Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know what to say if you think any manga artist dying while working will be a major shock for the industry instead of getting romanticized

yeah it will probably not be the industry-shaking change people are theorizing

see the previous page where an author feels the need to apologize for being too sick to meet a deadline, what, three times in a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
unionize mangaka

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know what to say if you think any manga artist dying while working will be a major shock for the industry instead of getting romanticized

Yeah, killing yourself for your work is endemic to Japanese society. The Mangaka life isn't much more extreme than the average salaryman.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah, killing yourself for your work is endemic to Japanese societycapitalism.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is what happens when you take a one artist's crazy passion and turn it into the minimum expected effort in order to be able to make ends meet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pass a law saying no manga artist is allowed to work harder than Kentaro Miura.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

Pass a law saying no manga artist is allowed to work harder than Kentaro Miura.

Only if a law is passed outlawing Idolm@ster

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

PMush Perfect posted:

This is what happens when you take a one artist's crazy passion and turn it into the minimum expected effort in order to be able to make ends meet.

Ty for just knowing how to spell "ends meet".

First time I've seen it not as "meat" in a while.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ty for just knowing how to spell "ends meet".

First time I've seen it not as "meat" in a while.

:stare:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I hadn't really considered the possibility of Vault Boy being the MHA Batman, especially since they actually just showed Nighteye teaching him how to predict people's movements without using a quirk.

Plus, tricking him out with tech to make up for it would give us an excuse for Mei to come center stage again. :3:

Edit: I do hope there's some kind of serious consequences for using 20% OFA, otherwise Deku's power just more than doubled with nothing more than a "
Recovery Girl lecture and a few days of bed rest" slap on the wrist until he gets used to it.

He went beyond 5% against the muscle guy too. He's been able to use more of his power with no drawback in situations where he's acting entirely on heroic instinct.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah, killing yourself for your work is endemic to Japanese society. The Mangaka life isn't much more extreme than the average salaryman.

killing yourself for your work: the all might story

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Name 1 (one) person who is ungodly rich, not evil and could kick someone's rear end.

Tony Stark?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Name 1 (one) person who is ungodly rich, not evil and could kick someone's rear end.
Chris Pratt. Chris Evans. Samuel L Jackson. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Hugh Jackman.

Edit: Now imagine each one of them all dressing up as Batman at the same costume party and all insisting on staying in-character. No two of them are dressed as the same Batman.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PMush Perfect posted:

Chris Pratt. Chris Evans. Samuel L Jackson. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Hugh Jackman.

Edit: Now imagine each one of them all dressing up as Batman at the same costume party and all insisting on staying in-character. No two of them are dressed as the same Batman.

He said ungodly rich.

Those guys aren't even close

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tony Stark went Fascist for a bit

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

He said ungodly rich.

Those guys aren't even close
Bill Gates in a tank.

Edit: Ma Huateng.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 3, 2017

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tony Stark went Fascist for a bit

No more so than the setting of MHA really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

which marvel characters haven't gone a bit nazi?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, Captain America, obv- wait. poo poo. :cripes:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Squirrel Girl is free from the taint of fascism.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, also Magneto.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nazi spider-man's costume change will just be him shaving jjj's mustache off and gluing it onto his mask

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

nazi spider-man's costume change will just be him shaving jjj's mustache off and gluing it onto his mask
Act! I need Fotos! Fotos of das Spider-Man!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

JosephWongKS posted:

Squirrel Girl is free from the taint of fascism.
She still kinda sucks though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Impossible Man?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The description of his ability says that whatever Sir does to try and avoid a future will only avert it for a couple of minutes at most. It means when he saw All Might's death it never would have been at the hands of AfO anyway, So for the person who asked Mirio would have been shot after a few minutes regardless of if he avoided it the first time.

I think Deku's 20% will put a lot of strain on his body for sure but the main problem he mentions with it is maintaining it. Take his first fight with Gran Torino for example, after the first ding he dropped the cowling and then had to scramble around and hide while he switched it back on. He says it'll be a struggle to maintain here and I think that's what he means. There's also the possibility his control will slip the other way and he'll accidentally throw something at max power because he's unused to maintaining this percentage. Another problem could be his reaction times and movements aren't calibrated to moving this fast so he might jump directly into a wall etc. I think that's another factor limiting the amount of OfA he can use not just the strain but whether or not his senses can deal with what his Quirk lets him do.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like Overhaul on concept maybe because they keep hinting there's something else going on about him but they're already fighting him and haven't really explained. I assume it's gonna be a post battle flashback or something. I reread the start of the arc and it's still fantastic with the Twice chapter, the yakuza meeting and fighting with shigaraki and all that. It's weird because they seemed way more competent back then.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My issue with Overhaul thinking on it is that he seems like a good candidate to be more tragic than he is and it isn't explored. People have mentioned his power could have all kinds of crazy usage for good but isn't and that's interesting.

I'm fine with this arc otherwise though, although it isn't quite up to par with the previous arc.

I'd like to think Patreon or a Japanese version plus youtubing/twitch could be a useful stopgap means to allow a lot of mangaka to leave the shackles of publishing and let their fans fund their work directly; plus streaming while drawing/gaming for a supplement, do some Q&A, directly connect, etc. There's one Japanese artist I follow on twitch, she seems cool.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Web manga is an interesting idea. Chapters of One Punch Man and Made In Abyss seem to come out whenever their authors feel like it.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
As someone who basically just binged this whole arc it does read better when you read it all at once but it definitely started to drag before the overhaul fight started.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
So far every villain worked alongside Shigaraki has been defeated & captured at the end of the arc they're introduced, and a lot of people just kind of don't care about Overhaul because he's neither as cool and memorable as Stain nor as lore-important as All For One. If he's getting locked up after this fight then it's like, well, that was certainly a guy I guess. However, something about Overhaul's character and what little backstory we've seen makes me think he was planned with the intention of sticking around in some capacity for a couple more arcs, maybe with the League, maybe on his own, and at some point getting some more development and a second round with the heroes. But with the way things are going, if that was the case, Horikoshi either changed his mind partway through the arc or was told by an editor to change it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

. But with the way things are going, if that was the case, Horikoshi either changed his mind partway through the arc or was told by an editor to change it.

It felt like that to me as well, like someone told him to just rush to the end at certain point.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where is MHA?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MHA transcends alignment systems

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't know why BNHA and Boku no Hero Academia are separated. I guess it's how you refer to it online?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm going to keep dissecting this and there's nothing you can do to stop me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hate-Senpai posted:

Where is MHA?

the back

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Xarbala posted:

I'm going to keep dissecting this and there's nothing you can do to stop me

Why? We all know Macadamia is now the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gazebo! (Bulbous bouffant!)