Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

CelticPredator posted:

WNUF really disappointed me. Great concept, good execution, super dull scenario when it was all said and done.

That's my biggest problem with Found Footage, they just kind of build up to one thing and that thing is usually so drat underwhelming that you leave going "thats all?"

But I do love the genre despite liking like...barely a few. I tend to be more into the studio ones where they have money to really push the concepts into something big and bold. Like Cloverfield.

I think that's also a product of it being really easy to write your way into a mystery/crisis, and really hard to write your way out of one; having the mysterious creature pounce and kill the protagonist "solves" that mystery very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
You know I get that Jim Sterling really likes using that footage of the Microtransaction Orc Merchant from Shadow of War rubbing his hands together as he's crafting something Jim has gotten a lot of usage out of that image lately but...

...Do you think he realizes what that looks like? Like, you think he knows or does he not know?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm pretty sure he knows and cannot stop laughing at the fact Monolith actually went with that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yeah, Jim didn't make that orc and he's not using it while talking about Global Orcery.

Monolith on the other hand.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/botherer/status/915203544176840704

I don't understand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How do you reply to an anime.

Is he arguing with a random episode of SAO.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

anime avatars

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AriadneThread posted:

anime avatars

Next year I will become an anime.

e: Unsure if I will debate gameplay with John Walker

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 3, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Every month, Kenneth Waste II (K. Waste on the forums) does a sort of film crit grab bag called Spoiler Alert, and it's consistently solid. The latest dropped today.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

"Gameplay" can describe a lot of different things, related and seperate, it's easy to be confused by such a broad term or misuse it. :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is John Walker the third brother in the Rob and Doug Walker family?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Is this a "'Gamer' is a bad word" thing?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Is John Walker the third brother in the Rob and Doug Walker family?

He's the idiot who runs Rock, Paper, Shotgun and literally the worst bits of the "PC Master race" morons distilled.

And I don't mean that for his opinions, but his reviews on the site have shown the guy's just a contrarian who likes to stir the pot and cry for attention.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 4, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Didn't he write a review complaining that he has to get good at a game or something like that?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoubleCakes posted:

Speaking of misguided but good-natured internet folk, I'm a fan of Anthony Fantano. He's my favourite music reviewer and I find his reviews very insightful and comfy. They help me rethink my musical opinions and even with I disagree with him, I feel like I understand music better. He's controversial because despite him being upfront about a lot of good progressive beliefs he has, he's been a bit chummy with various members of the alt-right and internet "rationalism". He's also strangely defensive of "capitalism" despite being very passionate about socialized health care.

I have some bad news https://www.thefader.com/2017/10/03/needle-drop-deleted-youtube-channel-this-is-the-plan

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mokinokaro posted:

He's the idiot who runs Rock, Paper, Shotgun and literally the worst bits of the "PC Master race" morons distilled.

And I don't mean that for his opinions, but his reviews on the site have shown the guy's just a contrarian who likes to stir the pot and cry for attention.

So it's definitely Walker not understanding and misusing 'gameplay'.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

So it's definitely Walker not understanding and misusing 'gameplay'.

Apparently this all spawned from an article he wrote about wanting the ability to skip sections in games he finds too difficult/annoying/etc.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/02/assassins-creed-origins-tourism-difficulty/

The articles full of his holier than thou snark as usual. The guy basically asks for trolls to go after him just due to how he writes even when he's making decent points.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm not surprised, one of the last times I'd looked at them they were getting all friendly with Carlgon and that's pretty much become one of the clear signs that you're on your way out.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

anime avatars

Do you know what it means when someone has an anime avatar?

It means that they prolly like anime.

Mokinokaro posted:

Apparently this all spawned from an article he wrote about wanting the ability to skip sections in games he finds too difficult/annoying/etc.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/02/assassins-creed-origins-tourism-difficulty/

The articles full of his holier than thou snark as usual. The guy basically asks for trolls to go after him just due to how he writes even when he's making decent points.

He's talked about this idea more than a couple of times (he links to the other instances in the article). He's also holds a similar grudge with boss battles in games.

Really, though, that's not the worst take I read from Rock Paper Shotgun recently. This "gem" of an article about Brutal Doom is the worst, because if you know anything about BD, you know that this article is utter garbage.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Max Wilco posted:

Do you know what it means when someone has an anime avatar?

It means that they prolly like anime.

that's incredibly illegal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I admire RPS for how it consistently drives alt-righties and gators utterly bonkers but it is amazingly stupid and cringey more often than not.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Having the ability to skip sections of a game you can't get past is good and should be encouraged.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd agree in certain respects, as you should be able to drop down into any part of the game ala screen select just for the sake of looking at a particular part of the medium. I'd say if you're skipping content as a part of how you primarily experience a game then that indicates a failure, either in the game's design or in you as a player. Either that part was bad and should have been excised entirely or you're actively undermining the experience of a good game, a la what those weird Mormon studios do when they edit out all "sinful" content from movies.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'd agree in certain respects, as you should be able to drop down into any part of the game ala screen select just for the sake of looking at a particular part of the medium. I'd say if you're skipping content as a part of how you primarily experience a game then that indicates a failure, either in the game's design or in you as a player. Either that part was bad and should have been excised entirely or you're actively undermining the experience of a good game, a la what those weird Mormon studios do when they edit out all "sinful" content from movies.

There's a difference between saying, "I wish you could skip the boss fights in Dark Souls" and "I wish you the skip the Bed of Chaos and the Four Kings."

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Idubbbz releases a new Content Cop and gets the #1 trending video worldwide. Jesus christ, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bukzXzsG77o

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have no idea who either of these people are.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

I vaguely remember a dude who developed an entire philosophy, somehow based around Kierkegaard, who also had a weird hatred of the concept of gameplay, Anybody know about who I am talking?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Dennis Miller?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sartre?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

I vaguely remember a dude who developed an entire philosophy, somehow based around Kierkegaard, who also had a weird hatred of the concept of gameplay, Anybody know about who I am talking?

icycalm

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

There's a difference between saying, "I wish you could skip the boss fights in Dark Souls" and "I wish you the skip the Bed of Chaos and the Four Kings."
Well yeah. The Bed of Chaos should have been cut due to poor design. Similar to how the proper way to play Fallout 3 is with the mod to skip the terrible intro.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Similar to how the proper way to play Fallout 3 is with the mod to skip the terrible intro to uninstall it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is idubzzzzzzzz someone famous or what

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fine then. The proper way to play Baldur's Gate 2 is with Dungeon Begone, Skyrim is with the mod that hides the Creator's Club, and Total War occasionally requires a mod to disable agents .

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was all set to argue that skipping content in games is contrary to the entire medium but then I thought about it for a second. I can skip to any page I want to in a book, or fast-forward as much as I want in a movie. It might impact my enjoyment. I might not understand what's going on. But I can do it.

So I don't know. Maybe the inherent interactivity of games means that making "I can't beat this hard thing"-skipping a standard feature would undermine the whole endeavor even more than it does in other media, but I don't know. I'm not as convinced of that as I was before I started typing this post, honestly. Any argument I can come up with comes down to "but the player will have a worse experience," and I can apply that to literally any other medium, too. Would standardized content-skipping be even worse because of what that content is in games?

This isn't really an argument and I recognize I have no coherent point, but I guess the whole thing is a lot less clear-cut than I originally treated it as.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think it's like if you skip past say all the scenes of graphic violence in the Godfather. I wouldn't fault you for that, we all have our own thresholds for violence. However you have to recognize that the version of the movie you experienced isn't the same as the version most other people experienced, and isn't the version the creator originally intended. You can argue the version you experienced is better, but it only really holds water if you experienced both to compare them.

I mean this is the exact sort of discuss that comes with alternative cuts of movies. Skipping boss fights could result in a good director's cut or it could result in a TBS TV cut. It's all in the particular game.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

watho posted:

Having the ability to skip sections of a game you can't get past is good and should be encouraged.

Just make it cost 5 bucks or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think idubz is the guy who ironically said friend of the family cause some white woman kept saying friend of the family to make her uncomfortable? I don't understand how someone else saying friend of the family would make one person who happily says it feel uncomfortable but then again I don't have a #1 trending video on my youtube channel.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I would like to be able to skip the Clank levels of Ratchet and Clank. Not because they are hard but because they are wildly different compared to the rest of the game and hurt my fingers when I have to run away from the big robot man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Leal posted:

I think idubz is the guy who ironically said friend of the family cause some white woman kept saying friend of the family to make her uncomfortable? I don't understand how someone else saying friend of the family would make one person who happily says it feel uncomfortable but then again I don't have a #1 trending video on my youtube channel.

it was some dumb thing where she said it and tried to be all 'yea I don't care it's just a word' so his reaction was to say it a bunch and creep on her at some public event calling her a friend of the family and somehow that...got her?

idubz is really stupid.

• Locked thread