Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best girl
Hibiki
Tsubasa
Chris
Maria
Kirika
Shirabe
Miku
The Man of Truth, Dr. Ver
Genjuuro
Shinji (who)
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked Carol. She had strong connections to the themes of the season like Miracles and Dads and was even related to some of the greater series themes. Also she had a great song and a cool weapon. Can't believe it took 3 seasons for an instrument to be a weapon in this show about songs.

Carol was too sympathetic for me to enthusiastically hate, and too much of an rear end in a top hat for me to root for, so she kind of languished in mediocrity IMO. Adam, the arrogant, lying, fedora-wearing, robot-grooming pedophile space man, was just a monumental piece of poo poo I could cheer for Hibiki to beat the living poo poo out of without the show ever having to stop to try and get me to care about his dead dad or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I watched the end of season teaser and now I'm dying because season 5 isn't out yet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There hasn't been any word on when that'll happen, has there? I wouldn't think it'd be more than a year given that they knew going in that they'd be getting another season.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

There hasn't been any word on when that'll happen, has there?

Not that I'm aware of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's fair. I wanted to see Carol get beat up and then hopefully come to the understanding that 'hey communication with people is possible and pretty cool'. Like a different take on what ended up happening with Fine. Someone who thinks communication can't happen. But while Fine highly valued communication and her whole plan was to make understanding possible again even if she had to gently caress everything up and ruin lives under the belief that it was currently impossible, Carol just hated the world and actively refused to try connecting with others. Then they both get saved by Hibiki and later give their lives to save someone part themselves because they start valuing other people. I dunno, I enjoyed the themes involved.

Adam was just a piece of poo poo though. And although I definitely hated him you can be a piece of poo poo and also interesting and entertaining on top of that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ver was more entertaining than Adam.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Symphogear villain rankings:

5. Adam
4. Carol
3. Ver
2. Fine
1. Itaba Yumi

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TFRazorsaw posted:

5. Adam
4. Carol
3. Ver
2. Fine
1. Itaba Yumi

What is this, an anime?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Please don't insult Yumi like this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm seeing Ver in villain rankings here and I don't understand it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yumi is a custodian. She sees beyond the fourth wall. She has the ultimate godly power and has been watching Hibiki the whole time. She will be her final test and opponent to see if Hibiki is truly able to eclipse the bonds of fictional reality and punch her way into our reality, becoming a part of our world and saving us from pain, loss, and war.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TFRazorsaw posted:

5. Adam
4. Carol
3. Ver
2. Fine
1. Itaba Yumi

n-no! it can't be!

iospace posted:

Ver was more entertaining than Adam.

I'm hard-pressed to think of many villians more entertaining than Ver. Ver is my favorite bad guy in forever. He's such an amusingly self-absorbed lunatic. Finé was, well, fine, but she's no Ver.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eela6 posted:

I'm hard-pressed to think of many villians more entertaining than Ver. Ver is my favorite bad guy in forever. He's such an amusingly self-absorbed lunatic. Finé was, well, fine, but she's no Ver.

Ver was the definition of "over the top"

In everything.

Shame he's dead :rip:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yumi will present hibiki with her final challenge: attempting to understand the english localization of wild arms 2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Stay safe alchemist ghosts

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lessail posted:

Stay safe alchemist ghosts

They're hanging out with Fine and Carol now, but not Ver because Ver is immortal.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ver died and went to hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Ver died and went to hell.

He made many funny faces but he was also a very bad man

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd say that overall this was a consistently strong season, on par with or slightly better than season 1, though not on the same level as G. The fights were always good and Adam was a good rear end in a top hat villain. Tsubasa had a little less to do but they're clearly building for her to be a big part of the next season. On the weaknesses side I would have liked some more scenes with the alchemist trio on their own, and the structure of each episode got a little too formulaic near the end.

Now why am I not currently watching season 5 and the advent of gods Hibiki and Miku?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Dr. John Wayne Vercingetorix is currently in Hell, trying to take over. So he can save all souls from damnation by ruling over Hell. This likely involves eating an energy field larger than his head and trying to get into Fine's pants (which she isn't wearing), and failing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All hail our goddess

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

iospace posted:

All hail our goddess

The OVAs for this season are going to be great

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
You have no idea how much I am looking forward to the possibility of Eternal Love Promise making it into the animated series in full length.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

s1 > g >> axz >> gx

s1 is a fantastic character drama, g is a really good action show, axz is a pretty good action show, gx is a mediocre action show. they all have really good character writing as a saving grace, but a lot of that strong character writing was established in s1 and g, so its not really fair to credit gx for the fact that hibiki rules when hibiki has been a good character for two seasons already.

also i really didnt feel any emotions towards carol at all, though genocide harp is an incredible song and far and away the best song in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think even G benefits a lot from season 1's strong character work. Stuff like Miku getting brainwashed or Chris making school friends and singing at the festival are big and memorable moments in G but they only land as well as they do due to the focus those characters got in a more character-driven season. Especially Miku who is kinda just not super prominent in G through most of the season (though that goes for every season except the 1st, there's a lot more characters now).

Season 1 is probably one of my favourite animes honestly. The action has only gotten better the show has remained as sincere and crazy as ever and the characters are still awesome but the type of show season 1 was is more my style I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Season 1 has a lot of incredible tone problems and bad animation but I liked that it was actually willing to have episodes go by with barely any emphasis on the fights. iirc a couple of eps didn't even have fights at all. meanwhile gx and even axz have 'oh no, alcanoise' every five minutes and it really gets in the way of letting the characters just breathe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only issue I really had with tone in season 1 (from what I can remember) was Fine's introduction. Which granted was real bad and kinda soured me on her for the rest of the show even if outside of it she's a very good villain. It didn't really strike me as a consistent problem.

Animation wasn't so hot though yeah.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Endorph posted:

s1 > g >> axz >> gx

s1 is a fantastic character drama, g is a really good action show, axz is a pretty good action show, gx is a mediocre action show. they all have really good character writing as a saving grace, but a lot of that strong character writing was established in s1 and g, so its not really fair to credit gx for the fact that hibiki rules when hibiki has been a good character for two seasons already.

also i really didnt feel any emotions towards carol at all, though genocide harp is an incredible song and far and away the best song in the series.

Genocide Harp was a pants-making GBS threads moment and I'm glad we got it
though somehow her using it again felt... empty?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I watched the finale on Monday and I'm still processing how cool Mega-Hibiki was.

Just a little disappointed there wasn't a bit of Kanade in there but oh well.

Hibiki is just the best character in anime

e: apart from Mio in Nichijou

McDragon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 4, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

McDragon posted:

Just a little disappointed there wasn't a bit of Kanade in there but oh well.

Yes there was, it was in Gungnir when Hibiki punched the poo poo out of Adam at the end.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like the first season a lot, but it's not as good as Symphogear G.

There's a kind of expressionism to the way Symphogear G works - 'realism' is decidedly secondary to emotional effect. The whole thing is like an extended music video. The Symphogears are 'on stage', and their actions are a kind of sophisticated dance.

There's a particular shot in episode 2 that I think is brilliant:

Only Symphogear would have FIS steal the spotlight by literally stealing the spotlight.

There's also a ton of singing, not just relic songs. Everyone but Hibiki gets a performance, and these performances often punctuate dramatic scenes happening elsewhere. The scene where Kirika and Shirabe are singing the Zwei Wing duet while Dr. Ver murders a whole bunch of soldiers stands out in particular.

Kirika is cute, dess

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember G significantly more fondly than S1, but I really ought to go back and rewatch them both at some point. It's kind of unfair to compare them though, given the cumulative effects of both the characters' development and our own developing affection for them. Hibiki was very good this season, but if she had had all the same lines but a different name and design and starred in the first season of a new show, I wouldn't have liked her nearly as much simply because I wouldn't have the context of her relentless heroism all through the previous seasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of the VAs and I believe Kaneko himself have mentioned that they want some kind of redo on S1 - probably as a movie - which would be interesting to see. I wouldn't want them to change much, if any of the plot details, just remove weird stuff like Fine's introduction and make the animation not, uh, S1 of Symphogear.

Eela6 posted:

I like the first season a lot, but it's not as good as Symphogear G.

There's a kind of expressionism to the way Symphogear G works - 'realism' is decidedly secondary to emotional effect. The whole thing is like an extended music video. The Symphogears are 'on stage', and their actions are a kind of sophisticated dance.

There's a particular shot in episode 2 that I think is brilliant:

Only Symphogear would have FIS steal the spotlight by literally stealing the spotlight.

There's also a ton of singing, not just relic songs. Everyone but Hibiki gets a performance, and these performances often punctuate dramatic scenes happening elsewhere. The scene where Kirika and Shirabe are singing the Zwei Wing duet while Dr. Ver murders a whole bunch of soldiers stands out in particular.

Kirika is cute, dess

I can definitely see this, G hast the best directing and, I guess the word would be staging, in the series, but I personally just like S1's tone a lot more, and how it focuses in on the characters. That scene in S1 where Hibiki and Tsubasa talk about if their heroics are just a way for them to hurt themselves is my favorite conversation in the series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah a Season 1 "remastered" edition or movie or whatever would have a REAL good shot at dethroning G atop the pile for me. Hope that comes to fruition.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
S1 isn't perfect, but it's definitely my favorite.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
S1 is way too edgy and awkward and overly ambitious and looks horrible, and it's definitely my favorite.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hibiki's season 1 song is my favorite for her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Hibiki's season 1 song is my favorite for her.

Which? I could see an argument for her second song/Kanade's song, but her first didn't really stay with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Which? I could see an argument for her second song/Kanade's song, but her first didn't really stay with me.

I can't remember the name but it was probably her first one, which she sang while ripping noise in half because they were keeping her from watching the meteor shower with Miku.

• Locked thread