Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Peters is in for the betterment of man.

Assuming that he is that man.

I could see him signing up with National, sure - all depends on the kickbacks and the security of the position offered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vagabundo posted:

A friend of mine writes for the Herald, and she said it's just a case of writing opinion pieces just to fill column inches. It must suck being in the politics section, due to being in limbo.

Even for filler it is ignorant filler. They keep going out of their way ignoring how MMP works and why it is a good system. It doesn't matter if one party gets 49% when everybody else hates you and are willing to work together against you. That is the strength of MMP. You can easily argue that having a diverse coalition of views that can work with each other having the moral high ground.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

NZ herald: Quality political analysis

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11929033

See, it's like dating, amirite? And those crazy millenials are using that tinders thing, aren't they? Front page.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wanna see how many people in your area voted National? Spinoff did an interactive map of voting booths

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/27-09-2017/interactive-mapping-every-booths-votes-from-the-2017-general-election/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

People that voted at my school overwhelmingly voted Labour. Both Labour and National saw an increase in the share of votes cast there from 3 years ago (with National, it was a whopping .4%, but with Labour, it was almost a 10% increase).

Not that surprised, honestly. It's a fairly low-income area.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Looks like my polling station lost a third of its voters - almost all of them Greens.

It's weird how the map of National/Labour voting is so closely aligned to a North/South divide. Almost as if the traditionally affluent Shore don't have homeless people camping in their bus stops.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder what the nat/lab split for south african voters is?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I would say NZFirst. They are often anti immigration now that they are here.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Which party is pro-immigration?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slavvy posted:

National?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Uh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sebmojo posted:

National?

Must be a lot of severely conflicted south africans out there then.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

National?

Pro immigration, but anti immigrant. To paraphrase English, "someone needs to do the lovely jobs"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bike tory posted:

Wanna see how many people in your area voted National? Spinoff did an interactive map of voting booths

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/27-09-2017/interactive-mapping-every-booths-votes-from-the-2017-general-election/

Havelock North, in the tukituki electorate, voted overwhelmingly for the guy who allowed poo poo water to poison pretty much the entire town

Rather than let labour win

Those snobs were making GBS threads hard for weeks because of it, if that offers any solace

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Ghostlight posted:

It's weird how the map of National/Labour voting is so closely aligned to a North/South divide. Almost as if the traditionally affluent Shore don't have homeless people camping in their bus stops.

Also interesting is how the Western suburbs that have been the most popular with middle-class and up white people who were priced out of the central suburbs have a much stronger Nat lean than they traditionally have had.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Also interesting is how the Western suburbs that have been the most popular with middle-class and up white people who were priced out of the central suburbs have a much stronger Nat lean than they traditionally have had.

I'm pretty loving angry that Upper Harbour now contains Glenfield, Greenhithe and Massey. Awesome, half of West Auckland now contains half of the North Shore and we get Paula Bennett. Not to mention Labour half assed their candidates campaign and NZ first got more votes than the green candidate.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
All these posts when you could just say "Auckland bad"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/NewsroomNZ/status/915412086020177920

sebmojo posted:

how come? not that i disagree, but what makes you think so?

he's a right wing nationalist

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
NZ bad

mods you can close the thread now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Teachers are going for a 14.5% pay increase and living allowance for teachers living in high cost areas. Good poo poo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11929440

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Keep in mind that the NZEI also covers Teachers' Aides, who are bulk-funded, and are paid peanuts despite being a really important part of some classrooms. Those people are loving rockstars and they definitely deserve to be treated better. Their pay conditions are absolutely obscene, quite frankly.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Here we go again. What makes teachers think they are worth that amount of money. When the inflation rate has been down in low single digits it is impossible to justify. Perhaps they need to look at the efficiencies. They already get many benefits.

Where's the discussion on performance or productivity improvements or efficiencies or commitment to innovation, or rationalisation of resources to provide better outcomes for children's learning, all the things that private sector employees have to table, debate and address to justify pay increases. I value teachers and what they do and the commitment they make to our children but unionised collective bargaining for this group of professionals is out dated an effectual, and is firmly locking them into past inflexible practices as an industry group.

If they want pay levels like this they should be subject to performance measurements. Nearly every other job has some performance measure and if you dont perform you are subject to performance management or even loss of job. How many teachers are ever managed for failing our kids.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

We are, though?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Xik posted:

Here we go again. What makes teachers think they are worth that amount of money. When the inflation rate has been down in low single digits it is impossible to justify. Perhaps they need to look at the efficiencies. They already get many benefits.

Where's the discussion on performance or productivity improvements or efficiencies or commitment to innovation, or rationalisation of resources to provide better outcomes for children's learning, all the things that private sector employees have to table, debate and address to justify pay increases. I value teachers and what they do and the commitment they make to our children but unionised collective bargaining for this group of professionals is out dated an effectual, and is firmly locking them into past inflexible practices as an industry group.

If they want pay levels like this they should be subject to performance measurements. Nearly every other job has some performance measure and if you dont perform you are subject to performance management or even loss of job. How many teachers are ever managed for failing our kids.

hahaha this is great. but also sad because i know I'll hear this crap for realsies :/

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

gently caress's sake, Poe's Law in action.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
It's a comment from the herald article.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

We get great holidays* tbf

*non-negotiable periods of non-contact time with no paid leave allowance

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My brother in law and sister just came back from overseas. He taught English while there for a living (Bit of a stereotype, yes?). He 100% earned far more there than the equivalent position here as a certified teacher's aide with far less work, flexible syllabus he could mould as required, more than enough to have a holiday while overseas, build savings in one of the most expensive living spaces in the planet.

He came back as he was done with the country and his contract was up.

He was very effective, some of the kids cried that he was leaving, giving him letters written with the very language he taught to them. They were so genuine he had a cry that he was leaving them.

I am not going to ask him as to what he gets paid here but his only quality of life improvement returning is a bigger living space. Almost every economic aspect is going to be a step down.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/radionz/status/915476266567925760

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Vagabundo posted:

gently caress's sake, Poe's Law in action.

If it makes you feel better my post wasn't really satire since it was a mash up of three direct quotes in the linked article.

Teachers deserve all the money in the world.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

When I worked at an international school overseas I earned almost exactly double what I earned in the public system in NZ, and also had 2/3 the workload and only 20 kids in my class. And my school paid less than the other equivalent schools

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh come on, it's not like we have many refugees anyway. That's going out of your way for a scapegoat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Goddamn it New Zealand.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Following bith Bill English and Jacinda Ardern on social media at the moment is super awkward because they're doing the same events as kind-of-PMs

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
So I hear you guys are a Chinese "client state" now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/world/asia/new-zealand-china-spy.html

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We've been sucking the China tit for years.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Speak for yourself, I didn't get any cash from 'em.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Slavvy posted:

i crunched some numbers

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I am guessing X-axis how poorly/well immigrants are treated and Y axis is the number based on expectations from the parties.

Act pro slave labour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

oohhboy posted:

So I am guessing X-axis how poorly/well immigrants are treated and Y axis is the number based on expectations from the parties.

Act pro slave labour?

If that is what the invisible hand decides.

• Locked thread