Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guys... I got BattleChasers for PS4. I like it. Good art, good animation, fun gameplay.

I just want to say that (and confirm with reviews) I think this would be an even better handheld/on-the-go game. Just babe sure performance is solid. There are some loading issues and stuff... nothing major.

Might be real good on the switch. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
real good? sorry, theres only room for games that are perfect for the switch

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And it $15 on US?

Does anyone know anything about the Viking game releasing Thursday? Volgarr the Viking?

Sounds like shovelware but some people I saw were really talking it up as a great platformer. Apparently been out on Steam a couple years. Anyone recommend it?

It's extremely hard and punishing, like too hard. I couldn't make the first checkpoint and gave up.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And it $15 on US?

Does anyone know anything about the Viking game releasing Thursday? Volgarr the Viking?

Sounds like shovelware but some people I saw were really talking it up as a great platformer. Apparently been out on Steam a couple years. Anyone recommend it?

oh yeah I got that on steam a while back. Very Ghouls and Ghosts hard, if you play enough you get the flow of the level then you end up tearing rear end through it. Before that point the game beats you in the face with the rock repeatedly.

You can watch the steam trailer and it pretty much shows you what I mean between the first and second half of the video

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok thanks. Sounds like something I'd enjoy watching more than playing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

15 dollars is a steal for a game like Stardew on the Switch.
8 dollars is grand fuckin larceny.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

People abusing these kind of international deals meant to make game prices reasonable in lower income markets is why it's a loving pain in the rear end to buy import games. Or in my case any games at all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Honestly kind of shocked they didn't try to sell Stardew for $40

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DaveKap posted:

I used to think the same way but steam sales made me really REALLY numb on game prices.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dizz posted:

I used to think the same way but steam sales made me really REALLY numb on game prices.

It makes me extremely sad that some people have seen things like Steam sales and straight-up demand that even things that provide literally hundreds of hours of personal and social entertainment should not be above $20, at most.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It does not make me extremely sad that some peoples' interpretation of the value of a material good does not line up with what I believe to be the truer value of the material good

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'd be a lot more sympathetic of the prices if I didn't live in a country where the prices for games are regularly 25-50% more expensive for literally no reason (especially in the cases of digital delivery).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

It makes me extremely sad that some people have seen things like Steam sales and straight-up demand that even things that provide literally hundreds of hours of personal and social entertainment should not be above $20, at most.

Some games are junkfood though. 100 hours of Angry Birds is not worth 5 hours of Portal 2

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

It makes me extremely sad that some people feel that since they enjoyed a game greatly that the game's price and value should never drop under a certain threshold so that people who are low on money for any reason can't also enjoy said games.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

nerdz posted:

People abusing these kind of international deals meant to make game prices reasonable in lower income markets is why it's a loving pain in the rear end to buy import games. Or in my case any games at all

It's 2017. Importing games is not hard at all.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Dizz posted:

It makes me extremely sad that some people feel that since they enjoyed a game greatly that the game's price and value should never drop under a certain threshold so that people who are low on money for any reason can't also enjoy said games.

If I had it my way, the only version of nba2k18 would be the legend edition for 150 United States Dollars and it'd be on a 4GB MicroSD card requiring hot swapping of the cards to switch between game modes. And you'd have to swap them between quarters too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

enojy posted:

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but Stardew Valley is going to be 149.99 pesos on The Mexico eShop, which works out to about $8.20ish.

This is just like the Shovel Knight "deal" — it's the same game in English, playable by any user account on your Switch. Chucklefish has already acknowledged it and politely asked you don't take advantage, but if you already have a Mexico account on your Switch... proceed at your own karmic risk!

Do I need to keep the Mexico account afterwards or can I delete the profile as long as it's already on the switch?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“Zerilan”" post="“477034239”"]
Do I need to keep the Mexico account afterwards or can I delete the profile as long as it’s already on the switch?
[/quote]

Pretty sure you have to keep it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

enojy posted:

Pretty sure you have to keep it.

not worth it for when you get raided by the dhs on suspicion of housing illegals

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

wait, volgarr is coming out on switch??

huh

probably won't buy it but... cool

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I buy a game from another country's eshop does it show up on my main switch menu with the rest of my games?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

i also felt this way about golf story, I was expecting $30

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

bowmore posted:

If I buy a game from another country's eshop does it show up on my main switch menu with the rest of my games?

Yep. The only difference is that when you start up the game, it will ask which profile to use for save file purposes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dizz posted:

I pretty much rate games based on a scale of how much I think they're worth to buy. All prices for Stardew are low prices.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

DaveKap posted:

I pretty much rate games based on a scale of how much I think they're worth to buy. All prices for Stardew are low prices.

of course! I also agree that some games can be too much/too little on the price in comparison to what it provided, but I will also appreciate sales on games because it means more people can have access to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If I can't get a dozen steam games on a humble bundle, then it's too much. But I'll pay $60 for Mario.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Golf Story is an absolute steal at $15. If you haven't bought it yet then you're loving stupid.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep. The only difference is that when you start up the game, it will ask which profile to use for save file purposes.
Cheers mate

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dizz posted:

I hope you didn't take this as an attack on you; sorry if it came off that way. I just know a lot of people (and see a good many people online) who basically don't see games as "products made by people who should get money for it" and rather view them as "media that should provide maximum entertainment in exchange for as little input as possible."

I'm definitely on board with things having sales so they can have mass appeal in the long run. I'm not on board with people going "This amazing game with rave reviews by developers that deserve my money should be Steam Summer Sale price when it suits me."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Volgarr is incredibly good if you're super patient and like putting in the work for that type of super punishing game.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I hope you didn't take this as an attack on you; sorry if it came off that way. I just know a lot of people (and see a good many people online) who basically don't see games as "products made by people who should get money for it" and rather view them as "media that should provide maximum entertainment in exchange for as little input as possible."

I'm definitely on board with things having sales so they can have mass appeal in the long run. I'm not on board with people going "This amazing game with rave reviews by developers that deserve my money should be Steam Summer Sale price when it suits me."

Guess I took it personal for no reason. Whoops!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Argue posted:

I may have asked this before, but does Stardew have a strong modding community? I have it on Steam but haven't played it, and I'm more inclined to sacrifice versatility if it's got a lot of awesome mods a la Minecraft, or if you need to use mods/debug consoles to escape game breaking bugs a la Fallout 3.

You tell me, friend: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/78dp5d/the-stardew-valley-modder-who-added-jerk-off-schedules-for-every-guy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/910171684006764544

Natsume's Harvest Moon Light of Hope was announced for Switch, PS4, and PC over the summer. Much like The Lost Valley and Skytree Village, there's hardly any advertising for it.

Marvelous/XSeed's continuation of Story of Seasons (the game formerly localized as Harvest Moon) looks like its staying on 3DS for one more release.

That looks like a low effort/budget mobile game. Not as bad as the half-assed FF6 mobile port, but still pretty bad.

DLC Inc posted:

SUPERHOT when

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:allears:

Mister Facetious posted:

They would've looked a lot better had he bothered to remember to add shadows to them. It's like a photo with nothing but highlights, so it looks airbrushed as gently caress.

Or if they spent more than 30 seconds editing the FFD sprites they're based on. Those sprites could look fine if they weren't so drat plain and same-y. Or if they had better artistic consistency for the game in general.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Can't wait for the 'dew. Previously I only played a few hours to get a nice taste of it. Gonna be my go to game on the road.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

It does not make me extremely sad that some peoples' interpretation of the value of a material good does not line up with what I believe to be the truer value of the material good

Nothing material about it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dizz posted:

Guess I took it personal for no reason. Whoops!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Switch friend!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Takoluka posted:

It's not really a "new thing" per se, it's just that previously you'd be buying used paperbacks/DVDs for $1.50 of something that came out at $30 on release, or spending $30 at a garage sale for a 2-generation-old game console and 20 games or whatever. For the PC, at least, established platforms like Steam and GOG mean the long tail of a game's viable lifespan has gotten much longer, and ultimately "used price"-level sales of an older but effectively-free-to-distribute digital commodity where the profits still go directly to the developer instead of ebay or gamestop are more of a win for the developer than not.

It's the same not-actually-a-correlation idea as pirating = lost sales; the people who want the game for cheaper than $60 and are willing to wait are generally not the people who would be willing to buy it for $60 at any point in the game's lifespan anyways, and if they buy it at all it'd be on the cheap on the second hand market.

Digital sales killing the secondhand market being a good or bad thing is, of course, an entirely other discussion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And it $15 on US?

i didn't know this was coming out, but gently caress yeah, Volgarr is good times. frustrating in a real headache-inducing way but then you blitz through the first level and feel like a brutal golden god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

i didn't know this was coming out, but gently caress yeah, Volgarr is good times. frustrating in a real headache-inducing way but then you blitz through the first level and feel like a brutal golden god.

It's so metal you turn into a viking God of whirling death

• Locked thread