Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just hope even though the balance arc is over we can still find out what the Hogsbottom Three are up to each holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't help but feel like a sizable portion of the diehard TAZ fandom is gonna drop off once the new arc(s) start, and that might not be the worst thing in the world. Just start from 0.

Really? Everyone I follow seems to be very hype for new stuff. Tres Horny Boys wrapped up well enough where it feels like most fans are quite satisfied with it just being one part of the whole and all.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'm pretty sure they also said all the live shows at this point are gonna be Tres Horny Boys so it's like they're gonna be gone completely. I'm pumped for Thursday's release so much. I got a car trip on Friday so I'm gonna listen to that baby the whole way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea, seems most of the fandom is happy to get more fun one-shots like High School Funtimes with THB but interested to see where things go now. Balance ended nicely to give closure so any further storyline stuff would feel a bit like it 'lessens' that ending.

Though hey I'm a super hero dork so maybe I'm just amped for super hero funtimes DM'd by an actual comic writer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I guess I just figured they'd have been so attached to Balance that they wouldn't follow.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffleman_ posted:

I guess I just figured they'd have been so attached to Balance that they wouldn't follow.
You underestimate the dark hunger people have for McElroy content

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
People are, in fact, horny for these boys.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

SpacePig posted:

People are, in fact, horny for these boys.

Insert here the 'EWWW' Travis lets out when Merle is macking on the vines outside the Goldcliff bank.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

El Padrino posted:

Insert here the 'EWWW' Travis lets out when Merle is macking on the vines outside the Goldcliff bank.

I await Clint's first Femme Fatale with a kind of inevitable dread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

clint would definitely play a Battlebabe with the Impossible Reflexes move

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just hope even though the balance arc is over we can still find out what the Hogsbottom Three are up to each holiday.

They live in a dumpster now, where they belong.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Alaois posted:

clint would definitely play a Battlebabe with the Impossible Reflexes move

As everyone should

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Carey Fangbattle clearly was the talented one in that family.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

sexpig by night posted:

Really? Everyone I follow seems to be very hype for new stuff. Tres Horny Boys wrapped up well enough where it feels like most fans are quite satisfied with it just being one part of the whole and all.

As cool as the story was, I think a surprisingly huge chunk of the fanbase really just can't wait to see them try new poo poo so it returns to a more rockport limited style of shorter, more self contained storylines with a bunch of great goofs that may or may not be connected to an overarching narrative rather than a really long story that just keeps going under its own power.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Crystal Kingdom arc hit that perfect middle ground of funny, weird and serious for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nuebot posted:

As cool as the story was, I think a surprisingly huge chunk of the fanbase really just can't wait to see them try new poo poo so it returns to a more rockport limited style of shorter, more self contained storylines with a bunch of great goofs that may or may not be connected to an overarching narrative rather than a really long story that just keeps going under its own power.
I think a huge chunk of the fanbase is invested in the characters, as evidenced by all the cosplay. People in the fanart/fanfiction/cosplay communities like ongoing characters.

e: Also, I liked The Suffering Game, so there.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i hope the rest of it is small style campaigns with no real world ending issues.

also maybe im a crazy person, but i honestly had no emotional investment in any of the characters, including the PC's. i was just here for the jokes.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Nah I'm the same. I like the characters, but I don't think I was ever gonna cry during the finale (that's not a knock against people who did). I get more enjoyment out of stuff like them tormenting the gachapon guy than i do them exploring tragic backstories. Griffin says his next campaign idea is kind of Persona-inspired, so I hope it will be more small-town mystery and less epic apocalypse-averting.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I never very much liked the bits where they're just being mean to someone for no reason. Leon and Angus come to mind. Jenkins too, but subsequent relistens have been more enjoyable, because screw you, Wankins.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

Yea they did a great job with their serious story but I'm very eager to see them do more one shot stuff as they're settling on a new project where hey maybe some stuff will get connected later but for now it'll probably be a goof fest where they try to murder Tom Bodett and hilariously victimize a butler.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'll be honest past eleventh hour I was mostly only half listening, it kind of just lost the ability to hold my attention. Especially the stolen century.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I really liked the Adventure Zone's meta-narrative, but maybe that's a benefit of me having binged the entire series over two weeks right before the finale aired. I didn't have the chance to get impatient.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ariong posted:

I never very much liked the bits where they're just being mean to someone for no reason. Leon and Angus come to mind. Jenkins too, but subsequent relistens have been more enjoyable, because screw you, Wankins.

Yes - especially funny was how Justin and Travis eventually backpedaled and began to treat Angus warmly, but Clint was fully committed to "I hate that little nerd and want him to suffer" for the entire campaign.

Because it is the Internet, I wholly anticipate some minuscule yet hugely vocal section of the fanbase to rail against the show for a while because they're abandoning the Balance arc crew (despite ample warning.) In short order, however, these naysayers will splinter off to create their own "fanon" continuing Tres Horny Boys' adventures, before devolving into petty infighting within weeks and eventually falling apart.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

JethroMcB posted:

In short order, however, these naysayers will splinter off to create their own "fanon" continuing Tres Horny Boys' adventures, before devolving into petty infighting within weeks and eventually falling apart.
(A) you don't have to splinter off from a fandom to create new content, far from it, and (B) the petty infighting starts as soon as there are two fans.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

JT Jag posted:

I really liked the Adventure Zone's meta-narrative, but maybe that's a benefit of me having binged the entire series over two weeks right before the finale aired. I didn't have the chance to get impatient.

All the weakest parts of the Balance Arc are improved by binge-listening. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true of any narrative-based podcast.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'll be honest past eleventh hour I was mostly only half listening, it kind of just lost the ability to hold my attention. Especially the stolen century.

See, I loved the Stolen Century.

:shrug: different strokes

It'll be cool to see how Clint's goes though

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

New Butt Order posted:

All the weakest parts of the Balance Arc are improved by binge-listening. I wouldn't be surprised if this is true of any narrative-based podcast.

This is probably true because by the time the Hunger actually showed up after the Suffering Game, I had completely forgotten they popped up before due to it being nearly 6 months apart if not more. Just like "Huh? What's that thing? I don't remember any of this. Should I know who that is?"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pseudorandom name posted:

Garfield the Deals Cyborg at Cyberpunk Costco

i really need to send this vhs tape of "Extreme Teen Music Videos" that was apparently made to go with the extreme teen bible to a mcelroy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oh no. Why are there Maximum Fun ads in the middle of the good podcasts now? They are the worst ads and it's really hard to skip them without skipping anything good when they're just in the middle of the content!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There always have been

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

No way, I could go through an entire money zone without getting hit by a maximum fun podcast ad. They were always at the end of the episode.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuebot posted:

No way, I could go through an entire money zone without getting hit by a maximum fun podcast ad. They were always at the end of the episode.

I started throwing on old episodes while playing WoW and after listening to like 200 of these things in a short span of time I can tell you that the ads have been in the middle, at the end of the money zone, for a very long time now. When I skip through the money zones in the car I can always pinpoint when the segment was gonna end when I heard non-McElroy voices. Older episodes also have an ad at the end, but those stopped at some point and now they just do the middle.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

suffering game rules now that its done and can be shotgunned in one go because it's the boys at their lowest right before they turn it and the entire tone of the meta narrative around in arms outstretched with one of their first truly selfless heroic group moments. It's good.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I got my friend to listen to mbmbam. He was over 100 episodes in when I asked him about a Final Yahoo and he had no idea what I was talking about.

100 episodes and he immediately quit out on every one of them once the brothers started talking about side projects, never listening through to the end. He had no idea "kiss your dad" was a thing. It blew my mind.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I got my friend to listen to mbmbam. He was over 100 episodes in when I asked him about a Final Yahoo and he had no idea what I was talking about.

100 episodes and he immediately quit out on every one of them once the brothers started talking about side projects, never listening through to the end. He had no idea "kiss your dad" was a thing. It blew my mind.

pack your bags and move away

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:sever:

Is he starting from the beginning or working backwards from recently? Because I don't remember there having been as long of a break between "That's our show" and "Hit me with that final Yahoo" before that went to MaxFun. Hell, even when they had just started on MaxFun, it wasn't as packed as it is today.

e: Also, just in case the conversation starts up, my favorite Final Yahoo is "Maybe if I say this one slow, it one seem as bad. Why... does... my... Vagina smell like Doritos?"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I usually skip the final yahoo. One dumb and funny question they crack up over isn't worth listening to 5 minutes of descriptions of liveshows I'll never go to and plugging podcasts I already listen to. Once I can tell they are firmly in that segment, I turn the episode off.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Is he starting from the beginning or working backwards from recently? Because I don't remember there having been as long of a break between "That's our show" and "Hit me with that final Yahoo" before that went to MaxFun. Hell, even when they had just started on MaxFun, it wasn't as packed as it is today.

e: Also, just in case the conversation starts up, my favorite Final Yahoo is "Maybe if I say this one slow, it one seem as bad. Why... does... my... Vagina smell like Doritos?"

I'm almost out of Maxfun episodes and some of the very old ones have fairly long final breaks where Justin talks about housekeeping, twitter and tshirts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SpacePig posted:

"What's the difference between anorexic and balsamic?" has always been one of my favourites.

I like yours because it's more like "Why. Does. My. vaginasmelllikedoritos?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Started most recent and moving backward. I was showing him the TV show and they ended the live episode with the"kiss your dad" line and he looked at me and said "umm that's not weird or anything". Then the horror dawned on me that he's never heard the line before, nor listened to any final Yahoo ever.

It was super disheartening to explain why he should listen to the end of every episode. But he's going with me to the Milwaukee show in November so he's good.