Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every where I have ever been has had a PTO tracker that was spotty, at best. And usually non-existent altogether.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
at my job the pto tracking system has been broken for two years, so we just take time when we feel like it and the whole thing sort of operates on the honor system. i've taken six weeks so far this year and we have a two week shutdown in december - feeling positively european.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oldjob's PTO system was an executive assistant we rarely if ever saw in person with a terrible spreadsheet.

We'd randomly get additional days; and you could prove that you'd worked on a day by bringing a printed copy of an email you'd sent that day.

That place was a cluster gently caress on so many level.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The term is "inter-office", person who has worked here for twenty years.

Not "inner-office", inter.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

I get that, but he posted the reverse: donate your vacation days. What are they doing? Guaranteeing the equivalent pay goes to the victims? Goes to UW? Doing jack poo poo and taking your vacation days?

Basically, you give up a vacation day, and another employee in the affected area gets paid for one of the days off they had to take for the hurricane disrupting their life

spincube posted:

I'd heard banking staff were required to take a full fortnight off work per year, minimum, as part of their liability insurance. If you're embezzling money you can sort of let things go for a week and then pick up where you left off, but if you're taking two weeks off you'll need to delegate your work and thus risk being uncovered. Unless your delegate is in on your racket too I suppose?

This may be a policy at some bank somewhere, but not at any that I have worked at. Reluctance to take time off is considered a red flag though,and if it occurs alongside other red flags may get them to be looking at you closely.

Most banks start with 2 weeks vacation as the total entitlement, so requiring 2 weeks consecutive would be dictating how they can use their entire block of time off for employees with less than x years in. Also, when I was sales side, the bonus and performance metrics did not take time off into account, so if you took off too much time in a quarter you might not bonus and could even get written up for failing to hit your sales metrics in that quarter :shepicide:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

therobit posted:

This may be a policy at some bank somewhere, but not at any that I have worked at. Reluctance to take time off is considered a red flag though,and if it occurs alongside other red flags may get them to be looking at you closely.

Most banks start with 2 weeks vacation as the total entitlement, so requiring 2 weeks consecutive would be dictating how they can use their entire block of time off for employees with less than x years in. Also, when I was sales side, the bonus and performance metrics did not take time off into account, so if you took off too much time in a quarter you might not bonus and could even get written up for failing to hit your sales metrics in that quarter :shepicide:

It's policy at the European bank I work at, every single person needs to take 2 consecutive weeks off. It's very compolusory and they even check afterwards whether you logged in during that time. That said, people have at least 6 weeks of PTO.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

How does 'unlimited' time off work? Being an american work practice, i'm expecting something particularly stupid and unfair.

I used to accumulate as much leave as I could, but these days I pretty much use it up every year because I've got more going on than just work and I just take lots of small holidays and trips instead of the big block holiday that never materialised. I'm pretty sure that the bosses prefer it too as they don't have the prospect of an employee disappearing for months at a time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jaguars! posted:

How does 'unlimited' time off work? Being an american work practice, i'm expecting something particularly stupid and unfair.

"You can't leave then, you're on a really important project."

"We notice you took a lot of time off last year (e.g. 2 weeks). Yes, the policy is that you have unlimited time off, but we are concerned you aren't fully invested in this organization, and we simply don't want to have employees working for us who aren't invested in our combined success."

etc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It depends. It either means "you're an adult and the work you put in is directly tied to your compensation and review" (the rare, initial instance) or "effectively pretty much no vacation, and we don't have to count vacation days in finance so win win" (almost all of the time).

You should generally run if they suggest "unlimited vacation" unless you're at a point in your career where you're writing your own ticket.

That said, I have unlimited sick time and it's great because it's just a good idea to not encourage (or require!) people to come in sick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jaguars! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNbWGaaxWM

just the first couple minutes, i promise

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you get offered unlimited vacation, ask how much vacation time the people on your team have taken in the last year.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you get offered unlimited vacation, ask how much vacation time the people on your team have taken in the last year.

Halloween Jack posted:

just the first couple minutes, i promise

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I also have unlimited sick time. Agree that it is a good idea. Usually end up working from home when I'm kind of sick, rarely take a true day off from being sick. Like today.

I'd run like hell if I was offered unlimited PTO in lieu of vacation though.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
tmi maybe

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 4, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A 4% raise is pretty good where I'm from, unless there was a promotion or something else involved.

In this day and age, you get raises by changing jobs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A 4% raise is a cost of living increase, not a raise. Good on him for not actually getting a pay cut via a 0.5% raise or something though I guess.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Oh yea, I forgot that was with a promotion. Their documentation says 3.5% is their norm for annual cost of living increase.

I wouldn't be that bummed about it only being 4% if he hadn't talked it up like it would be awesome.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Renegret posted:

Every since we were bought out, the company has been offering voluntary retirement packages with looser and looser requirements, letting people leave by themselves with nice severance packages.

There's rumors that there's going to be 3 more packages, with the last one being "we'll pay literally anyone to just leave" and I've never been so excited at the prospect of being paid to quit.

Are the packages getting better and better as time goes on, or getting worse?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

It depends. It either means "you're an adult and the work you put in is directly tied to your compensation and review" (the rare, initial instance) or "effectively pretty much no vacation, and we don't have to count vacation days in finance so win win" (almost all of the time).

My one unlimited vacation job was the former. One guy hosed off to Europe for a month and got sucked into doing a PhD during that time, and I didn't suffer any consequences when I took three weeks off in the middle of summer. VPEng asked my boss if I was going to miss any important milestones, but my team didn't really have that kind of thing.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jaguars! posted:

you get to dodge the fact that california labour law requires paying out employees for unused vacation days

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

you get to dodge the fact that california labour law requires paying out employees for unused vacation days

Other states also. Its regarded as an accounting liability (drat employees), so its better for the balance sheet. Which is why at my company we can roll over a week of PTO in to the next year, but are magically transformed in to "Admin hours", which can only be used once all of your PTO has been exhausted.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just have use it or lose it :saddowns:;

Most people tend to just take time off around big family holidays or their birthdays though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Tnuctip posted:

Other states also. Its regarded as an accounting liability (drat employees), so its better for the balance sheet. Which is why at my company we can roll over a week of PTO in to the next year, but are magically transformed in to "Admin hours", which can only be used once all of your PTO has been exhausted.

sure, but not all (or even most) states. the reason I mention CA specifically is because it was made famous by bay area tech companies looking to avoid the exact accounting liability you mentioned

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

For my company is the former - taking PTO is absolutely encouraged to the point the the CEO has come around and hounded people about "why haven't you taken any PTO yet this year?" (at a 700+ person company) with a bit of the latter: it's not so much that finance doesn't have to "count" them - because HR does. But being a CA company they don't want to have the liability on their books.

This one.....right down here:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Walh Hara posted:

It's policy at the European bank I work at, every single person needs to take 2 consecutive weeks off. It's very compolusory and they even check afterwards whether you logged in during that time. That said, people have at least 6 weeks of PTO.

Yeah, this was the case when I worked at a UK bank. Even for people in the call centres - you were required to book your main fortnight during the previous calendar year, to boot. Every October-ish you'd fill in a form with up to four possible choices for your two weeks off and then it got allocated based on seniority and GOD HELP YOU if you tried to cancel it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tnuctip posted:

Are the packages getting better and better as time goes on, or getting worse?

Staying the same, they're just lowering the eligibility requirements.

I'm assuming this is just to prevent entire departments from accidentally disappearing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Walh Hara posted:

Same-ish, 2 weeks for anyone with the ability to move money, 1 week for everyone without (e.g. back office analytics and such) at mine.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Get me pictures of this ERP system. Make sure they're pretty,

These aren't pretty enough.

gee I wasn't on board with spending literally hundreds of thousands / millions of dollars on this implementation but once I saw the green dashboard pop I was like take my money

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Jordan7hm posted:

Get me pictures of this ERP system. Make sure they're pretty,

These aren't pretty enough.

gee I wasn't on board with spending literally hundreds of thousands / millions of dollars on this implementation but once I saw the green dashboard pop I was like take my money

This but 100% unironically and with much larger numbers.

The executives buying ERP software have no idea how it works or how to choose the best one. They can either admit they don't know anything and have a team of trusted experts carefully evaluate the best option that they'll learn to use, or be the big tough executive decision maker and choose the one with pretty screenshots that turns their incomprehensible massive enterprise into "green = I'm on track for my bonus, yellow = yell at people, red = yell louder."

Which one do you think happens more often?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They take the first option and then the consultants pick the one that's prettier because they know that's what the client wanted in the first place and who are they to say how the client spends its money.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

This but 100% unironically and with much larger numbers.

The executives buying ERP software have no idea how it works or how to choose the best one. They can either admit they don't know anything and have a team of trusted experts carefully evaluate the best option that they'll learn to use, or be the big tough executive decision maker and choose the one with pretty screenshots that turns their incomprehensible massive enterprise into "green = I'm on track for my bonus, yellow = yell at people, red = yell louder."

Which one do you think happens more often?

and that's why we spent 2 years creating a dashboard in OBIE that reduces every metric to a traffic light, but immediately stopped working after we moved it to production because our prod and test environments were different the whole time apparently :)

this is why i never want to be attached to a BI project ever again.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

So we have a website. Its not a good website and we have known this for a while. We sat down today for the monthly status meeting and ended up reviewing our site vs other companies in the same line of work.

Cue "oh that's great" and "oh last time I checked this was terrible". Ours is plainly the lame duck of the lot, but the boss thinks its OK because companies are "interested in actually getting stuff done not just pretty sites".

After trying to convince him that maybe we'd get more speculative enquiries if our site didnt look five years out of date ive now been saddled with updating it.

Yaaay.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

At my last job, during orientation, my manager very explicitly and repeatedly told me "remember: unlimited PTO does not mean limitless PTO, ok?"

They ended up scrapping the whole thing within a year anyway.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

website projects are a blight on mankind

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

especially this website project, the something awful forums

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

please help me explain to a drunk, 60yo vp in germany at 8pm cet how to load a video onto his ipad without itunes or internet

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tell him to grease up the connection first by running water over it.

glickeroo
Nov 2, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

please help me explain to a drunk, 60yo vp in germany at 8pm cet how to load a video onto his ipad without itunes or internet

Make the two screens kiss while holding ctrl-c. You have to hold them together long enough for the video to transfer though. If you pull them apart too quickly it will look like nothing happened. Try again and wait twice as long this time. Repeat as necessary.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So today's Irrelevant Conference Call features our special guest, the Amazing Intermittent VOIP Connection, so I'm only hearing about 2 seconds of conversation out of every five.

Mind you, most everyone (but not actually everyone) on the call is convened in a conference room about 10 feet away so I could just go in there but gently caress that, this is the only time I can actually get some uninterrupted work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

docbeard posted:

Mind you, most everyone (but not actually everyone) on the call is convened in a conference room about 10 feet away so I could just go in there but gently caress that, this is the only time I can actually get some uninterrupted work done.

Congrats on being that guy.