Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for an app that lets me make a checklist of specific things to do per day so I can monitor classwork. Does notes work?

There're a ton of apps to do this in all different ways, and everyone will have their own specific preferences.

If you're wanting a reminders-like app:
Todoist (subscription based, but also my favorite -- allows for shared tasks)
Things (really pretty; expensive; Apple-only)
Omnifocus (really complicated; expensive; Apple-only)
2Do (ugly; Apple-only)
Wunderlist/Microsoft To-do (Wunderlist is getting killed and To-do sorta sucks)

If you're wanting a calendar:
Google Calendar (built-in reminders are actually really useful here, too)
Fantastical (good replacement, integrates default reminders if that's something you're interested in)

If you want a more free-form method:
Evernote (price keeps going up; subscription-based)
Dropbox Paper (early-stage, weird sorting and requires access via a browser on macOS/Windows)
Notion (my new favorite all-purpose notes/storage/reminders app -- seriously this thing is loving amazing [referral link])

*edit: Notion would be really good for tracking haircuts, too.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Endless Mike posted:

Sounds like you want a calandar

I don't want to poo poo up the calendar with 8 all-day entries per day that I have to manage and figure out how to check off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think Mike is right, though, sounds like you want a calendar but maybe not “the” calendar.

One suggestion: get Fantastical (everyone should at least consider this anyway imo), make second calendar for your school stuff. Have iOS calendar only show your first calendar, have Fantastical only show your second calendar. (Or vice versa)

Checking off items would be swipe left + tap delete.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I have an app called "Productive" which reminds me daily to do stuff (I use it to remind me to sit up straight and to stretch).

Might do the trick?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was hoping for something like

Entry: Class A
(X) Read chapter 1
(X) Do assignment 1

On a specific date, with multiple classes and multiple checks (maybe 6-8 per day). Each days entry is different and notices carries over if I forget to check it off.

Does that solve it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

PRADA SLUT posted:

(X) Read chapter 1
(X) Do assignment 1

On a specific date, with multiple classes and multiple checks (maybe 6-8 per day). Each days entry is different and notices carries over if I forget to check it off.

Does that solve it?

That's todoist and the free model is more than you need. You can set up projects (classes) with all sorts of child tasks. Schedule them for certain days and manage them around. It's excellent and I use it to manage my work and home stuff.

Works great with recurring items also.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I don't seem to have any way to change the settings in Facebook messenger. I guess there's supposed to be a tab at the bottom right called "me" but I don't have it.

Any ideas how I can access it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Click your profile photo in the top left

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

PRADA SLUT posted:

(X) Read chapter 1
(X) Do assignment 1

Does that solve it?

I use Todoist for exactly this.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

(X) Read chapter 1
(X) Do assignment 1

Does that solve it?

Check out Pocket Schedule, it's specifically a calendar/to-do app for schoolwork. Seems like it'll likely keep track of tasks daily, I don't think your tasks will migrate to a new day, but if you set a deadline and miss it, it'll still be marked as needing to be done.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Hi, ios11 has ruined the podcasts app. Is there an app that will let me play the playlists of podcasts I have synced to my phone? I tried Overcast but it didn't seem able. Thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I looked into this because I have "podcasts" of radio shows in iTunes, and the sad answer is there isn't another app that will play them.

I gave up and moved everything to Overcast.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Crap, nevermind. Figured it out as soon as I typed it.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Been using Downcast forever but just got an 8+ and figured I'd try Overcast. I like it, it's nice and simple but it doesn't seem to refresh my subscriptions in the background when the app is closed. Downcast did this, is this a feature I need to pay for, did I just not set my app up right, or is it just a feature that isn't available?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It absolutely does it for me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is there a good iPad app that can airplay a photo to an Apple TV in the background?

Like for example, if I load up YouTube and airplay it to my TV, I can go and do other poo poo on my iPad and it will still keep the video playing on the TV.

Reason I ask is I'm running a D&D campaign in my living room and it would be nice to throw images up on the screen when I want, then go back to using my other apps to run the game while the image sits there.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Haggins posted:

Is there a good iPad app that can airplay a photo to an Apple TV in the background?

Like for example, if I load up YouTube and airplay it to my TV, I can go and do other poo poo on my iPad and it will still keep the video playing on the TV.

Reason I ask is I'm running a D&D campaign in my living room and it would be nice to throw images up on the screen when I want, then go back to using my other apps to run the game while the image sits there.

Not sure on the backgrounding — But have you tried Powerpoint/Keynote? That might work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd be slightly concerned with image retention/burn in, if the images need to be up for a long time. Even LCDs can suffer from it, but not as badly as other types of display.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Not too worried. TV isn't anything special and is about 5 years old.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

[quote="“BitesizedNike”" post="“476986820”"]
Not sure on the backgrounding — But have you tried Powerpoint/Keynote? That might work.
[/quote]

I thought about it and I may go that route but I would rather be able to throw up pictures on a whim, kinda like airplaying a song through the speakers instead of building a slide deck.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Just a shout out if there's still someone unfamiliar, the free version of Hiya has had about a 100% ID rate for me on telemarketer/robocalls. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hiya-caller-id-and-block/id986999874?mt=8 (just reminded because it blocked another one)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Just a shout out if there's still someone unfamiliar, the free version of Hiya has had about a 100% ID rate for me on telemarketer/robocalls. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hiya-caller-id-and-block/id986999874?mt=8 (just reminded because it blocked another one)

Looks like T-Mobile already uses their service from their website. Might explain why they've been pretty good at flagging the calls coming in for the most part.

For anyone interested in this, just keep in mind it's going to have full access to your call and message LOGS (not content) and your Contacts. if you use a 3rd party login (Facebook, Google), it will have access to whatever info is typically available to 3rd parties using that authentication.

Privacy policy looks fairly straightforward. There's a little bit of weaselly words sprinkled in there, but for the most part it's an intelligible policy that's appears to be better than most services.

https://hiya.com/hiya-data-policy

If I weren't already getting acceptable service from T-Mobile in catching these kinds of calls, I'd have no issues using this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can you export a list of podcasts you're subbed to and which episodes you've played/not played from iTunes to import into another app? And if so, how?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Proteus Jones posted:

Looks like T-Mobile already uses their service from their website. Might explain why they've been pretty good at flagging the calls coming in for the most part.

For anyone interested in this, just keep in mind it's going to have full access to your call and message LOGS (not content) and your Contacts. if you use a 3rd party login (Facebook, Google), it will have access to whatever info is typically available to 3rd parties using that authentication.

Privacy policy looks fairly straightforward. There's a little bit of weaselly words sprinkled in there, but for the most part it's an intelligible policy that's appears to be better than most services.

https://hiya.com/hiya-data-policy

If I weren't already getting acceptable service from T-Mobile in catching these kinds of calls, I'd have no issues using this.

AT&T also has their own app powered by Hiya. It's worked amazing for me for over a year now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-protect/id1181632589?mt=8

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

birds posted:

Been using Downcast forever but just got an 8+ and figured I'd try Overcast. I like it, it's nice and simple but it doesn't seem to refresh my subscriptions in the background when the app is closed. Downcast did this, is this a feature I need to pay for, did I just not set my app up right, or is it just a feature that isn't available?

I'm still holding out for the full rewrite of Downcast the author is apparently working on. I'm sure it's going to end up being a subscription thing since he now says he's working full-time on Downcast. I've looked at Overcast but I can't give up the degree of configuration and control Downcast offers.

As for your background updates, iOS tracks the apps you use most often (and when you use them) and uses that information to decide how often to allow the app to run in the background. Given more time using the app it'll get to run in the background more.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

fordan posted:

As for your background updates, iOS tracks the apps you use most often (and when you use them) and uses that information to decide how often to allow the app to run in the background. Given more time using the app it'll get to run in the background more.

that is the dumbest-sounding thing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've not heard of that before, is it relatively new?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Overcast's background updates happen when it receives silent push notifications. If you didn't allow notifications, it might not be waking up to download new episodes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

astral posted:

No, it's a good use of data tracking for the os to optimize the response of the stuff you use the most. If it can anticipate that every time you pick up the phone you reload Awful.app, maybe it could have threads refreshed already, allowing you to get sad that no one responded to your excellent comedy and turning the screen off again (which is generally the biggest power draw).

Assuming it's true.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

xzzy posted:

No, it's a good use of data tracking for the os to optimize the response of the stuff you use the most. If it can anticipate that every time you pick up the phone you reload Awful.app, maybe it could have threads refreshed already, allowing you to get sad that no one responded to your excellent comedy and turning the screen off again (which is generally the biggest power draw).

Assuming it's true.

It's not unreasonable to imagine there's an app you want to be able to do things in the background without you having to interact with it. You'd now have to do the dumbest thing - using an app that you rarely have a need to directly interact with - to be able to make it work in the background.

Assuming it's true.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

astral posted:

Why?

astral posted:

It's not unreasonable to imagine there's an app you want to be able to do things in the background without you having to interact with it. You'd now have to do the dumbest thing - using an app that you rarely have a need to directly interact with - to be able to make it work in the background.

Assuming it's true.

It doesn't stop everything else, and it definitely doesn't pre-empt push tasks. If they put any thought into it, and really assuming they didn't is stupid, it probably just prioritizes more commonly used apps to stay in active memory and refresh more often.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 4, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It isn't hard to think of plenty of cases where frequency of use wouldn't correlate with how badly you want or need updates and background refreshes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

It isn't hard to think of plenty of cases where frequency of use wouldn't correlate with how badly you want or need updates and background refreshes.

But there's also probably plenty of cases where it does correlate. So I guess the moral of the story is never try new things!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

cbirdsong posted:

Overcast's background updates happen when it receives silent push notifications. If you didn't allow notifications, it might not be waking up to download new episodes?

Blocking notifications only blocks loud user-facing notifications; it doesn't block silent ones.

What is more likely to happen is that you get the push notification when you're on cell service and have cell downloads disabled. A silent notification only gets the app 30s of time before it goes back to bed. The app can't keep trying across the course of the day to download, nor can it wake when you get wifi connectivity. It can only wake when you wake it or when another podcast updates, at which point it'll download everything it can.

If you're one of those people that kills apps when you're done with them to "save battery" then you're making the problem far worse for yourself. If you listen on the drive home, kill your podcast app before you walk into wifi range, and neither listen at home nor listen to podcasts that update while you're at home, then the app will never download anything for you.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 4, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://developer.apple.com/library...dExecution.html

quote:

Apps that support background execution may be relaunched by the system to handle incoming events. If an app is terminated for any reason other than the user force quitting it, the system launches the app when one of the following events happens:

For location apps:

The system receives a location update that meets the app’s configured criteria for delivery.

The device entered or exited a registered region. (Regions can be geographic regions or iBeacon regions.)

For audio apps, the audio framework needs the app to process some data. (Audio apps include those that play audio or use the microphone.)

For Bluetooth apps:

An app acting in the central role receives data from a connected peripheral.

An app acting in the peripheral role receives commands from a connected central.

For background download apps:

A push notification arrives for an app and the payload of the notification contains the content-available key with a value of 1.

The system wakes the app at opportunistic moments to begin downloading new content.

For apps downloading content in the background using the NSURLSession class, all tasks associated with that session object either completed successfully or received an error.

A download initiated by a Newsstand app finishes.

In most cases, the system does not relaunch apps after they are force quit by the user. One exception is location apps, which in iOS 8 and later are relaunched after being force quit by the user. In other cases, though, the user must launch the app explicitly or reboot the device before the app can be launched automatically into the background by the system. When password protection is enabled on the device, the system does not launch an app in the background before the user first unlocks the device.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Cesium Music Player is free on the app store for a limited time. It's perfect if you have your own local music library and don't need all the streaming stuff in the default iOS Music App. It's an updated take on the old iPod app.

I've also got a weird request. Are there any camera apps with absolutely no on-screen controls?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've not heard of that before, is it relatively new?

Since there was a lot of doubt, I had to go track down where I heard it. It was part of the WWDC 2013 keynote talking about iOS 7. It's a feature called "Intelligent Scheduling" and here's the keynote video cued up to the right point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIQ5zGOo6qE&t=5323s.

Admittedly it's been a while since iOS 7, but I assume it's still handled the same.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why does 1Password frequently ask me to manually type in my master password now? I have it set to only do it upon TouchID failure or restart.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

GoldfishStew posted:

Why does 1Password frequently ask me to manually type in my master password now? I have it set to only do it upon TouchID failure or restart.

Click the thumbprint icon and you can use your thumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
It's not there. I will double check next time that happens, though.