Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

I remember this being my first time seeing full nudity on TV, huddled around a 13" set at 12:40 in the morning. It, uh... doesn't hold up. Being a Full Moon picture, you'd expect great gore and puppet work, but it's surprisingly light on both. The makeup is atrocious as well, with party-store level wigs on half the cast. Works best on a juvenile brain. Once you've been around the exploitation bend though it all comes up as a rather short tease now instead. I want it to succeed every time but it never does. Linnea Quigley as another punk girl, Brinke Stevens getting spanked, moody lighting and demons running around as The Bride of Frankenstein. Still it disappoints. Frustratingly disappoints.

It's weird in that it's a hard R with not much to really warrant it other than some explicit nudity and cursing, the violence is generally offscreen or obscured, but no adult could enjoy this.

Movies Watched:Midnight Meat Train, IT, Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Saw 7, Phantasm, Demons, Rockula, House of the Devil, 31, Deathrow Gameshow, Nine Miles Down, The Carrier, Halloween (1978), Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sarchasm posted:

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline are both on Netflix, and I think Paranorman tends to come and go. Now, admittedly, these are movies that I would show a child twice his age, but none of them are as intense as Army of Darkness.

Coraline is way scarier than Army of Darkness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sarchasm posted:

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Coraline are both on Netflix, and I think Paranorman tends to come and go. Now, admittedly, these are movies that I would show a child twice his age, but none of them are as intense as Army of Darkness.

We've watched all of those multiple times.

:ohdear: Am...Am I bad dad?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

We've watched all of those multiple times.

:ohdear: Am...Am I bad dad?

The world is much more hosed up than anything in Army of Darkness or Nightmare Before Christmas, just by keeping the kid away from the news you're being a good dad.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Lurdiak posted:

Coraline is way scarier than Army of Darkness.

I didn't say it was less scary, I said it was less intense. They're both cartoons, but Army of Darkness has more realistic depictions of violence.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Turner Classic Movies is showing a bunch of Universal Horror stuff tonight if anyone else here hasn't seen them yet

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Turner Classic Movies is showing a bunch of Universal Horror stuff tonight if anyone else here hasn't seen them yet
Dracula, Dracula's Daughter, and Son of Dracula are on-demand/streaming along with Nosferatu and Eraserhead.

8. Gerald's Game B
Flanagan once again makes the most out of what sounds like a small premise that isn't visually interesting. I'll watch Flanagan's haunted house stories until he stops making them. There are fun winks to many King books and ridiculous bullshit like many King books.

9. Cult of Chucky C
Much like Curse of Chucky, this is good until it's smothered in 20 years of continuity. Chucky in a mental institution is a fun premise but I want a finale or reboot. The endless Mancini-canon keeps dragging down enjoyable movies.

9/31 movies 7/31 years

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
2. Don't Kill It (2016)

Dolph Lundgren plays a demon hunter after one that drives its victims into a murderous rage plagues a small town. Oh, and if you kill it it possesses you and the killings continue. I was disappointed because at first this looked to be an over-the-top splatterfest that slowed down way too much and left me disappointed with the lack of bloody deaths. But at least Lundgren's character was entertaining to watch.

:spooky::spooky: .5 / 5

3. Bye Bye Man (2017)

Wow, finally I get a good one. It's about a supernatural being whose name you don't speak and don't think otherwise it will haunt you and everyone you mention it's name towards. Has some really great spooky scares, sets up the being's actions towards its victims well (lots of hallucinations and manipulation) and overall I highly recommend this one if you are looking for recent horror.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

4. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

Time for some retro horror. I got a boxset of Hammer Horror films a long time ago and decided to finally give another one a watch and picked this one because I saw The Mummy and Horror of Dracula way back when and felt I should take in a new Hammer monster. Yes, this one is a sequel to their Frankenstein series but even then I was able to enjoy Peter Cushing playing a magnificent mad scientist who drive towards science makes him commit the unspeakable in Victorian England with all the Hammer sets and tone you'd expect.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: .5 / 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
#7 2016 From the Dark Amazon Prime , a fun Irish independent survival vampire horror movie. This film is reallly great with what it has to work with. I am not spoiling anything because in the first 3 minutes unless you are really dumb you figure out a Vampire is involved. The cool thing about this is that it's a literal Old School Vampire in Beast Mode which is great. Sexy Vampires are boring.

Really great monster movie , well acted, great premise that I won't spoil totally

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

Years :

2017 , 2016, 1993 , 1992 , 1988, 1986, 1989

24 years to go

Any suggestions for 1987? So I can go ahead and get the 80s out of the way? ( Amazon Prime , Shudder , Youtube) I'd rather not watch Evil Dead 2 or Hellraiser I've seen them like way to many times.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Any suggestions for 1987? So I can go ahead and get the 80s out of the way? ( Amazon Prime , Shudder , Youtube) I'd rather not watch Evil Dead 2 or Hellraiser I've seen them like way to many times.

I'd probably go Prince of Darkness, but I know a lot of people in the horror thread would probably argue for Street Trash, which I think is on Prime. Also Soavi's Stagefright is an option, that's on Shudder I think.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Hollismason posted:

House 2 is on Shudder.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would but I just watched it like not more than 3 months ago. I'm going with Street Trash

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't actually seen it myself so don't blame me!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have seen it but I think the last time I watched it was maybe on VHS?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The world is much more hosed up than anything in Army of Darkness or Nightmare Before Christmas, just by keeping the kid away from the news you're being a good dad.

That and you could be showing your kid football players getting brain damaged and crippled or movies with action heroes gunning down people. Horror gets a bad rap but the stuff you're showing is purely fantastical and as long as the kid isn't having nightmares or getting weirdly obsessed you're probably doing better than some other dads.

But I quasi suggested you show your kid Return of the Living Dead so don't listen to me.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Coraline...none of them are as intense as Army of Darkness.

You're high. Coraline is nightmare fuel. AoD is a stooges skit with skeletons.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Apparently Street Trash isn't available to stream on Amazon for me.

Okay then Slaughterhouse it is a film I don't think I've seen

Huh, apparently this is a passion project of sorts.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 4, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
5. Don't Breathe

Here's a movie with a premise that you wouldn't expect to be creepy. Three thieves break into the house of a blind veteran, which they think will be an extremely easy task; the man's house is in an area of Detroit where he's the only resident for literal miles.

Once they get inside, they discover there's something horrible hidden inside. Something that might not make their easy job worth it, something that could get them all killed...

Don't Breathe is extremely tense. The vet is blind, which means his other senses have heightened, so watching these people try to creep around and avoid him bring on those moments where you're holding your breath like the characters are. You occasionally get the feeling that he knows right where they are and is just loving around with them, letting their fear become their own worst enemy.

And then, they get into the basement. Down there, the vet is keeping a pregnant woman hostage. Why? She accidentally killed his daughter in an accident and he wants a replacement.

That's the scariest part of the movie. It's such a blood chilling moment, because it sounds exactly like one of those news stories that you could easily hear about, an event so hosed up and beyond the pale that's it's simultaneously unbelievable and entirely too compelling.

I'd highly recommend the movie, as it's very well done, easy to get in to, and is horror, but not the type that has to rely on supernatural terror or tons of jump scares to get under your skin.

4/5 Turkey Basters

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
How do you go from directing a movie as cool as Sugar Hill and producing Damnation Alley to......producing all Police Academy movies, the 90s Police Academy series, and an upcoming Police Academy reboot.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

22. Frankenstein Created Woman - At some point in my life, and I am really not sure how, I developed a sense that once you'd seen the original entries in each of the main Universal monster lines all subsequent Dracula/Frankenstein/Mummy/etc. movies up until like 1980 would basically be boring retreads and there was no reason to watch them. I don't think this is quite the stupidest belief I have ever developed, but it would be a clear winner for an ordinary person and it's definitely top three even for me. The good news is it means I still get to watch basically the entire Hammer catalogue for the first time.

This follows the common core of a Baron Frankenstein bringing someone back from the dead, and there's a clear thematic match to lots of other bits from the original story, but all the details of implementation are totally different. Peter Cushing is great, of course, especially in the final scene. Thorley Walters has an excellent perpetually-worried expression which seems like a natural consequence of hanging out with Frankenstein. Don't make my mistake. Watch Hammer movies. Watch this movie.

And with that, I have now seen all of the official staff picks. Someone came in late with The Vineyard and Remote Control, though, so I'll have to get to those at some point too. I was going to do some sort of recap at this point, like pick out the poster who had the best pair of staff picks, but it turns out that's impossible because out of 36 movies there are maybe ten I don't love. Good job everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
#8 1987 Slaughterhouse This actually was not bad at all. Like for a passion project by the director writer the film is actually pretty decently made. My complain would be that it is way to drat long even at it's current run time it still needed to be shaved off by like 12 minutes. While it does star complete nobodies the actors don't seem to phone it in. It's also interesting because the film explicitly makes the two protagonists anti heroes which is a interesting take on the slasher genre

Warning It has graphic scenes of pigs being slaughtered in the beginning of the film set to crazy insane music

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

So

1986, 1987 , 1988, 1989 , 1992, 1993, 2016 , 2017

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Jumping into the thread a few days late, but have been on a horror binge for about a week now.

Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/SeveralGoblins/

Got a list going for my watches there. I'll throw down some reviews when I get a chance. I'm excited to do this again - last year was the first year I've made it to 31 movies in October. Gonna try to top that this year. :drac:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

6. Demons (1985)

Welp. I don't typically like giallo, and this is pretty good reminder why.

It's a ninety minute Hits of the Eighties music video with no script and the kills are sometimes gross but never scary. It has lots of pretty colors, though. Two pumpkins out of five for some effective imagery, but I wanted more.

:spooky::spooky:

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

12. The Church-1989: 8/10 (Shudder)

Seen this a few times now and I still can't get over how dull the first hour or so is. Great score but man do I lose interest quickly into it. Luckily it eventually picks up and gets to be pretty entertaining. The score does own though.

13. The Beast Must Die-1974: 6/10 (Shudder)

Disappointing considering this is a '70s Amicus werewolf movie, what it amounts to is pretty much a British murder mystery that drags a lot. At least we get some Peter Cushing along the way.

14. Deep Blue Sea-1999: 8/10 (Netflix)

Fun as hell killer shark movie, I'm pretty much gonna like anything with Thomas Jane though.

15. Cooties-2014: 9/10 (Shudder)

A bunch of jerk-rear end kids start killing everyone and we get to see some funny people try to survive, it's pretty great actually.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
2. TCM: The Beginning
3. Halloween (2007)
4. Friday the 13th (2009)
5. Hollywood Ghost Stories (1986)
6. Halloween 2 (2009)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
8. Scream 4
9. Texas Chainsaw 3D
10. Mother!

I do want to preface this, I think this is a commendably brave film. However, one that is best seen knowing as little as possible going in.

I completely understand why people would hate this film. I don't think that people are being put off by it's weird, literally dreamlike logic to it's proceedings, or the kinda allegorical storytelling, or it's slow pacing. I think it's because it's a film gets loving dark for reasons that are hard to understand. It's a literal nightmare depicting this woman's literal worst nightmare. And the reasons why is kept shrouded in, again, literal dream logic. This film captured the feelings, the experience, the helplessness of my nightmares. And I more than respect it, I think it may be the best film I've seen all year. But, and I say this completely without any irony or humor, this film practically requires Trigger Warnings.

I could talk about a lot about the high minded, incredibly specific decisions that went into the film. The specific use of clothing, where Jennifer Laurence's character wore plain clothing that, for the most part, matched the walls of the house; the interlopers universally wore dark, yet simple, outfits; Javier Bardem wore more texture clothing that neither matched either of them. And as the film went on Laurence would wear more darker clothing, representing the encroaching infection on her abode and peace of mind, while Javier wore the same outfit for the most part and remained separate, yet intimately close, to both his wife and the guests. Or maybe I could talk about the deliberate use of medical iconography, such as the bright, sterile look of the house in it's health, or the old timely medicine she drank to keep her love strong, or the decaying heart as her love dwindled. Or even deconstruct the atypical structure of the house to represent an unworldly place (specifically the Tower of Babylon). Or the deliberate Adam and Eve, Cain and Able, or Jesus parallels that drive the film. But it's all minutia compared to what I think is the most interesting facet, the fact that this is a deeply personal film. It's completely Aronofsky's picture, and it represents something deeply personal to him. It may be a treatise on his belief in the role god has with mankind, it may be an apologetic letter about how fame can corrupt a family, it may be a reflection on the abusive relationship man has with woman, it may be a lot more than that, more than we'll ever know because we don't really know Aronofsky. And I find it a fascinating little puzzle box that practically begs reinspection and reinterpretation.

This is a film that had a lot of talent, craft, and bravery (and perhaps a bit of stupidity) that went into making it. And I find it incredibly commendable and respectable that it was released, and with such visual polish. It may have an odd, perhaps reviled reputation now, but I know that as time passes that it's going to be a staple of Classic Arthouse Cinema.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Some brief thoughts on Sugar Hill:

https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/10/2017-october-horror-challenge-iii-sugar-hill/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

6. Demons (1985)

Welp. I don't typically like giallo, and this is pretty good reminder why.

It's a ninety minute Hits of the Eighties music video with no script and the kills are sometimes gross but never scary. It has lots of pretty colors, though. Two pumpkins out of five for some effective imagery, but I wanted more.

:spooky::spooky:

In no way is Demons a giallo, it's just Italian Evil Dead 2.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

10. Mother!

I do want to preface this, I think this is a commendably brave film. However, one that is best seen knowing as little as possible going in.

This is a film that had a lot of talent, craft, and bravery (and perhaps a bit of stupidity) that went into making it. And I find it incredibly commendable and respectable that it was released, and with such visual polish. It may have an odd, perhaps reviled reputation now, but I know that as time passes that it's going to be a staple of Classic Arthouse Cinema.

I didn't even pick up on the costume designs or the medical allusions you mentioned! It's a movie that I keep thinking about and coming up with new spins. I completely agree with you: right now it's being reviled because of how dark and cruel it is, but with a few years it will become a Classic Arthouse film.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

14. Burial Ground aka The Nihgts (sic) of Terror aka one of the many movies released as "Zombi 3"

Grungy early 80s Italian zombie flick. This was one of those movies that had a VHS box with spooky art that fascinated me as a kid in the video store (this is the sort of criteria that is informing the movies I pick for this challenge, by the way). Ancient Estruscan zombies are awakened and eat the archaeologist who disturbed them, as well as the horny upper class twits he invited to his mansion to show them his work. As far as zombie movies go this checks most of the boxes, but man it's weird on a lot of levels. It has some creepy moments (the zombies are mostly silent which is cool, and they use weapons!) and mimics probably the most famous kill from Fulci's Zombie, but from what I could see this movie is probably most infamous for a really sleazy and uncomfortable Oedipal thing between one of the guests and her "young" son that really cements this as over-the-top (researching after I watched, the actor they cast for the son was 25 years old for what becomes obvious reasons at two points in the film, including one of its most gruesome moments at the end). I thought the American dubbing was hysterically funny too, for some reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bruteman posted:

I thought the American dubbing was hysterically funny too, for some reason.

mmMAma!

Mother? ...this CLOTH smells of death!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rob Zombie's Halloween,

It just can't hold a goddamn candle to the original imo.

It's certainly not bad, but there's way too much Michael on-screen and it neuters any sense of dread. Also did anyone else think that little redheaded girl was a boy in drag at first? Ah gently caress I'm going to hell.

3 ignored gunshot wounds out of 5.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Roadgames,

I had never heard of this movie until this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The lead is fun to listen to shoot the poo poo as he goes about his life, and there's some really unexpected scenes (I mentioned one earlier, but when he steals the motorbike and immediately crashes it I again cracked the gently caress up

Jamie Lee Curtis makes a pretty unmemorable appearance but I enjoyed the open question until the end of whether our man was hallucinating or not.

4 dingos out of 5.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 4, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Franchescanado posted:

I didn't even pick up on the costume designs or the medical allusions you mentioned! It's a movie that I keep thinking about and coming up with new spins. I completely agree with you: right now it's being reviled because of how dark and cruel it is, but with a few years it will become a Classic Arthouse film.

mother! seems bound for the criterion collection.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Neo Rasa posted:

mmMAma!

Mother? ...this CLOTH smells of death!

It's impressive that in a movie filled with zombies, that's the most unsettling character.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Castle Freak
1995, dir. Stuart Gordon | Shudder

Gross!

Stuart Gordon is one of my favorite horror directors despite the fact I've only seen three of his films. He doesn't really have a lot of films, so I'm slower to go through his catalog.

From the horror thread during my viewing:

Franchescanado posted:

Castle Freak is hosed up.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, but in a way that's not quite as fun as Re-Animator or From Beyond. Still good though.

Hollismason posted:

Castle Freak is hosed up but it's got one of the best performances by Jeffery Combs and Barbara Crampton. It's not over the top madness it's legit amazing and just brutal scenes between two people tearing into each other emotionally at times.

This was I believe the last movie Jeffrey Combs and Crampton made together , it's really good and it's really dark in a unexpected way. On one hand the monster is very real in this and on the other it's kind of pitiful and sad. It's full on Gothic Horror as well as through the eyes of Stuart Gordon.

Like there' a dark pitch black humor here at some points, but mostly it's just a really intense film something you don't see from Gordon.

I really like Castle Freak

Castle Freak has a much smaller budget, so it's production is modest and kind of gritty. It's a Full Moon production, and has a similar aesthetic to many of their films. It looks like it was filmed on video, printed on 35mm, and then released directly to video. I found the aesthetics a little off-putting at first (my eyes are spoiled by HD and 4K; this movie deserves a remaster), but it gives the movie a weird look that screams mid-90's. To the film's credit, it embraces the Italian castle setting, and the creature design would fit in well with many of the 80's Italian horror classics.

This movie is tonally different than other Gordon films. They're usually gross, but gleefully so, energetic, playful, witty, and fun. Castle Freak manages to be gross and energetic, but it's much meaner, and the drama is much more human. For comparison, Re-Animator deals with clashing egos and science overreaching morality and ethics, and patriarchy. Castle Freak's drama centers around a collapsing family--the father has issues with alcoholism that lead to a family tragedy, the mother can't forgive him for his transgressions, the daughter is trapped between them as a victim of circumstance trying to grow independent but being limited by her over-protective mother. There are several stories of horrible families in Castle Freak, actually, one of which is an incestuous affair that births the film's monster. Hollismason nailed it: it's full on gothic horror with modern horror sensibilities.

The other major difference--and it's a big one--is the use of violence. Gordon embraces gore better than most directors (I rank him with Raimi and Peter Jackson as the masters of gore). There's a particular gruesome scene exactly 34 minutes into the film, the end of the first act. It is absolutely brutal and disgusting. It's a brilliant moment, because all the violence until that point has been implied, and now it's right in your face. Without the agony of that scene, the rest of the film would fall flat. Instead, it prepares the viewer: "You think this is bad? There's still an hour left." This movie is brutal. I would consider it cruel, mean-spirited. A major aspect of the film is based around the impotence of Jeffrey Combs's father character. His impotence is imposed by his wife, Barbara Crampton. By failing as a father and husband and causing the accident that marred their family, he is no longer able to be the "man of the house" in any/every capacity. He begs his wife for sex, and she refuses him as a pitiful cretin. This sexual frustration is fully emphasized by the monster, Giorgio, who is hideous, starved, hobbled, and in turns lonely, pitiful, and horrible and cruel. Giorgio learns a lot from John (Combs), except his actions tend to have more bite to them. Re-Animator has it's perverted moments, From Beyond embraces human sexuality throughout, but Castle Freak is fueled with horrific perversion and features some strong violence towards women.

Castle Freak is also fascinating because the first act opens the story to many directions. I can name at least three plots that a more subdued film might have driven the premise. Castle Freak instead barrels right by them, and it's all for the better.

I watched this film with two friends who both agreed it's one of the most horrifying things I've ever shown them. One of them saw mother! with me, and he said that Castle Freak was worse. It's not as fun as other Gordon films, but it's more horrific, and there's a lot to dissect. I've said this for many of the films I've watched, but this is a lesser-known film that deserves more recognition. It's one of the most fascinating movies I've seen for the challenge, and it emphasizes why Stuart Gordon is one of my favorite horror directors and why he's one of the greats: there is serious thought put into the story, the ideas, the themes, the characters, but it can still be silly, funny, goofy, gross, perverted, horrific.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5

edit: Shout out to Jonathan Fuller who put in an amaaaaaazing performance as the monster. Same to the make-up effects department who loving nailed it.

Movies Watched
NEW: I Walked With A Zombie, Dead & Buried, The Mummy ('59), The Resurrected, Critters, Cemetery Man, Roadgames ('81), mother!, Christine, Willow Creek, Castle Freak
REWATCH: The Return of the Living Dead, Pumpkinhead, Night of the Creeps,
SHORT FILMS (not counted in goal): Junk Head 1;
TOTAL: 14

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 4, 2017

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
4. Motel Hell (1980)
Wow. This movie was great! Farmer Vincent uses his trapping skills and small-town Motel to help enhance his charcuterie using his Grandma's secret recipe. My only real complaint is that the heroine's decision to stay with these creepers makes just absolutely no sense.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

5. The Houses October Built 2 (2017)
The idea is sound: haunted house enthusiasts hearing about an underground super-scary haunted house is some good creepypasta and could make a good movie. The first film didn't work for me. The stalking was pretty good and creepy but the majority of the film (going through various haunted houses) was boring and poorly filmed.

This feels like a half-assed haunted house documentary tied in to the original with the same basic plot. It's better filmed but suffers from the same issues as the original. Experiencing a haunt through video is not a particularly scary or interesting experience.
:spooky:/5

I recommend Hell House LLC instead, which is much better. It sticks to one haunt and makes that one scary through familiarity.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
4. Microwave Massacre

One of the things I love about blind buying horror blu rays is that, for better or worse, you always end up with something different. An unhappily married depressed construction worker discovers a new kink after not having sex for 15 years. It's absurd and at times way funnier than it has any right to be. The main character looks at the camera a lot, inviting us to join him in his consumption habits which would have been better if that felt even remotely gross. Instead it just feels goofy in a cartoon sense. The microwave featured in the movie is hilariously oversized, which kept me chuckling every time it showed up. The effects in this movie rival your seasonal halloween store offerings, sometimes this adds to the movie, sometimes it distracts.

All the men are pigs and they all partake in the snacking which makes for an interesting message as they joyously devour hookers even if they do unknowingly. There was a spark there, unfortunately the wiring wasn't right and left the overall main course under-cooked.

2/5

Watched: Motel Hell, The Burning, Carnival of Souls, Microwave Massacre

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Most people seem to barely even remember this movie, it's similar to Friday the 13th in the sense that the sequels are what have really stuck in pop culture. Which is a shame, because the original is extremely effective at building suspense in the first two-thirds, and then delivering the goods in the finale. Chucky really gets put through the wringer, that's one tradition that the series does establish right away.

One thing I always tend to forget about Chucky his how big he is, just on its own his size is actually kinda frightening. He's almost bigger than Andy:

Chris Sarandon gives an uncharacteristically reserved performance, but is still really good as always. His showdown with Chucky in the overturned car is one of the best scenes in the whole series, especially because on first viewing you really expect that he's gonna buy it right then and there.

If you could somehow show this to someone completely blind, the question of what exactly is happening in the first third of the movie is an element that obviously the sequels could never have. Holland cleverly inserts little bits that put doubt in your mind that maybe Andy has somehow learned about Ray's crimes by watching the news and is reenacting them. It all builds to a great scene where Andy's mother checks Chucky's batteries, and well...

I love when a classic horror franchise gets in on the October festivities with a new sequel, this was a fun double feature because of how far the series has obviously come.

I actually enjoyed this movie more than it seems like a lot of others did, it has some really effective moments and as risky as it's gimmick may be I think in the end it works because of Brad Dourif and his daughter, Fiona. You can never really get enough of Dourif, and then when it comes time for a really campy and potentially ridiculous ending, they pull that off too. The elephant in the room with this film is the look of the mental hospital, it's a pretty bizarre futuristic look, almost like it could be a Star Trek set or something. Kinda tough to convey just how pervasive this look is with a screenshot, but this one kinda shows you what I'm talking about.

Just white on white everywhere, it feels like they're on a space ship. After a while I got used to it though, and the movie really picks up at a certain point and becomes much more of a gorefest than I was expecting. I think the movie is unrated, and the kills are really a lot gooier and nastier than they were in Curse of Chucky. I'd say if you enjoy most or all of the series then give this one a go, I think it's a worthy sequel.

Completed:The Wicker Man, Deadly Blessing, Night Creatures, Shock Waves, Slugs, Venom, Maximum Overdrive, Christine, The Tingler, The Masque of the Red Death, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Funhouse, Poltergeist, Lifeforce, Invaders From Mars, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The Seventh Curse, The Mummy, Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, Hellraiser, Hellbound: Hellraiser II, Child's Play, Cult of Chucky

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hmm I might give Cult a chance now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

In no way is Demons a giallo, it's just Italian Evil Dead 2.

Ehhhh. If it's not a giallo it's giallo adjacent. I'm sure one of those possessed theater patrons was wearing black gloves, I'm gonna count it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

13. Tusk (2014)
dir. Kevin Smith

Okay, so look. I came for Justin Long being turned into a walrus. What I got was Justin Long being turned into a walrus.

Did I particularly appreciate the extensive, overlong, flatly shot scenes of dialogue? No. Is it just a poor man's remake of Porkin' Across America? Sure. Did I spend the entire film thinking that was Stephen Root and not Michael Parks? Yes I did. But those things don't matter. I saw Justin Long transformed into a horrid Frankenwalrus complete with fleshy blubber and gross stitches and big ol' Tusks. They even had money in the budget dedicated to getting Fleetwood Mac's Tusk for the soundtrack.

And I just can't call that a failure.

Watched: It (2017); The Invisible Man; mother!; Carnival of Souls; Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III; Dementia; Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains; Snuff; The Last House on Dead End Street; When a Stranger Calls; Peeping Tom; What We Do in the Shadows; Tusk (Total: 13)

• Locked thread