Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Sausages posted:

Smoke Something has a history of opioid abuse amongst other drugs. Boner wishes they'd become a statistic. Definitely a drugfucked brokebrain, probably not deserving of death though, you'd be surprised how much people can recover. Sobriety does wonders for healing a damaged psyche.

Conspiratardism always seemed to me to be more of a stims thing than an opioid thing, with psychedelics and weed also fueling a bit of the insanity. I'm all for psychedelics and weed but clearly they don't work for everyone.

I figure if that's what boner confessor thinks that he can explain it himself. I didn't want to assume he's wishing death on huge swaths of people. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

I figure if that's what boner confessor thinks that he can explain it himself. I didn't want to assume he's wishing death on huge swaths of people. :(

He was. Boner confessor isn't a nice person. Just click on the rap sheet.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hes just mad cause im stylin on him

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
While I don't agree with it, I'd like to experience one day in your version of reality. It's fascinating.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GutBomb posted:

While I don't agree with it, I'd like to experience one day in your version of reality. It's fascinating.

there are plenty of untested research chemicals still legally available on the internet

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You dont need to do drugs to become woke. Just a little curiosity an open mind and a lot of research.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Unless your David Icke. He really means reptilians

I really enjoyed the radio show where the Nazi host was all "it's okay, you're among friends, you can say it was just code for the Jews" and it slowly dawns on the host and the audience that, no, when Icke says psychic lizard aliens, he means psychic lizard aliens.

Icke's weirdly endearing and I hope he hasn't faced too many negative consequences from his insanity.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I really enjoyed the radio show where the Nazi host was all "it's okay, you're among friends, you can say it was just code for the Jews" and it slowly dawns on the host and the audience that, no, when Icke says psychic lizard aliens, he means psychic lizard aliens.

Icke's weirdly endearing and I hope he hasn't faced too many negative consequences from his insanity.

Someone told me once that his basic philosophy is "we are all enslaved by psychic alien lizards and reality is a projection from the hollow moon and we should be chill and good to each other because that sucks enough" and I was like goddamn Jesus believes in reptiloids

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Well he lost his job as a BBC sports commentator for being too crazy. At least his brand of crazy was just weird rather than horribly offensive unlike his BBC sports colleague Glenn Hoddle

Bonus shade:

quote:

Sports Minister Tony Banks said Hoddle was 'from another world. 'I have listened carefully to Glen Hoddle's views as expressed on the tape obtained by The Observer. They are totally unacceptable. If his theory is correct, he is in for real problems in the next life. He will probably be doomed to come back as Glenn Hoddle.'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
On the other hand he went on to do eight hour speaking appearances and sell books and appears to be happy and doing alright so good on him I wish I believed in something that strongly

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The idea of an atomic bomb being pushed out of a moving b-52 having a specific target that it was supposed to detonate over is pretty :allears:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Keeshhound posted:

The idea of an atomic bomb being pushed out of a moving b-52 having a specific target that it was supposed to detonate over is pretty :allears:

B-29s had perfectly normal bomb bays, but their accuracy wasn't great, especially dropping a bomb on a parachute.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

they were dropped from b29s using bombsights that were aimed at specific points. however, nagasaki was the backup target - the original target was too obscured by smoke to be reliably hit, and the bombing of nagasaki was roughly "we can see enough of the city through clouds and smoke to tell that this is our target, so we're dropping the bomb"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

boner confessor posted:

they were dropped from b29s using bombsights that were aimed at specific points. however, nagasaki was the backup target - the original target was too obscured by smoke to be reliably hit, and the bombing of nagasaki was roughly "we can see enough of the city through clouds and smoke to tell that this is our target, so we're dropping the bomb"

How embarrassing would it have been if they had whiffed and just nuked random farms far outside the city.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

LanceHunter posted:

How embarrassing would it have been if they had whiffed and just nuked random farms far outside the city.

It's not as if the US is any stranger to pointlessly attacking asian farmers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

boner confessor posted:

I was being facetious about "pushed out," my point was that we didn't really do precision bombing in any appreciably reliable way until after WW2.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

I was being facetious about "pushed out," my point was that we didn't really do precision bombing in any appreciable way until after WW2.

not by modern standards maybe but it wasn't unheard of during the war

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boner confessor posted:

Yeah and the clouds and general other mishaps during the mission are why the bomb ended up dropped 2 or so miles up one of the valleys in the city, with the effect of a decent portion of the city being shielded by the valley-side hills and ridges. This location did happen to mean that it industrial production in the city particularly hard though, by happenstance.

These things are why immediate deaths in Hiroshima are usually estimated to start with ~90,000 and go up to ~150,000 people, while Nagasaki is estimated at ~40,000 to ~80,000

Keeshhound posted:

I was being facetious about "pushed out," my point was that we didn't really do precision bombing in any appreciably reliable way until after WW2.

They did try to with the nukes especially, as they were extremely valuable weapons instead of just another bomb they had already dropped a million of before. Nagasaki just happened to have nearly everything go wrong with the mission, including finally landing back at base going way too fast with less than 5 mintues of fuel left, unable to contact base for clearance, and having to perform some crazy manuevers while landing to not barrel right into a dozen or so bombers on the ground nearby.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

boner confessor posted:

Well, "modern standards" being "can reliably hit this specific building." Which is what the claim that the Fat Man was dropped on a specific church out of Freemason spite is relying on.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

Well, "modern standards" being "can reliably hit this specific building." Which is what the claim that the Fat Man was dropped on a specific church out of Freemason spite is relying on.

the hiroshima bomb was only a few hundred feet off target, so it's not an absurd claim on that point alone (still absurd for many, many other reasons)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'd argue that kind of underscores my point that the idea of dropping an air bust directly over a specific church is ludicrous on it's face, but either way the point is moot because the end goal of the bombs was to incinerate everything in an enormous radius.

So to bring this back to the original theory, even if we chritably assume that it's all correct, and that not only could they have reliably put the explosion over that one church in question, but the masons do indeed have the kind of pull to make it a priority target for being made SUPER-DUPER dead, we still have to ask: why loving bother?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

I'd argue that kind of underscores my point that the idea of dropping an air bust directly over a specific church is ludicrous on it's face, but either way the point is moot because the end goal of the bombs was to incinerate everything in an enormous radius.

So to bring this back to the original theory, even if we chritably assume that it's all correct, and that not only could they have reliably put the explosion over that one church in question, but the masons do indeed have the kind of pull to make it a priority target for being made SUPER-DUPER dead, we still have to ask: why loving bother?

uh because the christians of nagasaki had expelled the freemasons duh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

To be fair I doubt that the conspiracy theorist is saying that the bomb itself landed on that specific building. I'm sure landing somewhere nearby is sufficient for that theory

It's stupid for a lot of reasons but "lol bomb dropping accuracy wasn't that great" is not one of them when the bomb results in a nuclear blast.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah uh...the whole point was that the freemasons are so despicable and amoral (not to mention all powerful) that they would destroy an entire city to hide their plot to destroy one church.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, then, but "ground zero" usually is used to mean "the center/exact point of the explosion."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you're reading too much into it. i dont think we need to pick apart the precise meaning of a super bad and incorrect conspiracy theory argument discussing the feasibility of precision use of nuclear weapons during ww2

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, then, but "ground zero" usually is used to mean "the center/exact point of the explosion."

While this is true the originator of the theory can just say that it was the intended ground zero without changing the meaning of the theory at all

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
So did Alex Jones suffer any, er, professional consequences from his supporters for claiming to be a performance artist?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mukip posted:

So did Alex Jones suffer any, er, professional consequences from his supporters for claiming to be a performance artist?
I think all good people knew that his courtroom act claiming 'performance art' was the real act, put on for the courts.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It's safe to say if someone listens to Jones enough to label themselves a fan, nothing less than Jones coming out and admitting it on his show, then canceling the swindle, would be enough to convince them. And even then you'll get the ride or die types claiming it's a brilliant counter false flag something something Illuminati assassins.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

It's safe to say if someone listens to Jones enough to label themselves a fan, nothing less than Jones coming out and admitting it on his show, then canceling the swindle, would be enough to convince them. And even then you'll get the ride or die types claiming it's a brilliant counter false flag something something Illuminati assassins.

Pretty sure they'd say The Jews finally got to him.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The core issue with conspiracy theories is coming to a conclusion first and working backwards to find evidence, and interpreting all information in a way to support that conclusion.

That's a hard nut to crack, these are the kinds of people who live through multiple end of the world predictions. It'll take more than Jones saying it's an act to sway them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
There's no way to get through to people once they start believing in things like "Crisis Actors" is there? Once they've crossed that threshold it's probably impossible to get them back huh?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

There's no way to get through to people once they start believing in things like "Crisis Actors" is there? Once they've crossed that threshold it's probably impossible to get them back huh?

Pretty much, at that point you start getting into "evidence is actually proof of a cover up!", nothing will work.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

boner confessor posted:

'Precision bombing' in WW2 usually meant 'hitting the right city'.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Lone Badger posted:

'Precision bombing' in WW2 usually meant 'hitting the right city'.

No, you're thinking of carpet bombing doctrine. Like for instance, the Hiroshima bomb only missed its target by 800 feet, despite being dropped from nearly 6 miles up from a plane flying at near its maximum speed in order that they could make sure they would escape the (still unknown at this time incidentally) blast radius. And most of the miss is from a sudden wind that picked up against the prevailing winds they had calculated things again.

Normal precision bombing runs would be down lower down, not pushing the planes to nearly their top speeds, and be done with multiple separate bombs - all of which would mean it's way easier to get the building you want.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Not so, fortunately. A lot of conspiracists crack from the strain of isolation and the symptoms of untreated mental illness and get help. We get the occasional poster here on SA saying they recovered, usually by improving other areas of their life and realizing they didn't need to see ghosts everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You can't argue against an irrational belief if the believer doesn't want to change his or her mind.

There's no logical way to convince someone that the world is a sphere, Chem trails are a fabrication, or that a 64 year old white dude killed 60 people if they hold a position without logic.

• Locked thread