Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

That's because SteamVR isn't the one using the sensors. It only cares about what Oculus tells it. If you change your sensors, you have to re-run the sensor setup no matter what.

I just found it funny that oculus 100% reset the setup. Like logged me the gently caress out of home, made me rerun the setup like a new user, setup guardian again. The entire setup again. not just "oh hey we gotta fix a sensor" deal.

If thats normal, Simply adding a single camera, then woah, crazy.

I get that steamVR "uses what oculus tells it' but remember, you had to setup steamVR at least once. It didnt lose its poo poo adding another "thing" to the system. Its just crazy to me that it treated me like I just bought the thing.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I really wish people stopped recommending this card. It's really not that great for this purpose.

Yeah thankfully a quick uninstall of the drivers sorted me out or I would be looking for another option. Thankfully I really only needed a single extra usb 3.0 so lucky me everything worked out.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I started having some issues with the Startech card with extenders, but fixed it by uninstalling the drivers I found. Don't know why I installed them, Windows likes it just fine as is.

So basically, Same solution that fixed mine. Yay for microsoft drivers!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I bought a rosewill card and haven't had any issues.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

EbolaIvory posted:

I just found it funny that oculus 100% reset the setup. Like logged me the gently caress out of home, made me rerun the setup like a new user, setup guardian again. The entire setup again. not just "oh hey we gotta fix a sensor" deal.

If thats normal, Simply adding a single camera, then woah, crazy.

That isn't normal. You usually just need to go Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Sensor Setup. It identifies the connected sensors, then you hold the Touch sensor in the air and pull the trigger, then you point it towards the monitor, then you draw the Guardian boundaries, then you put on the headset and calibrate the center/height. And then you are done.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Nalin posted:

That isn't normal. You usually just need to go Settings > Devices > Configure Rift > Sensor Setup. It identifies the connected sensors, then you hold the Touch sensor in the air and pull the trigger, then you point it towards the monitor, then you draw the Guardian boundaries, then you put on the headset and calibrate the center/height. And then you are done.

Didn't think so.

I still think even the process you describe is too much. More so since all i did was add a third sensor. I did not change my 360 setup (other 2 cameras, same place, room corners), or play space. I just bolted another camera to the corner of the room in front. I figure they MIGHT just make me run through it all with whatever was setup first and let me hit skip. Nope. Having to redo the guardian setup sucks dick, more so having to slam some quick bullshit boundry up, then go re-import your old saved walls using a third party app since you cant just tag the corners of the room with 4 dots and have it figure it out grrrrr...

*I know this is super whine, I just feel like this shouldnt be this complicated for an end user. Sorry. Just arrrggggg!

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 4, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Didn't think so.

I still think even the process you describe is too much. More so since all i did was add a third sensor. I did not change my 360 setup (other 2 cameras, same place, room corners), or play space. I just bolted another camera to the corner of the room in front. I figure they MIGHT just make me run through it all with whatever was setup first and let me hit skip. Nope. Having to redo the guardian setup sucks dick, more so having to slam some quick bullshit boundry up, then go re-import your old saved walls using a third party app since you cant just tag the corners of the room with 4 dots and have it figure it out grrrrr...

*I know this is super whine, I just feel like this shouldnt be this complicated for an end user. Sorry. Just arrrggggg!

Stop whining. Oculus has to map your sensors locations, its height relative to the others, where they overlap and handoff and a ton of other stuff. How the hell is it supposed to know that if you just randomly plug one in? It has done no calibration of that sensor nor does it have a map of what that sensor can see to combine with the map the other two sensors can see.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's not unreasonable to say it's a hassle, that's part of the reason why inside out tracking is so necessary. Put on the headset, spin around, done.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It's not unreasonable to say it's a hassle, that's part of the reason why inside out tracking is so necessary. Put on the headset, spin around, done.

Yeah. I'd not bitch if I was moving from front face to room scale or something. But my play space did not move, 2 sensors did not move, and I was already in room scale. The system did not need to reset my guardian or make me have to redraw that whole nonsense. I get the whole needing to "setup" the third sensor to a point. The controller capture part? Cool, Makes sense. But going through the whole deal guardian poo poo again felt really frustrating from an end user side. Thank christ for that guardian editor.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Stop whining. Oculus has to map your sensors locations, its height relative to the others, where they overlap and handoff and a ton of other stuff. How the hell is it supposed to know that if you just randomly plug one in? It has done no calibration of that sensor nor does it have a map of what that sensor can see to combine with the map the other two sensors can see.

If a camera is already tracking the position of an object and you add another tracked camera pointed at that already tracked object, you can then infer the position of the camera based on it. At least that should be technically possible, I'm not sure if Constellation has issues preventing this from happening.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

It shouldn't, and yet is. I swear to god every time I've ever tried to demo VR for people there's like 30 minutes of me trying to figure out why the tracking is hosed up. Between fiddly rear end USB ports, bullshit "rotate your sensor as indicated" during setup, controllers randomly not registering... creates a great first impression, let me tell you.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 4, 2017

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How huge is your playspace you can't spend 20 seconds tracing it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

It shouldn't, and yet is. I swear to god every time I've ever tried to demo VR for people there's like 30 minutes of me trying to figure out why the tracking is hosed up. Between fiddly rear end USB ports, bullshit "rotate your sensor as indicated" during setup, controllers randomly not registering... creates a great first impression, let me tell you.

Yeah I cannot imagine taking a rift to someones house to demo it. Not unless you were going to stick to front facing. I'm so thankful to have a dedicated space.

PCOS Bill posted:

How huge is your playspace you can't spend 20 seconds tracing it?

9x9

Also, the time it takes me to dick with the guardian editor (Which thankfully is 3 clicks now that I have a saved space). It only takes you 20 seconds to draw your space? Took me at least a min or two to get the whole space covered in a big ol square

Fun fact. Could not skip guardian setup and just slam my old settings in. Newp, Have to do the wall drawing poo poo first. Fun fun. Its fit and finish complaints. As an end user this is annoying poo poo.

SwissCM posted:

If a camera is already tracking the position of an object and you add another tracked camera pointed at that already tracked object, you can then infer the position of the camera based on it. At least that should be technically possible, I'm not sure if Constellation has issues preventing this from happening.

Kinda how I expected it to work for the end consumer. And again if I was moving TO room scale it would have made sense. I wasnt. I just was adding a sensor.

It makes me giggle how hardcore some of you guys defend really bad design choices. This is basic poo poo they could fix. It really hampers the normal end user exp and if you want this poo poo to continue to go main stream, this kind of stuff needs some polish. Not everyones a bunch of goons willing to dick with things all the time.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 4, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It takes me about 20-30 seconds to trace my 9x11' space.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
We're super nerds who set up stupid helmets and rearranged furniture or, in my case, chopped my bed in half. We're not normal consumers. If you need to redo setup a lot most people would just get annoyed and end up not using it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

EbolaIvory posted:

So this USB card.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMICA

Was recommended.
Its drivers, cause disconnects. (Sensor + Headset)
If you end up buying this card, getting everything setup, and having this problem. Uninstalling the fresco drivers actually fixed the issue. Oculus home says "oh lawdy update your USB drivers!" but it works fine, and now does not disconnect. Yay.

How odd though. Maybe its chipset + Card related. Either way, IF you end up with a Fresco card doing that poo poo, uninstall and go MS base USB drivers.

I bring this all up because I finally said gently caress it and got a third sensor and "Had" to upgrade my usb. This card was recommended to me by multiple people who swore by it and had no problems and I also feel like this thread might have pointed at it at some point. Who knows, Hopefully this helps someone.

Yeah, this came up much earlier in the thread and definitely bears repeating and should probably be in the OP by this point. If you get the Inatek USB card, try using it without updating the drivers first. If it runs fine, leave it, because updating the drivers royally screwed things up for me until I uninstalled them and made them use the default Windows ones again.

Speaking of which, does anyone run the Rift without using a USB card? My friend's getting one and has enough USB 3.0's on his PC so he opted not to get the card. I don't know if I should insist he gets it as well - I've heard using mainboard 3.0's can be a bit flawed.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 4, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's a hands-on with the Samsung headset on roadtovr: https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-odyssey-windows-vr-mixed-reality-headset-hands-on-preview/
Their tl;dr:

Higher resolution: 1,440 x 1,600 vs. 1,440 x 1,440 (per eye)
Higher performance display: OLED vs. LCD
Wider field of view: 110 degrees vs. ~95
Integrated audio: AKG headphones + volume buttons vs. ‘bring your own’
Hardware IPD adjustment

Also
* Had issues getting the headset to fit perfectly
* The screen is sharper than all headsets but still has SDE, loving pentile :argh:. It might actually be lower effective resolution than RGB
* Controllers are modified and are more ergonomic, tracking still has some issues

So it seems pretty good but not perfect, though at this point I'd probably want to try all of them back to back before choosing. Also there's still the LG one coming up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Songbearer posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone run the Rift without using a USB card? My friend's getting one and has enough USB 3.0's on his PC so he opted not to get the card. I don't know if I should insist he gets it as well - I've heard using mainboard 3.0's can be a bit flawed.

I do. I originally had no end of problems (video - thank god i don't have to deal with this anymore) but I traced it to some RAM incompatibility.

I'm on an ASUS Z170-AR board, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one in the thread doing it. Someone helpfully said that they were running it too when I was having issues.

I'm only running two sensors, mind, but I think that other person was one three?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Also while we're bitching about Oculus, the fact that you can't do a lot of the setup stuff in the HMD is ridiculous. I'm extremely sick of clicking through the set up for the fourth time with my Rift half on my head and my controllers dangling off my wrists because for some reason this must be done with a mouse.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Boxman posted:

I do. I originally had no end of problems (video - thank god i don't have to deal with this anymore) but I traced it to some RAM incompatibility.

I'm on an ASUS Z170-AR board, and I know for a fact I'm not the only one in the thread doing it. Someone helpfully said that they were running it too when I was having issues.

I'm only running two sensors, mind, but I think that other person was one three?

Probably me you are talking about. I'm running without a card on an Asus Z170-A. I haven't had any major USB related problems and I'm running off of passive 10 foot extensions on the HMD and 2 of the 3 sensors. One of my sensors is plugged in to a 2.0 port. I do have one sensor that sometimes pops up in 2.0 mode even though it's on a 3.0 port but it doesn't actually affect tracking in any way.

The cable from my rift developed a problem though, from the day I bought it there was a kink in it where the clip holds it to the strap on the side of the HMD. Eventually a wire broke in the cable right at that spot causing constant windows usb connected/usb disconnected sounds but never affected the functionality of the HMD. If I bent the cable right at the spot and held it that way under the clip the disconnections stopped so it was definitely a problem with the cable.

I contacted oculus to try to get the cable replaced and they made me do a ton of troubleshooting steps including sending them logs, taking pictures, etc. They say they suspect the connection port in the HMD is the problem and not the cable for some reason so they insisted upon me sending the HMD to them instead. They say they'll send me a new HMD and cable as a replacement. I sent it to them a week ago and haven't heard from them since. It's annoying since I know it's just the cable but whatever.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahahaha holy jesus if this is what we can expect from Microsoft's biggest games property at the launch of their mixed reality headsets I don't see how it's not already dead in the water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRoBezMrF3M

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

ahahaha holy jesus if this is what we can expect from Microsoft's biggest games property at the launch of their mixed reality headsets I don't see how it's not already dead in the water

Lmao, what the poo poo?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
Wow it's like I'm really playing a Point Blank mini game in my room!!!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I've played some fake arcade cabinets in open world games with more gameplay than that.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
How does inside out tracking work with setting up some sort of guardian system? It would be great to not have to worry about external sensors, but I also don't want to punch my tv which is a few feet from my boundary.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Did they forget they can render actual enemies and don't have the space limitations that a real arcade does?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6eRqMiAxQ0

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did they forget they can render actual enemies and don't have the space limitations that a real arcade does?

I was expecting some clever twist where a wall blows out and actual Covenant invade the training session. Glad they continue to underwhelm at every opportunity.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
"FEEL like you are an actual recruit in the Halo universe and while we can show you a 3D rendered grunt at the beginning you will actually be shooting 2D ones on a big TV. Sorry military budget cuts."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Songbearer posted:

The issue is USB bandwidth, which is dictated by controllers, not ports.

That said, running in 2.0 mode is actually quite effective now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Look what Tested has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjiReFuQhs

EDIT
Alright so the controllers aren't identical, they are done by the manufactures because they mention the 'Samsung' one vs the other ones. The Windows Mixed Reality store thing is limited to Microsoft headsets, Vive and Oculus aren't invited lmao

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 4, 2017

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So at this point one has to assume that nobody working at Microsoft is allowed any communication with the outside world, right? That's the only explanation for them constantly showing up with the lamest poo poo going "Eh? Eh? Did we blow your mind?"

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GhostDog posted:

So at this point one has to assume that nobody working at Microsoft is allowed any communication with the outside world, right? That's the only explanation for them constantly showing up with the lamest poo poo going "Eh? Eh? Did we blow your mind?"

It's what they have (remember their headset only runs funky UWP/WinStore VR builds right now), but holy hell they should've paid 100k to have gotten Space Pirate trainer or anything better than that. I'm sure their looking at Business VR more than personal VR but yeah this looks like junk.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Super Dude posted:

How does inside out tracking work with setting up some sort of guardian system? It would be great to not have to worry about external sensors, but I also don't want to punch my tv which is a few feet from my boundary.

I don't believe there is any intention to have an kind of guardian with the Microsoft MR. I'm not sure it would be feasible to have a guardian with inside out Visual only tracking. They could pretty easily add a system like Kintect/Iphone X to do distance tracking with IR transmitters. I believe they have that on Hololens but not on these MR headsets.

The lack of any kind of guardian and incredibly flimsy controllers is a horrible combination. I expect a rev 2 of the controllers within months that makes the stem like 5X as think.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The Walrus posted:

Well this guy was impressed :downs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIC0mk7I63A

e: actually don't watch that dumb video, but it's a guy who never used VR before jizzing his pants over the thing

BMan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 4, 2017

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

pretty soft girl posted:

Actually I just thought about this, Namco where are my VR ported collections of time crisis and point blank I will spend any amount of money

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pretty soft girl posted:

Actually I just thought about this, Namco where are my VR ported collections of time crisis and point blank I will spend any amount of money

Retro Arcade Neon. Enjoy, you're welcome.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Bwahaha, a "mixed-reality headset that only does VR."

Microsoft at its best.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I thought at first it was a bad mixed reality because why else would you play that kind of lovely black and blue game, except to maybe showcase how mixed reality could work? But no, lol, it's just really bad VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

Time crisis work good in that? I keep seeing you have to tinker but if there's easy to drive download packs that would be dope

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really hope DCC gets back to development on New Retro Arcade Neon at some point, seems like they dropped it around March to focus on their (kinda terrible-looking) early access shooter. A couple weeks ago I bought NRA, dove in, and hit a lot of bad, hard bugs in emulation and video playback that made me return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The Walrus posted:

This looks amazing. But how does the lack of ROMs work with the multiplayer component? Does everyone need the same ROM set dropped into a directory somewhere? Or can everyone play if the host has it? The latter feels too good to be true.