Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

You can't look at him as a person, you have to exploit him like a commodity and reverse engineer him that way.

Lastgirl please don't make your own Decoding Authoritarians thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lastgirl posted:

it gets better~ (it doesn't except for a brief part about the MRI scan, and the psychology of narratives, the only good part and the one area that the vice segment should've established its foundation on instead and used the alt-right as a parable but Ben is a hack)

https://twitter.com/BMakuch/status/915398055641350144

vice "reporters" are poo poo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

i can't wait for trump to do the post potus speaking circuit. just wish i could go back to college and have him speak at my commencement

i mean

you could

nothing stopping you from collecting bachelors degrees like pokemon

speng31b
May 8, 2010

kaleedity posted:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/915550956825251840

I'm the tiny sliver over 50% of democrats that favor civil liberties

False dilemmas poll weirdly

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

the forums got more broken?
They weren't like this yesterday. Can't even post without quoting someone and deleting the quote lol (no reply button)

lowtax is deleting the 5 button to silence the trump thread

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's cool that they're ambitious or whatever but this seriously poo poo you should have learned in even a mediocre journalism program.

"These Neo-Nazis that are radicalizing everyone are just so dapper and can really connect with their audiences" :swoon:

white sauce has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Oct 4, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't watch or read Vice.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

some of the vice news stuff isnt that bad tbh. the analysis is usually pretty terrible shallow poo poo but the filmography is some of the best

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

that said a vice reporter calling thernovich smart might change my mind about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

vice "reporters" are poo poo

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/908734417547472896

quote:

Plot-wise, The Great Gatsby—like so much realist narrative fiction—is easily boiled down to a handful of bullshit tacked around some semblance of Character Motivations. Nothing substantial really happens—and not in a conceptually compelling kind of way, like Gaddis or DeLillo or Delany, or in a way that nonetheless brings the text alive with nuanced language, like Gass or Stein or Morrison. Basically, we just follow Nick around as he is witness to infidelity on the part of his cousin's husband, later to become drawn in as a sort of wingman for Gatsby to try to help him get in said cousin's pants. There's a bunch of parties where Nick is mostly a bystander, periodically interjecting whitewashed observation as people bicker over relationships and Gatsby blathers amidst his privilege about how he was in the war once. Eventually, there's a car crash and some murder, but even that seems only there to force the story to a head, to wield its point—which, I guess, is that life is short and no one's happy? Well, no poo poo.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

fits my needs posted:

As for what may have set Paddock off, retired FBI profiler Jim Clemente speculated that there was “some sort of major trigger in his life — a great loss, a breakup, or maybe he just found out he has a terminal disease.”

Clemente said a “psychological autopsy” may be necessary to try to establish the motive. If the suicide didn’t destroy Paddock’s brain, experts may even find a neurological disorder or malformation, he said.

He said there could be a genetic component to the slaughter: Paddock’s father was a bank robber who was on the FBI’s most-wanted list in the 1960s and was diagnosed a psychopath.

“The genetics load the gun, personality and psychology aim it, and experiences pull the trigger, typically,” Clemente said.

lol what is this

paddock has forgotten the face of his father

Serf
May 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Don't watch or read Vice.

waypoint is good

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
ppl who are obsessive about periscoping constantly really need to be speaking behind doors with a licensed therapist instead

it's generally garbage as well and only useful to watch live tragedies unfold

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://archive.org/details/calasus_000061

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

white sauce posted:

:cripes:

Holy gently caress these journalists don't loving get it.

THEYRE WHITE SUPREMACISTS. THEYRE GOING TO ACT LIKE GENTLEMEN AROUND THE MEDIA. THIS DOESNT MEAN THEYRE GOOD GUYS.

lol vice, journalists~

the next time people say that media doesn't enable fascists by letting these jackals swindle them and masquerade with a human skin stretched over their evils by taking advantage of the interview to spread their brand gospel further...

maybe actually punch them

FactsAreUseless posted:

These are the idiots who let themselves get manipulated by every single one of their subjects. They're so fascinated by celebrity that the minute a famous person is nice to them they go "OH WOW HOW NEAT"

JUST ASKING QUESTIONS MAYNE *watches traffic climb and clicks increase*

its a lovely format, but hey Vice gotta hustle too

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

They weren't like this yesterday. Can't even post without quoting someone and deleting the quote lol (no reply button)

it's a sign. go outside and enjoy the sun or dig through a dumpster I don't care

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

now hitler, the question everybody has been asking since you invaded poland and france and started sending people to death camps... what's your favorite magazine?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

is ther a nameto distinguish the act of flipping the bird with your index finger slightly protruding vs. all other fingers curled into a fish

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/915265909199183872

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

BeOSPOS posted:

I don't care

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
what are these “tough questions” they were asking cernovich anyways

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

jarofpiss posted:

it's still baffling to me that this guy didn't just wander off and get lost in the woods or something 45 years ago he is so goddamned dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fumChF0Skg

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Serf posted:

waypoint is good

to that i say, "no way"point :twisted:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Significant Ant posted:

lmfao at vice asking tough questions

motherfuckers are literally hipster/scenester tourists. they go into places ignore all context and comment on how cool that poo poo is while high or drunk

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

safely sodomized posted:

some of the vice news stuff isnt that bad tbh. the analysis is usually pretty terrible shallow poo poo but the filmography is some of the best

i like their creative groups, and i feel like its more of a collective rather than a syndicated outlet so you are going to get some lovely uninspired hacks and some really insightful, challenging people in that group

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Significant Ant posted:

chair
church
cherish
cherub
change

to say these words aloud

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

BeOSPOS posted:

it's a sign. go outside and enjoy the sun or dig through a dumpster I don't care

I'm stuck inside the posting factory for now. I'll have to be resourceful and make the best of it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The solution to the drake equation is that inevitably on the path to interstellar settlements every civilization invents the internet and elects donald trump.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Lowtax's eyesight is going

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Significant Ant posted:

someday trump is going to die pooping on a toilet in the middle of a tweet and they’re going to dissect him to only find out the horror show made by his internal organs like that one austrian body builder guy

smaller trump in a dr robotnik like control chair: who dares open my sanctum

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lastgirl posted:

it gets better~ (it doesn't except for a brief part about the MRI scan, and the psychology of narratives, the only good part and the one area that the vice segment should've established its foundation on instead and used the alt-right as a parable but Ben is a hack)

and he pissed off Vic!

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

that gatsby article was written by blake butler

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/18/354592085/300-000-000-is-a-horrific-poetic-anti-ode-to-america

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sir Tonk posted:

and he pissed off Vic!

its almost as if vice beyond art, lifestyle, and fashion is filled with hacks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

God vice sucks. its either mindless hedonist poo poo(open relationships/cheating, taking huge amounts of drugs at once is cool and good, opps i got aids) or dumb "woke" poo poo like that, mixed with they rarely call the real monsters(loving nazis) out on anything. its kinda sad when their loving video game site is the smartest articles of all of them. i mean their war tourism days were bad but at least they talked about stu

Serf posted:

waypoint is good

yeah. it may have kleppick who is dumbass, but Austin Walker and the rest are pretty good. they make genuinely interesting articles that dont turn into weird screeds like the rest of vice or in game terms polygon.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

are you trying to tell me that algorithms are not perfect?

or are they just telling us what we want to hear

:thunk:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Significant Ant posted:

"What is the second-longest river in the United States?"

"What's the gas station brand of cigars known for their mild and sweet flavor?"

"You know that Phil Collins song everyone knows he ripped off from Prince?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Vice is like rich trust fund kid journalists that can afford to be paid $40k a year to do whatever bullshit.

• Locked thread