Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ElMaligno posted:

looked at some guns with some nerd in this thread. the shop did not have an m1 garand but boy did they have en enfield

Which shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We went to Krauswerk. Enfield, K98s, Arisaka, couple Mosins, tons of Lugers, and a Mauser C96 with the stock. No price tag on that last one though. :sigh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

tastefully arranged labia posted:

We went to Krauswerk. Enfield, K98s, Arisaka, couple Mosins, tons of Lugers, and a Mauser C96 with the stock. No price tag on that last one though. :sigh:

Oh good. Was the old man still around?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh good. Was the old man still around?

Yes we had a very pleasant conversation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Yes we had a very pleasant conversation

Great. I doubt he remembers me it's been at least 3 years. He's an amazing font of knowledge and a peerless craftsmen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Got me somma dat mountain goat poo poo today.

On approach to Peacock pool.

Peacock pool.

Waterfall overlooking Peacock pool.

Behind the waterfall, DSLR.

Behind the waterfall, phone. The water looks different between both devices.

Chasm lake.

Overlooking Chasm lake from the side and higher up.

MARMOT

Afterwards I was so hungry that I ate at Arby's.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I wonder what marmot tastes like...

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

I wonder what marmot tastes like...

Aren't they huge squirrels? Don't eat the head.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Rat posted:

MARMOT

Afterwards I was so hungry that I ate at Arby's.

THERE IS NO GUN

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCC8ugCAw

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

THERE IS NO GUN

Yeah the wildlife typically aren't very cooperative models, let alone when I whip Waldo out.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

It's been a day and I'm still thinking about that lee-enfield.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

It's been a day and I'm still thinking about that lee-enfield.

So go back and buy it, it's under $400 which seems fair for the condition it was in.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I feel conflicted

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallout: New Vegas 2 looking good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Gotta buy an AR before prices jump

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Okay, so for some reason lately people have been packing some serious fuckin' artillery at the local indoor gun range and I'm looking for better hearing protection.

I've got these : https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...07072767&sr=8-1

And they are pretty aces until people start pounding out .308 at a 25 metre indoor range. I like the whole electronic thing so you can hear people talking, and being able to fit both a very large and small head would be a plus (as I'd probably also get a set for my wife).

Any suggestions?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

not caring here posted:

Okay, so for some reason lately people have been packing some serious fuckin' artillery at the local indoor gun range and I'm looking for better hearing protection.

And they are pretty aces until people start pounding out .308 at a 25 metre indoor range. I like the whole electronic thing so you can hear people talking, and being able to fit both a very large and small head would be a plus (as I'd probably also get a set for my wife).

Any suggestions?

Double up

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

not caring here posted:

Any suggestions?

I shoot .308 at the indoor 25 yard range and Howard Leight Impact Pros work great :v:

They're bulkier than the sports but they also have the electronic passthrough and give pretty much the best protection I've seen from headphones. You could always wear earplugs under your headphones too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

double hearing protection

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I thought that was the whole point of sound amplifying electronic muffs? To be able to hear conversation when you double up foamies underneath?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Sordins are apparently meant to be all kinds of awesome and a big improvement over Howard Leights.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

.308 at a 25 metre indoor range

lol what

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, should probably mention that tbi woes have this weird pressure thing going on with one of my ears and, well, plugs just aren't an option.

Those Howard leights look good but I'm open to other suggestions too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I've been to a place that allows .50s in their 50ft indoor range

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

It's like 5 blocks from my apartment ok?? I have to drive an hour and a half to my parents' place if I want to shoot outdoors. Also I got a year long pass for $100.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Sordins with the gel cups are godly.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Any specific sordins or they just a good product?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Sordins with the gel cups are godly.

Oh god yes, it's like having titties against your ear. I can wear Sordins all day with no discomfort. The battery life is great (I change batteries once a year at most), and the switching and auto shutoff means they won't get turned on by accident in your range bag and then they're dead the next time you go to the range (looking at you, Peltor Tac6S.) I've been wearing them at the range and at matches for maybe 6 years now and can't imagine going back to a lesser product. It's one of those things that you'll kick yourself for not buying earlier.

You can find them used on classifieds like on ar15.com for $150ish if you keep an eye out. As far as I know, the only difference between Sordin models is the waterproofing level and (in mil version cases) the type of comm hookups.

That said, I'd still double up if I were at an indoor range with people shooting rifles. I do almost all of my shooting outdoors, and most of the reason for that is shooting indoors sucks in terms of noise.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

my kinda ape posted:

It's like 5 blocks from my apartment ok?? I have to drive an hour and a half to my parents' place if I want to shoot outdoors. Also I got a year long pass for $100.

whats the point

just buy a .22

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

The Rat posted:

shooting indoors sucks in terms of noise.
A million times this. There are two indoor ranges within sneezing distance of my apartment, but I'd rather drive the hour and change just so that I can go fart around outside instead.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Same. I'd way rather go out to the grasslands, even if I have to pack out all my stuff over 500m of walking distance. Less noise and I don't have to deal with range trash chuclefucks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Here's the noise reduction specs of the Impact Pros vs the Sordin Supreme Pros. I think rifles peak at ~1500hz?

I'm a huge loving baby about loud noises hurting my ears and the Impact Pros seem perfectly adequate without doubling up even indoors. Although I suppose it's possible I'm somehow not noticing it not being enough. I've never had ringing in my ears or anything after shooting.

The downside is they're relatively huge compared to most earmuffs.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Just now I learned that the white stripe on a skunk's back is visible even though nods.

:suicide:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Rat posted:

Just now I learned that the white stripe on a skunk's back is visible even though nods.

:suicide:

Before or after being sprayed?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

After. Dog was barking, went outside and got a whiff and was like "oh no."

Let me tell you, there's nothing like a skunk at 2AM to make you go OH poo poo

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So out of curiosity, who would be against adding semi automatic rifles to the NFA?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
That's retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Because it's annoying or because it doesn't go far enough? If you really want one, you can still get one, it just takes $200, paperwork, and waiting.

Litterally planning ahead vs instant gratification for American gun owners.

I bring it up because while I'd be fine with a blanket ban on anything semi automatic made after 1950 (more to see ANY real progress, even though I want them myself) everyone I know resorted to whataboutism and 'don't blame the gun' so I managed to get general agreement that buying magazine fed rifles sameday in walmart is unnecessary.