Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Complaining about other people using the ignore list makes you sound like an insecure baby who can't stand the idea that someone out there might not want to read your worthless posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

All those people have been loving each other for thousands of years.

LOL look at this fool who thinks race is about genetics! :laughing so hard I'm crying:

You silly boy, if we went strictly by genetics then there would be no "white people" or "people of color" at all. ^__^

But if we go by culture than it becomes quite obvious that "white" is synonymous with WASP (or rather, ASP) :)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Wheat Loaf posted:

Politics is a chore to get to grips with and talking about it is just as much of a chore. I usually think it's reasonably interesting but I don't blame anyone for not being interested in having a discussion about it.

Indeed. Casual conversation is not about expressing ideas or debating facts, it's for reinforcing a sense of community and sameness among the members of the in-group, as well as demonstrating that you are willing to follow social niceties and norms.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think you shouldn't be forced to talk about politics, but making a heavily politicized statement and then backing down on it when pressed seems like a much more specific scenario.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If you don't want to casually talk about politics, no problem. But if you think "a conversation about politics" is stating your opinion then the other person states theirs, that's stupid. Examining and defending your own "beliefs" is the only way to test yourself on whether you actually believe them or are just parroting something you've been indoctrinated about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't want to get tied down to any particular belief system if I could help it.

(Edit: Because I phrased this poorly, I must clarify that I realise this is more or less impossible, which is why I said "if I could help it".)

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Oct 3, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

If you don't want to casually talk about politics, no problem. But if you think "a conversation about politics" is stating your opinion then the other person states theirs, that's stupid. Examining and defending your own "beliefs" is the only way to test yourself on whether you actually believe them or are just parroting something you've been indoctrinated about.

This. I don't think EVERY convo should be hot and heavy. But when something comes up and person A and B are talking, then person C steps up HEY I DON"T LIKE TALKING ABOUT POLITICS/RELIGION/ETC. Then he can gently caress off. He's a coward if he wants to try to shut it down because he feels uncomfortable.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Soiled Meat

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think Germans have to be considered white.

Not if Ben Franklin has anything to say about it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

This. I don't think EVERY convo should be hot and heavy. But when something comes up and person A and B are talking, then person C steps up HEY I DON"T LIKE TALKING ABOUT POLITICS/RELIGION/ETC. Then he can gently caress off. He's a coward if he wants to try to shut it down because he feels uncomfortable.

alternatively they don't want the day/night to be ruined by a political debate

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

alternatively they don't want the day/night to be ruined by a political debate

Cowardice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jastiger posted:

Cowardice.

GTAIV is still one of the best games in the series, although everyone knows the best game will always be Vice City.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Cowardice.

Not even your promise of free beer would get me to go to des moines knowing that i'll be quizzed on my politics and religion instead of talking like normal people enjoying each other's company instead of fishing for something to get outraged about

BIG BIC SQUAD
Jan 24, 2015
Salad is a genuinely enjoyable lunch/dinner option.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Not even your promise of free beer would get me to go to des moines knowing that i'll be quizzed on my politics and religion instead of talking like normal people enjoying each other's company instead of fishing for something to get outraged about

No its not even that. You've been in those conversations. They'll say something about politics or current events, then someone will be HO HO HO I bask in my ignorance, I don't TALK politics or religion *goes on rant about Obama being a muslim/latest tax problem/health insurance gripe*

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GTAIV is still one of the best games in the series, although everyone knows the best game will always be Vice City.

It's pretty obviously San Andreas you mook, the only one where you can run around as an obese black man in his underwear and an eye patch on a bike wearing a WWI German spike helmet running over gang rivals

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

No its not even that. You've been in those conversations. They'll say something about politics or current events, then someone will be HO HO HO I bask in my ignorance, I don't TALK politics or religion *goes on rant about Obama being a muslim/latest tax problem/health insurance gripe*

So you're pissed that they end up talking politics? Sometimes I don't get you Jas

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Olive! posted:

Complaining about other people using the ignore list makes you sound like an insecure baby who can't stand the idea that someone out there might not want to read your worthless posts.

:agreed:

if it gives someone relief to ignore my dumb posts i don't care

Caufman posted:

With no disrespect to anyone else, I admire people like Fatty Arbuckle and Melissa McCarthy who, when overweight, were committed to comedic entertainment.

tbh i think fatty arbuckle's obesity indirectly destroyed his career since it was very likely he was once extorted by a known con artist who took advantage of the fact that a woman died of, among other things, a burst bladder at a party fatty also attended - instead of paying hush money arbuckle chose to fight it in court, he eventually won to the extent that the jury who heard all the evidence said:

quote:

Acquittal is not enough for Roscoe Arbuckle. We feel that a great injustice has been done him. We feel also that it was only our plain duty to give him this exoneration, under the evidence, for there was not the slightest proof adduced to connect him in any way with the commission of a crime. He was manly throughout the case and told a straightforward story on the witness stand, which we all believed. The happening at the hotel was an unfortunate affair for which Arbuckle, so the evidence shows, was in no way responsible. We wish him success and hope that the American people will take the judgment of fourteen men and woman who have sat listening for thirty-one days to evidence, that Roscoe Arbuckle is entirely innocent and free from all blame.

but over the course of the trial(s) the media loved running with the accuser's version of the story that fatty arbuckle was indeed an obese woman hater who used his immense bulk to bully and overpower women and that his grotesque mass also resulted in the obliteration of a woman's bladder when he tried to impose himself upon her at a party - it was a colorful sensationalist story that sold in an age of yellow journalism and left a big impression on the public, a lot of his films were destroyed in the moral panic and he had trouble finding work after surviving court and he had to go behind-the-scenes and direct under a pseudonym partly given to him by buster keaton

if anyone's curious, being 5'10" and ~250lbs in the 1920s was enough for people to believe that you were The Blob.

vvvvv e: iirc he consciously did it because he was actually pretty fit underneath that chub, his humor relied on being impossibly acrobatic and agile for a man his size and he needed more ways to sell that size

hard counter has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 3, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

:agreed:

if it gives someone relief to ignore my dumb posts i don't care

tbh i think fatty arbuckle's obesity indirectly destroyed his career since it was very likely he was once extorted by a known con artist who took advantage of the fact that a woman died of, among other things, a burst bladder at a party fatty also attended - instead of paying hush money arbuckle chose to fight it in court, he eventually won to the extent that the jury who heard all the evidence said:

but over the course of the trial(s) the media loved running with the accuser's version of the story that fatty arbuckle was indeed an obese woman hater who used his immense bulk to bully and overpower women and that his grotesque mass also resulted in the obliteration of a woman's bladder when he tried to impose himself upon her at a party - it was a colorful sensationalist story that sold in an age of yellow journalism and left a big impression on the public, a lot of his films were destroyed in the moral panic and he had trouble finding work after surviving court and he had to go behind-the-scenes and direct under a pseudonym partly given to him by buster keaton

if anyone's curious, being 5'10" and ~250lbs in the 1920s was enough for people to believe that you were The Blob.

I mean to be fair he purposefully didn't wear the most flattering clothing to add to his bulk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star posted:

LOL look at this fool who thinks race is about genetics! :laughing so hard I'm crying:

You silly boy, if we went strictly by genetics then there would be no "white people" or "people of color" at all. ^__^

But if we go by culture than it becomes quite obvious that "white" is synonymous with WASP (or rather, ASP) :)

Did you just assume my loving gender jfc

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
never respond seriously to blue star

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

So you're pissed that they end up talking politics? Sometimes I don't get you Jas

Lol no you misunderstand. Its often a way to provide cover for poo poo posting and leaving. Like there will be a conversation, they have their views, as soon as it gets into a discussion, they want to shut it down rather than engage.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's pretty obviously San Andreas you mook, the only one where you can run around as an obese black man in his underwear and an eye patch on a bike wearing a WWI German spike helmet running over gang rivals

God, what a good franchise

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The fallacious story that Fatty Arbuckle crushed Lillian Gish to death is just another triumph of his comedic legacy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I think Germans have to be considered white.
They listed Scandinavians as "not white". :rolleyes:

Jastiger posted:

You really, really, really need to learn to communicate better. You have these reasonable, uncontroversial opinions but you state them in ways that make them seem extreme or absurd.

You think: "Genetic screening for diseases is probably a good idea."
You say: "I wholeheartedly support in eugenics."

You think: "People who claim to never talk about politics but then give their political opinions anyway are annoying."
You say: "No one should ever, under any circumstances, refuse to talk about politics."

I mean, do you see the disconnect?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sassassin posted:

Did you just assume my loving gender jfc

Awww, you're repeating things you've seen others say. Are you going to say you identify as an "attack helicopter" next? How about a "triggered lol" joke in 2017? :allears:

Sorry to be a dick but c'mon my friend.

Anyway, when James Earl Jones dies (hopefully not jinxing him here), there's going to be a bunch of stuff about his role as Darth Vader and blah blah blah "cultural icon". But i wanna preemptively say that he should be more remembered for his role as Thulsa Doom.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Oct 4, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

When I die I hope I'm remembered for my long history of bad posting

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blue Star posted:

Anyway, when James Earl Jones dies (hopefully not jinxing him here), there's going to be a bunch of stuff about his role as Darth Vader and blah blah blah "cultural icon". But i wanna preemptively say that he should be more remembered for his role as Thulsa Doom.

Sorry, his best role is clearly King Jaffe Joffer.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

You really, really, really need to learn to communicate better. You have these reasonable, uncontroversial opinions but you state them in ways that make them seem extreme or absurd.

You think: "People who claim to never talk about politics but then give their political opinions anyway are annoying."
You say: "No one should ever, under any circumstances, refuse to talk about politics."

I'm not saying that I would pay money to see Tiggum and Jastiger mud wrestle in their underwear but I'm not saying I wouldn't either

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Caufman posted:

The fallacious story that Fatty Arbuckle crushed Lillian Gish to death is just another triumph of his comedic legacy.

the whole scandal was pretty ridiculous and would pass for a dark comedy 100 years later

when it was revealed in court that a medical expert confirmed there were no physical signs of assault trauma on the woman that died the prosecutors claimed that arbuckle used a phallus made from ice to commit the perfect crime even tho that's not even remotely how that works, an intercepted telegram from the accusers that said yes we are trying to extort this man for money was counted as ambiguous evidence of fraud because blackmail could be theoretically done in the name of justice and arbuckle also had severe 2nd degree burns on his rear end at the time which almost kept him from going the party at all and this came up in establishing his actual fitness to commit the deeds he was accused of

while there's more to the story, nonetheless with no other evidence other than that fatty arbuckle was in fact comedically fat and maybe could crush a person the case passed through two undecided juries while his reputation imploded and friends abandoned him

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I never said those things, you just read that into them hyuk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

Sorry, his best role is clearly King Jaffe Joffer.

I still get the Soul Glo song stuck in my head from time to time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hard counter posted:

the whole scandal was pretty ridiculous and would pass for a dark comedy 100 years later

when it was revealed in court that a medical expert confirmed there were no physical signs of assault trauma on the woman that died the prosecutors claimed that arbuckle used a phallus made from ice to commit the perfect crime even tho that's not even remotely how that works, an intercepted telegram from the accusers that said yes we are trying to extort this man for money was counted as ambiguous evidence of fraud because blackmail could be theoretically done in the name of justice and arbuckle also had severe 2nd degree burns on his rear end at the time which almost kept him from going the party at all and this came up in establishing his actual fitness to commit the deeds he was accused of

while there's more to the story, nonetheless with no other evidence other than that fatty arbuckle was in fact comedically fat and maybe could crush a person the case passed through two undecided juries while his reputation imploded and friends abandoned him

The woman who made the accusation just sort of disappeared from history afterwards, didn't she? I wonder whatever happened to her.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I never said those things, you just read that into them hyuk

That thing you do when you clearly say something and then claim you didn't and it's our fault for not understanding your true meaning is pretty annoying. Especially when you repeat your opinions time after time with the same wording while seeming confused why people are reacting the exact same way as before. You're either doing it intentionally or tiggum is right and you are very bad at translating your thoughts into words.

anyway,

Jastiger posted:

Lol no you misunderstand. Its often a way to provide cover for poo poo posting and leaving. Like there will be a conversation, they have their views, as soon as it gets into a discussion, they want to shut it down rather than engage.

The thing is when you say "engage" what you, in my experience, really mean is "get lectured at". You're right that they shouldn't give your political opinions if you don't want to have an argument, but I don't blame them for not wanting to hear how problematic and wrong they are. And it's not because they are afraid of their beliefs being challenged, it's because they know in advance they will disagree with what you say and don't want to get into a back and forth thing where each side spouts what they think and no agreement is ever reached, which, again, is a good reason to just never talk about it in general outside of the specific circumstances I mentioned.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Leather is a horrible material for any form of seat, especially in hot climates. I question the sensibility of anyone who voluntarily buys a leather couch or chooses leather seats for their car.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Wheat Loaf posted:

The woman who made the accusation just sort of disappeared from history afterwards, didn't she? I wonder whatever happened to her.

lol I'm sure absolutely nothing happened to her

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

Living in dark snowy forests and eating rotten fish is rather ethnic, don't you think?

The thing is when you say "engage" what you, in my experience, really mean is "get lectured at". You're right that they shouldn't give your political opinions if you don't want to have an argument, but I don't blame them for not wanting to hear how problematic and wrong they are. And it's not because they are afraid of their beliefs being challenged, it's because they know in advance they will disagree with what you say and don't want to get into a back and forth thing where each side spouts what they think and no agreement is ever reached, which, again, is a good reason to just never talk about it in general outside of the specific circumstances I mentioned.

I lump anyone who identifies as a "leftist" in my "hardcore marxist" category because I don't care to understand the intricacies in their belief system.

Yeah, you would do that.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The notion that people owe you an account of their political affiliation, or their time and attention, at all, is just self-centered and entitled, and although I am sure that there is some degree of hyperbole present in the Unpopular Opinion thread, I sort of think that, if you often experience people reacting negatively to you giving them compliment irl, then the one thing that would absolutely cause otherwise bening compliment to turn sour, is if you come across as entitled to someone responding to you in a certain way.

doverhog posted:

Indeed. Casual conversation is not about expressing ideas or debating facts, it's for reinforcing a sense of community and sameness among the members of the in-group, as well as demonstrating that you are willing to follow social niceties and norms.

My take-away from that is, that casual discussion is more fruitful. People don't actually change or develop their opinions in self-styled "serious" tree house debate club discussions, no matter how much they claim that their debating is some kind of ideological proving ground, they are more likely to improve their rhetoric than change their mind if engaging in a venue where they don't really have strong social ties with their conversation partners

BIG BIC SQUAD posted:

Salad is a genuinely enjoyable lunch/dinner option.

I agree, but I'm not sure where that is unpopular. I'm sorta curious if people give you poo poo for eating salad at lunch :|

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Collateral Damage posted:

Leather is a horrible material for any form of seat, especially in hot climates. I question the sensibility of anyone who voluntarily buys a leather couch or chooses leather seats for their car.

Better than vinyl, as my mother likes to remind me every so often.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its not about entitlement or lectures, its about people putting their head in the sand any time something serious comes up. Im not a big lecture or shout down person at all. I just find it cowardice to either run away from all those discussions or to poo poo post about it and then shut down future discussion because you just wanted to spew your poo poo and run.

It definitely should NOT be taboo to talk about whom you voted for for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you define yourself by your politics then you are a completely boring person. It's like someone defining themselves by their religion, and if you're inflexible in either then what's the point in discussing anything with you.