Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

that screenshot doesn't even do it justice. you have to walk along those lava lakes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=239302867

It's the only game I've ever played where I had to turn the brightness down on the TV to see anything, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
volcanic dragon rear end land is a treasure

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Macaluso posted:

Uh what? No they didn't? You could completely ignore the "press me to win" button.

Unless your problem is that the option is there at all which... I mean... just ignore it

I think there are definitely some psychological factors in play which make a lot of people dislike those kind of "I win" buttons if they're always available. For example I feel like if a game had all of its unlockables and rewards available at any point by just clicking on them, as an alternative to earning them the normal way throughout the course of the game and by completing tough challenges and whatnot, the rewarding feeling of earning them the normal way would be almost completely gone for many even though you could obviously "just not click on them."

Being able to choose whether you want to have the option available to you or not at the start of the game or something similar is probably be the best solution if you want to please everyone. More than a few games do it like that already.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Colonel posted:

lol i'm glad the secret ending of dynamite headdy is just headdy beating the crap out of a greedy theater owner while dodging falling yen

that game owned, i'm glad genesis-era treasure existed

Actually that's meant to be the president of Sega

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol

http://store.steampowered.com/app/598120/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_Special_Edition__Creation_Club/

quote:

750 CC Credits - $7.99
1500 CC Credits - $14.99
3000 CC Credits - $24.99
5500 CC Credits - $39.99

:lol:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Didn't Skyrim come out like 200 years ago why haven't they made a new one

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
They figured out they could just sell the old one again and people would still buy it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skyrim came out on 11/11/11, which is easy to remember because it's the day minecraft came out

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It's all Skyrims from here.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

1- Is there not a thread for Evil Within 2?

There is not. I was considering making one myself but I don't think anyone would post in it. If I can be bothered to make a pretty OP while I'm still sick, I'll do it anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's a cool survival mode and all but can i play it on the version of the game people make mods for

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

because of elder scrolls online. the moment they make a new elder scrolls without a subscription fee they'll lose all their mmo money.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

an actual dog posted:

because of elder scrolls online. the moment they make a new elder scrolls without a subscription fee they'll lose all their mmo money.

ESO is buy-to-play with a cash shop.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What's buy-to-play? Never heard of that one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently Forza has the worst loot boxes yet. Are we nearing the point where a publisher flies too close to the sun?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What's buy-to-play? Never heard of that one.
it means you can just buy it and play it like a regular game, as opposed to paying a sub

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

chumbler posted:

Apparently Forza has the worst loot boxes yet. Are we nearing the point where a publisher flies too close to the sun?

No, because people will just grumble, buy the games, and such practices will soon become commonplace. Same as it ever was. :unsmigghh:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

ESO is buy-to-play with a cash shop.

Okay, my post still stands tho lol. They don't want to stop the mmo money so no new game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Forza doesn't have lootboxes...they're "prize crates"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

homeless snail posted:

it means you can just buy it and play it like a regular game, as opposed to paying a sub

You buy a game and just.. play it? That'll never catch on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
My copy of Last Window came in from some place called 'Europe' (sp?)

What's this?

I don't think I've found a handwritten note in a game I've bought since like, the mid-nineties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

There is not. I was considering making one myself but I don't think anyone would post in it. If I can be bothered to make a pretty OP while I'm still sick, I'll do it anyway.

I haven't been watching your Evil Within 1 because I wanted to get around to it myself, I just started it today.

This game is goddamn stupid as gently caress and I love it. It's like Michael Bay's Resident Evil 4, and RE4 was already Michael Bay as gently caress

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

My copy of Last Window came in from some place called 'Europe' (sp?)

It's been a long time since I played Last Window but I think there was a puzzle that required you to open a sealed part of the instruction manual, maybe it's got something to do with that (or it's probably just that guy's notes but there's an ingame journal you can draw on so idk what his deal is)

e: oh i didn't see the manual is right there, my post makes no sense

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 3, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze had this and it was infuriating because it was like Nintendo was making fun of you for dying in this incredibly difficult videogame. So I'd add the stipulation that you can turn the feature off.

Tropical Freeze did not have any kind of Super Guide option that I can recall (unless you need to die like an absurd amount of times in order to trigger it).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

I haven't been watching your Evil Within 1 because I wanted to get around to it myself, I just started it today.

This game is goddamn stupid as gently caress and I love it. It's like Michael Bay's Resident Evil 4, and RE4 was already Michael Bay as gently caress

Sebastian's "What the gently caress?" in the second chapter is my favorite line in the entire game. It is perfectly voice acted and I am so sad he is not voiced by Anson Mount in the sequel. That man has the absolute best deadpan curse word drops.

I hope you enjoy it, man, it's a goddamn good game. My advice to you is to play the first few chapters like it's The Last of Us. Too many people try to play it like RE and get curbstomped and run out of ammo, but if you sneak around and only shoot if you have to, it's a lot more fun.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 3, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

It's been a long time since I played Last Window but I think there was a puzzle that required you to open a sealed part of the instruction manual, maybe it's got something to do with that (or it's probably just that guy's notes but there's an ingame journal you can draw on so idk what his deal is)

e: oh i didn't see the manual is right there, my post makes no sense

Yeah, just looks like notes. I see the sealed puzzle in the manual though which I have already decided I'm too dumb to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Sebastian's "What the gently caress?" in the second chapter is my favorite line in the entire game. It is perfectly voice acted and I am so sad he is not voiced by Anson Mount in the sequel. That man has the absolute best deadpan curse word drops.

seriously, that was the moment I was like "alright, I'm on board now". I admire just how much the game hates you with that first gameplay stealth section, too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

I like the boss runs because it gives me time to mentally recover from tilting

The one Nioh fight that's just a boss duel kind of proved that for me. There was a set of 40-50 deaths where I was just on autopilot and running into the room to die over and over because I was mentally fatigued to the breaking point

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What really makes me lose it in Soulsborne games is when I mess up and die to one of the mooks that's on the way to the boss.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

I hope you enjoy it, man, it's a goddamn good game. My advice to you is to play the first few chapters like it's The Last of Us. Too many people try to play it like RE and get curbstomped and run out of ammo, but if you sneak around and only shoot if you have to, it's a lot more fun.

+1 to making all your shots count. I wasn't too starved for ammo throughout the game and when I was low, it was thrilling.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ometeotl posted:

They never removed Jontron from the game and the creator has a history of being an insane plagiarist, so I'm gonna pass.

What do you mean by the latter?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Edit: misread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836412

Blammo. Please come talk about how The Evil Within 2 is going to loving rule.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Viewtiful Jew posted:

What do you mean by the latter?

He knowingly put viruses into files he put on MFGG, he doxxed/harassed a dude he plagiarized from for wanting his work removed from modding projects.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a source for that anywhere?? I cannot find anything on those claims.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

CJacobs posted:

Is there a source for that anywhere?? I cannot find anything on those claims.

I think this is the source for the second part at least.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
drat, bummer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A Shat in Crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees