Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Also wtf I can't swipe up to get to the pause menu now if I'm listening to music or a podcast, I've gotta do it twice? This is...not a good feature.

e: double-clicking the home button is a fairly meh workaround imo. sorry for venting, this just seems like they made a bunch of changes for the sake of change.

You don't have to swipe twice, just swipe up further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Has anyone had issues with the Smart Keyboard? My last one stopped working. They replaced it and it works now but occasionally won’t let me type when it comes out of sleep more. A reboot solves it every time, but I’m tired of doing that. It feels like a software issue to me.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

beergod posted:

Has anyone had issues with the Smart Keyboard? My last one stopped working. They replaced it and it works now but occasionally won’t let me type when it comes out of sleep more. A reboot solves it every time, but I’m tired of doing that. It feels like a software issue to me.

Back in May Apple extended the Smart Keyboard warranty to 3 years because of issues people were having, so you could have gotten another dud.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I really can't stand split screening/multitasking now on my iPad Pro. Dragging feels weird to me in general now. Especially on my SE, I am now garbage at rearranging icons.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

beergod posted:

This started happening more often to me after updating my 12.9 to iOS 11 and the keyboard was unresponsive all day yesterday, regardless of restarting. Contacted Apple, but they refused to replace it without me heading to either an Apple Store or an AASP to have it checked.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
the new podcast interface sucks too. god damnit Apple

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

the new podcast interface sucks too. god damnit Apple

Downloaded overcast because of it

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GoldfishStew posted:

I really can't stand split screening/multitasking now on my iPad Pro. Dragging feels weird to me in general now. Especially on my SE, I am now garbage at rearranging icons.

Yeah, rearranging icons is weird now. They lift up and drag before they start the shake/delete thing, and trying to move things to another page inside a folder makes the folder close most of the time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
On the plus side if you need to move a bunch at once, you can drag and drop multiple apps at once now.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
How. I have tried this and it just tries putting them in a folder.

Not trying to be dramatic but worst ios update in a long, long time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hold the main app you're moving around and tap the others you want to move with it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hold the main app you're moving around and tap the others you want to move with it.

*with a different finger. (Right? Haven't tried it, but I think it's a multi hand/finger thing... Didn't sound like anything too easily discoverable)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What is the point of the swipe up dock? Seems useless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's cool to quickly switch apps without going to the home screen

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

African AIDS cum posted:

What is the point of the swipe up dock? Seems useless.
The iPad Pro X will have no home button.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My lock screen has the YouTube play menu thing on it even though YouTube isn't even open, I hate how clunky it is to multitask now, I hate how I gotta go to the settings screen to turn on nightshift unless I'm missing something, I hate how airdrop and bluetootj are turned on by default every time you reboot

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'm a big fan of the new features, but everything feels like it needs to be a little bit more refined. The new dock rules and being able to have an app float on top of another rules, but stuff like the swipe gestures seem pretty clunky. I also keep seeing a lot of embarrassing UI bugs, like the keyboard popping up for a floating app even after I swipe it off the screen, text spilling out of notifications, notifications overlapping, and stuff like that.

Having to swipe DOWN to see the "now playing" widget is kind of weird, but I can get used to it. Files app is a disappointment, but that doesn't really make it worse than any other iOS.

Basically, I'm ready for iOS 12 to polish this up.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Calaveron posted:

My lock screen has the YouTube play menu thing on it even though YouTube isn't even open, I hate how clunky it is to multitask now, I hate how I gotta go to the settings screen to turn on nightshift unless I'm missing something, I hate how airdrop and bluetootj are turned on by default every time you reboot
Night shift is in the brightness thing in control center, hold down on it to open it up.

tankadillo posted:

Having to swipe DOWN to see the "now playing" widget is kind of weird, but I can get used to it.
There’s a Now Playing widget in control center too :confused:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

japtor posted:

Night shift is in the brightness thing in control center, hold down on it to open it up.

There’s a Now Playing widget in control center too :confused:

True, but it’s smaller and doesn’t have all the same info as the one in the Notification Center unless you long press. I’d rather just swipe down and get the better widget.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
ipad slowed significantly only a day after updating :thunk: guessing i need to factory reset it?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Give it a week. If it's still slow then reset it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also reboot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Only issue I have seen with the new update: the gyroscope sucks now for knowing portrait vs landscape. If I change my iPad position wise to either, it keeps not picking up that it should rotate accordingly.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone figured out how to reliably mute the device from control center yet? Several times now I've dragged the volume bar down to empty and started playing a video which was very extremely not muted

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Has anyone figured out how to reliably mute the device from control center yet? Several times now I've dragged the volume bar down to empty and started playing a video which was very extremely not muted

Press the mute button

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weedle posted:

Press the mute button

It was muted

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I have an iPad Air 1 and I'm wondering about the wisdom of upgrading to a newer model. Most sites I've read say it's not worth it but I've got two major annoyances with this one. The first is that I stupidly got the 16 GB model, not realizing that the storage can't be expanded with SD cards or the like. The constant storage juggling often gets on my last nerve.

The other annoyance is something that I'm wondering if a newer model would help with. If I'm juggling three or more apps, it often force closes one of them while it's in the background. I'm guessing that it's because of the 1 GB RAM. I know that newer models have 2 GB. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the added RAM help significantly with this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It will depend entirely on the apps, but I'm sure additional RAM will help in general.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“...!”" post="“476883886”"]
I have an iPad Air 1 and I’m wondering about the wisdom of upgrading to a newer model. Most sites I’ve read say it’s not worth it but I’ve got two major annoyances with this one. The first is that I stupidly got the 16 GB model, not realizing that the storage can’t be expanded with SD cards or the like. The constant storage juggling often gets on my last nerve.

The other annoyance is something that I’m wondering if a newer model would help with. If I’m juggling three or more apps, it often force closes one of them while it’s in the background. I’m guessing that it’s because of the 1 GB RAM. I know that newer models have 2 GB. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the added RAM help significantly with this?
[/quote]

Sites say it's not worth it? The Air 1 feels pretty dated now - you would notice improvements across the board with a new one. There isn't really even a comparison between my 1st gen Pro 12.9" and Air 1. And if you have a 16gb model then that alone is reason to upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

...! posted:

I have an iPad Air 1 and I'm wondering about the wisdom of upgrading to a newer model. Most sites I've read say it's not worth it ...
Are you sure you didn’t misread that? It’s may not be worth upgrading from an Air 2, but the Air is getting pretty chuggy. I’ve got an Air and my wife has a 9.7 Pro and there’s a significant difference in performance. I would guess it’s even greater with the newer 10.5 Pro.

I haven’t messed with hers enough to comment of the swapping part.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the iPad pros on sale so if you're looking to upgrade now would be a good time. 10.5" and 12.9" are bth $100 off. 9.7" w/ cellular is $479. Open box models save another $70 on some models.

Last years 12.9" was also marked down to $550 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/ipad-pro-20170929

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 30, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I ordered a used model of the 2017 12.9" Pro off eBay last night.

Like a few other people in this thread, I'm bummed that there isn't any way to transfer the ProTube app from my old iPad to the new one. I assumed that I could transfer the app back to iTunes and load it on the new device, but it looks like that went away with app-thinning in iOS 9.

If an app ends up being pulled and you don't already have a backup copy of it in iTunes, there is no way to save it. Additionally, iTunes 12.7 removes the app store from the program, so there will soon be no option for saving apps locally.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Know Such Peace posted:

I ordered a used model of the 2017 12.9" Pro off eBay last night.

Like a few other people in this thread, I'm bummed that there isn't any way to transfer the ProTube app from my old iPad to the new one. I assumed that I could transfer the app back to iTunes and load it on the new device, but it looks like that went away with app-thinning in iOS 9.

If an app ends up being pulled and you don't already have a backup copy of it in iTunes, there is no way to save it. Additionally, iTunes 12.7 removes the app store from the program, so there will soon be no option for saving apps locally.

There might be a hack using xcode, if someone's pulled the IPA from someplace. I wouldn't count on it though.

Btw do any third parties make smart covers for the pro 10.5? I have to assume that Apple has a patent on it as I can't find one anywhere, but I'm not paying £50 for one. I have a very cheap and surprisingly decent case with the same functionality but it is a little clunky.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
[quote="“Generic Monk”" post="“477014599”"]
There might be a hack using xcode, if someone’s pulled the IPA from someplace. I wouldn’t count on it though.
[/quote]

That would be nice.

I've heard there is a way to trick Apple's authentication servers to think an app is an enterprise app, but it has to be revalidated every 7 days. I remember doing something like that for a gameboy emulator.

Another option is to setup a script in the Workflow app to replace "youtube.com" with "hooktube.com" or a similar weird third-party YouTube-based website. Those types of sites should continue to pop up even when Google goes after individual domains. It requires an extra three to four button presses to run the script though.

It's a bigger issue for whenever I decide to update my iPhone SE. Background audio was killer in ProTube after YouTube disabled it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have a Mini 4and update to iOS 11? After a week I think I'm noticing more lag, but it could also be in my head.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here have a Mini 4and update to iOS 11? After a week I think I'm noticing more lag, but it could also be in my head.

I haven't noticed anything to make think there's been a big impact in performance. I mean, it's slower than my Pro, but it always has been.

That being said, all I use it for is reading books and watching videos in bed. So it's not like I'm pushing it hard.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I agree the animations seem a little slower.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

smallmouth posted:

I agree the animations seem a little slower.

The animation speed was tweaked by design in 11 so it's more flowery across the board. I don't mind it too much but it's introduced the odd bit of lag even on this more or less brand new 10.5, mostly in the 5 finger home gesture. Maybe it'll get ironed out in an update.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You could also try Settings->General->Accessibility->Reduce Motion to On which removes the animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Whats with the huge delay when holding a link to bring up the open in new tab option now in ios 11? Anyone else have this?