Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dejawesp posted:

Not at all!

Bio engineered lava scorpions. Science provides :eng101:

Quick, give this man a roll of paper towels and a tall glass of covfefe STAT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Good news everyone! There's no way that the TRUE STORY of Las Vegas could have actually happened.

I like to think that if the government wanted to fake a terrorist attack, they'd come up with a cover story that you'd expect to be true, like an ISIS gunman. Do these nuts actually think a meeting happened where they decided to make the scapegoat some 60-something wealthy gambler?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rigel posted:

The supreme court already decided this issue well over 100 years ago. You can't sue the government unless they decide to allow you to sue the government.

I think I remember reading years ago during the iraq war era that this also applies in many international cases too.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

I like to think that if the government wanted to fake a terrorist attack, they'd come up with a cover story that you'd expect to be true, like an ISIS gunman. Do these nuts actually think a meeting happened where they decided to make the scapegoat some 60-something wealthy gambler?

its just less scary than thinking that normal people can be crazy

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

theflyingorc posted:

Good news everyone! There's no way that the TRUE STORY of Las Vegas could have actually happened.

ALSO, I don't know what semi-auto is, that light interferes with other light sources, what echos are, I believe that people never gamble their money away, and know in my heart that you need a criminal record to do something like this!

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-02-lone-gunman-theory-of-las-vegas-shooter-is-complete-nonsense-stephen-paddock.html

What in the everliving gently caress is Natural News and who the gently caress is Mike Adams?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

i am harry posted:

I think I remember reading years ago during the iraq war era that this also applies in many international cases too.

Remember when Obama warned Congress that passing a law allowing 9/11 families to sue Saudi Arabia was a stupid idea, and then they did it anyway, and overrode his veto, and after it was shown to be a stupid idea they complained that Obama hadn't warned them hard enough? Good times :allears:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Rigel posted:

The supreme court already decided this issue well over 100 years ago. You can't sue the government unless they decide to allow you to sue the government.

As far as I know, standing is always considered first, even before sovereign immunity issues. Whether or not there is cause of action for the state to waive its immunity (whether voluntarily or statutorily) is a moot point if the appellant doesn't have standing to appear in that court in the first place.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

its just less scary than thinking that normal people can be crazy

:( Can't blame them for that, at least.

I am very curious though to hear what led this dude to do what he did. My bets are drugs/prescription abuse, gambling debt blaze-of-glory, or undiagnosed mental-health issues. Or a combo.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is a 19-tweet entertaining rant. Rick Wilson is a #NeverTrump Republican who will probably stop being fun to follow after Trump is gone.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/915298219168542720

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Grassy Knowles posted:

What in the everliving gently caress is Natural News and who the gently caress is Mike Adams?

I mean, they're garbage internet sources that believe in tons of shadowy conspiracy theories. I just thought it would be fun to see what the conspiracy side of the web thinks.

I'm pretty impressed that they think that people actually died, a pretty significant step up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grassy Knowles posted:

You do not want to know.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Madkal posted:

Quick question from a Canuck, but can the American people bring about a class action suit against the government and NRA for failing to fulfill their duties and actually protect it's own people? I mean could the families of victims and victims come up with a case against the government that proves that their incompetence and refusal to try curb gun violence has led to the death of the loved ones?

The NRA is not government

So no.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kaal posted:

As far as I know, standing is always considered first, even before sovereign immunity issues. Whether or not there is cause of action for the state to waive its immunity (whether voluntarily or statutorily) is a moot point if the appellant doesn't have standing to appear in that court in the first place.

Its a pretty firm brick wall even if you have standing. You can often sue individuals who maliciously abused their power, but the government? Nope.

"Yep, the government screwed you pretty badly with their collective lack of action, so you might have standing.... woops in 1899 the SCOTUS said you can't sue the government. Sorry, g'bye!"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/915300694399307777

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Madkal posted:

Quick question from a Canuck, but can the American people bring about a class action suit against the government and NRA for failing to fulfill their duties and actually protect it's own people? I mean could the families of victims and victims come up with a case against the government that proves that their incompetence and refusal to try curb gun violence has led to the death of the loved ones?

In addition to the soverign immunity point, nothing in the Constitution actually gives the federal government this duty. and that's not just a drafting error or the like: the "police power" was reserved to the states, not the federal government: the founders would have been very surprised at the extent to which the federal government is "regulating commerce". but the Constitution doesn't give Congress any duties. It just specifies their powers. The President has a duty to see that the laws are "faithfully executed" but that's not a freestanding duty to protect the people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It should also not be understated how powerful the NRA is or what they really mean. They are not a group that pushed for people to own guns. They are a group that pushes for the "right" people, ie right wing people, to own guns. They are our biggest de facto militia group in the entire country with money and materials to back it up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rigel posted:

Its a pretty firm brick wall even if you have standing. You can often sue individuals who maliciously abused their power, but the government? Nope.

"Yep, the government screwed you pretty badly with their collective lack of action, so you might have standing.... woops in 1899 the SCOTUS said you can't sue the government. Sorry, g'bye!"

Well, ruling otherwise would just open the door to a flood of sore-loser lawsuits. If you don't like what the government is doing, vote to change the government. If your side lost, tough poo poo. You don't get to use the courts to bypass the results of a lawful election.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DandyLion posted:

Also when Trump closes his eyes we all momentarily cease to exist. I'm pretty sure its a developmental stage in infants that was missed.

This wasn't even the first time object permanency came up today. Saw an author comment that Trump is missing it because of this morning's stories (a long time ago!) about Trump already having forgotten about the deal he had made with Democrats.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

The leopard is getting real loving hungry, and it will have some septuagenarian faces before it's done.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Motherfuckers need their tax cuts one way or another.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Watch them be the ones to print the coin.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

TARDISman posted:

Tactically brilliant, if you consider most of the people you'll kill wouldn't have made it to the next election anyways.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Surely this well help the economy.

Or least, the economy of whatever country our .1% wealthiest assholes decide to invest in. Assuming they don't just stockpile all their money.

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

DandyLion posted:

Tactically brilliant, if you consider most of the people you'll kill wouldn't have made it to the next election anyways.

Well it will probably kill off the old (read: baby boomer retirees) and rural people (read: republicans/conservative voters) first, so seems like a good plan.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TARDISman posted:

hey, millionaire tax cuts ain't cheap. The lazy poors should probably get a job and put money into their HSA's. They can't afford HSA's? Fine, then just die.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i actually find it genuinely baffling that's in the senate republican budget. they worked so hard to squash the calls to repeal obamacare with this bill too, because they know the more it has to do the more likely it is that it fails. how in the loving hell is tacking on a trillion dollars of medicaid cuts (which probably loses you collins and maybe more) and 500 billion of medicare cuts (god almighty will that piss off old people, who you desperately need in 2018) going to do anything but sink tax cuts?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Fair enough. The tax cuts will have to be paid somehow

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

i actually find it genuinely baffling that's in the senate republican budget. they worked so hard to squash the calls to repeal obamacare with this bill too, because they know the more it has to do the more likely it is that it fails. how in the loving hell is tacking on a trillion dollars of medicaid cuts (which probably loses you collins and maybe more) and 500 billion of medicare cuts (god almighty will that piss off old people, who you desperately need in 2018) going to do anything but sink tax cuts?

Republicans are loving stupid.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/engadget/status/915310850981982209

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Well, they got a foreign born black gay man, partnered him up with a transgendered man and two kidnapped kids, supplied him with documents so fake they could be detected by civilians over the internet in a move calculated to make him a slam dunk to be elected president so...apparently shadowy figures love a challenge.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Of course he loving would.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

The goal isn't to pass policy, it's to be the Most Right Wing Congressperson.

Classic tragedy of the commons / prisoner's dilemma.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think it goes without saying, but if a company like this can be compromised in this way by one employee, no matter who that employee is, they have hosed up on so many levels already.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/915309049855361024

At some point in the next week we're going to find out this rear end in a top hat was super, unironically, into the Purge.

evilweasel posted:

I mean it's obviously incremental passage right? This isn't the final bill it's just what we need to pass to get the ball rolling. This isn't the final bill it's just to move it onto the floor. This isn't the final bill it just pushes it to the Senate. This isn't the final bill it's just so we can get to committee. What are you going to do stop tax cuts now? When we're so close?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnoHito posted:

I think it goes without saying, but if a company like this can be compromised in this way by one employee, no matter who that employee is, they have hosed up on so many levels already.

No see it was some dude's job to patch the server and check the patch worked so it is solely their fault when the server doesn't get patched. The system worked.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Natural news is full of anti vaxx fuckwads so please don't source them if you, too, don't want to be a fuckwad.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

I bet it was that rear end in a top hat Dave.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Natural news is full of anti vaxx fuckwads so please don't source them if you, too, don't want to be a fuckwad.

it's alex jones for the fringe left

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dammit I heard Trump was throwing in the towel. I was hoping it meant something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the answers. I just find it interesting that outside of suing the offender (or his estate I guess) there isn't much they can do for legislative change outside of voting the fuckers out. I guess it makes sense if the term is too broad and you would end up with some idiots suing the gov. over something like the ACA or something stupid.

• Locked thread