Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Walrus posted:

So *many typos

And "there's" should be "there are" :eng101: :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

On the topic of paper strip effects. At the time of watching episode 8, when the woman at the radio station is killed by a woodsman, the close up of her death and her face gave me the image of a close up on the "film" and then blood and then a wobbling, rippling kind of effect as the image just tears up/falls apart. It felt visceral.

Also the scenes with diane's tulpa seemed papery. She says she knows, Dougie tulpa seemed confused, and his disintegration is more physically coherent (hands shrink, weight drops, then it all goes to hell) than hers.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3Ta4Dlx2M

at least 4 years wait for a season 4, minimum. audrey? figure it out for yourself. good video.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ill see you in 4 years

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I did figure it out! I want to know more about the franchise expansions of Norma's Double R

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, someone also noticed the weird noise, and slowed down the clip properly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI1eeIb-qlU

It's Lynch talking to the gaffer or something. Even weirder, Sarah Palmer's face seems to turn into David Bowie's face from time to time.

Here is another interview question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abfXvXFXvD8

I've also been watching An Idiot Abroad, and Karl Pilkington actually says something really amazing about the American Dream:

Karl Pilkington posted:

Everyone thinks you should be happy. It's all about living the dream. If you're living the dream, how do you know you're awake or if you're asleep? If it's exactly the same. That's what I quite like. I quite like having bad dreams. You wake up and go, "Thank god for that." If your dreams are better than your life, what is the point? Your dreams should never be better than your real life.

We live inside an American Dream.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 30, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
that poo poo's creepy as gently caress whatever it is

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I saw Briggs and Leland too

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just to clarify, with the Richard thing - in Judy's pocket dimension, Judy has made Laura's 'essence' (outside of linear time after his failed attempt to undo the timeline) into Carrie and put her in the waitress reality to hide her. Cooper and DIane go into the dimension, but Judy tries to remake them into Richard and Linda to stop them. Diane becomes consumed by the Linda identity and dissapears. Cooper resists becoming Richard but slowly starts forget who is he and become Richard. Cooper, slowly becoming consumed by the Ricard peronsa, takes Laura to the house, they remember who they are, Laura screams and the dimension collapses.

Did I get that right?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I think this goes a long way to explaining the Phillip Jeffries teapot stuff. In schizophrenia, people often feel they are being manipulated by an "influencing machine", a device they can't see but which is used by unknown forces to influence their decisions and the things they see in a kind of mind control. The schizophrenic doesn't hallucinate three dimensionally, but sees patterns in two dimensional surfaces that appear "projected" by this unseen machine, the painting above depicts is. Freud thought that this was because the schizophrenic mistakenly locates the source of their desires and wishes outside of their body. Invisible forces like electricity sometimes play a role in their fantasies. This is part of an unrelated critical theory article I read the other day.

I think this is what Jeffries and the place where the Fireman lives is supposed to be (was it ever confirmed that this is the "white lodge" or is that just something people kept repeating until everyone believed it?). It would explain the sense of paranoia in the series, the lodges are a schizophrenic hallucination of outside control.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

I think this is what Jeffries and the place where the Fireman lives is supposed to be (was it ever confirmed that this is the "white lodge" or is that just something people kept repeating until everyone believed it?).

Jeffries lives in a motel inside the room above a gas station, and the gas station is a portal/part of the Black Lodge. As for the Fireman, who knows, but it seems that he was malnipulating Cooper, so the only lodge person who actually seemed to have Cooper's best interests in mind was MIKE.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

OldMemes posted:

Just to clarify, with the Richard thing - in Judy's pocket dimension, Judy has made Laura's 'essence' (outside of linear time after his failed attempt to undo the timeline) into Carrie and put her in the waitress reality to hide her. Cooper and DIane go into the dimension, but Judy tries to remake them into Richard and Linda to stop them. Diane becomes consumed by the Linda identity and dissapears. Cooper resists becoming Richard but slowly starts forget who is he and become Richard. Cooper, slowly becoming consumed by the Ricard peronsa, takes Laura to the house, they remember who they are, Laura screams and the dimension collapses.

Did I get that right?

I agree with this except I don't think it's Judy's dimension, it's the Fireman's.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

OldMemes posted:

Did I get that right?

The issue with this interpretation is that he introduces himself as Dale Cooper at the door, and obviously seemed confused at who answered the door, so he never had an issue remembering who he was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm finally watching this Q2 fan edit of Fire Walk With Me with The Missing Pieces added back in.

"You notice what was pinned to the dress?"
"A blue rose?"
"Good. But I can't tell you about that."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...but who is the dreamer?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

kuddles posted:

The issue with this interpretation is that he introduces himself as Dale Cooper at the door, and obviously seemed confused at who answered the door, so he never had an issue remembering who he was.

Judy's world seems to have an effect on him, as he seems to be flickering in and out of his identity and into a different persona. It's noticable after he pretty snaps straight back into classic Coop after the coma, he's a lot quiter and colder at times during the waitress dimension - he seems really cruel during the diner scene. It's not that he's become Richard, but staying Cooper seems to be causing him a lot of strain and willpower. Diane didn't, so Judy managed to completely turn her into Linda.If Laura hadn't have remembered and scremed, he probably woudn't have to able to resist being remade as Richard much longer.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
read a neat theory that nadio is not diane and nadio's appearance in the sherrif's office and in episode 3 both mislead coop

nadio pulls a lever and puts coop into dougie instead of where he was supposed to go

i bet it was the fireman beating down the door in episode 3 trying to get in and save coop from nadio

nadio might be judy!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"it is in our house now"

Slum Village
Oct 6, 2013

Baloogan posted:

read a neat theory that nadio is not diane and nadio's appearance in the sherrif's office and in episode 3 both mislead coop

nadio pulls a lever and puts coop into dougie instead of where he was supposed to go

i bet it was the fireman beating down the door in episode 3 trying to get in and save coop from nadio

nadio might be judy!

Hmm...the slashing sounds that Nido makes trying to prevent Cooper from going towards the outlet seem to be the same as the sounds of the glass box Experiment killing the loving couple.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Then why did the fireman tell Andy to save/protect Naido?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
andy stuck her in prison

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Baloogan posted:

andy stuck her in prison

For her safety, after saying she needed to be protected. You can also see Naido react to Cooper's voice when they first meet in the opening episodes, she touches his face with compassion, as if she recognizes him. There's also no explanation for where the real Diane is if she isn't her. She's Diane.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
why does she look like she does? no one else gets as transformed by the lodges

How did diane enter the lodge?

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is there any proof that Judy created the dimension that Cooper and Diane went to?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Is there any proof that Judy created the dimension that Cooper and Diane went to?

if she did she was pretty dumb putting her name on the diner where laura worked

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i guess the idea would be that its where laura goes after we are lead to believe sarah disappears her.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

How did diane enter the lodge?

Evil Coop took her to above the convenience store after raping her.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Walrus posted:

i guess the idea would be that its where laura goes after we are lead to believe sarah disappears her.

uhhh i dont remember sarah disappearing laura, i remember laura disappearing and sarah screaming and trying to smash her picture

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
For more sound chat, I rewatched 17 last night and noticed that right when Jeffries transports Cooper back in time, the sound drops out and is replaced by the exact same pulsing (ceiling fan?) sound that's heard when Sarah is running down the stairs in Coop's very first dream in S1E02. I just checked and you can briefly hear that same sound in FWWM at the exact moment that Cooper is apparently transported to the past (when Leland is looking out the window at Laura driving away with James, which is the first thing we see in ep 17 after Coop goes back in time).

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Volte posted:

For more sound chat, I rewatched 17 last night and noticed that right when Jeffries transports Cooper back in time, the sound drops out and is replaced by the exact same pulsing (ceiling fan?) sound that's heard when Sarah is running down the stairs in Coop's very first dream in S1E02. I just checked and you can briefly hear that same sound in FWWM at the exact moment that Cooper is apparently transported to the past (when Leland is looking out the window at Laura driving away with James, which is the first thing we see in ep 17 after Coop goes back in time).

wow. what? wow. I mean.. huh? what?! wow.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kaworu posted:

uhhh i dont remember sarah disappearing laura, i remember laura disappearing and sarah screaming and trying to smash her picture

wiki says it's the other way around I'm at work so I can't check.

Sarah wails inside her home and she tries to destroy Laura's homecoming photo.

Cooper leads Laura through the woods, but she disappears and he hears her screams.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Baloogan posted:

why does she look like she does? no one else gets as transformed by the lodges

Philip Jeffries wasn't always a teapot.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 3, 2017

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

OldMemes posted:

Philip Jeffries wasn't always a teapot.

David Lynch clearly stated that Bowie isn't a tea pot. He's a tin machine.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

👍

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

And More posted:

David is just trying to mislead us. He's definitely a teapot. :11tea:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Is he short and stout?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/913123577561538561

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

And More posted:

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

You could even say Philip is...floating in a tin can.