Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Karnak, what his powers may or may not be, and the show's inability to convey them, was a major point of criticism for Sepinwall

Huh, okay, well it still looked computers on folding table cheap

Left out is that the number most people throw around is viewership in the "key demographic" of 18-49. So in the case of Inhumans it got a .9 in the key demo, but overall viewership was closer to four million.

Inhumans got a .9? That's pretty good for Friday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Mexicoke or water, everyday! Accept no substitutes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With the switch to HFCS, the taste differance between pepsi and coke became really noticable. Modern Pepsi tastes like rear end, while coke tastes almost the same. Why I was so pumped when Pepsi Throwback came back with real cane sugar.

Somewhat related

Everyone who I've talked to who's watched inhumans basically says the same thing "why does it look so bad? Why is the best actor the cgi dog? Why should I care about anyone?".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given the only part of the movie he's remembered for, I don't think I wanna drink from a can with Luthor on it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
RC cola is the soda of kings

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

zoux posted:

Inhumans got a .9? That's pretty good for Friday night.

The numbers that matter for a new series are what they get on the second and third episode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

With the switch to HFCS, the taste differance between pepsi and coke became really noticable. Modern Pepsi tastes like rear end, while coke tastes almost the same. Why I was so pumped when Pepsi Throwback came back with real cane sugar.

Somewhat related

Everyone who I've talked to who's watched inhumans basically says the same thing "why does it look so bad? Why is the best actor the cgi dog? Why should I care about anyone?".

Dr. Pepper isn't a cola.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
The Gifted was pretty drat good, a lot better than Inhumans.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's not really a high bar, but honestly it barely gets over because of the family it chooses to focus on is just not very good. I didn't like any of them at all. The Mutant Resistance team was good and I'd much rather it be about them and to kill off the entire family.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ooh, and maybe Blink could find a way to teleport to alternate realities. Like, a different one each week, one where the Cold War turned hot, one where systemic sexism favours women... They could even rebrand the show, call it something pithy, like Exiles or Sliders! :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Please stop casting Amy Acker.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The family is definitely the weak point but I'm hoping the show hits its stride with the rest of the mutants and that they all fit together better at some point.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Highlight of Gifted thus far is the one dude's ring tone being the theme from X-Men: The Animated Series.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Heh, I didn't even notice that.

I thought the pilot was pretty good, though some of the pacing got fairly sloppy later in the episode. It felt like they were running in that garage for ten friggin' minutes straight (yeah I know it was more like three or four. But hey. That's what pacing does to ya).

I didn't actually dislike the Strucker family drama that much. I kinda dug how intentionally generic and white-suburbia-esque their whole schtick was, so to wholly contrast with the sci-fi adventure-dystopia narrative they would eventually fall into.

It's actually pretty lucky for the show to debut so immediately after Inhumans 'cuz like...I don't know about anyone else, but I just couldn't help but think "Hey, this is doing this thing better than the Inhumans did" during so much of this episode :xd: with Inhumans being still so fresh in my mind. If Inhumans hadn't debuted four days ago, I actually don't know if this would come across as competently as it did.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My issue with the family side of things was that the mother had seemingly no character or purpose for existing. I thought her role was going to be more empathetic toward mutants, creating tension between her and the dad, but the dad immediately flipped his tune so there was basically nothing there. Both kids also seemed to get along perfectly fine as well and there was basically no tension between them or their parents at all either. But considering their normal life is completely over now, next episode is basically going to set a new status quo so none of that really matters going forward.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

My main problem with the family is that I didn't like any of the actors. So that kind of kills that whole angle for me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

My main problem with the family is that I didn't like any of the actors. So that kind of kills that whole angle for me.

Yeah I would say that all four of them felt "off" to me. It's going to be tough since the preview made it seem like the son is going to be a key figure moving forward, but hopefully the writing and direction of the family improves and they become more compelling. They just really came off as very flat and bland compared to the mutant group.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked that the kids got along so well. That was a thing about which I had a very specific "oh thank God" reaction. I would've hated it there had been a scene of them going "Eww, you're soooo laaaame you dork!" or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It got a 1.3, which is fine but doesn't leave it a lot of room to shed viewers. Combo that with the fact that Fox has at least one failed genre show per season, well I'm gonna wait to see if it gets renewed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I liked that the kids got along so well. That was a thing about which I had a very specific "oh thank God" reaction. I would've hated it there had been a scene of them going "Eww, you're soooo laaaame you dork!" or something.

Yeah I liked that a lot. She only hesitates in the car because she's concerned about the bullying situation, not because she doesn't want to take him.

TV seems to only be able to do siblings who hate each other, or situations where one is basically a surrogate parent for the other.

And the dad flipping immediately. Not even a moment of hesitation.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The dad immediately turning makes sense to me only because he knows his kids aren't about to get a "fair" trial (and I use that term loosely because it's an X-Men universe) and instead are about to get straight disappeared.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

It got a 1.3, which is fine but doesn't leave it a lot of room to shed viewers. Combo that with the fact that Fox has at least one failed genre show per season, well I'm gonna wait to see if it gets renewed.

I'm seeing 1.5.

Last year Lucifer pulled a 1.3 in that slot, and got as low as .8 but that was good enough for renewal. Gotham premiered at 1.6 then wobbled between that and 1.2 the rest of the season. This season both of those shows are down, Gotham significantly.

So Fox's Monday expectations aren't too high, as long as it doesn't suddenly lose half its viewers (or cost way more than those two) it should be okay

Blockhouse posted:

The dad immediately turning makes sense to me only because he knows his kids aren't about to get a "fair" trial (and I use that term loosely because it's an X-Men universe) and instead are about to get straight disappeared.

We only really had the one scene of him on the job, so we don't know how hardcore he was either. We don't know if he joined voluntarily or that's what he was assigned, or if he was genuinely trying to help Lorna or that's his move, etc.

When Heroes did theirs there was like half a season of seeing Claire's dad as the ruthless agent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah all other things being equal, about a 1.0 is going to get you renewed in the modern TV era. I knew that it did better than Lucifer, I probably just remembered that show's demo number instead. I'm hopeful that it's both enduring and good but I've been burned before, and you don't have Disney mandating that you run the show in spite of ratings. If it holds its numbers for a couple of weeks I might jump in, its just nothing I hate more than getting into a show and having to go through the whole will-it-won't-it-get-cancelled rigmarole and then it does.

BTW where did Fox put Lucifer this year

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't mind the kids getting along so much as the fact that the kids had 0 development as well. We know nothing about he son other than he was being bullied for some reason. We know nothing about the daughter at all. Just like we know nothing about the mother. All we knew about the dad was that he prosecutes mutants, but even that was minimal. Combing the complete lack of development with the lack of tension within the family itself just kind of made it weirdly flat, but thankfully the show blew through all of that somewhat quickly.

I guess I just hope that if the two kids are going to be main characters, we get some actual motivations and development for them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah all other things being equal, about a 1.0 is going to get you renewed in the modern TV era. I knew that it did better than Lucifer, I probably just remembered that show's demo number instead. I'm hopeful that it's both enduring and good but I've been burned before, and you don't have Disney mandating that you run the show in spite of ratings. If it holds its numbers for a couple of weeks I might jump in, its just nothing I hate more than getting into a show and having to go through the whole will-it-won't-it-get-cancelled rigmarole and then it does.

BTW where did Fox put Lucifer this year

8-9pm Monday, right before Gifted.

(So that means it gained viewers from the lead-in.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

8-9pm Monday, right before Gifted.

(So that means it gained viewers from the lead-in.)

Hmmm not bad

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Lucifer is one of those shows that benefits from the streaming era because it makes the studio money from distribution deals. I know it's on Amazon here in the UK and is used as a promo tool for Prime.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If Fox doesn't leverage Gifted for streaming revenue when they own the X rights then loving WOW.

Well I guess we probably know the answer already. Did they ever push Legion for streaming after it aired?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ToastyPotato posted:

If Fox doesn't leverage Gifted for streaming revenue when they own the X rights then loving WOW.

Well I guess we probably know the answer already. Did they ever push Legion for streaming after it aired?

Presumably, Gifted will be streaming on Hulu the next day.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Klungar posted:

Presumably, Gifted will be streaming on Hulu the next day.

Sure, but does Fox even advertise their Hulu partnership?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hulu does. I don't think any of the Hulu partners advertise for it, I think they let Hulu market Hulu. They'd still rather you watch live.

Also Legion was up on Hulu the next day like anything else, though it was gone after the finale pretty quick. I was so sure that Hulu wouldn't get it I went ahead and bought the season on Amazon without checking...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Funny, I actually preferred the family dynamics more than the mutant underground thing. It made sense for the dad to turn because he probably knows about the illegal poo poo that goes on when mutants are involved and doesn't want that happening to his kids (and we already saw the poo poo starting with the "Sentinel agency" or whatever they called themselves). As far as the underground thing, I liked Blink but I just fear that the entire underground will be 3 good looking mutants running around a lot. Sure we got to see some background interesting looking guys but that was pretty much it, and probably won't see more than that.
It wasn't a bad intro episode and I am interested to see where it goes. I agree that the actors playing the parents weren't particularly good in this episode (actually none of the actors were outside of the kids) but I am hoping for some sweet sweet pandering cameos in future episodes and that is enough to keep me hopeful for now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Fox owns a portion of Hulu so generally Fox Network shows are up next day and FX/FXX shows are added a couple weeks before new seasons.

However, Fox doesn't give too much care to Hulu numbers because in the world of upfronts, that means dickall. Advertisers only care about first run live because those are the only numbers that include unskippable commercials. Fox has tried to help massage those numbers by introducing the concept of Live+3 and Live+7 (3 and 7 days respectively) as a means to point to advertisers and say "see, people are watching the show, give us money and I'm sure they'll convert to a true live audience" but live is still king.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

King of a crumbling kingdom because aren't live numbers generally falling across the board? Fox would be wise to get more people on to the Hulu train if its share allows it to profit off of it. Fox's live numbers aren't going to magically double or triple, but Hulu can still easily grow.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Network executives are more averse to change than extremely nervous chihuahuas.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

RevKrule posted:

Fox has tried to help massage those numbers by introducing the concept of Live+3 and Live+7 (3 and 7 days respectively) as a means to point to advertisers and say "see, people are watching the show, give us money and I'm sure they'll convert to a true live audience" but live is still king.

Live+3 and +7 are standard industry numbers that network executives give a fair amount of weight to these days. One of the stated reasons ABC didn't mind moving Agents of Shield's time slot around was because of its strong time shifted viewership, its audience doubles when you include people who dvr it (and probably they wanted to kill it too). And some networks, like FX, even go a step further and look at Live+30 and beyond.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RevKrule posted:

Fox owns a portion of Hulu so generally Fox Network shows are up next day and FX/FXX shows are added a couple weeks before new seasons.

However, Fox doesn't give too much care to Hulu numbers because in the world of upfronts, that means dickall. Advertisers only care about first run live because those are the only numbers that include unskippable commercials. Fox has tried to help massage those numbers by introducing the concept of Live+3 and Live+7 (3 and 7 days respectively) as a means to point to advertisers and say "see, people are watching the show, give us money and I'm sure they'll convert to a true live audience" but live is still king.

I love this because I never watch live TV anymore, so I never see live commercials. Literally the only place I see commercials anymore is when I'm watching Hulu at the gym or somewhere, in which case I don't have a choice but to watch the commercial, and yet they still end up showing me the same car commercial 5 times per episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I love this because I never watch live TV anymore, so I never see live commercials. Literally the only place I see commercials anymore is when I'm watching Hulu at the gym or somewhere, in which case I don't have a choice but to watch the commercial, and yet they still end up showing me the same car commercial 5 times per episode.

It's interesting because there's a whole generation growing up who watch almost exclusively streaming who never see ads on TV and aren't conditioned to tolerate breaks in programming every 15 or so minutes. They can't stand ads. Combine that with the growing skepticism about on-line advertising, pivoting to video and the proliferation of ad blockers, and I think the marketing industry is due for a massive crisis in the next 10 years or so. I've always suspected, without data to back it up, that a lot of marketing is selling the idea that advertising works more than it does to companies so IM GLAD OF IT.

Danny's gonna be in Luke Cage s2

e: oh yeah the Punisher panel got pulled from NYCC because of the LV shooting.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 5, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I fear that the consequences of all this is going to be a staggering amount of blatant product placement in shows. Even more blatant than it already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

zoux posted:

It's interesting because there's a whole generation growing up who watch almost exclusively streaming who never see ads on TV and aren't conditioned to tolerate breaks in programming every 15 or so minutes. They can't stand ads. Combine that with the growing skepticism about on-line advertising, pivoting to video and the proliferation of ad blockers, and I think the marketing industry is due for a massive crisis in the next 10 years or so. I've always suspected, without data to back it up, that a lot of marketing is selling the idea that advertising works more than it does to companies so IM GLAD OF IT.

Danny's gonna be in Luke Cage s2

e: oh yeah the Punisher panel got pulled from NYCC because of the LV shooting.

The sooner the ad industry collapses the better, I've hated commercials for over 20 years!