Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Magic is dumb. Let's science it up instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Let's go to the clubhouse," you say. "We must have something that will work." You leave your bikes at the mall. Sid can't ride with his hands locked together. Luckily, your clubhouse is only a few blocks away. You made it last summer out of the toolshed behind Sid's house.

The three of you sneak into the toolshed. Sid is handcuffed, and Joanie is hiding a stolen Magic Book in her backpack. You figure you're better off without any grown-ups around.

"Okay," you say. "Let's get to work setting Sid free. On second thought," you tease, "maybe we should keep him a prisoner a while longer."

"We can play cops and robbers," Joanie suggests. "We already know who the robber is!"

"That won't be any fun," you joke. "He's already caught!"

"Come on, guys, quit kidding around!" Sid whines. "These handcuffs are getting tighter! Really!"

You glance down at Sid's wrists. You realize he's right. The cuffs are starting to dig into his skin. They weren't doing that when he first put them on. Could they be magic handcuffs?

quote:

If those handcuffs have a spell on them, you'd better pry them off quickly. Who knows what could happen!

You gather up some tools and get to work. You insert needlenose pliers into the links of the handcuffs. You squeeze the handle as hard as you can. They don't budge.

"How about if we smash the lock?" Joanie says. She hands you a hammer. Sid eyes it nervously.

"Careful with that," he cautions you.

"Just don't move," you instruct. "Pull your hands as far apart as you can."

Sid does what you tell him. You see a bead of sweat trickle down Sid's forehead. Then he closed his eyes. You take aim and bring the hammer down as hard as you can.

SMASH!

Did it work?

quote:

"Oh well," Joanie sighs. "I thought it was a good idea."

The handcuffs are still on Sid's wrists.

Sid stands up to search for other tools. He trips over a box. He falls to the floor - and the handcuffs snap free!

"Do you believe it?" he says, holding out his arms.

"The cuffs must open automatically if you fall," you reply. "Let's get back to the mall so we can return the handcuffs and the book."

"And get our bikes," Joanie adds.

You, Sid, and Joanie hurry back to the mall. You are just about to enter through the main doors when you hear a voice behind you. "Well, look who's here. The nerd patrol."

It's Larry Green. Larry Green is the school bully. This year he has chosen you as his latest victim.

"Go away, Larry," you say. You try to sound cool. "We don't want any trouble."

Buddy and D.J., Larry's only two friends, step out from behind some parked cars.

"We're collecting for charity," Larry tells you.

"Yeah," D.J. sneers. "Each of you gives us a donation."

"Only if you can spell donation," you joke. This makes D.J. mad. He grabs Joanie's backpack.

Oh, no! The Magic Book is in there!

quote:

"Oops," D.J. says, dumping Joanie's stuff out of her backpack. The Magic Book falls to the ground.

"You'd better put everything back!" Joanie yells.

"Sure," Buddy replies sarcastically. Then he grabs one of her notebooks and boots it into the air like a football. D.J. spots the gold-covered Magic Book on the ground. He leans down and picks it up.

"Give that back!" you yell. You try to snatch the book out of D.J.'s hand.

"Want it?" D.J. taunts. "Catch." He throws the book to Larry. The book sails over your head.

"What's this?" Larry asks as he catches it.

Larry may be the dumbest person in school, but even Larry can tell this book is special.

"I'll just take this book with me," Larry says. "If you want it back, it will cost you $50." D.J. and Buddy start laughing.

Without thinking, you run at Larry. You slam into him. The impact knocks you both to the ground. The book flies out of Larry's hand onto the pavement. You grab for it, stretching out your fingers as far as they can reach. You've got it!

Then D.J.'s big foot comes down on your hand.

quote:

"Hey, what's going on over there?" It's the voice of Mr. Pool, the owner of the nearby yogurt store. D.J. lifts his foot off your hand.

"You're dead," Larry grumbles, picking himself up. "We're out of here," he tells D.J. and Buddy. "Bring the book."

D.J. yanks the book from your hand. Several pages of the book tear out. You watch them flutter to the ground.

The three bullies strut away with the Magic Book.

"Let them have the stupid book," Sid says.

"Are you all right?" Mr. Pool calls.

"Fine, thanks." You stand up and wave at him, and Mr. Pool goes back into the store.

You gather up the four pages that are scattered on the ground in front of you.

"What do you think this..." You stop speaking and quickly read through the first paragraph. Silently.

Oh, no! This is terrible! You gaze over at Joanie and swallow hard.

"What's wrong?" Joanie cries. "You look like you're going to be sick."

quote:

You have no choice. You have to tell her.

"It's not good," you warn Joanie. Your voice trembles as you read the terrible words aloud: "The person who takes this book will have one hour to return it or disappear from this world completely."

The three of you stare at each other in silence.

"I'm going to disappear?" Joanie asks finally.

"Don't worry," you tell Joanie. "You're not going to disappear. It's just a stupid prank."

Joanie runs her hand nervously through her hair. You watch her eyes widen in terror. She lets out a piercing shriek.

"It's true," she cries. "I am going to disappear."

She holds her hand in front of your face. Her fingertips are gone!

"We'll get the book back, Joanie," you promise. "We just need a plan."

You figure you have two options. You could try to raise the $50 and buy the book back from Larry. Or you could follow Larry and try to steal back the book.

Which should you do?

If you want to steal back the book, turn to PAGE 75.

If you want to
buy back the book, go to PAGE 14.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
:siren:Magic Book Pages:siren:

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My parents always told me to stand up to bullies so let's get to thieving

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Stealing the book is the obvious choice, but I want to see what kind of idiotic idea we come up with to raise the money. Buy back the book.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

CaptainCaveman posted:

Stealing the book is the obvious choice, but I want to see what kind of idiotic idea we come up with to raise the money. Buy back the book.

this

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This book actually owns and has a great kids' adventure plot so far. Buy the book.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You don't think you'll be able to steal back the Magic Book. Larry must have hidden it somewhere by now. Your only choice is to buy it from him. But you have a problem.

"How are we going to raise $50?" Sid asks.

That's a tough one.

You look over at Joanie, thinking hard. If you don't get the book back, Joanie will disappear in an hour.

You shiver with fear. But you can't let the fear clog your brain. You've gotten out of tougher situations before.

"I know," Joanie pipes up. "You can sell some of your CDs. You've got a million of them. And all the music you listen to stinks."

You stare at Joanie as if she were crazy.

"I've got a better idea," you tell her. "Why don't you sell your collection of Barbie doll designer clothes? Why does she need five coats? Are you afraid she'll get cold?"

"Shut up!"

"No, you shut up!"

Luckily, Sid interrupts you. "I've got an idea!" he shouts over your argument.

quote:

"Let's steal something from Larry," Sid suggests. "Something that he would be willing to trade for the Magic Book."

"That's an awesome idea," you tell Sid.

"But what are we going to take from Larry?" asks Joanie. "And how are we going to get it without anyone knowing?"

"Don't worry," you reassure Joanie. "I know exactly what we can do." You glance around the mall parking lot to be sure no one can hear you. You drop your voice down to a low whisper. "You know that pet rat Larry likes to carry around in his pocket?"

"Do I? Ugh," Sid says.

"Well, we're going to steal it. When it's not with him, he keeps it in a cage in his room."

"What are we waiting for?" Joanie cries, already hurrying toward the bikes. "Let's go!"

quote:

You, Sid, and Joanie have no trouble finding Larry's house. He lives in a white house with gray trim. The grass in front of the house is neatly cut and two barrels of bright red geraniums guard the steps to the front porch.

"Are you sure Larry lives here?" Sid jokes. "This looks like a place where normal people live."

Sid's right, everything looks normal. But you can't help wondering why you have such butterflies in your stomach.

You walk up the steps to the front door - then hesitate. Relax, you tell yourself. Your plan is going to work. You knock on the front door. You can hear footsteps inside.

"Just a minute," yells the person in the house. From inside comes a slow scraping sound as if someone were dragging something across a wooden floor. Again - silence.

Click! Click! Snap! Click. Swish, click.

"What's making that noise?" Joanie asks.

If you wait around to find out, turn to PAGE 61.

If you think entering Larry's house is a dangerous idea, go to PAGE 9.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Stick around. This probably is our best shot.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Did we get railroaded there to the same path as if we'd chosen to steal? Wait to find out what the sound is.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

CaptainCaveman posted:

Did we get railroaded there to the same path as if we'd chosen to steal?

You'd think so, but choosing to steal it has you going after the book itself, not the rat.

quote:

You move closer to the door and listen.

"It's just the sound of the locks on the door being opened," you whisper.

"That's a lot of locks," Sid says. "Why so many?"

Before you can answer, the door opens a crack. A watery blue eye stares out at you. The door swings open wider. An orange-haired old woman steps out. She wears blue socks with high-top sneakers. She has a yellow apron over her flower-print dress.

"Hello," she says in a raspy voice. She gazes at Joanie. "What a cute little girl," she comments, patting Joanie's curls. Joanie gives the old woman one of her big smiles. The one where she shows off her dimples and flutters her eyelashes.

"What can I do for you children?" the old woman asks.

"We're friends of Larry's," you speak up. "He sent us to get Pat the Rat. He has to take Pat to the vet."

The woman's eyes squint into tiny pea holes. Her mouth pinches together tightly.

What's going on? The woman's face wrinkles up as if it is about to explode.

quote:

"Aaa-chew!"

The old woman sneezes. She pulls a handkerchief from her pocket and blows her nose loudly.

"My allergies," she explains. "Come in quickly or I'll be sneezing all over the three of you."

You, Sid, and Joanie follow the woman into the house.

"I'm Larry's grandmother," the woman tells you. "Granny Kapusta."

"Larry insisted we bring Pat right away," Sid says.

"That sounds like my Larry." Granny Kapusta laughs. "Always in a hurry." She pushes the three of you down a hallway. Hard!

She's a lot stronger than she looks, you think.

"Come with me," she orders. "Little Patty has been keeping me company in the kitchen. I'm making spaghetti and kidney meatballs for dinner."

Kidney meatballs? Gross. That must be what that weird smell is.

Granny Kapusta gives you another hard shove. So hard you stumble to the floor.

quote:

Granny's rough treatment is starting to annoy you.

"Let me help you there," Granny Kapusta says in her crackly voice. As she yanks you to your feet, you spot something on the floor. It looks like a tooth.

Granny Kapusta pushes you in front of her. That creepy feeling is back. You glance at Granny. She has stopped to pull shut a window curtain and doesn't notice you are watching her.

You don't believe it! Her blue eyes - they turned yellow! It was just for a second, but you know what you saw. That's it, you think. We've got to get out of this house before it's too late.

But how?

Your eyes dart around the hallway searching for some escape route. There's an open door up ahead. It might be your only chance to get out of here alive.

Do you want to escape by going through the door? Go to PAGE 33.

If you want to go into the kitchen to grab Pat the Rat, go to PAGE 89.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 5, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Go through the door.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

No, we have to get the rat first.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think I read this one as a kid. GTFO

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Grab the rat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

We came here with a goal and we are going to accomplish it, supernatural granny or not. Get the rat!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You are being ridiculous. Her eyes couldn't have changed color. It must have been some trick of the light. You head into the kitchen.

The weird smell is strongest in here. Granny Kapusta shuffles over to the stove and takes the cover off a big pot. She picks up a large wooden spoon and stirs the boiling mixture. Then she glances over her shoulder and winks at you.

"How about a glass of milk before you leave?" she asks. "Maybe a few cookies."

"Sure," Sid answers quickly. That figures! Sid is always hungry.

While Granny Kapusta gets the milk and cookies, you look around the kitchen for Pat the Rat. You hear the metal bars of a cage being rattled. The sound is coming from under the kitchen table.

Kneeling down, you reach under the table. You grab the cage and pull it toward you.

You can't believe what you see!

quote:

Pat the Rat has doubled in size since you last saw him!

What has Larry been feeding him? you wonder.

You stare at the huge gray-and-white creature, now about the size of a loaf of bread. His long hairless tail switches back and forth.

"I see you found little Patty-cake," Granny Kapusta says, standing over you with a glass of milk.

You stand up, holding onto Pat's cage with one hand and taking the glass of milk with the other. Joanie and Sid are already sitting down at the kitchen table. Plates of cookies and half-empty glasses of milk sit in front of them.

"Come on, guys," you say, "I've got Pat. We should be going."

"Drink your milk," Granny says. "Have some cookies."

You take a sip of milk to be polite. "Come on, Joanie, get up," you say. But Joanie doesn't move. Neither does Sid. They stare blankly ahead.

That's when you notice your legs are beginning to go numb.

quote:

You cannot move a muscle. You are frozen stiff. Granny Kapusta pries the glass of milk from your hand. You watch her but you can't do anything. You can't even blink your eyes.

The milk. There must have been something in the milk!

Granny Kapusta hurries to the cabinet and takes out a big pot. The pot matches the one already boiling on the stove. Next, she puts water, salt, and pepper in the pot. She hums as she cooks.

"I was all out of kidneys," she explains, "when the three of you showed up at my door. Now I have six fresh ones."

You listen in horror. This time when she said kidneys - you realized she was saying "kids' knees."

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
:siren:Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Use a spell to remove the cuffs.
  • Steal back the book.
  • Run away from the house.
  • Run for the door.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well that was certainly a thing that happened :stare:

This time, let us run for the door instead of looking for the rat.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Fly, my pretties!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Yeah, nope, we gettin' outta that house.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

...no, no, she meant kidneys. And now she has six fresh ones.

Forget the rat (e: page 33 version) and lose the brat - win-win!

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 2, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, I DID read this one as a kid, I remember that ending!

GTFO

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Run for the door.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Man, this book throws dark

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Man, this book throws dark

I mean kids getiing eaten by a witch is like, every fairy tale.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

That door looks like your only chance to escape.

There's no time to explain to Sid and Joanie what you're doing. You grab their hands and begin to run. You push them through the open door. Then you slam it behind you. You slide the bolt shut. Joanie and Sid stare at you as if you were crazy.

You put your finger to your lips, listening at the door. Horrible growling sounds start coming from the other side.

"Come out of there!" Granny bellows. Then claws scrape against the door.

"Granny doesn't sound so friendly anymore," Sid says nervously.

You feel around in the dark and find a light switch. A single lightbulb flashes on. You are at the top of cement steps leading into a cellar. You glance around the damp room. You're in luck! You notice a small window, high up near the ceiling. And it's open!

"We can get out that way," you tell Sid and Joanie, "but we need something to climb on."

"There, on the other side of the cellar," Sid points out. "Those dry pet food bags."

You and Sid cross to the stack of bags. Then you notice what's written on them. Wild Wolf Chow.

quote:

"Hey, Sid," you say. "Do you think Granny has a pet wolf?"

"Let's just hurry up and get out of here," Sid replies. He reaches for a sack. "These weigh a ton," he says, staggering under the weight. "Tell Joanie to give us a hand."

But Joanie is nowhere in sight.

"I'll look for her," Sid offers. He makes his way through the junk in the cellar. But after a few minutes, you don't hear him poking around anymore.

"Si-id," you call. No answer. Where is everyone? "If this is a joke," you yell, "it's not funny!"

You look at the stack of bags in front of you. The big black letters on the side of the bag stare up at you.

It can't be, you tell yourself. It can't be!

The bag doesn't say Wild Wolf Chow. It says Werewolf Chow.

Werewolf! A chill runs down your spine. "Sid! Joanie!" you shriek.

Then you see Granny Kapusta climbing in through the open window. Her face and arms and legs are covered with dark hair. Two fanglike teeth hang out of her mouth. She snarls at you.

You have a terrible feeling you know why Sid and Joanie disappeared. And what's about to happen to you!

THE END

SURPRISE! IT'S MORE MOTHERFUCKING WEREWOLVES!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.
:siren:Eaten by an elderly werewolf.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Steal back the book.
  • Run away from the house.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Run away from the house. We don't need any more werewolves.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah the house is bad news. Run from house.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

She's a witch and a werewolf. What part of that sounds like you should go through with this plan?

RUN.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

A quote from the original Ghost Stories dub, though concerning other supernatural phenomena, seems appropriate right now:

"Run! She's a ghost and a bitch!"

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Not more werewolves D:

I ran so far away

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
This is arguably more standard werewolf-related content than the werewolf book had.

Run!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love how our two deaths so far have nothing to do with the actual evil magic book plot. There's just a witchwolf living in our hometown.

Book it and by that I mean run

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Let's get out of here!" you tell Joanie and Sid. You grab their arms and pull them away from Larry's front door.

The three of you hide behind a tall row of hedges.

"So what are we going to do now?" Sid demands.

"I don't know. I'm thinking," you reply.

"You're the one who got us into this mess," Sid declares.

"Me?" you cry.

"Yeah, you. If you hadn't brought your little sister to the mall with us, then..."

You and Sid argue and argue.

Suddenly you realize that Joanie has been quiet for a long time. Too long.

You turn to stare at your sister.

Oh, no! Time has run out!

While you and Sid were arguing, Joanie has been disappearing and disappearing and disappearing. And now you can't see her at all.

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Magic Book Pages

Bad Endings
Drank drugged milk and had our knees used as cooking ingredients.
Eaten by an elderly werewolf.
:siren:Argued with Sid for the entire one-hour time limit.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Steal back the book.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
An entire branch of nothing but bad ends. This book really isn't loving around.

Let's just cut out the middleman and steal the drat book

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

It's magic time! Zap those cuffs!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

How is that a bad end, again?

Let's steal the book.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Steal the book.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, something I'm liking about this book is that while the protagonist has complained about their sister being annoying, they clearly care for them. The consequence for failure is "Joanie disappears", not "Joanie disappears so you'll be grounded for a million years!". It feels like an actual healthy sibling relationship, where you love each other as much as you hate each other.

Steal the book.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

And to be fair, Joanie is way way less annoying than some of the other siblings we've had to deal with so far in these books.

Take the darn book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Denny would threaten to show mum his disappearing fingers and blame you for it and she'd believe him because parents never believe protagonist kids in kids stories. (Which is quite a problematic trope, actually.) Joanie so far has enough sense to not be a defiant little poo poo towards her only chances of survival.

Let's steal the book and pretend that it's for the purposes of throwing at Denny's head. I am still not over that little arsehole.