Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Not having Ming join the war when a tributary gets attacked by a non-tributary would solve the entire problem. Or maybe only let them join defensive wars against their rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Dance Officer posted:

Not having Ming join the war when a tributary gets attacked by a non-tributary would solve the entire problem. Or maybe only let them join defensive wars against their rivals.

They could just give them like a -200 to join. Maybe lower it to like -50 or so if it's a bordering tributary. That would stop them from joining everything that involves a tributary, but still make it so they intervene if they really hate the other guy, or if it directly threatens them.

I would mod it in, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can mod reasons for war...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Poil posted:

How else could you solve the problem with Ming? The only way is to make other already strong nations more powerful to compensate.

papal state can now raise Archangels in every province of catholic faith. they automatically convert provinces they siege

mesoamericans can recruit llama cavalry. they ignore mountain penalties

england's land units have been replaced by boats. they are boats

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Poil posted:

How else could you solve the problem with Ming? The only way is to make other already strong nations more powerful to compensate.

Doesn't Paradox get together to play MP? I don't understand how they haven't noticed how imbalanced unique nation mechanics like the Streltsy are.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

oddium posted:

papal state can now raise Archangels in every province of catholic faith. they automatically convert provinces they siege

mesoamericans can recruit llama cavalry. they ignore mountain penalties

england's land units have been replaced by boats. they are boats

Who knew that the latest version of Fall from Heaven would be an EUIV mod?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

there's a button + bar in the government tab that fills up 3 + your monarch's military points every year. when it hits 100 you can raise 20% of your force limit of +10% fire damage infantry at no ducat/manpower cost. it's super broken
That is insane compared to paying 50 MP to recruit from heathen lands you own for Janissaries. Though it may make going Coptic more interesting...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poil posted:

I know you're joking--but I'm getting really frustrated at this point.

At a minimum, gently caress with the way they acquire and maintain tributaries. Give a penalty to accept for non-bordering tributaries, plus a distance penalty and make it more likely for tributaries to sever relations if certain things happen (you're getting your poo poo kicked in, relations get bad, etc)

Give a severe penalty for losing the mandate and a grace period once you've gained it (for some number of years have no or reduced penalties to having borders without tributaries and maybe some bonuses--or, hell, have it so that the Ming/previous holder of the Mandate are a special exception to the border rule), so it's no longer a trap and properly reflects the "mandate" changing hands.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah the fact that Ming keeps its tributaries when it loses the Mandate is pretty stupid. The guys at Paradox are really creative, I am sure they can come up with something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best ming fix was that countries get a severe penalty in trade nodes that ming dominates/owns the most centers of trade/ whatever if they don't pay the tribute

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Eldred posted:

Doesn't Paradox get together to play MP? I don't understand how they haven't noticed how imbalanced unique nation mechanics like the Streltsy are.

At the end of the day Russia is still Russia and Russia is in kind of a lovely place, techwise.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That is insane compared to paying 50 MP to recruit from heathen lands you own for Janissaries. Though it may make going Coptic more interesting...

Iran(Persia) also did the same thing with Georgians and I believe Armenians. Persia should get access to it as well.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wow, even more special units/rules/mechanics tucked away in a secondary screen, how exciting!

This might well be a "pass" dlc, I already kind of regret getting Third Rome (but the exploit with siberian frontiers on a custom nation in NA was fun I must admit) which was just 10$, this new DLC for double that doesn't sound so enticing even if I am planning a Middle Eastern playthrough once it hits

I think it's time to call it quits and work on EU5 Paradox, I love you guys and your DLC model but enough is enough...

I have to admit though, Rum's map colour is all kinds of awesome and their NI look pretty cool

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
imo there are two problems with Ming: 1) tributary range and defensive call to arms, plus 2) extreme stability of Ming even with their Mandate reduced to zero.

oddium posted:

the best ming fix was that countries get a severe penalty in trade nodes that ming dominates/owns the most centers of trade/ whatever if they don't pay the tribute

1) Increase range penalty for tributaries so Ming doesn't end up with tributaries all the way to the Urals, plus change it from a defensive call to arms to a trading mechanic like oddium mentions. Then you could have a more realistic and interesting interaction with Europeans wanting to open up access to Chinese trade.

2) Add a scaling penalty to available mercenaries with low Mandate in addition to the weakened combat strength of regiments. Right now, even if you tank Ming's Mandate so their armies are terrible, they can effortlessly swat down rebels by hiring 100+ merc regiments because they're fantastically wealthy. You will often see Ming with zero manpower for decades on end but that doesn't hurt them at all. Reducing available mercenaries by 50 or even 100% with low Mandate would help make low Mandate an actually meaningful penalty.

Ming's ability to run an almost all-merc army means revolts don't do anything to them and low Mandate doesn't significantly affect their internal stability. Nerfing their merc forcelimits at low Mandate would also encourage other AI nations to attack them. The AI doesn't see the +50% fire and shock damage received modifier but does consider total army size when deciding to attack. With Ming hiring fewer mercs it would encourage AI nations to attack when Ming is weakened by a low Mandate, at present this never happens.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 3, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ming should just gèt 0 mercs imo. Low manpower should be rightfully crippling to them, as it was historically on many occasions. I'm still unconvinced about no defensive CTA though, although it obviously needs to be tweaked.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Low Mandate should increase liberty desire in their subjects. This also needs to scale way better with the power/amount of tributaries. Ming has to core/conquer stuff, not just diplo tributary.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
15 years to defeat Muscovy, take all the provinces I need to form Golden Horde, and core Tambov and Kasimov. I just might pull it off.

I was getting stressed because Poland was in huge debt and wouldn't accept the CtA. Then Muscovy declared on me and Poland joined defensively. Problem solved. I hope.

And yes this is the same game I talked about weeks ago. I don't play too often these days so games go slow. Doesn't help that I play on speed 1 while also listening to business lectures.

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
Changing religion as the ottomans makes you lose their government form. Im assuming the new janissaries are tied to this form and thus its an even bigger nerf.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's some screenshots on the Steam page for the new DLC and there's some new features shown.

Included is the ability to pay cash to upgrade advisors, taking them up to +5 (with a rediculously high monthly cost)

I wish it didn't feel like they're trying to encourage people to get DLC by just letting the player become even more comically broken with every patch.

There's also a Mamluk unique government type with +3 accepted cultures and +2 to ruler admin stat :wtc:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

RabidWeasel posted:

There's also a Mamluk unique government type with +3 accepted cultures and +2 to ruler admin stat :wtc:

Because when I think of the late 15th century Mamluks, I think of a culturally accepting bureaucracy and not a bunch of Turkish cultural supremacists larping as crusades era warriors until the Ottomans came and blew them away with artillery and mass firepower.
e: I guess it's not entirely off. Everyone was equally inferior to the Mamluk caste, and they did do a remarkable job of streamlining government administration by more or less getting rid of the concept and just defacto integrating everything into the military.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 3, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fairly unrelated but I was listening to music on youtube when this showed up in the list of recommended stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUE05sRwrA No idea but it seems to be about Kazakh? Could anyone shed some light on it please? :)

RabidWeasel posted:

Included is the ability to pay cash to upgrade advisors, taking them up to +5 (with a rediculously high monthly cost)
Upgrading advisors sounds like it could be useful. It can be a little annoying when you have to choice between a +1 with a useful bonus you need or a +3 with a useless bonus that's completely irrelevant.

Please don't start blabbing about the "oh you pay to replace the advisor"-crap. It never loving works and you end up spending tons of money month after month of getting the wrong ones over and over! And no, I know about the multiple advisor of the same type thing.

I hope upgrading costs a bunch though so you can't just spam it whenever (and hopefully the tooltip will inform you of how much the new monthly fee will be). Also how will it work with half priced ones you get from events?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

so timurids + aq qoyunlu + qara qoyunlu aren't hordes anymore i guess

e: oh yeah they get the russian government style buttons that's right. i am on flu medicine please ignore me

oddium fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 3, 2017

White Coke
May 29, 2015

oddium posted:

so timurids + aq qoyunlu + qara qoyunlu aren't hordes anymore i guess

e: oh yeah they get the russian government style buttons that's right. i am on flu medicine please ignore me

Don't know what the Timurids are now, but the other two are tribal federations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Upgrading advisors sounds like it could be useful. It can be a little annoying when you have to choice between a +1 with a useful bonus you need or a +3 with a useless bonus that's completely irrelevant.

Please don't start blabbing about the "oh you pay to replace the advisor"-crap. It never loving works and you end up spending tons of money month after month of getting the wrong ones over and over! And no, I know about the multiple advisor of the same type thing.
Amen, brother.

Joopjan posted:

Changing religion as the ottomans makes you lose their government form. Im assuming the new janissaries are tied to this form and thus its an even bigger nerf.
When did this become a thing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 3, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

When did this become a thing?

Its been a thing since the Ottoman government got added. Which was... 3? Patches ago?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Huh upgraded advisors is cool. I feel like the game has a huge glut of ways to get monarch points these days though; it's ironic, since a couple of years ago there was the total opposite problem, but between estates, disinheritance and great powers (i.e. permanent 50+ power projection), I've pretty much stopped ever not being ahead on tech. I almost always develop and culture convert like mad too now.

e: I like the aq qoyunlu government button that's literally just a picture of horses

TorakFade posted:

even if I am planning a Middle Eastern playthrough once it hits

:confused: uh what? I get it not sounding like it has universal appeal outside of that, but it sounds like it's gonna be absolutely great for the middle east to me.

Doubling down on regional flavor is the direction I hoped they'd go and most of what they've shown off seems to do that pretty well. I agree that tying all these interactions to the clunky states window is a mark against them though; state interactions really need a macrobuilder tab.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 3, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Hell yes. I'm guessing it will follow the same quadratic pattern, so level 4 and 5 advisers would cost 16 and 25 ducats a month respectively, +0.5% per year since 1444.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
here's some of the screenshots with new stuff:

In addition to the whole upgrade thing, there's two new buttons for the advisors on the left too? To do with culture and religion? I wonder if you can only upgrade accepted-culture advisors to the top rank or something. Seems neat that they're fleshing advisors out a bit though, they can add a lot of character to individual regions since they're one of the only parts of your country that has a face, I always thought that should be expanded on a bit.

Seems... drastic.

Can't wait for this. That window needs to be a bit bigger though, look how stuffed with buttons it is now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember how we were complaining about feature bloat.

We've reached peak button bloat too, EUV please.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Why aren't their allies and their masters joining in on wars? This is going to make the take all of America with a customer nation achievement easy.

Uziduke fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 4, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I wonder what the cooldown on this is. Since I usually abandon the continent as England, I guess I'll drain the poo poo out of my French provinces before selling them off.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Can you raze and also exploit at the same time

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Uziduke posted:

Why aren't their allies and their masters joining in on wars? This is going to make the take all of America with a customer nation achievement easy.

Colonies won't call in their overlords if the attacker has their capital in the Americas.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah you can take all but one province so the colonial nation still exists and use it as a seed for the overlord to grow more insanely easy free land

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

aqu posted:

Colonies won't call in their overlords if the attacker has their capital in the Americas.

Cool, I guess i"m going to steam roll all these colonies. Why I took exploration/expansion later in the game. easy to take these colonies than make my own.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Poil posted:

Fairly unrelated but I was listening to music on youtube when this showed up in the list of recommended stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUE05sRwrA No idea but it seems to be about Kazakh? Could anyone shed some light on it please? :)

Not sure if it's in turkish or kazakh. They're pretty similar and getting even more similar these days, but while they have many of the same words, they don't always mean the exact same thing or fit together the same.The Orkhon runes kinda give it away as a Turkish pan-nationalism kinda thing. Ditto that sky blue flag with a wolf on it. So while it's about kazakhs it could very well be made by Turkish nationalistic types claiming Kazakhstan as another part of the glorious turkish culture. Title is "We are the Turkish Rain".
First part is mostly generic mythical heroism stuff. "I shouted the anthem of my father, something something knowing the cost of valour etc"
Mentions the Saka and the Hun. Can't figure out the context. It's either they admire/teach us or we admire/teach them. Mentions an obscure Crimean Khan who was coexistant with the kazakh khanate and had nothing to do with them as far as me and the various turkic wikipedias know. Says they made a covenant?* Mentions a couple of the more succssful early Khans (Kasim and Esim). Also two of the ones who ruled over the Khanates decline but did their best given the shite circumstances (Tauke and Ablai). Interspersed throughout with various generic nationalistic/heroic/mythic stuff.

fake edit: Canıbek Giray Hanlar uses the plural of Khan, so it's two guys: Janybek Khan and Kerey Khan, the co founders of the Kazakh Khanate. Confusing because Giray/Kerey was the dynasty of the Crimeans, and they had a ruler named Canibek/Janybek. Same names but the latinisation used in the video are the ones usually used for the Crimean names not the Kazakh ones.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Uziduke posted:

I'm the apostrophe in the middle of the Caribbean.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't know why people complain so much about feature bloat - I love tinkering around with all the different sub-systems and if Paradox want to put more into the game I say more power to them - stuff that game so full of bars and buttons and mana trackers that you can't go a month without the game going 'ding' because some number container reach its new level so you can upgrade some widget.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

I don't know why people complain so much about feature bloat - I love tinkering around with all the different sub-systems and if Paradox want to put more into the game I say more power to them - stuff that game so full of bars and buttons and mana trackers that you can't go a month without the game going 'ding' because some number container reach its new level so you can upgrade some widget.

Partly it's that I've put thousands of (enjoyable) hours into both EU3 and EU4 and most of these additions are just small tweaks to the base gameplay. It's hard for me to get excited about a little window dressing when there are many base mechanics in need of a serious overhaul. The combat system is a good example-- it's very complex, needlessly so, and based on rolling actual physical dice because EU started as an adaptation of a board game.

The other annoying issue is UI and micromanagement bloat. The state interface is already annoying to work with and it seems like they're adding a bunch of new stuff to states.

Paradox's DLC model prevents them from making major paid DLC changes to the game since that would force players to buy the DLC when they're intended to be mostly optional. So we get a bunch of bars and buttons slapped on top when really the foundational mechanics could use an overhaul. Hence, lots of players wanting an EU5.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Anyone else getting weird AI issues lately? I've had two wars in a row in which all countries involved just parked their troops stacks in their capitals and other big cities, and sometimes wiggled a bit back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Schizotek posted:

Not sure if it's in turkish or kazakh. They're pretty similar and getting even more similar these days, but while they have many of the same words, they don't always mean the exact same thing or fit together the same.The Orkhon runes kinda give it away as a Turkish pan-nationalism kinda thing. Ditto that sky blue flag with a wolf on it. So while it's about kazakhs it could very well be made by Turkish nationalistic types claiming Kazakhstan as another part of the glorious turkish culture. Title is "We are the Turkish Rain".
First part is mostly generic mythical heroism stuff. "I shouted the anthem of my father, something something knowing the cost of valour etc"
Mentions the Saka and the Hun. Can't figure out the context. It's either they admire/teach us or we admire/teach them. Mentions an obscure Crimean Khan who was coexistant with the kazakh khanate and had nothing to do with them as far as me and the various turkic wikipedias know. Says they made a covenant?* Mentions a couple of the more succssful early Khans (Kasim and Esim). Also two of the ones who ruled over the Khanates decline but did their best given the shite circumstances (Tauke and Ablai). Interspersed throughout with various generic nationalistic/heroic/mythic stuff.

fake edit: Canıbek Giray Hanlar uses the plural of Khan, so it's two guys: Janybek Khan and Kerey Khan, the co founders of the Kazakh Khanate. Confusing because Giray/Kerey was the dynasty of the Crimeans, and they had a ruler named Canibek/Janybek. Same names but the latinisation used in the video are the ones usually used for the Crimean names not the Kazakh ones.
Cool, thank you. That was even more informative than I was hoping for. So it's most likely nationalistic crap, even more evident because of all the historical errors in the lyrics :v:, which is a bit disappointing. Thank you again. :)

• Locked thread