Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Michael de Leeuw has been diagnosed with a torn ACL. There goes any tiny hope Chicago had in the playoffs. He was a really underrated but essential part of the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
DeLeeuw took a while to get rolling but he really is good. Accam needs to get his poo poo together asap.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

camoseven posted:

Everything I've seen just references the tweets that changed, but it seems like it's only a problem if the actually lineup sheet that they give the referees changed, right?

Well everyone knows tweets aren't offi-

Right, gently caress.

Yeah, only a problem if the lineup sheet changed.

I'm rooting for chaos. Go chaos!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Woops...

http://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/915295487368065026

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder if Cyle Larin went.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A photo from earlier that day shows

quote:

A photo posted to Morgan’s Instagram account showed a large group of players with their significant others and friends outside a restaurant at Epcot. The group included Morgan’s husband, Orlando City midfielder Servando Carrasco, and fellow Lions Dom Dwyer, Seb Hines, Donny Toia, Joe Bendik, Scott Sutter, Giles Barnes and Dillon Powers, among others.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alex Morgan would make OCSC a non-disaster.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This FC Dallas news...god drat.

If they fail to make the playoffs, this season is a complete disaster. Even moreso if something as braindead as subbing in an illegal player is what causes it.

Full :qq: mode rn

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Well you can quit your crying, because you guys only got fined.

Lame.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I dunno, I think it would be lamer to only qualify by getting gifted 2 points/a team you're chasing getting docked a point via some ticky-tack poo poo like that (then again I wasn't a fan of Celtic in 2014, maybe they were all like "didn't care, made the Champions League"?).

Dude played for the last five minutes of a 0-0 draw, it wasn't even the most consequential officiating screwup in that game. Rule of law is important but so is a sense of context. A salary cap penalty sounds about right to me.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I found the connection between all three of the wooden spoon contenders this year,

Marcelo Sarvas has played for each one.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Sarvas is the hottest trash. Like a poor man's Dejan Jakovic.

Marinate in that thought.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
The two MLS Cups he won with us were pretty cool tbh

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shhh. That's Fancy's trigger word.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
What do you guys think will happen now that the us won't be in the World Cup? There must be a correlation between mls attendance and profits and the USA being in the tournament right? I feel like more people give a poo poo in World Cup years, or immediately after.

The league is already in a really stretched position with the 200000 teams it wants to create; I would hope that some of this wild expansion stops in light of what just happened. The value of the league seems like it's ready to drop; I feel like the league as a whole and the national team are too tied up in each other's business.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Maybe looking at your league as a business venture first is the problem.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R. Mute posted:

I hope it dies and we get a normal league like any other country. I doubt the Costa Rican Super League or whatever the gently caress gets over-the-hill star players from Italy or England but they don't seem to have problems beating Trinidad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

What do you guys think will happen now that the us won't be in the World Cup? There must be a correlation between mls attendance and profits and the USA being in the tournament right? I feel like more people give a poo poo in World Cup years, or immediately after.
The league won't get the usual World Cup Year increase in attention. The other stuff probably won't be affected too much, but who knows since the US hasn't missed a World Cup since the league was created.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

The league is already in a really stretched position with the 200000 teams it wants to create; I would hope that some of this wild expansion stops in light of what just happened. The value of the league seems like it's ready to drop; I feel like the league as a whole and the national team are too tied up in each other's business.

I think the MLS is lucky that the TV rights aren't up for re-negotiation for a few years since its linked to the USMNT.

In regards to the league, I don't think there is a talent dilution. In the last few years the teams have honestly gotten much better than they we're in say 2018. Its pretty loving telling that other garbage CONCAF teams are doing fine with their MLS players, like half of Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica play in this dumb gay league and they just did what the US couldn't.

The fact is the US turned out a generation of lovely players from the late 80's and early 90's who weren't as good as guys like Dempsey & Donovan. Our youth teams played like poo poo and didn't qualify for things and while success at a youth level doesn't necessarily translate to success at the senior level, we had an entire generation of youth players wasted. Its pretty telling of the mid-20's guys on our roster only Yedlin actually made the jump to test Europe instead of staying around the MLS.

I guess for lack of better word MLS has sort of indirectly made the US worse, it gave us a way deeper pool of "okay" players, but it acts as a safety blanket so fewer guys make the leap to Europe to try to be true difference makers ala Dempsey or some of those older guys from the 2000's-2010's.

I think with the MLS academies and poo poo the current U-21 guys look a hell of alot more promising, its just frustrating they never got shots with the senior team because Klinsman and Arena were so intent on shoving washed out guys like Wondo, Zusi, Jones, etc. onto the roster, or if they did pick young guys alot of them flamed out like loving wasting a roster spot on Zardes.

We could have qualified if Arena wasn't retarded and actually rotated his squad and played with some defensive midfielders instead of having Bradley run around like a headless chicken behind 2 MLS wingers with and shielding our bad center backs.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

R. Mute posted:

Professional sport has to be considered that way almost by definition. If you can't afford to keep the teams going there is no league and that has historically been kind of difficult in this neck of the woods, so those of us who've been fans of domestic soccer for a while kind of develop this lens.

Gigi Galli posted:

Honestly you'd think there was a correlation there has generally never been a World Cup bump for MLS in recent memory. Maybe a general bump in interest in the sport but even that's iffy. Everyone expects an Olympics bump for like track and field and that never happens either. Americans like big events where they can cheer and wave the flag. Any translation from that to ongoing interest in the underlying sport has historically been so small as to be incidental.

tl;dr arguably it is a missed opportunity but I feel more for the players and fans than for the suits, the suits will be fine.

quote:

The league is already in a really stretched position with the 200000 teams it wants to create; I would hope that some of this wild expansion stops in light of what just happened. The value of the league seems like it's ready to drop;

I have never been a huge fan of this take mostly because the expansion teams are the ones that are doing well in the stands and boardrooms and (to a certain extent) on the field. It's the legacy teams that mostly seem stretched (as you put it), which may be the perspective you're approaching things from as a Revs fan.

Honestly the league will be fine business-wise if they keep picking owners that know what they're doing and cities that actually want a team and put butts in the seats, and all of that is for the moment trending up. TV less quickly but personally I always viewed that as a long term project, everyone you're competing with has had like decades worth of head start.

quote:

I feel like the league as a whole and the national team are too tied up in each other's business.

This part, OTOH, may actually be true, which is deeply ironic to me because the second-biggest reason that the US is out tonight is because of MLS players playing well for teams that aren't the US.

You guys used to dream about moving to a more competitive confederation and then it turned out you accidentally created one, and then both Klinsmann and Arena, along with most of your players, were too slow to realise this and it cost them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope it dies and we get a normal league like any other country. I doubt the Costa Rican Super League or whatever the gently caress gets over-the-hill star players from Italy or England but they don't seem to have problems beating Trinidad.

I feel like this is a dumb take because both guys who scored for Panama play in MLS, along with like half of all these CONCAF sides bar Mexico.

It's just the US hired an idiot for a coach and the US players themselves seem to not give a poo poo.

Like the US could have beat Trinidad, they should have loving beat Trinidad. Bruce could have at least ground out a draw if he actually rotated the loving squad, we would have been poo poo at the World Cup, but we probably would have made it if he didn't leave Bradley in front of a lovely back-line to run around like a headless chicken, because Bruce wanted to play 3 wingers in a 4-1-3-2.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I guess for lack of better word MLS has sort of indirectly made the US worse, it gave us a way deeper pool of "okay" players, but it acts as a safety blanket so fewer guys make the leap to Europe to try to be true difference makers ala Dempsey or some of those older guys from the 2000's-2010's.
Half of the 2002 team that made the Quarterfinals was playing in the 10-team MLS at the time, including a number of regulars. There were also a number of others who were playing in Europe, but had started their pro careers in the league.

The problem is more than just MLS talent level - it's kind of lazy to blame that. It's the labrynthine league structure, the hilarious clusterfuck that is lower-league soccer in the US, the 27 different competing academy structures, the fact that the USSF allows MLS teams to claim dibs on academy players who live 500 miles away, the complete inability to decide on a set of standards for anything and stick with it, some people clinging on to power for too long, and so on.

And that's not counting the fact that most of the USSF board is made of people with little to no history in the sport. One of the board members is loving Donna Shalala, the former Clinton admin official. She was caught sleeping during an actual meeting a couple of weeks ago where one of the minor league was making a presentation for how it wanted to operate next year.

I mean, we have people on USSF board who can't even be bothered to stay awake when they are conducting actual business.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MLS today is not MLS of 2002 ok and that's part of the problem. Playing on dirt pitches and not being seen on TV probably bred character in players back then.

This league has increasingly become pretend and make believe. It's NOT a good league. Even the best venues are just OK and that includes DC's very mediocre new stadium with small capacity. Very few of our best players could make it in the top 8-9 leagues. The league has been losing in the realm of TV and is more expensive to view online. The quality of play has simply not improved in the last 5 years. We've stagnated and on top of that the design of the league creates weakness and calls it a stength (parity). The fact that LA is last place right now isn't a strength. It shows that the design of the league is faulty and ownership groups incompetent.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

I have never been a huge fan of this take mostly because the expansion teams are the ones that are doing well in the stands and boardrooms and (to a certain extent) on the field. It's the legacy teams that mostly seem stretched (as you put it), which may be the perspective you're approaching things from as a Revs fan.

Honestly the league will be fine business-wise if they keep picking owners that know what they're doing and cities that actually want a team and put butts in the stands, and all of that is for the moment trending up. TV less quickly but personally I always viewed that as a long term project, everyone you're competing with has had like decades worth of head start.

Leagues can't be successful these days without raking in broadcast fees. As long as no one watches them on TV, they're minor league baseball. And at some point you're going to run out of suckers willing to pay $150 million for teams that generate minor league baseball revenues. That's when the ponzi scheme comes to an end.

The league will never make it as long as it's built around the owners all making money instead of teams actually competing with one another.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The MLS business model is a disgusting cash grab and the level of the play regresses every year they add an expansion team.

MLS should be a 12-16 team league at most.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

MLS today is not MLS of 2002 ok and that's part of the problem. Playing on dirt pitches and not being seen on TV probably bred character in players back then.
That wasn't the direct point I was trying to make. I was just saying that the existence of the league itself didn't make the players pool worse. You could definitely say that the way the league is run now doesn't help.

quote:

This league has increasingly become pretend and make believe. It's NOT a good league. Even the best venues are just OK and that includes DC's very mediocre new stadium with small capacity.
I can't remember: isn't one of Garber's unofficial official positions that new stadiums need to be artificially small in capacity to create the fake image that there's a lot of demand for ticket sales?

Shrapnig posted:

MLS should be a 12-16 team league at most.
Nah. It just needs to let teams build the way they want to, instead of having to run every decision through Central Planning to see if it complies with Roster Rule 314.5.3.6

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

That wasn't the direct point I was trying to make. I was just saying that the existence of the league itself didn't make the players pool worse. You could definitely say that the way the league is run now doesn't help.

I was agreeing and piling on

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I can't remember: isn't one of Garber's unofficial official positions that new stadiums need to be artificially small in capacity to create the fake image that there's a lot of demand for ticket sales?

Red Bull Arena is an absolutely fantastic stadium to watch a match in and it's always half empty.

10000 people is still a pretty good number for the caliber of play MLS produces.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Red Bull Arena is an absolutely fantastic stadium to watch a match in and it's always half empty.

10000 people is still a pretty good number for the caliber of play MLS produces.

It's in harrison, the ghetto and hard to get to. Also the quality of their play has been mediocre even in this bad league

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

How much of that is down to the fact that the league just about charges Premier League prices for tickets? Yeah maybe it's fun but I'm not dropping $40+ to sit in the lower tier to see the New York Red Bulls unless I really do have some extra cash to burn.

poo poo I got tickets to sit in the lower deck of Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox for about the same price a few years ago.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Honestly you'd think there was a correlation there has generally never been a World Cup bump for MLS in recent memory. Maybe a general bump in interest in the sport but even that's iffy. Everyone expects an Olympics bump for like track and field and that never happens either. Americans like big events where they can cheer and wave the flag. Any translation from that to ongoing interest in the underlying sport has historically been so small as to be incidental.

Yeah, I think it was a bigger deal when pretty much the entirety of American sports fans were all "wait, professional soccer in the US exists?". At this point most people's minds have been set on whether they care about MLS or not.

As for player development, the real problem is with helping the kids develop proper ball skills. But yeah, the Adu/Altidore/etc generation sure let us down, didn't they. :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Moktaro posted:

As for player development, the real problem is with helping the kids develop proper ball skills. But yeah, the Adu/Altidore/etc generation sure let us down, didn't they. :smith:
It sure didn't help Adu that his first manager was - as it turned out - an absolute loving nutcase.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

10000 is 40% of the capacity for Red Bull Arena.

And yes, the prices are too high. You could pay $60 for tickets in the first 10 rows or just walk down there a half hour into the game with your $15 ticket.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
What about Sunil Gulati getting so many large television contracts for FIFA, it's like no one even cares about that today

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No one cares about the TV if the product is poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

What about Sunil Gulati getting so many large television contracts for FIFA, it's like no one even cares about that today
He's been able to get large TV contracts in part because FIFA has insisted that packages for international football in the United States include the airing of Major League Soccer games, and bidding for World Cup rights isn't really something that the networks do with the USSF as an intermediary IIRC

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Leagues can't be successful these days without raking in broadcast fees. As long as no one watches them on TV, they're minor league baseball. And at some point you're going to run out of suckers willing to pay $150 million for teams that generate minor league baseball revenues. That's when the ponzi scheme comes to an end.

The league will never make it as long as it's built around the owners all making money instead of teams actually competing with one another.

Reminder that the most popular and orthodox (well, barring occasional financial shenanigans for teams to avoid relegation) soccer league in the US draws NHL-level TV audiences (and the NHL endlessly wrings its hands over its US TV ratings and relies on Rogers massively overpaying for broadcast in Canada). I've never understood how anyone thinks this is a structure problem and not an "Americans largely prefer other sports" problem.

The US will have a good league when the broader class of Americans actually like the sport enough to sustain the professional and development infrastructures it needs in more than the twenty-odd MLS cities and a few standouts in the lower leagues, regardless of how harshly that future professional infrastructure decides to punish the Galaxy for having a bad year. The problem with encouraging economic competition in the US soccer landscape, leaving entirely aside the question of cultural preferences for parity is - how much demand even currently exists to compete over?

Making more Americans like the sport locally requires, among other things, actually keeping the goddamn lights on and maintaining a certain level of visibility until it becomes part of the landscape. The Soccer Wars last century and then the NASL failing both set the sport back decades here, even if you don't blame it for FIFA pushing a professional league on a country that barely wanted one at the time just because the USSF wanted to host the Cup, which then of course turned out to be MLS.

In that respect one could say missing the WC is a problem for visibility, but honestly we have no way of telling, the last time you missed the WC was the last time Canada loving qualified so my sympathy is really rather limited here - up here the sport itself is still visible and everyone's just gotten used to repping wherever their family's from when the tournament comes around, and even that's contributed to it growing, and to kids sticking with it and actually thinking they can make a living pursuing it (thanks in no small part to MLS existing and surviving, just like there will be thanks due for the CPL if it sticks, because frankly not everyone will ever be good enough to play in Europe even once youth teams can actually afford BOTH to pay decent coaches AND not price themselves out of reach for everyone but gentrifiers).

And no shortage of growing pains. You get used to them. Or maybe I just have PTSD.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 11, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's both a structural and an 'Americans prefer other sports' problem. You can't passively wait for this young, non-white tide to suddenly crash onto the scene and make soccer popular. People prefer international soccer because the players are good and quality of play is high. MLS has literally not gotten better in over 5 years. It's the same quality on the pitch and for huge stretches arguably worse. The Western Conference for example is a complete dumpster fire and worse than the MLS of over a decade ago, easily. How can this be explained? Parity is praised when in fact it is the supreme indicator of institutional failure. Why is the superdraft a joke now? Why are academies a fart in the wind? etc. etc. etc. etc.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reminder that the most popular and orthodox (well, barring occasional financial shenanigans for teams to avoid relegation) soccer league in the US draws NHL-level TV audiences (and the NHL endlessly wrings its hands over its US TV ratings and relies on Rogers massively overpaying for broadcast in Canada). I've never understood how anyone thinks this is a structure problem and not an "Americans largely prefer other sports" problem.

The NHL has a TV deal worth close to $650 million a year. MLS has one worth $75 million.

It's not about Americans preferring other sports, it's American's prefer not to watch the 12th best soccer league in the world.

Dallan Invictus posted:

The US will have a good league when the broader class of Americans actually like the sport enough to sustain the professional and development infrastructures it needs in more than the twenty-odd MLS cities and a few standouts in the lower leagues, regardless of how harshly that future professional infrastructure decides to punish the Galaxy for having a bad year. The problem with encouraging economic competition in the US soccer landscape, leaving entirely aside the question of cultural preferences for parity is - how much demand even currently exists to compete over?

The US will have a good league when it has good players. And that happens when owners are actually trying to beat other owners instead of everyone making just enough money to sucker in a billionaire for $150 million expansion fee under the guise that as long as we stay the course the 12th best soccer league in the world will magically become popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nirwad he was, in a convoluted manner, speaking about international soccer leagues (the Premiere League) and how even that is probably lower than NHL viewership. Or maybe he meant MLS? I don't know, I am pretty sure when you combine canadian and US viewership MLS is smoked by NHL so it wouldn't make sense

• Locked thread