Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Problem with things like bootlooping is, you don't have numbers of either how many devices did that and how many were sold. So you don't know whether it's a really huge problem, or some minority is being really vocal. Usually you only hear about people complaining, seldomly people praising something (outside of an echo chamber).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Problem with things like bootlooping is, you don't have numbers of either how many devices did that and how many were sold. So you don't know whether it's a really huge problem, or some minority is being really vocal. Usually you only hear about people complaining, seldomly people praising something (outside of an echo chamber).

You know what was a pretty big red flag for me? LG was entirely unable to replace my 10 month old 5X with another 5X. That was not an option.

That bodes pretty poorly for reliability. Would apple or even Samsung tell you "Well, we can't give you another 6S / S6 to replace your dead during warranty device".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The market is like, totally ready for a watch fob style. :wotwot:

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Been agonising over it for a while now but I am definitely upgrading from my Note 4 in the next few weeks. Want to see exactly how the Pixel 2 is priced; will probably get it, but if it's only an incremental upgrade Carphone Warehouse have Pixel XLs going for £399...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife dropped her g4+ in the toilet a few months ago. What's the difference between a G5+ and G5s+? Is the s worth it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Calaveron posted:

Perhaps we should try triangular phones

Power of the pyramid

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Update on my update situation:

me posted:

An update on this, thank you for the people who answered. I'd like to avoid doing a factory reset since I am dumb and have never done backups or anything.

Google updated 3 apps yesterday, YouTube, Google+, and "Carrier Services", and now the battery consumption is back to normal. I'm not sure if Carrier Services is even something relevant but that'd be my guess, either that or just finishing updating something somehow reset something else that was causing the problem.

The apps randomly disappearing problem still happens, but I think I've chased down one of the main causes: it happens when I go from wi-fi to mobile data 99% of the time. There's a city-wide wifi network that my phone jumps onto and off of when it's in range, and I think that's what's causing the "random" crashes. If I move out of range of a wifi and chrome is open it'll pop the "oh snap!" message nearly all the time, and I'm seeing the same behaviour in gmail, awful app, etc. I can work around this at least, the battery drain thing was a complete non-starter and I'm glad that seems to be fixed.

Google pushed out three separate updates to Carrier Services in a week and the problem went away. I don't know if everyone got them or if they were hand-made just for me but it's nice that everything's working now. I only got the "new" oreo icons after the third update, so I wonder if something was stuck in the update pipeline that was causing problems.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Is there a way to move move airplane mode on the s8+ to the the lock or home screen? I'm an airline pilot and constantly switching it on/off via the settings menu and then confirming it is getting kind of old. Apparently there used to be widgets for it but they were disabled in a recent android update.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

KodiakRS posted:

Is there a way to move move airplane mode on the s8+ to the the lock or home screen? I'm an airline pilot and constantly switching it on/off via the settings menu and then confirming it is getting kind of old. Apparently there used to be widgets for it but they were disabled in a recent android update.

Is it not in your quick settings panel in the notification bar? If not, there must be a way to add it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isn't it just in the notifications menu when you swipe down?

Also it feels weird for an actual airline pilot to use airplane mode, somehow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't know when this got fixed, but I think it was when my Pixel got updated to Oreo...

For years I have not been able to pause music/podcasts/anything with the pause/play button on my cars head unit. I can resume play with that button if I've paused it on my phone, but thats it.

I just realized that now it works as expected...it can pause and resume!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KodiakRS posted:

Dude this is the Android thread.

Make a fingerprint gesture for it.

But here's how to do your thing

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it not in your quick settings panel in the notification bar? If not, there must be a way to add it.

It is there. You either have to rearrange it to be in the first 6 icons or so, or pull down twice to extend the panel to find it. The problem is that when you activate it, you have to unlock your phone to "turn it on".

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, if I was going to Europe for a couple weeks and wanted to use my (VZW) Pixel, could I just grab a Project Fi sim card to use? Seems a better deal than paying whatever crazy prices Verizon wants.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Pixel 2 is gonna include a free Google home Mini

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thermopyle posted:

I mean, the Pixel 2 isn't out yet so I don't think anyone can recommend it, but assuming its as good as the Pixel 1...

Let's rate the Pixel 2 a 10. The S8 is probably 6.5-7ish, and going off their reliability track record the V30 is probably a 4ish.

(ratings based on flagship phones)

Where does the OnePlus 5 fall in this scale?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hughmoris posted:

Where does the OnePlus 5 fall in this scale?

1 +/- 5

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Isn't it just in the notifications menu when you swipe down?

Also it feels weird for an actual airline pilot to use airplane mode, somehow.

It is but since it's something I have to turn on/off about 6 times a day so having to swipe down the notifications menu twice and then confirm it every time is kind of annoying.

We have to put them in airplane mode because it annoys the FAA if we don't electronic interference can cause the airplane to spontaneously combust.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

:golfclap:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

You've got Mail!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

It is but since it's something I have to turn on/off about 6 times a day so having to swipe down the notifications menu twice and then confirm it every time is kind of annoying.

We have to put them in airplane mode because it annoys the FAA if we don't electronic interference can cause the airplane to spontaneously combust.

I know it used to be in the long-press power button menu on my S3, is that still a thing all these years later?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
No, long press power button is force reboot these days. Since you can't just battery pull.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DemonMage posted:

No, long press power button is force reboot these days. Since you can't just battery pull.

I meant for like... 3 seconds. The pop-up that has power down/restart options.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
S7 Edge is just Power Off, Restart, or Emergency Mode.

I only restart for security updates, so I forgot it actually had a mini menu, sorry!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
October security patch already rolling out for Pixel.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So wait Pixel 2 doesn't release tomorrow?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Fat_Cow posted:

Announcement tomorrow, released mid October for the Pixel 2 and mid November for the 2 XL.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Fat_Cow posted:

Oct 19 for pixel 2

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Currently with a Nexus 5x, have an iPhone 6s for my work phone and gently caress me I get so angry every time I use it. It's so loving awful, Pixel 2 please save me

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

October security patch already rolling out for Pixel.

They dropped the October 5th Security update yesterday from what the 3 pixels in my family showed. Both OTA and on the full image page. Weird seeing that on Oct 2nd.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

There's a bunch of 3rd party flight mode toggle widgets. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=flight%20mode%20widget&hl=en

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think I'm going to give up and just get the regular Pixel 2. On top of the LG problems and the delay, I'm still drawn to the blue more than the panda color and I'm willing to just go with the little phone as long as it's not appreciably different in size from the first small pixel, since both Dr. FAUXTON and my mother have those so I'm able to get a feel for the smaller device. However, I'm worried about how bad the typing experience is going to be since even with my Pixel XL I need to curl my thumbs up and around and type with the sides of the fingertips because holding them vertically (like so they'd hit the screen flat on the pad of the thumb tip) puts them about 2/3 of the way up the screen.

I'm not really gaining anything since I can use my XL one-handed just fine but I'm just a little hesitant because as good as touch recognition is, I'm probably going to just have to revert to swipe-typing. Does anyone with full-size hands have any advice on downsizing their phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Does anyone with full-size hands have any advice on downsizing their phone?

I'm a swiper anyway so I can't really give you anything in that regard though I'd imagine the larger bottom bezel putting the keyboard further up the screen can only help with the typing. Golly, it's almost like bezel free designs are stupid.

I know that half of it is that I'm getting old but whenever my wife hands me her Pixel to read something, I can barely read the tinier screen. If that's not an issue for you, I can't see what other drawbacks there could be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

I'm a swiper anyway so I can't really give you anything in that regard though I'd imagine the larger bottom bezel putting the keyboard further up the screen can only help with the typing. Golly, it's almost like bezel free designs are stupid.

I know that half of it is that I'm getting old but whenever my wife hands me her Pixel to read something, I can barely read the tinier screen. If that's not an issue for you, I can't see what other drawbacks there could be.

I already use the tiny text on my XL so if anything I'd be missing the actual real estate if the XL2's resolution is higher than the regular. Thanks for the info!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Merry Pixel Day Eve, thread

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll probably get the smaller PIxel 2 as well. I really liked the form factor of the original smaller Pixel anyway and I'm ok with it basically looking like that but with better internals.

Also that blue is nice.

FAUXTON, since I'm assuming you're still in Omaha, they'll probably still have the 2016 Pixels around at Nebraska Furniture Mart to test out.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've yet to find a swiping keyboard with high accuracy. I don't think I'm being horrible with my inputs but they really make me wonder...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll probably get the smaller PIxel 2 as well. I really liked the form factor of the original smaller Pixel anyway and I'm ok with it basically looking like that but with better internals.

Also that blue is nice.

FAUXTON, since I'm assuming you're still in Omaha, they'll probably still have the 2016 Pixels around at Nebraska Furniture Mart to test out.

I have an XL and both my mother and Dr. FAUXTON have regular pixels, I'm good thanks

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Merry Pixel Day Eve, thread

Praise Sergey, may the bezels be small and the regions numerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

People get the idea in their heads that a sixer probation is some harsh, terrible thing. It's weird.

Anyway, we always tell everyone that we don't need a ton of updates on everyone's shipping experiences. Maybe a couple of updates is fine so everyone know things are shipping but it gets ridiculous with a bajillion posts about how your phone has shipped.

Yeah, its not like those 3 days probates for saying Samsung is the best manufacturer of phones or something.