Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

Hmm, maybe some kind of write-back service from O365/Azure to on-prem AD, hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be nice to have Microsoft address it in a way that still provides a supported way to make changes, remove all on-prem Exchange servers and keep AD Connect in place. Like more or less everybody else, I edit things like the proxyaddress attribute directly, but it can't hurt to have more development in that area.

Yeah, this was out of Ignite where I was talking to program managers for the Azure AD team. They didn't specify exactly what form getting rid of that requirement would take, I'm hoping its ability to edit in cloud and write back to on-prem AD, but I guess we'll see.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, this was out of Ignite where I was talking to program managers for the Azure AD team. They didn't specify exactly what form getting rid of that requirement would take, I'm hoping its ability to edit in cloud and write back to on-prem AD, but I guess we'll see.

Considering that a video I just watched said that Azure AD is going to start supporting schema extensions, that seems likely.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Considering that a video I just watched said that Azure AD is going to start supporting schema extensions, that seems likely.

Doesn't it already?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Doesn't it already?

It was new to me, but a quick search seems to imply that it was really only usable by graph api calls and not integrated into any other products.

e: I have to admit I wasn't paying very close attention, but it got a "oh that's neat" when I saw the slide. So maybe they were actually just talking about improving support for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“Aunt Beth”" post="“477004329”"]
Oh cool. I’m gonna stay too. Wanna get beers and awkwardly make small talk?
[/quote]

Sorry for the late response, but sure. I'm supposed to take some customers out tonight, but can probably do something tomorrow. Email me at yupitssteven@gmail.com

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

RFC2324 posted:

I've never worked anywhere that stepping out for a cig wasn't a thing we did. it was part teambuilding (10 minutes at a time outside of the office setting), partly a way to get away from our desks to bounce ideas off each other, and part networking with people outside of it

I get things moved along the most when I meet with our architect and another sys admin or two and stand outside smoking a cig (sometimes 2) for 5-15 minutes, best meetings ever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

big money big clit posted:

Email me at (redacted in case you remove it later)
Do you have trouble giving out your clever email address? I made one myself, so that instead of being like, firstlast947@gmail, I picked up the.first.last@gmail, but now I just end up having to explain and spell my address when I give it out. I thought it was clever, but now I just have a bad email address.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

[quote="“MC Fruit Stripe”" post="“477033779”"]
Do you have trouble giving out your clever email address? I made one myself, so that instead of being like, firstlast947@gmail, I picked up the.first.last@gmail, but now I just end up having to explain and spell my address when I give it out. I thought it was clever, but now I just have a bad email address.
[/quote]

That's my throwaway email address, so I'm rarely actually giving it out to anyone verbally. I just use it for things that might get me spammed and when I don't want it traced back to my actual real world identity. My personal email address is first.last format.

Also, I was a super early adopting gmail so I got first.last for my name without having to add a bunch of numbers or anything else. It's a major point of pride.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There was that brief moment in time, when people still knew phone numbers and were starting to memorize e-mail addresses/give them out as primary contact information to acquaintances, where a clever e-mail like that was useful.

In my experience, that was also when gmail started.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I could go back to early Gmail and register first.last or anything close to it, I would. I gotta think of something better than "not just fruit stripe 143, but THE fruit stripe", because this just isn't working at all.

Pardon my making this all about me, back to better topics.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I could go back to early Gmail and register first.last or anything close to it, I would. I gotta think of something better than "not just fruit stripe 143, but THE fruit stripe", because this just isn't working at all.

If it makes you feel better, you could give out your email address as 'thefruitstripe@gmail.com', without the periods.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why first.last is not available to me. There are less than 20 people in the world with my last name, none sharing my first. I really wish I'd registered it back during the beta. I'm stuck with first.m.last, and I hate it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MANime in the sheets posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why first.last is not available to me. There are less than 20 people in the world with my last name, none sharing my first. I really wish I'd registered it back during the beta. I'm stuck with first.m.last, and I hate it.
Wow that's an obscure one, is it a last name you're comfortable posting on this forum? I'd love to know what name could be so rare.

My name's not John Smith but it's not rare, but when I type it in and it's like "that's not available, how about we tack 744 on the end of it", just, come on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Also, I was a super early adopting gmail so I got first.last for my name without having to add a bunch of numbers or anything else. It's a major point of pride.

:hfive:

Same. I got super lucky a guy in my group at $BIG_BANK_JOB had one of the first beta invites and give me one of his allocated "invite a friend", because my name is not all that uncommon.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I registered a first.last that seems really common name in the States that probably still to this day makes people made they have to get numbers after their name. I use it for my spam account and when I use an alias online since it is so generic. I don't feel bad about it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Sorry for the late response, but sure. I'm supposed to take some customers out tonight, but can probably do something tomorrow. Email me at donotreply@gmail.com
Sent! Feel free to take down the address if you want.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 4, 2017

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You don't want a common name in Gmail. I was in beta and my name is really common. I get so much weird poo poo in my email I've been able to open credit card accounts and other terrible poo poo. Please people. Learn your email address.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jaegerx posted:

You don't want a common name in Gmail. I was in beta and my name is really common. I get so much weird poo poo in my email I've been able to open credit card accounts and other terrible poo poo. Please people. Learn your email address.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm like one of 4 people in the world with my last name and we're all related, so email addresses is never an issue. Supposedly the nazis killed the rest of us.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreenNight posted:

I'm like one of 4 people in the world with my last name and we're all related
Certainly a different last name but :hfive:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
In addition to my internet persona email account I have my primary account on yahoo. It was originally supposed to be a throwaway account so I made it a clever slightly wrong phonetic spelling of C I O but then I got laid off and it became my primary account. It's so badly unpronounceable because pronouncing it right spells C-I-O and then I have to explain how to spell it not-quite phonetically. That was twenty-ish years ago. I have so much poo poo wired into that account now it's like that scene in the Matrix where Neo is getting his plugs removed and has all those wires sticking out all over his body.

The other bummer is that I have two legacy google business accounts that I registered during the beta so I get the two domains and hundreds of email boxes and all the apps for free. The pisser is that the domain names are stupid and hard to say over the phone so it becomes another exercise in bad decisions lingering forever. Google keeps trying to get me to make changes to these accounts so they can use it as an excuse to start charging me, but I like them free as they are thank you very much.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

jaegerx posted:

My name isn't super common but I still get things like the recreational league softball schedule for some dude in Missouri with my name, and one guys credit card and loan account notifications.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

In addition to my internet persona email account I have my primary account on yahoo. It was originally supposed to be a throwaway account so I made it a clever slightly wrong phonetic spelling of C I O but then I got laid off and it became my primary account. It's so badly unpronounceable because pronouncing it right spells C-I-O and then I have to explain how to spell it not-quite phonetically. That was twenty-ish years ago. I have so much poo poo wired into that account now it's like that scene in the Matrix where Neo is getting his plugs removed and has all those wires sticking out all over his body.

The other bummer is that I have two legacy google business accounts that I registered during the beta so I get the two domains and hundreds of email boxes and all the apps for free. The pisser is that the domain names are stupid and hard to say over the phone so it becomes another exercise in bad decisions lingering forever. Google keeps trying to get me to make changes to these accounts so they can use it as an excuse to start charging me, but I like them free as they are thank you very much.
I have this same issue but with whatever the Windows Live equivalent of this was. My domain is my last name dot com, my mail is free and I can't add users without converting the domain to O365 but I am just me so I do not care.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Irritated Goat posted:

Our network admin is at a conference. Our MSP shoots us an e-mail saying one of our switch ports is going up and down like it's at a carnival. I go in there, trace the line and oh boy, it's a 10Gb SFP port. I've never dealt with or touched one of these nice pieces of equipment. :derp:

I figured it out and helped determine the issue so I'm feeling like a super bad rear end now.

If I wasn't so down on myself about the "math" aspect, I'd find networking fascinating. I know enough to be dangerous so I'll just stick to servers for now I guess? :shrug:

Network is a great thing to be dangerous at. I take great pride in instantly being able to calculate any subnet, but it's not necessary by any means. You would need to be on a pretty huge network for manually summarizing ospf routes or something to be a thing. Even reading a bgp table output is not that important.

Email chat: I have the email first@last.info. I love it. I wish I had a .ca or a .org but I'm cool with the .info

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Network is a great thing to be dangerous at. I take great pride in instantly being able to calculate any subnet, but it's not necessary by any means. You would need to be on a pretty huge network for manually summarizing ospf routes or something to be a thing. Even reading a bgp table output is not that important.

Email chat: I have the email first@last.info. I love it. I wish I had a .ca or a .org but I'm cool with the .info

Mine's first@last.com, eat my rear end

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mine's first@last.com, eat my rear end

I've been to Canada. I can confirm there is a lot of eating rear end in Canada.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Wow that's an obscure one, is it a last name you're comfortable posting on this forum? I'd love to know what name could be so rare.

My name's not John Smith but it's not rare, but when I type it in and it's like "that's not available, how about we tack 744 on the end of it", just, come on.

I'd rather not post my name, but we're only been able to trace it back to when ancestors migrated into the US in the 1800s out of somewhere in central Europe, almost certainly from what was then a part of the A-H Empire. We think it probably got mangled at immigration to what it is now. The only people with the name these days are my parents and brother, and a small offshoot of distant cousins I've never met, none of which have my first name.

e: It's frustrating, because I really want to know, given how much I enjoy history. My mom's father's side is Irish as gently caress and we're pretty sure it can be traced pretty far back, but we've never tried because Mom was not exactly close or friendly to most of that side of the family, and knowing what town in Ireland my ancestors lived in 400 years ago isn't nearly as interesting to me. /derail

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 4, 2017

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

MANime in the sheets posted:

I'd rather not post my name, but we're only been able to trace it back to when ancestors migrated into the US in the 1800s out of somewhere in central Europe, almost certainly from what was then a part of the A-H Empire. We think it probably got mangled at immigration to what it is now. The only people with the name these days are my parents and brother, and a small offshoot of distant cousins I've never met, none of which have my first name.
This is me exactly. Great-grandparents from what we think is now part of Belarus around the turn of the 20th century. Name likely mangled. Just my family in NY and some likely cousins in MI with this spelling but nobody knows how they're related. I gobbled up lastname.com and squat it on most social media as soon as I can.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've never found somebody else with the same name as me, so my Gmail is firstlast@. My Skype ID is my first name and the initial of my last name, for six characters total. Nobody cares about Skype though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aunt Beth posted:

This is me exactly. Great-grandparents from what we think is now part of Belarus around the turn of the 20th century. Name likely mangled. Just my family in NY and some likely cousins in MI with this spelling but nobody knows how they're related. I gobbled up lastname.com and squat it on most social media as soon as I can.

Hrm, just checked and someone registered myobscurelastname.com back in 2000. Gonna have to email them now, maybe it will trigger some kind of distant family internet reunion.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a fairly common name and I managed to nab first.last@gmail.com

I occasionally get emails for other people. I ended up on the distribution list for someone's preschool class so I'd get emails like "remember to pack a light lunch for the field trip tomorrow" for a few months before they fixed it. I also got a summon for someone's annual car checkup. No credit card statements yet. :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I got in somewhat early on the gmail train, but still missed first.last even though I'm not overly common. I do share the name of a somewhat-famous 18th-century american poet, and I think someone who was a fan stole it for that. I did get fmlast@ though, so its cool.

My "throwaway" email gets goddamn Gumtree adverts for someone in Aus and also newsletters for a Marge in some retirement community in Arizona. The current drama is that Jim and Diane's new camper almost hangs over the sidewalks, so the community committee needs to have a meeting about whether that is violating any bylaws, and if not, how to create one to prevent this issue.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

my common name couldn't even get firstname.middleinitial.lastname at gmail. semi conveniently, my middle name is extremely uncommon, so my full name worked. additional comfort : googling my full name brings zero results. I did a while ago stupidly give that one goon who bought the goatse domain money for an email address there, i should just start using that. anyways : "Lorens" as a middle name is a blessing and a curse.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Methanar posted:

You would need to be on a pretty huge network for manually summarizing ospf routes or something to be a thing. Even reading a bgp table output is not that important.

I wouldn't say huge, but not mom & pop shops. I do a lot of route summarization for companies as small as 5+ branches.

Re: email chat. Mine is first initial middle initial last name, but someone has the same one with a 1 at the end. His grandfather always sends him dog pictures but emails them to me. I don't tell them so I can keep getting the pictures of the dog :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nerdrock posted:

additional comfort : googling my full name brings zero results.
Googling my full name used to bring up a bunch of old news articles about the trial following me being murdered in the early 2000s. :rip:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Collateral Damage posted:

Googling my full name used to bring up a bunch of old news articles about the trial following me being murdered in the early 2000s. :rip:

Early 2000s? Goondolences.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's a lot of dicks out there.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Dick Trauma posted:

There's a lot of dicks out there.

It's pretty traumatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I got on it super early as well (the oldest email I saved is from mid 2004), and still couldn't get any reasonable variant of my name. gently caress you, whatever Google employee/friend/family snagged them :argh: Both my first and last names are very common, so I run into that constantly.

Nerdrock posted:

additional comfort : googling my full name brings zero results

I'm also hard to find, for the opposite reason. Googling my name brings literally tens of millions of results lol so good luck finding the needle in the haystack without additional terms to narrow it down.