Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'd be surprised if most of the people bitching actually regretted buying the game. I certainly don't. The jank was plain to see on twitch, anyway.

It's disappointing they're so slow to capitalize their success into improvements of the game, but the game is still fun as it is. If it stalls and fizzles out I still got to play it while it was popular, and if improves and builds from here, I got in early (ish).

E: The other aspect is that the early access badness is part of the fun. Your motorcycle suddenly flew in the air and exploded? There were 99 other people; you weren't going to win anyway. Have a laugh and enjoy your new gif.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

To all the people suggesting throwing money at this game will solve the issues, just lol.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I mean typically you use the money to hire coders/testers/animators etc. Buy yeah, it doesn't help if the code base is a mess and nobody's used to managing a larger team, and results don't happen immediately.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given all the money they got from this game, it's time to hire some people and rip subsystem after subsystem out and do it properly.

Like DayZ? See you in 5 years.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

underage at the vape shop posted:

Thats literally why vaulting is taking so long, they came up with the idea after they made the map. Instead of surfaces being tagged as vaultable, they are making a system that dynamically scans the geometry around you and decides if its vaultable/how your character should vault it. Testing takes time.

E: poo poo doesn't just magically get better because you suddenly had a lot of money come in. Game development is slow, you can't just snap your fingers to assemble a team, snap again to make them magically fix the game. It takes time.

It would have been so much easier to just announce that the current map is beta only and build their next map with all these features in mind.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I definitely don't regret buying the game. I've had a lot of fun playing it and I'm pretty sure at this point I've sold enough crates that the game paid for itself anyways.

Between that and early access I'm willing to cut them a lot of slack.

That said their rate of visible progress on some longstanding issues is getting concerning. Here's hoping that means they're just quietly working on a lot of things, but I'd definitely prefer more open discussion.

Rex-Goliath posted:

It would have been so much easier to just announce that the current map is beta only and build their next map with all these features in mind.
I think this would be a great idea if they had a half dozen or so new maps, but for now while they have one released and two more at some stage of development I don't think they can stand to lose one just yet.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Modus Pwnens posted:

I mean typically you use the money to hire coders/testers/animators etc. Buy yeah, it doesn't help if the code base is a mess and nobody's used to managing a larger team, and results don't happen immediately.

"You can't make a baby in one month with nine women"

Presumably a lot of the stuff they're working on is just going to take time and we have to accept that. Keep in mind that CS:GO took, what, two years after release until it was finally good?

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
What you guys miss is this. Don't loot houses, loot bodies. Thats why you drop Pochinki or military.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
There's only one type of building worth looting, and it's this:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

slap me and kiss me posted:

There's only one type of building worth looting, and it's this:

That's a pretty cool picture.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
who the hell is throwing those drat tires all over the place

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yes in biology that's true. Anyone applying that "logic" to programming is an idiot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Yes in biology that's true. Anyone applying that "logic" to programming is an idiot.

Yeah the software version is "adding human resources to a late software project makes it later"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks%27s_law

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

odiv posted:

These:

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/578080/GAMESCOM%20INVITATIONAL%20CRATE

You could use your BP to buy them during Gamescom, then you could pay $2 or whatever to get a key to open them.

With $150k you could corner the market.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm not a finance guy, but I don't think that's remotely the case?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

I should probably quit my job managing software projects then. I had no idea

wolrah posted:

I think this would be a great idea if they had a half dozen or so new maps, but for now while they have one released and two more at some stage of development I don't think they can stand to lose one just yet.

Now this on the other hand is something that could definitely be parallelized and with what little we've heard they may actually be doing. Who knows.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of their effort and concentration at the moment is on the server backend. Going from zero to 1.5 million concurrent players in the matter of months has probably been nothing but headaches for them.

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 3, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Someone in the subreddit made an offhand comment about the Unity store-bought assets in the game. Is that true? If that's the case, have they said anything about planning on replacing everything with their own stuff at some point?

I ask mostly because I haven't really hard much of anything regarding that from people, and usually games using store bought assents get a ton of (I feel deserved) flack that this game hasn't been getting (that I've seen anyway, I'm pretty new to following this game). I mean sure it's Early Access but the game has been around for a bit now

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's not unity, and personally I don't give a poo poo about premade assets

dunno why anyone would

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Because they prefer their game assets locally grown and artistically handcrafted by true artists using only the finest of vertices and shaders.

Anything else is a sure sign of a greedy developer laughing all the way to the bank as they extend early access targets forever.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

mashed_penguin posted:

Because they prefer their game assets locally grown and artistically handcrafted by true artists using only the finest of vertices and shaders.

Anything else is a sure sign of a greedy developer laughing all the way to the bank as they extend early access targets forever.

Yes, I would generally prefer that the game assets were made with a cohesive style and designed with the gameplay of that game in mind, and I probably don't need every molar modeled on my shootmans characters.

E: Look, PUBG is a huge success for good reason, and it's an incredibly ambitious effort from a small developer (who suddenly got way more money and exposure than anyone could have expected). But come on, of course store-bought assets are going to look and play like a hodge-podge of store-bought assets.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 3, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

mashed_penguin posted:

I mean yeah? Well made nice looking art assets are a good thing

The game selling gangbusters shows that I guess that people mostly don't care that the game is so ugly but I feel people should care a little bit

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Rex-Goliath posted:

Presumably a lot of the stuff they're working on is just going to take time and we have to accept that. Keep in mind that CS:GO took, what, two years after release until it was finally good?

With $100,000,000 you can buy the best women in the world.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Macaluso posted:

The game selling gangbusters shows that I guess that people mostly don't care that the game is so ugly but I feel people should care a little bit

In 5 years or so, someone will come out with a nice looking version. In the meantime, I'll continue to get my rear end kicked with what is available at this moment.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean the player models and stuff are fairly horribly optimised so there is that.

Also got killed by this guy just now: https://pubg.me/player/wukok/squad

Was so fun.

Surely, surely these hackers should get picked up within like 3 games. If you get like 20 kills per game 5 games in a row either you're the best player in the world or you're a cheating fuckstick. Shouldn't be hard to find and ban them.

Also just found this guy: https://pubg.me/player/tangtou

Seems legit.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 3, 2017

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Their next map will probably be pretty telling in terms of quality going forward. They don't have the limited resources excuse any more.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

Someone in the subreddit made an offhand comment about the Unity store-bought assets in the game. Is that true? If that's the case, have they said anything about planning on replacing everything with their own stuff at some point?

UE4 assets and yes. There are links on reddit to the exact assets. Mylta Powerplant for example is supposed to be used as an entire map for a game and there is a disclaimer on all the buildings saying they need to be significantly scaled down/reduced polygons or whatever to use in an actual game.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I mean, it's still the most fun game I've played in the last 15 years. Why do I care if they used Unity store-bought assets? Using off the shelf parts/components is a good idea in pretty much every engineering discipline.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

fletcher posted:

I mean, it's still the most fun game I've played in the last 15 years. Why do I care if they used Unity store-bought assets? Using off the shelf parts/components is a good idea in pretty much every engineering discipline.

It's a video game though, not fixing a coffee table

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finally won my first solo queued Squad game. It took a lot of ratty play but fog really is the great equalizer when you're outnumbered

Managed to knock out several members of the last three squads, creating total confusion until it was an easy 1v2 left

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jerkface posted:

UE4 assets and yes. There are links on reddit to the exact assets. Mylta Powerplant for example is supposed to be used as an entire map for a game and there is a disclaimer on all the buildings saying they need to be significantly scaled down/reduced polygons or whatever to use in an actual game.

The intro when you open the game mentions Simplygon, a tool for automatically reducing the complexity of models, so presumably they did actually scale the asset down.

If they didn't then the Simplygon license was a waste of money :v:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

WhatEvil posted:

Also just found this guy: https://pubg.me/player/tangtou

Seems legit.

lol

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

60 kills in one match? Get good, shitters.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
i don't care about prefab poo poo on maps. Can one of you build a new map and put it in the asset store

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

How hard can it be to ban people who are this blatant.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
plus i think i they were optimistically looking at 100k in sales in the first year, not literally the fastest selling game of all time. would make sense to start with store assets.

doesn't matter either way though, a game just has to be fun.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zo posted:

plus i think i they were optimistically looking at 100k in sales in the first year, not literally the fastest selling game of all time. would make sense to start with store assets.

doesn't matter either way though, a game just has to be fun.

There was an article a while back where PU said he'd bet that the game would sell a million copies when he talked to the CEO of Bluehole. Of course, no time limit was attached to that statement.

Edit: As far as that valuation goes, it's probably too optimistic given Bluehole's controversial past. Also, I can't help but wonder if we're going to hit market saturation soon and sales will slow.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 4, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rex-Goliath posted:

I should probably quit my job managing software projects then. I had no idea

Work at Bluehole by chance?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Edit: As far as that valuation goes, it's probably too optimistic given Bluehole's controversial past. Also, I can't help but wonder if we're going to hit market saturation soon and sales will slow.

and then they'll finally start banning the cheaters and team killers

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Bohemian Nights posted:

How hard can it be to ban people who are this blatant.
it's a brand new steam account with only pubg. the guy probably gets banned regularly and just buys new accounts every time.

there's not much you can do to stop that. like when i used to bot diablo 3, my accounts would get banned every week like clockwork, but i just bought more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Over 12 million in sales. Let's push for servers defaulting to NA after a match ends by Q2 2018.

• Locked thread