picross iteration and has never played stardew. Which game should that horrible person play between now and Mario.

Disgaea 5

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I may have asked this before, but does Stardew have a strong modding community? I have it on Steam but haven't played it, and I'm more inclined to sacrifice versatility if it's got a lot of awesome mods a la Minecraft, or if you need to use mods/debug consoles to escape game breaking bugs a la Fallout 3.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EpicNemesis posted:

Okay guys, let’s say that a person is horrible and has never played any picross iteration and has never played stardew. Which game should that horrible person play between now and Mario.

Golf Story. It's loads of fun with an actually funny script. I don't like real golf at all, but casual golf games like Mario Golf and Golf Story are loads of fun, and the amount of variation in the game play (through course changes, intentional handicaps, and alternate modes) and a surprising number of sidequsts means that you don't get golf fatigue (the main reason I stopped playing Mario Golf: World Tour).

There was a lot of dubious pre-release hype but I can safely say post-release that the Golf Story hype is real.

(Also get picross)

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 3, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Argue posted:

I may have asked this before, but does Stardew have a strong modding community? I have it on Steam but haven't played it, and I'm more inclined to sacrifice versatility if it's got a lot of awesome mods a la Minecraft, or if you need to use mods/debug consoles to escape game breaking bugs a la Fallout 3.

a la I a la don't a la think a la modding a la is a la supported a la on a la Switch.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

FireMrshlBill posted:

If you enjoy puzzles, Picross is addictive. There are free Picross games on smartphone and tablets, so if you have never played any picross, try those first. If you have an iPhone/ipad, I recommend "World's Biggest Picture Cross". It has hundreds of puzzles, but it uses one of those token systems where you have to wait X amount of time for you tokens to regenerate (every 3 minutes you get a token until you hit 10 tokens, and then every day you log on you get more tokens, and periodically you get bonus tokens for beating a puzzle, and more bonus tokens for watching a 30 second video). So you can beat the whole thing with patience without having to do microtransactions (I actually like it because otherwise I would have the urge to just play picross all day).

But ya, give a free Picross game a try and if you like it, then you can't go wrong with the Switch version. I hadn't played it on a console/handheld since the Zelda Picross on 3DS, I should look into the other ones on my 3DS.

Ya, I am already over it after sleeping on it. I'll probably just wait until after I beat Odyssey anyway since Picross is occupying my time on the Switch, and Samus Returns on my 3DS (and I should beat Horizon on the PS4 finally). Still undecided on whether to buy Golf Story or Stardew Valley first.

Downloaded the game you said to learn about Picross and immediately got addicted and wanted a version with no ads that isn't on my tiny phone screen, so now I own Picross S on my perfect Nintendo Switch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Argue posted:

The modding community for the most part is visual (ie, nude) mods, though some people did do some cool stuff like make it so you can romance anyone in the game and there are the usual load of quality of life things. I don't think there were ever any game breaking bugs that got fixed by mods before an official patch though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

A new waverace and you hold the joycons like handles.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

njsykora posted:

The modding community for the most part is visual (ie, nude) mods, though some people did do some cool stuff like make it so you can romance anyone in the game and there are the usual load of quality of life things. I don't think there were ever any game breaking bugs that got fixed by mods before an official patch though.

the best stardew mods are the one that make it so your fences don't break and the one that lets you change the length of days (i like to make my days just sliiiiightly longer, feel like they're a bit on the short side as-is)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo, they just announced Harvest Moon!

for the 3DS

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wanna see Kirby wearing those yellow shades tbh

All potential smash newcomers should be evaluated by how the new Kirby powerup looks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sam Faust posted:

All potential smash newcomers should be evaluated by how the new Kirby powerup looks.

the system works

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Kirby looks like a chubby androgynous emo anime fanatic..... who has a pet cat.

edit: and watching your two avatars is kind of mesmerizing... I know they are the same speed, but some reason Manky's looks faster

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 3, 2017

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Finished Golf Story and got bored and bought Double Dragon 4. ( I knew going in it was supposedly bad, but it was cheap. ) I'm sure it's probably rose tinted glasses, but it's pretty sad that a modern classic Double Dragon game isn't actually better than Double Dragon 1 or 2. There are so many examples of modern 8-16bit style games where they take those classic games and improve on them with modern day hooks, seemed like a perfect opportunity for that. Maybe Fight'N Rage will eventually make it's way to the Switch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Getting real tired of Golf Story freezing/crashing. Just had a nearly perfect round and it froze mid swing on the last hole...

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh poo poo, they just announced Harvest Moon!

for the 3DS

They already have Harvest Moon announced for Switch. That's Story of Seasons.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm super tempted to bring my switch to work but I know it would then be super tempting to just shut my office door and play all day because I have poor impulse control.

Actually your desire to do work is the impulse.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dehry posted:

They already have Harvest Moon announced for Switch. That's Story of Seasons.

Seriouslt? When did that happen?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

For all you NYC goons:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoNYC/status/915261923066875910

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I caved and bought Rocket League for PC because it was on sale today. No mario/luigi/samus car for me but I get prettier grass

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Seriouslt? When did that happen?

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/910171684006764544

Natsume's Harvest Moon Light of Hope was announced for Switch, PS4, and PC over the summer. Much like The Lost Valley and Skytree Village, there's hardly any advertising for it.

Marvelous/XSeed's continuation of Story of Seasons (the game formerly localized as Harvest Moon) looks like its staying on 3DS for one more release.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Harvest Moon now is basically a new thing and not worth caring about. Not that Harvest Moon had been worth caring about for a while.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Neat! Must mean the game is dropping soon

What a great rush of amazing releases, at this rate I'll never finish Zelda! I'm about to finish my second divine beast and it's still my favorite switch game atm

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dehry posted:

Natsume's Harvest Moon Light of Hope was announced for Switch, PS4, and PC over the summer. Much like The Lost Valley and Skytree Village, there's hardly any advertising for it.

Marvelous/XSeed's continuation of Story of Seasons (the game formerly localized as Harvest Moon) looks like its staying on 3DS for one more release.
Yeah, don't sugarcoat it. Story of Seasons is the real Harvest Moon team. Harvest Moon now is Natsume owning the name rights but the games are garbage.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Axiom Verge was fantastic what is wrong with you people?!

It and that Strider remake are two Metroidvanias that I just don't get the vitriol for.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Quick question, trying to figure out if this is nothing or if I need to return my new Switch: Every once in a while (like, it's probably happened 2-3 times in the last couple days) while my switch is in handheld mode there will be a thin black horizontal line that appears across the screen. It's only there for a split second then it goes away. Is that just normal weirdness or should I be concerned?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

Quick question, trying to figure out if this is nothing or if I need to return my new Switch: Every once in a while (like, it's probably happened 2-3 times in the last couple days) while my switch is in handheld mode there will be a thin black horizontal line that appears across the screen. It's only there for a split second then it goes away. Is that just normal weirdness or should I be concerned?

Were you playing Golf Story at the time? Cause that's a known bug with the game (I think, I've got it too).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kirios posted:

Axiom Verge was fantastic what is wrong with you people?!

It and that Strider remake are two Metroidvanias that I just don't get the vitriol for.

I'm in this camp. I can understand why some people might not have cared for Axiom Verge but I had a great time with it and I thought it was cool that the game had a speedrun mode that has its own built in timer with splits.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

aware of dog posted:

Were you playing Golf Story at the time? Cause that's a known bug with the game (I think, I've got it too).

Yes, I was. Thanks, nice to know it's nothing to worry about.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

aware of dog posted:

I have this bug too when playing Golf Story

Might be a shared engine thing because I was playing Heat Signature on PC and getting the same bug

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/910171684006764544

That looks so ugly, like a DeviantArt mismatch of different styles.

Worse than when they remade the FF6 sprites for mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wrong.

Nothing is worse than those FF6 sprites.

• Locked thread