Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Since the topic came up again anyway, I definitely find the starwars prequels to be the bad movies that are hardest to defend and every time I hear somebody say 'I like the star wars prequels' I begin to question literally every other opinion they have.

For a PYF subtle movie moment: the entire movie Super.

E: actually Super isn't very subtle but gently caress it, it's a great god drat movie.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Phantom Menace but I was in fourth grade when it came out and I don't know when I saw it last.You can't take my rose tinted glasses from me

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Len posted:

I liked Phantom Menace but I was in fourth grade when it came out and I don't know when I saw it last.You can't take my rose tinted glasses from me

we can't, but another viewing can

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Original Trilogy = Something Awful 1999-2017

Prequels = Something Awful New Font™

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

we can't, but another viewing can

And that's why I won't rewatch it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Not all that subtle, but awesome everytime I see it: Ewan McGregor trying to stifle laughter as he says "killing younglings". Like, that was the best, least-interrupted take. I like to think every other attempt was interrupted by hysterical giggles.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Len posted:

I think Phantom Menace is a solid AF movie until Jar Jar is introduced, after that it is a pure, literal shower of poo poo through and through (until the duel of fates, which is solid until it ends. Mostly because of the music.)

Something subtle I guess is... When Supes fights general Zod in whatever movie it is (the first new superman?) and there's a sign that says x days since last accident. The fight knocks the sign down, restarting the count.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Not all that subtle, but awesome everytime I see it: Ewan McGregor trying to stifle laughter as he says "killing younglings". Like, that was the best, least-interrupted take. I like to think every other attempt was interrupted by hysterical giggles.

I had to look this up, and... Oh Lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I mean, either that or a deep, remorseful sigh. Our maybe eye rolling.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It's an excellent moment because it gave us this:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Agent355 posted:

Since the topic came up again anyway, I definitely find the starwars prequels to be the bad movies that are hardest to defend and every time I hear somebody say 'I like the star wars prequels' I begin to question literally every other opinion they have.

For a PYF subtle movie moment: the entire movie Super.

E: actually Super isn't very subtle but gently caress it, it's a great god drat movie.

I have an acquaintance who loves the prequel movies.

He's never seen the original trilogy

He's in his late 20's

You may notice I did not call him a friend

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A few days ago I saw a book called the "Phantom Menace Scrapbook" in a shop positioned with the S obscured.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

A few days ago I saw a book called the "Phantom Menace Scrapbook" in a shop positioned with the S obscured.

What the hell is a hop?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a hop?

Not quite a jump, I'd say closer to a skip.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a hop?

12 parsecs.

No wait, that's a 'run'.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is a hop?

About tree fiddy

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's not exactly subtle, but a moment I liked from Suicide Squad was when Enchantress shows all the characters their deepest desire... and Deadshot sees himself killing Batman.

I like it because he's been set up as a relatively sympathetic character who keeps talking about getting his daughter back, but it turns out what he actually wants most is revenge. Either he's kidding himself about how deeply he cares about his daughter, or he really is the 'textbook sociopath' Harley accuses him of being.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
In Stephen King's "Gerald's Game" Netflix film there's a stray dog that is referred to as "Cujo over there" at one point. I though it was a cool nod.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cinema Discusso has collectively decided that the Star Wars prequels, along with the Transformers films, are actually genius works of art.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Greggster posted:

I think Phantom Menace is a solid AF movie until Jar Jar is introduced, after that it is a pure, literal shower of poo poo through and through (until the duel of fates, which is solid until it ends. Mostly because of the music.)

Something subtle I guess is... When Supes fights general Zod in whatever movie it is (the first new superman?) and there's a sign that says x days since last accident. The fight knocks the sign down, restarting the count.

I had to look this up, and... Oh Lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw

THat reminds me, I really like the fight between (Season 2 spoilers for Supergirl) Supergirl and Superman towards the end of the latest season, because of what it admitted about this version of the characters. Superman has been tricked with unusual kryptonite, which makes him see his sister as General Zod, so everything she says gets twisted into something Zod would say, so Superman is going all out trying to kill him, so of course Kara has to fight back and eventually manages to subdue him. Later she tries to give him an out by saying things like "Oh, you were brainwashed so you weren't fighting at your best." but Superman refuses to take it because he was fighting as hard as it was possible to fight. It just so happens that due to being trained in how to fight in kryptonite-laced rooms which bring Kara down to normal human strength by the DEO, Kara is just better at fighting. I like that they weren't afraid to go there.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a good bit like that towards the end of the comic Preacher

Jesse Custer is just a regular human being but has spent his entire life fighting, and was taught how to fight by his uncle Jody, enormous redneck sadist. So in the fight between him and Cassidy, a vampire with superhuman strength, Jesse gets the better of his much-stronger opponent because Cassidy always just took his strength for granted and never learned how to fight. Jesse's advantage doesn't last long, but it's a good take on how a lot of superhuman and hero fighters never actually learn any technique and just get past on brute strength

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

In Stephen King's "Gerald's Game" Netflix film there's a stray dog that is referred to as "Cujo over there" at one point. I though it was a cool nod.

At one point during Carla Gugino's hallucinations, Bruce Greenwood whispers into her ear that "all things serve The Beam"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

jabby posted:

It's not exactly subtle, but a moment I liked from Suicide Squad was when Enchantress shows all the characters their deepest desire... and Deadshot sees himself killing Batman.

I like it because he's been set up as a relatively sympathetic character who keeps talking about getting his daughter back, but it turns out what he actually wants most is revenge. Either he's kidding himself about how deeply he cares about his daughter, or he really is the 'textbook sociopath' Harley accuses him of being.

It's especially great because his daughter is nowhere to be found in that sequence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
To be fair, killing Batman is like, the Nobel Prize of assassination.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The worst thing about the word 'younglings' is Yoda is the first to say it, so you can easily convince yourself it's just another artifact of his already weird speech, or that maybe it's what his species called their young or something.

It's not until shortly after that you go "oh I guess they're all gonna say it" and the entire world around you becomes slightly greyer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still like the idea that Yoda's actually a 900 year old human.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I still like the idea that Yoda's actually a 900 year old human.

Yoda started calling them younglings 300 years ago for a laugh but now everyone says it and he doesn't know how to make them stop

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yoda, over the past 900 years, engineered events so that Anakin would kill all the younglings.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MariusLecter posted:

Yoda, over the past 900 years, engineered events so that Anakin would kill all the younglings.

An inside job, it was!

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

God Hole posted:

At one point during Carla Gugino's hallucinations, Bruce Greenwood whispers into her ear that "all things serve The Beam"

My wife and I turned to each other, jaws agape at this point. It was such a perfect Dark Tower reference in the way Stephen King likes to do them in his books, with no explanation, so that if you dont read them you wouldn't even know the line meant anything. Really cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Other than being cool to hate on the prequels I don't get the level of hate for "younglings"

It's not really different from recently common and normal word "youngsters"

I mean, it's dumb and pointless since they are already speaking English, and it's a clumsy alienese word that doesn't really add anything, so I agree that including it was a bad choice, but it seems like a super tiny quibble blown up into a galaxy-sized problem.

I know, I know, the internet

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It was already cheesy and unsubtle enough for the bad guy to literally murder children but then the dweebish understatement was, as if saying "killed children" is too racy for a movie but actually killing children isn't, enough to make my eyes roll out of my head.

It's funny that forums poster Tezzor is super annoying in any conversation about anything serious but when talking to prequel-liking nerds he's hilarious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Any other word than children would be stupid. "Youngsters" would be just as bad as younglings.

Anakin killed all the babbys who coudlnt frigth back

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Youngling is a silly word and sounds ridiculous in a big dramatic child murder reveal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's fine when Yoda says it, but when it's coming out of Natalie Portman's mouth it annihilates any shred of drama the scene hoped to have.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The squeamishness under those circumstances is sort of eye-rolling in its own right, but honestly, if it has to be done you could just substitute 'students' or 'apprentices,' or something.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rangpur posted:

honestly, if it has to be done you could just substitute 'students' or 'apprentices,' or something.

"Padawans" is already an in universe unique term. Use that, even.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Padawans can be teens, or probably even adults. They wanted to sell that he killed the kindergarteners.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's fine when Yoda says it, but when it's coming out of Natalie Portman's mouth it annihilates any shred of drama the scene hoped to have.

Tbf that's every line out of Natalie Portman's mouth

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He killed kiddos, Padme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Harriet, I killed a youngling