Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Jeffrey returns.

Edit: he was good for us but I doubt Clarko is happy 😐

Pretty sure Clarko orchestrated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shmoses posted:

Pretty sure Clarko orchestrated it

Well, good then!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

realbez posted:

Jeffrey returns.

Edit: he was good for us but I doubt Clarko is happy 😐

gently caress Kennett. I will never forgive him for his time as Premier.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It's interesting that re:jack watts our strategy seems to be to talk him down as much as possible to any potential suitors.

Either we don't actually intend to trade him and want to give him a massive Ki k as motivation, or we are dumb and want to reduce what we get for him in a trade.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Someone tried to float the idea of giving Watts and 10 to Gold Coast for 2, plus later pick swaps, and then brokebrain by suggesting it would be used to circumvent the draft undercut threat for Lever rather than just used to trade for him outright, because the Crows would take only one first round pick plus a second/player if it was #2.

e: Oh it was Ricky Nixon, brokebrain confirmed

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

7 Melbourne reporting that Lever's manager Ned Guy is about to be appointed as Collingwood's new list manager with Derek Hine moved sideways, because this whole thing wasn't hosed up enough already

e: Guy also manages wantaways Matthew Kennedy, Devon Smith, and Motlop

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 4, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
so just throwing this out there: ports reported to have had salary cap problems for the last few years, but are now heavily linked to star brisbane midfielder tom rockliff. what the gently caress are the crows doing? you have a guy who fills a very specific need in their side, who is keen to come to south australia, your side just played in the grand final and you cant even get in the conversation?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

so just throwing this out there: ports reported to have had salary cap problems for the last few years, but are now heavily linked to star brisbane midfielder tom rockliff. what the gently caress are the crows doing? you have a guy who fills a very specific need in their side, who is keen to come to south australia, your side just played in the grand final and you cant even get in the conversation?

Reports (allegedly) from inside the club this time last year were that the Crows met him once in early 2016, and ended their interest in him as a result.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah by all accounts we could have had Rockliff last year if we wanted him, but went all in on Gibbs instead. If they're not going for him again this year I'm sure it's because they don't want him.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Lever had to go into the pre season draft if he didn't sign a contract, but apparently that changed a few years ago and he can go into the national draft.

I still don't see how he can say "I'm only going to Melbourne" because he if he please ta a price on his head then anyone (I.e. Carlton, North) with a pick before them and cap space can take him

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

I thought Lever had to go into the pre season draft if he didn't sign a contract, but apparently that changed a few years ago and he can go into the national draft.

I still don't see how he can say "I'm only going to Melbourne" because he if he please ta a price on his head then anyone (I.e. Carlton, North) with a pick before them and cap space can take him

If he went the PSD I think the threat is that he would nominate $1m for a 1 year contract, and a club would be unwilling to do that if he's saying he would leave the following year.

If he went through the ND, a club is then risking a top ten pick on a player who says he doesn't want to be there and (is bluffing that he) won't sign on with them.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

If he went the PSD I think the threat is that he would nominate $1m for a 1 year contract, and a club would be unwilling to do that if he's saying he would leave the following year.

If he went through the ND, a club is then risking a top ten pick on a player who says he doesn't want to be there and (is bluffing that he) won't sign on with them.

Right, sounds like we don't have much bargaining power.

I hope we get a player like Salem or Watts out of it. We used six picks in last years draft and don't really need any more young kids not getting a game. Presumably Sloane goes to St Kilda as a UFA in 2019 so next year is probably the last in the premiership window for a while.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

Right, sounds like we don't have much bargaining power.

I hope we get a player like Salem or Watts out of it. We used six picks in last years draft and don't really need any more young kids not getting a game. Presumably Sloane goes to St Kilda as a UFA in 2019 so next year is probably the last in the premiership window for a while.

I still think you have a decent amount of bargaining power, we don't want to take the risk of another club picking him up in the draft (or swooping in with a better offer to him and the Crows) and clubs also generally try to work out trades that are fairly equitable.

I feel like after Saturday the Crows would be wary about getting in a guy like Watts - highly skilled, soft, goes missing too often.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mitch Clark is an example of negotiations turning intractable to the point that the buying club walks, and the next best offer for personal terms (along with a better trade deal) happens instead.

It's not a common thing, but it has happened.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
So this year's trade clogging trade is going be a 3-wayer?
Carlton ships Gibbs to Adelaide, Adelaide sends Lever to Melbourne and Melbourne moves draft picks around?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

More like a four way, because Carlton are buying Kennedy and possibly Smith with what they get for Gibbs, and GWS won't move on anything until that happens either.

Less a circle, more dominos - Melbourne has to sell something to someone to get the trade capital to give to Adelaide, Carlton won't budge on Gibbs until that happens because they'll want to try and get some of that action, and GWS will probably stall their plans until they know what they're getting from Carlton for Kennedy.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 4, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I really think kicking Jack Watts out is going to backfire horribly for melbourne. It seems like a bad choice.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

its an interesting one. the club is putting the acid on him very strongly, but if you look at the big picture you can see how its come about. he had a really good year in 2016 then turned up for 2017 pre-season underdone and never got going from there. given the horrific year hogan had, somebody of watts' experience should have been there to settle the team on the field and he wasnt. hes played 150 games with the club and should be setting standards, and given the way the club missed out on finals this year the first questions asked would have been "how do we address the lax culture within the playing group that costs them games they should win?", and if you go through the list hes one of the prime culprits.

so i think the angle from the club is to go hard at trading him out, if he leaves then that will remove a portion of the negatives theyve identified in the group, and if he stays then he would be the most motivated hes ever been in his career to reach his considerable ceiling of talent.

youd also expect it sends a message to the rest of the playing group that near enough is no longer good enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://twitter.com/FOXFootyLive/status/915391343161049088

quote:

Guy, the director of talent management at McDonald Sports, is currently the manager of Adelaide’s Jake Lever and GWS’ Devon Smith, who have both asked to be traded this exchange period.

Guy will move into his new role once their deals have been finalised.

Get. hosed.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see what the problem is, unless they both end up at Collingwood

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose he would have inside info about what each of the players he has managed are getting paid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Going from player management to a club in December or June is one thing, but doing it the week before trade period is shady as all gently caress, especially when it seems like practically your entire stable is demanding a trade.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

realbez posted:

I really think kicking Jack Watts out is going to backfire horribly for melbourne. It seems like a bad choice.

I can see both sides, but it seems the playing group are a bit sick of him based on comments a month back from the captains. A player of his seniority, there should be no excuses for work ethic, but Jones basically straight up said he doesn't think Watts meets professional standards when he leaves the club doors.

It will look pretty bad if he moves, it's the kick he needed, and he actually starts delivering on his extremely high ceiling, but would he ever hit that if he does stay? Who knows, but ten years in the system would suggest no.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
My impression of Watts is that he's the kind of dude who's coasted on talent his whole life and hasn't had to instil a work ethic.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh great Jeff's back. Guess our hoodoo against Geelong's gonna grow some legs.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:goshawk:
https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/status/915472975796637696

:magical:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Items disposed of include boots, jumpers, some socks, and josh jenkins

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It was a 7 reporter looking for a scoop who tailed him to the dump as well, rather than some rando bumping into someone that looked vaguely like him there.

I'm looking at our recruiting staff and wondering how we let a spanner this massive get through the interviews so soon after Tippett happened.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 4, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hahaha what a cockhead

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
The tip is about the make a bundle on eBay if true.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

a channel 7 reporter sat outside lever's house and followed him when he went for a drive in order to get the story? makes you wonder why he would want to leave adelaide

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

a channel 7 reporter sat outside lever's house and followed him when he went for a drive in order to get the story? makes you wonder why he would want to leave adelaide

As though Hutchy's Croc Media doesn't have an army of underpaid interns ready to do the same thing in Melbourne and Sydney at a moment's notice

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

7 Melbourne reporting that Lever's manager Ned Guy is about to be appointed as Collingwood's new list manager with Derek Hine moved sideways, because this whole thing wasn't hosed up enough already

e: Guy also manages wantaways Matthew Kennedy, Devon Smith, and Motlop

Isn't he Sloane's manager as well? Speaking of which, Essendon has been a tiny bit cagey about Francis' future at the club and the inside word is that there is a chance he might need to be used in a trade, and Sloane is the obvious candidate.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

As though Hutchy's Croc Media doesn't have an army of underpaid interns ready to do the same thing in Melbourne and Sydney at a moment's notice

I've known some croc media peeps

He absolutely does

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Also apparently when Essendon went sniffing around Jake Lever 5 weeks ago they were told he'd already agreed to terms with Melbourne

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm still mad about Richmond winning the flag, it sucks.

Not nearly as salty as Adelaide fans are about Lever though, holy poo poo.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Windmill Hut posted:

Not nearly as salty as Adelaide fans are about Lever though, holy poo poo.

Not just the fans, apparently the players cracked the shits with him in a big way too

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

He's Melbourne's (1 million a year) problem now!

This guy is the new thread superstar

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 4, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I'm not taking the word of literal trash diving reporters at face value, but if it is true I think it's hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

Not just the fans, apparently the players cracked the shits with him in a big way too

Supposedly he got his initial offer, went out and put himself up for auction and Melbourne made the best offer, he took that back to the Crows, the CBA happened and they made a better offer and a number of other players restructured their deals with paycuts to fit it in, then he took that to Melbourne who upped their offer, which he took back to the Crows and said beat it or I'm leaving. The players who took the paycuts to keep him were very unimpressed.

• Locked thread