Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Daandrah posted:

Hi Guys,

I want to do a Let's Play of Elder Scrolls IV Skyrim.

I have been reading the rules and it says in there to use the SSLP test poster? i'm not sure what that is? I click the link and go in there and post my screenshot but then what do I do?

Did you actually click on the link where it said "SSLP Test Poster"? If you're not willing to invest the effort into carefully reading the first post then I'm not sure an LP of a huge game like Skyrim is a good first project.

(An LP of a huge game like Skyrim is almost never a good first project anyway)

Your images are too dark, and you shouldn't use the timg tag for every screenshot; nobody wants to have to click on them to view them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did you actually click on the link where it said "SSLP Test Poster"? If you're not willing to invest the effort into carefully reading the first post then I'm not sure an LP of a huge game like Skyrim is a good first project.

(An LP of a huge game like Skyrim is almost never a good first project anyway)

Your images are too dark, and you shouldn't use the timg tag for every screenshot; nobody wants to have to click on them to view them.

Yes I did click the link and when I went to the site I was not sure what to do with it? Do I make all my posts on that site or? I have been looking at other LP's to see how they do it.

Dont worry mate I will figure it out.

I appreciate your comments on it not being a good idea for a 1st LP and I think I agree. might do something else.

D

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Basically the test poster is where you write your updates before you put them on the forums. You don't just put one image up and call it a day. Sometimes people post a link to the test poster for updates, but most often a copy/paste from there to your thread is the done thing.

Sorry if this isn't very clear.

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

Basically the test poster is where you write your updates before you put them on the forums. You don't just put one image up and call it a day. Sometimes people post a link to the test poster for updates, but most often a copy/paste from there to your thread is the done thing.

Sorry if this isn't very clear.

Yeah I have gathered that. I have been looking at some of the other LP's and its all starting to make sense.

Thanks

D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Daandrah posted:

Yeah I have gathered that. I have been looking at some of the other LP's and its all starting to make sense.

Thanks

D

You don't need to sign your posts.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've made a video of Toy Story 3 intending that to be my next project, but want to check how the audio levelling is. I used the same processes as my Lego City LP so the quality is decent, but want to check that I haven't made the audio too quiet, because before I leveled it by increasing them both slightly until it was both audible, but I felt that that may have been too loud in hindsight, so tried it the other way and tried dropping the game audio instead - does this sound fine, or is it too far in the other direction?

There is some slight noise/hiss from your mic that you could remove fairly effortlessly in audacity/goldwave but it's not audible over any of the actual game audio so nothing to fret over. Sounds good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guys I get the feeling Daandrah may not be serious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

lohli posted:

There is some slight noise/hiss from your mic that you could remove fairly effortlessly in audacity/goldwave but it's not audible over any of the actual game audio so nothing to fret over. Sounds good.

Thanks, I'll try to fix that from episode 2 onwards, the original commentary file got lost so the only copy of the first episodes audio is prebaked.

bucketcapacity
Jan 20, 2011

Hey guys, in honor of the SNES classic, I made this classic youtube LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrHpjAIg6so

Can I sustain this for the next year and a half? Positive feedback ONLY please NO HATERS

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm taking my first crack at doing 3DS recording, and learning a new editing software as well. Here's what I have:

"Will it Cat?" Monster Hunter Generations: Prowler Mode

Click the cat for Newest Episode

Overview

Monster Hunter is an action RPG series by Capcom. It features ridiculous/huge weapons that you use to smash giant world-destroying monsters in the face, carve up their skin, and wear their skin as a hat so you can beat up even bigger and meaner world-destroying monsters. The main thing setting it apart from other hack-and-slash type games is that MonHun makes you commit to everything. There is no dodge cancelling. There are effectively no i-frames. Once you make an attack, you gotta finish that poo poo, son. Even something so simple as drinking a healing potion requires you to put away your weapon (in most cases), press a couple buttons, stop, quaff it down, and do an "Oh yeah!" flex animation. None of which can be skipped, and all of which can be interrupted by aforementioned world-destroying monster knocking you on your rear end.

It's great fun!

The Actual Game I'm Playing

Monster Hunter Generations is a side game of the 4th installment in the series. It features several new mechanical additions, most of which are not relevant to the scope of this LP.

One such addition, which is a series' first, is very relevant to this LP. In most Monster Hunter games, you can hunt with AI controlled companions. Usually, they're Felynes- intelligent cats that sprinkle their speech liberally with cat puns. In 4U and Generations, your Felyne hunting companions are called Palicoes, and you can customize them and forge gear for them just like your human Hunter.

In Generations, you can not only hunt with cats. You can be the cat.

See this cute little guy right here? You can kill monsters with him!

Generations introduced Prowler Mode, where you take control of your very own Felyne and hunt monsters. There are even Prowler-specific quests with objectives tailored to the Prowler's strengths and abilities. But the game does not restrict Prowler use in any way. You wanna be the cat? You can be the cat all you dang want.

In this LP, I will be doing the single player campaign of Monster Hunter Generations as a Prowler. I may rope in some friends to cat with me in multiplayer quests, but frankly those losers don't cat nearly as well as I do. :smug:

More about Prowlers

Let's face it, Prowler mode is a gimmick. It's a good gimmick, but it's clear the game doesn't take Prowlers very seriously at all. Prowler quests won't even make you fight a proper, large monster until you're Rank 4, and you don't have to actually kill one until Rank 6. Rank 6 is endgame poo poo. For comparison, regular human Hunter quests dump you right into killing large monsters almost from the word go. That said, there are reasons to use Prowlers, but even I won't deny they have drawbacks.

Pros
  • Don't need items. Prowlers don't need to carry around pickaxes, bug nets, potions, traps, or any of that silly human stuff. This frees up a lot of space in your inventory. Because of this, regardless of how good/bad you are at Prowler mode, Prowlers are ideal for gathering quests.

• They can gather/mine/carve faster than humans can, making them even better at such quests.

• They don't use stamina. Prowlers can run forever and don't need puny things like well-done steak to keep them going.

• Palico armor is very cheap to make. Monster Hunter is notorious for requiring you to farm for rare drops from monsters to craft your armor and weapons (and then not giving you what you want). Cat armor is crafted from generic "scraps," made from any monster part. So that pile of lizard scales you got while farming for its rare drop will do you just fine!

• No armor skills. Hate the fact that your fashionable armor has lousy skills? Worry not! Prowlers don't do any of that poo poo. Fashion Hunt all you dang want. The only thing you have to worry about is your defense, and even then... not really.

• Prowlers excel at support. They can learn skills that heal and buff their allies, cure statuses, and even give their companions infinite stamina for a short period! That's not to say they can't kick rear end on their own, but it takes some set up... More on that later.

• Cats can automatically see the location of any large monster(s) on the map. For that reason alone, it's worth it to hunt with at least one Prowler. They can save you a lot of time tracking down your quarry! Certain Palico builds can also tell you when a monster is weak enough to capture! (Sadly this functionality is not available to human-controlled Prowlers, but you can tell if a monster is sleeping or whatever.)

• Lastly, and most significantly, they have 9-lives. Oh pshaw, you say, of course they do. They're cats! No, no. That's not what I mean. When mere humans drop to 0 HP during a quest, they are "carted," dragged back to base camp by a helpful band of Felynes before the monster can finish them off. If you cart three times, it's game over, quest failed. (This also holds for multiplayer quests.) Prowlers work a bit differently. When they reach 0 HP, they eat a stashed acorn for a partial HP refill. They can do this twice before being carted for real. So, they quite literally have 9 lives. Oh, and your acorns are refilled if you sleep in the bed at base camp. This means, Prowlers are only really constrained by time on quests, if you hoof it (paw it?) back to base camp after losing an acorn.

• They're cute, and fun to play as!

Cons
  • You're a dang cat, what do you expect? If normal human Hunters are outmatched and outgunned by the vast majority of monsters, Prowlers are doubly so. They aren't as durable as their human counterparts and they don't hit as hard. Hunts will take you longer than average. You would think Prowlers would be relegated to support-bot role and... well you might be right. But we'll see, won't we!

• You're tiny. Prowlers have a tough time targeting specific monster bits to break/hack off/etc. But since you don't strictly need those parts to craft cat equipment, it's less of a big deal than you would think.

• Less variety. Prowler Mode essentially counts as a separate weapon. So, they only have one moveset while human Hunters can have over a dozen, based on what weapon they have equipped. Prowler weapons can have slightly different properties, such as being blunt or sharp, or being better at melee or ranged attacks, but it's nothing compared to the variety proper Hunters get.

• No armor skills. I know I also listed that in the pros, but it also is a drawback. Prowlers can have some of the same skills Hunters can get on their armor, but they're innate- determined when you recruit a Palico. This means Prowlers, and Palicoes in general, are heavily dependent on the blessings of the RNG. It can take ages to get the cat you want. I will go into Palico builds in more detail later. Just keep it in mind for now.

• They can't use items. See above, but it can also work against them. Your ability to heal/buff/set traps/etc. is determined by your innate skills. Didn't roll a cat that can set traps? Too bad! Try again.

To be honest, it can get preeeeeetty tedious trying for an ideal Palico/Prowler build. Fortunately you don't need to be ~*Optimal*~ for most things. I did the entire single player campaign and even a decent chunk of the post-game and multiplayer as a cat, and it was fine. The game doesn't really punish you for being a cat... up to a point. Yeah, you start getting into the really high rank or super ultra single player challenge stuff, you might want to try putting on your big girl pants and crafting yourself some proper armor and weapons. But you'd be surprised how long it takes before you get to that point!

And anyway, being a Prowler is just plain fun!

Viewer Pawticipation

We will eventually have at our disposal a stable of 60 brave and mighty Palicoes. I'll go into scouting for Palicoes in detail at a later date, but the gist of it is I will let you, my viewers, fill our roster with your crazy cat creations!

Note: OP reserves the right to make executive decisions so I end up with one or two actually decent Prowlers for my own sanity. Your motley army of furballs will be my fuzzy minions, accompanying me on quests!

Before we dive in, Thread Rules

1) Don't spoil poo poo! Not everybody watching this has played Monster Hunter (Probably?), so don't spoil monsters we haven't seen yet. If you just can't help gushing about your favorite monster, at least spoiler tag that poo poo.

2) Don't be a dick. This is a chill LP for chill people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWt-sBopjDQ

Sandcastle Notes: I'm told my transitions are a bit janky. I will work on that! Also my co-commenter echoes a bit. (My mic was picking him up.) I think I know how to prevent that from happening as well.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Just to note, I've been trying to watch various LPs hosted on Baldurdash, and it seems like it's about a 50/50 shot that any given video will straight-up refuse to load past 1:46 - even if I pull it past that, at best I'll get a still frame over the audio. Is that just me?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So, i decided to get off my rear end and try to start a LP of the Horror VN The Letter in time for Spooktober. I'm still working on the OP and need to find some good header images and work on the layout. The game is supposed to be pretty decent, and it's a relatively easy target for a first LP. In the mean time, please tell me how an update like this looks to you:
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=149165
(this is the planned 2nd update)

There's a lot of internal monologue in the game, but all other lines are tied to some kind of on-screen character. At first, i left the monologue in plain text and added comments in italics, but it was kinda cluttered, so i went with small 30x30 images to prefix them. All other lines are preceded by the character bust shown in-game.
They're kind of large, but that's about as small as i could get them without making the expressions unrecognizable, especially for people other than the POV character (not shown in this update).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pretty much perfect by my reckoning for a VN LP. Just gonna skip the QTEs?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I figure i'll show each QTE and what happens when you fail, not that most failures are really noteworthy. Maybe throw in a short video for them, too.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Add an extra line between the paragraphs for readability but otherwise :justpost:

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI for anyone doing SSLPs, if you haven't before then please read r1ch's image format guide or whatever modern equivalent. In particular please don't host GBs of png screenshots of a modern 3D game, it's a pain in the rear end to host and it's wasteful for everyone else's bandwidth too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Added some more line breaks to make it clearer i hope, and finally finished the OP. Thanks for the feedback.

Thread is live here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836712

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
Someone requested an LP of Blue Reflection, and I recently bought a copy of it. Is anyone interested in joining me in a blind LP of a game about magical girls and to my knowledge plays like Persona?

I don't mean this to be an interest check as I can't start anything without getting a co-commentator first. Also I intend to remain as "blind" as possible before doing anything if I would even LP this game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Might want to check the Co-commentation Station.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ShichiNoBushi posted:

Someone requested an LP of Blue Reflection, and I recently bought a copy of it. Is anyone interested in joining me in a blind LP of a game about magical girls and to my knowledge plays like Persona?

I don't mean this to be an interest check as I can't start anything without getting a co-commentator first. Also I intend to remain as "blind" as possible before doing anything if I would even LP this game.
I might be up for that, but I'm not blind, and I'm pretty harsh on it, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I guess add me on Steam if you want to talk about it? http://steamcommunity.com/id/unlocalizedstring/

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I might be up for that, but I'm not blind, and I'm pretty harsh on it, so I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I guess add me on Steam if you want to talk about it? http://steamcommunity.com/id/unlocalizedstring/

That might be alright. I myself would like to keep myself unfamiliar with it and keep it a fresh experience, but it would be nice to have someone present that has some level of familiarity and can tell me when I'm making a horrible decision. If there's an optimal 100% sequence of actions like there often is in Persona, I won't be aiming for it, but some advice would be appreciated.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010

senrath posted:

Might want to check the Co-commentation Station.

Already posted there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm preparing to start my thread - here's the first draft of my OP - any final suggestions before I post for real? (The audio noise pointed out is barely noticeable but I will try to fix it from video 2 - video 1 is a little stuck because I lost the raw audio for my commentary and only have the composite file and am worried the audacity de-noiser will break the audio I have.)

Let's Play: Toy Story 3!

Hello and welcome to my latest project, one that I recently 100%ed and found rather charming so decided I wanted to show off.

What is this game, and why have you chosen it?

This is, like most licensed games, a third person platformer. I know. Hold the presses, right? However, this game has a lot of variety that I like in the levels, whether it's events that actually happened to the characters, like the trials and tribulations of Sunnyside Daycare, or levels that take place entirely in the imaginations of children. There is a lot of effort involved in making sure most levels escalates nicely within themselves, with most of them having some sort of climax (whether that climax is traversing the back of an exploding train or performing a series of airdrops in a tight space).

Format of the LP:

I intend to get every card and collectible in story mode, and in turn every Gold Star in Toybox mode. Gold Stars are micro-achievements that count only within the game that you get for doing virtually everything in toybox mode which is fun.

Toybox mode is a large sandbox unlocked after the first story level, where you follow a series of side-stories in an open world environment for a variety of characters in the Toy Story canon. Happily it won't be as overwhelming as Lego City Undercover, as there are only 105 gold stars to get so a basic sweep of each area will be fine. The only things I won't guarantee are the unlockable clothes for the citizens/aliens in Toybox mode that you unlock through the vending machine in Al's Toy Barn, because they are not tied to any achievements or gold stars and therefore are just pointless, and due to the random nature of the machine making it hard to not accidentally waste coins on an empty capsule. Also there are way too many clothes to show off set by set, so during the toybox mode stuff any outfit pieces that the thread really wants to see will be shown off by quickly changing a guy into them at the start of that video.

With that, here are the videos. I hope you enjoy!

Videos:

Toy Story 3 Level 1 - Woody's Roundup!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, is Jordan not a mod anymore, or did the star disappear in the forum update??

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
He stepped down a while ago, if I remember right. Might have been at the same time as when he stopped doing lps for health reasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If no one has any further comments about my OP, I'll probably post it for real later today. I've got a thread title in mind.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, no news is generally good news. :justpost:

good luck!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone have tips for reading screenshot LPs? A lot of the time, all the pictures won't load now for whatever reason.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone have tips for reading screenshot LPs? A lot of the time, all the pictures won't load now for whatever reason.
Do you have things like script/content blockers blocking them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cheez posted:

Do you have things like script/content blockers blocking them

I've got uBlock Origin but I don't know if that'd affect pictures. :shrug:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm trying a different form of LP for 7.62 High Calibre, done in a sort of tabletop RPG style where I make the combat "turn-based" and goons control. I don't think I'm going to have any difficulty with putting together the gameplay posts, but would someone take a look at the method of play I created for it and let me know if anything stands out as making it unfun?

Edit: First thing I noticed to edit is that more than 11 people can sign up, but only the first 11 get the first dibs at a max party size. If we run through bodies fast enough, more slots open up.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I decided to make a test post for the introduction to the game. This shows some of the (relatively loose) narrative I'm working toward and an example of how the players get started on making choices outside of combat.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Use smaller screenshots and don't use [timg] for everything

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

biosterous posted:

Use smaller screenshots and don't use [timg] for everything

Do you have a recommendation for a good image uploader other than Imgur? I tried LPix but I'm limited to 9 images a day and it gave me an error every time I tried uploading so I gave up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
register your SA account through LPix so that the restrictions are removed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

register your SA account through LPix so that the restrictions are removed.

Thanks! I'll reupload through there.

Is there anything that looks off or undesirable apart from the pics?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've made a few different resizes to try and figure out what works best.

Here's 1536x864, or 80% scaling of the original image size:

Here's the original 1920x1080:

Is the 80% too small to be comfortably readable?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Images wider than 900px can't go on lparchive.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
What are you resizing in?

The text looks off, like it's not resampling stuff so you get an uneven squishing/distortion of letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Just crop the image so you only get that dialogue box if there's a lot of text that needs read.