Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Silent Hill 1 is incredibly easy too.

I mean yes, but if SH1 is Super Mario World then SH2 is New Super Mario Bros. You can sleep through that poo poo.

Also the bosses in SH2 are a huge let down. First Pyramid Head you just avoid him for a minute. Abstract daddy (best name btw) and hanging flesh sacks(?) just move in a straight line in a 5x5 room. Eddie is Cybil but nowhere near as creepy or interesting. Same with Mary, it's Incubus but in a well lit room with a dumb attack.

I'm having a rough time forcing my way through SH3 as well. Like there's a fairy tale segment again but instead of a boss it's a harmless lump of flesh that just leaves off screen when you solve the puzzle.

SH1 was the only one I beat new so maybe it's just a "I needed to be there thing" but I don't think I like the series very much tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Important question: are charge shots better when you hold down a button and then let go or when you stop firing for a second or two and then hit the button again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Important question: are charge shots better when you hold down a button and then let go or when you stop firing for a second or two and then hit the button again.

Hold the button, easily.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mean I slept through SH1 bosses too except for the lizard one, and I only died there once or twice because of how damaging him actually worked.

Like I don't think anyone is saying that mechanically SH bosses are good or that the combat in general is even good- it's all about atmosphere/characters/story for me. I also only played SH1 and SH2 for the first time last year fwiw.

If the games aren't your jam though then that's cool too.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 4, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hold down a button

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

the latter, if the expectation is that shooting is something you're doing a lot of, like a shmup or something especially if it has autofire, the former if not

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Action platformer e.g. Mega Man = hold down.

Scrolling shooter with auto-fire = wait to charge, hit fire

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lets hang out posted:

oh thats why it didnt come out in english

i thought this was because the guy who joins you in the middle east chapter is a terrorist whose weapon is gundam-sized roadside bombs. not like his special weapon, his ONLY weapon

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly it was probably never on the cards in the first place, I think there are more Front Missions games that never got released outside Japan than did.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I really wanna sit down and finish a playthrough of Front Mission 1 one of these days, I really love turn based tactical mech combat where you're outfitting the mechs between missions and getting melodramatic exposition

Oh wait Battletech is right around the corner, isn't it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There's rocket launcher in warframe which is hold and release and it's one of the most fun game guns ever made, so that's the way to go for that kind of weapon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
somebody released a fan translation for this literally just yesterday

https://files.catbox.moe/wuiqdv.mp4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

finally the rich story of wrecking crew can be told

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Taintrunner posted:

Man I really wanna sit down and finish a playthrough of Front Mission 1 one of these days, I really love turn based tactical mech combat where you're outfitting the mechs between missions and getting melodramatic exposition

Oh wait Battletech is right around the corner, isn't it
I enjoyed sending Peewee to get destroyed each map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mario went into his room to pick up his magic hammer, ready to pound that motherfucker Bowser into the dirt.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Hi Games Thread, for the past year I've spent the majority of my time preparing for and taking some professional exams. My final exam ends Friday at 5:00PM. After which I plan on starting a hardy veg-out and gaming weekend to kick off a few weeks of relaxed time wasting cause my brains very nearly fried.

I'm looking at maybe getting Prey, Persona 5, or Original Sin 2. Prey is very much a game I would like. I've never played a Persona but 5 has me curious and I think I could get a copy for my PS3 for 20-30 bucks at a local game store. Finally, most of my limited gaming over the past year has been cRPGs (Baldur's Gate and Shadowrun) and I'm sure a goty edition of OS2 will be released, on sale, sometime in the next year. So I think that narrows things down to Prey or Persona. I'm turning to you, Games Thread, to help me decide. Try something I know I'll like or dabble in an anime world that people seem to really like but I know nothing about?

I may also fall back on my backlog. There's too much gaming and not enough time!

Some highlights of my backlog: Bayo 2, Hyrule Warrios, Dragon's Dogma, FF 8, 9, and T, Systek Shock 2, Bioshock 2, Uncharted 2,and Red Dead Redemption.

I don't know that I should be buying yet another game. :ohdear:

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 4, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Go with something you know you'll like. This is supposed to be a reward to relax after a stressful time so it should be something you're really excited about.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
A-ranked all the Isle 1 bosses in Cuphead and had a blast. I'm not sure if I can 100% this game but I'm drat well gonna try.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Heyo people, what's shakin in the octopath chatters thread

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

thinkin' about that dead space

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah, im also thinking about the inside of trump's freaking noggin :twisted:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

yeah, im also thinking about the inside of trump's freaking noggin :twisted:

He said dead space not head space

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

Took me a second to realize this was a general question and not related to talking about Silent Hill.

"What the hell can you charge in Silent Hill?!"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, especially since iirc you can charge up melee weapon attacks in 4.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I had a weird dream last night where the concept of death was going to kill me unless I drew pictures of peter griffin for him, but every drawing I made ended up turning into a drawing of homer simpson instead

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

zack parsons wrote a couple of early episodes for welcome to nightvale

its also made by goon and former mod maxmona

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/house_house_/status/915460576872038405

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

gently caress that goose

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Are there any genres the Mario gang haven't gotten into yet? What would those games look like?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

Are there any genres the Mario gang haven't gotten into yet? What would those games look like?

The time is right for a journey of self-discovery starring Mario and the gang as angsty twee teens coming of age in the Mushroom Kingdom in a new episodic adventure.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

Mario Souls

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Super Mario 128 tech demo revived as a battle royale game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

PantsBandit posted:

Mario, assisted by a variety of gadgets, slips into Bowser's fortress to prevent catastrophe and sabotage the elite Koopa Korps. Mario Gear Solid + Rabbids

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Mario Souls

hit the jump button and there's like this herculean windup before he actually jumps but the damage upon landing is staggering and brutal

all "woo-hoo"s are lowered by an octave

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TBQH I would sooner play a cutesy Dark Souls with Mario aesthetics than yet another ~grimdark masocore~ game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

The time is right for a journey of self-discovery starring Mario and the gang as angsty twee teens coming of age in the Mushroom Kingdom in a new episodic adventure.

Honestly I think an episodic series of Mario could be amazing. Some light combat, similar to the Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario games, and then just a goofy romp in the Mushroom Kingdom. When Mario games have writing it tends to be very good, so I'd be totally open to a more story driven experience.

Just don't let Telltale touch it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm guessing a Nintendo Souls would probably be Zelda related

maybe you'd play as Ganondorf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Honestly I think an episodic series of Mario could be amazing. Some light combat, similar to the Mario and Luigi/Paper Mario games, and then just a goofy romp in the Mushroom Kingdom. When Mario games have writing it tends to be very good, so I'd be totally open to a more story driven experience.

Just don't let Telltale touch it.

Do you jump on the Goomba? [Y/N]

If yes: You find out the goomba had a wife and kids, was down on his luck just trying to make ends meet.
If no: Luigi comes up behind you and tramples the goomba to death anyway.

• Locked thread