Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

rabidsquid posted:

alliances most hyped card was balduvian horde and it wasnt even close, people were so loving horny for that thing. force of will was like, number eight on the top ten lists. pretty sure LORD OF TRESSERHORN was the second most hyped card

Jester's Cap was a huge card too, I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

En Fuego posted:

That was Ice Age, though you're right it was pretty hyped. I believe it was the cover for the Scrye magazine review of the set.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I was thinking of picking up some cool basic lands just because they looked neat, and the prices for some non-full arts are pretty surprising. I sort of expected the Rebecca Guay ones to be expensive but they're not too bad (and I don't mind picking them up in Japanese for much less). The snow-lands being a couple bucks each though are throwing me for a loop. I was thinking of getting some Snow Plains/Swamps for my B/W Soul Sisters/Martyr Proc decks, and maybe some Snow Mountains for my Legacy/Modern burn decks and its a lot pricier than I was expecting.

Did someone finally find snow useful?

skred red in modern went from being a joke to being a low-tier but competitive deck

also they're popular in edh, a lot of mono-color decks run all snow basics and then a scrying sheets for some card advantage

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I pulled a Jester's Cap in my first Ice Age booster and immediately built a deck that let me fish for it and gave it all kinds of recursion with a bunch of cards from Antiquities that brought back artifacts like Reconstruction and Argivian Archaeologist and the first game I played I managed to fire it off over and over until the guy's deck was like 15 basic lands.

Thanks for reading my post, about Jester's Cap.

Jesus that was 22 years ago. I am old, and MTG is an enduring game.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I pulled a Jester's Cap in my first Ice Age booster and immediately built a deck that let me fish for it and gave it all kinds of recursion with a bunch of cards from Antiquities that brought back artifacts like Reconstruction and Argivian Archaeologist and the first game I played I managed to fire it off over and over until the guy's deck was like 15 basic lands.

Thanks for reading my post, about Jester's Cap.

Jesus that was 22 years ago. I am old, and MTG is an enduring game.

Great post. It's remarkable how divisive the Cap was when it first came out because of shenanigans like that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My second or third booster contained a Polar Kraken and you can bet that in those days an 11/11 trample for 9 with multiple huge downsides was a solid build-around.

I mean, it was an ELEVEN-ELEVEN! It eats Craw Wurms for breakfast!

Fun Zuran Orb fact: In our meta around that time, conventional wisdom was you always played 61 cards, the card that "didn't count" was your Zuran Orb which was just "life insurance."

E: It was around the time Revised/Legends came out that locally we started to realize you should play with exactly 60. At my FLGS before that everyone was running a TOWER OF POWER because who can kill so many of their darling cards to cut it down lower than like, a hundred?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 3, 2017

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

ManMythLegend posted:

That was Ice Age, though you're right it was pretty hyped. I believe it was the cover for the Scrye magazine review of the set.

Oh goddamnit, you're right. I remember getting a Horde in a sealed event, and then casting him, losing a card, and him getting Dark Banished so I hated that card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

E: It was around the time Revised/Legends came out that locally we started to realize you should play with exactly 60. At my FLGS before that everyone was running a TOWER OF POWER because who can kill so many of their darling cards to cut it down lower than like, a hundred?

honestly the worst part of building any deck is cutting cards

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elyv posted:

I'm not sure when "Sideboard" caught on as a concept but part of it was "well its better to have 4 Disenchants and not need them than need and not have!"

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Elyv posted:

My EDH decks regularly start out at 150 cards before land before I start cutting.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Aww man, this is making me nostalgic for the days when I was in high school and everyone's deck was just a pile of cards in whatever color was their favorite. Those are also the days I traded someone a Mox Pearl for a Shivan Dragon though so it's pretty love/hate. I remember when we first learned about tournaments/rules/restricted list stuff one of the older kids in our area ran one. I basically netdecked a Turbo Stasis list out of Scrye, and everyone hated me because a) who could possibly enjoy playing against turbo stasis, and b) I had the audacity to borrow some of the cards I used in the deck. After I won they decided I did not get the prize (a Mox Ruby) because the deck "Wasn't totally mine".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I have some bad trade memories. A Berserk for basically a huge amount of bulk. And my entire collection including power nine, a bunch of OG duals, etc-- and a binder page of Force of Wills* among other things to pay for my wedding to my first wife. :smith:

I kind of want to Alibaba a bunch of nice proxies for a Beta/Arabian Nights/Legends cube.

Objectively 2017 MTG is a better game than 1997 MTG but hopping in the Festiva and driving out to Milwaukee to play with a bunch of other teenagers in a dank pit is something I remember with undeserved nostalgic fondness.

*I was convinced that the devs were monitoring the MTG IRC channels and stole my Original Idea because I posited a card with the same basic mechanic and exact same name in MTG chats after witnessing too many turn-one forked berserk on a ball lightnings or whatever. So I felt like it was "my card" and had a proprietary affinity for it.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 3, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Did anyone else make custom cards by cutting up their chaff and pasting the bits together for submission to get printed in the last page of Scrye (or InQuest, I can't remember)?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
At the time Revised was out, everyone I knew was playing with 40 card constructed decks.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I valued my chronicles elder dragons at their legends printing prices, and felt smug about having over 200 dollars in my locker (actual value, .76 cents)

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

At the time Revised was out, everyone I knew was playing with 40 card constructed decks.

120 card monogreen was a thing I did back then, can't cut a force of nature or a craw wurm or an elf or a wild growth or anything, ever!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I kind of miss the wild, wide open state of the card art before they had proper art direction. Foglio's comic style next to tucker's emotive minimalism.

Realism next to weird surrealism and cubism and stuff.

You don't get weird poo poo like Timewalk or Stasis as much anymore. They trend strongly towards the literal, like the Vintage Master Timewalk reprint is a guy standing on this glowing runic calendar, the kind of on-the-nose stuff you know is from a top-down edict to... paint a guy standing on a stone callendar thing.

I'm still old.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I kind of miss the wild, wide open state of the card art before they had proper art direction. Foglio's comic style next to tucker's emotive minimalism.

Realism next to weird surrealism and cubism and stuff.

You don't get weird poo poo like Timewalk or Stasis as much anymore. They trend strongly towards the literal, like the Vintage Master Timewalk reprint is a guy standing on this glowing runic calendar, the kind of on-the-nose stuff you know is from a top-down edict to... paint a guy standing on a stone callendar thing.

I'm still old.

We have discussions about this from time to time and I agree. Stasis and the one old card art of the glowing eyes looking down on a frightened man are the best pieces of MTG art ever.

The only new art I really appreciate is Pen Island from Theros.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

today in wotc digital

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/915277244758507520

I feel like this was a reasonable enough problem that their internal database should be able to do that

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Elyv posted:

their internal database
Their what now?

To be honest, I'm imagining a shelf with a binder for each physical set.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm picturing the maester's citadel from game of thrones.

Hey if I want to whip up a dirt-cheap CAT themed deck for my daughter for kitchen table play that can compete with similarly casual tribal decks I made from Ixalan and a smattering of other recent sets, is that A Thing I Could Do?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

odiv posted:

Their what now?

To be honest, I'm imagining a shelf with a binder for each physical set.

whenever anyone does a gatherer query that's actually a guy running to the shelf of binders, pulling out the needed cards, and then posting them

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Elyv posted:

today in wotc digital

I feel like this was a reasonable enough problem that their internal database should be able to do that

Depending on database structure this could be a fairly complicated SQL problem or an incredibly simple one. Fortunately scryfall is way better than gathterer. https://scryfall.com/search?as=&order=&q=e%3Am15+-is%3Areprint

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Elyv posted:

today in wotc digital

He already knows scryfall does it. He's just taking a swipe at Gatherer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Or maybe look into Skred for myself?
If you like playing mono red control, I recommend it. Turn 3 Koth is my favorite play beside turn 1 Steel Overseer.

Edit to clarify: I favor Mind Stone over SSG because, even though a potential turn 1 Blood Moon or turn 2 Koth is game-breaking, it is absolutely not worth having a playset of Grey Ogre lurking in my deck waiting to ambush me with disappointment when I need fliers or burn.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tainen posted:

He already knows scryfall does it. He's just taking a swipe at Gatherer.

He's taking a public swipe at his own company's product?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm picturing the maester's citadel from game of thrones.

Hey if I want to whip up a dirt-cheap CAT themed deck for my daughter for kitchen table play that can compete with similarly casual tribal decks I made from Ixalan and a smattering of other recent sets, is that A Thing I Could Do?

Do you have Metallic Mimics?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

En Fuego posted:

i think at least 40% of the appeal of Jester's Cap is not only did that art look dope but it looked super dope on the ice age packaging. the card was something people were afraid of and thought was bullshit but also since it didn't interact with cards in play or hand it wasn't that great. kinda like the problem with extirpate. i still shoved it in every single deck i made for awhile though because it looked so bad rear end.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Do you have Metallic Mimics?

I have very, very little my friend. Enough IXN to make okay-ish tribal decks for all the tribes (got the planeswalker dino one and made some upgrades/substitutions), a smattering of recent expacs and the contents of two deck-builders toolkits, the IXN one and the AKT ones (I bought the XLN one thinking it would have full card art lands like the last one and was disappointed) and a couple recent-ish themed decks. A few welcome decks worth of that dross, too. A real hodgepodge!

E: Already broke my "no singles" rule to get a few to upgrade my constructed ixalan vampires deck. My one weakness is that I'm weak. They were cheap though.

Maybe the wrong thread for this but I'm wondering if Blood Fast is as bad as the conventional wisdom says in my deck. I feel like it's the poor man's necropotence and you're ideally running a surfiet of life with all the lifelink flying around. Like it feels like transforming it is a trap when you have at-will repeatable card draw. Plus ~theme~. :v:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 3, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I have very, very little my friend

Right on, so what would you consider "dirt cheap"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

sit on my Facebook posted:

Right on, so what would you consider "dirt cheap"

Like 20 bucks or less. Like I said, it's kitchen-table magic, I just thought having that as a theme would tickle her since she enjoyed playing the few "kitty" cards that have come up in decks she's played and built like Feral Prowler, Pouncing Cheetah, and Initiates Companion.

I've given some thought to the Feline commander deck which I'm seeing online for like 27 bucks, but it might be a little too much for her.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Like 20 bucks or less. Like I said, it's kitchen-table magic, I just thought having that as a theme would tickle her since she enjoyed playing the few "kitty" cards that have come up in decks she's played and built like Feral Prowler, Pouncing Cheetah, and Initiates Companion.

I've given some thought to the Feline commander deck which I'm seeing online for like 27 bucks, but it might be a little too much for her.

If you go back to Modern-legal sets, Cats have a strong equipment theme. It could be fun for her to suit up some cattes and go to town. White Sun's Zenith is fun because she'll be able to summon a whole bunch of Cat tokens at the end of your turn.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

If you go back to Modern-legal sets, Cats have a strong equipment theme. It could be fun for her to suit up some cattes and go to town. White Sun's Zenith is fun because she'll be able to summon a whole bunch of Cat tokens at the end of your turn.

Ooh, that looks like a fun, cheap rare. And she already learned the concept of "do the instant-speed leftover resource dump thing at the end of your opponent's turn" with Sigilled Starfish.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
How expensive is 8-whack without any goblin guides?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

How expensive is 8-whack without any goblin guides?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-8-whack#paper

about $170 with and $100 without but I'd hold off cos there's a new goblins v elves pre-con coming out and it's got a possible shot of being in there which should make it even lower.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Anyone got advice on how to sell a huge paper collection? Like 5000 cards? It came out to around $8000 on the Average column in the TCG collection tracker and I didn't add a sealed 2017 SDCC Planeswalker Pack and From the Vault: Relics I have

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DariusLikewise posted:

Anyone got advice on how to sell a huge paper collection? Like 5000 cards? It came out to around $8000 on the Average column in the TCG collection tracker and I didn't add a sealed 2017 SDCC Planeswalker Pack and From the Vault: Relics I have

Facebook probably nets me the most value but also takes the most effort. Generally its going to depend on how much you value your time and how lucky you get.

Get ready to be lowballed constantly and try not to take it personal. The mtg community is full of sleazy people who want to flip expensive collections. Lots of people dedicated to living in poverty by doing this very thing.

Expect tcg low to be what you are going to sell on average. The bottom half of your collection is going to be the hardest to move if you can move it at all.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
That makes me think of something I've noticed frequently. MtG players hate negotiating. It's weird. Like they'd all rather sift through binders finding a card(s) that's worth 15 cents to make a trade exactly equal according to the website du jour than offer an even slightly favorable trade to someone else, and they genuinely do take it personally if they get lowball offers on stuff they're trying to move with notable consistency.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that's because they all think they're super smart and trading mtg cards is their version of being stock brokers. and also they value their time at nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I do that because I need your stupid zendikar rare for a cube idea and I keep forgetting to order it off Channelfireball