Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Mel Mudkiper posted:

someone listened to marketplace this morning

I just used a bloomberg terminal to look at holders a month ago to see who was going to be left holding the bag on that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Time posted:

I just used a bloomberg terminal to look at holders a month ago to see who was going to be left holding the bag on that poo poo

Oh

well anyways it was on marketplace this morning :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Fun Puerto Rico fact: the model I made for one of my clients to analyze their projected loss exposure had to exclude PR from the analysis because its losses were already so high they broke everything.

:smith:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

axeil posted:

Fun Puerto Rico fact: the model I made for one of my clients to analyze their projected loss exposure had to exclude PR from the analysis because its losses were already so high they broke everything.

:smith:

lol that's like when they created models for housing prices they excluded what happened in 2008 because that would have made things impossible

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I love when people do that with models.

"It looks great if we forcibly ignore the outliers"

Hmmm yes, can't foresee anyway this could haunt you.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

That makes me wonder, when they're designing clothes for like, Target or something, do they have flabby average American sized mannequins they put this stuff on to see how it fits?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That makes me wonder, when they're designing clothes for like, Target or something, do they have flabby average American sized mannequins they put this stuff on to see how it fits?

No because those clothes look sexy as hell on them mannequins but they do not look sexy as hell on me!!!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I had to educate people on not doing this exactly last month. They decided to forge on ahead with cherry-picked data anyway, but then promoted me to run the department that oversees that project. The literal first thing I do when I get back is trash that and bring back the old data.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump just made tillerson go on live tv and refute the NBC claim he'd called the president a moron

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Puerto Rico is decimated, Las Vegas is recovering from the biggest mass shooting in American history, but we can still manage to see headlines like this.

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/915594615612477440

fsif fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 4, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Target and the other big box stores like Kohls, yeah. They actually aim at what sells and whatever designers they contract with run the numbers to figure out just how many star wars t-shirts and lovely $30 jeans people will buy.

For like any other designer label, lol no. Gotta keep prestige and out of the hands of normies.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remember how tv shows would be viewed as ridiculous for all the poo poo they have happen to the main cast in a season and how unrealistic it is.

We're near the end of season 1 of the Trump presidency and just go ahead and try and recap this last year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Remember how tv shows would be viewed as ridiculous for all the poo poo they have happen to the main cast in a season and how unrealistic it is.

We're near the end of season 1 of the Trump presidency and just go ahead and try and recap this last year.

Veep basically had to be rewritten at the 11th hour.

poo poo, house of cards seemed tame.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/JoePerticone/status/915589807266508800

Just incredible.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump just made tillerson go on live tv and refute the NBC claim he'd called the president a moron

Normal prez

Edit lol I wonder what cnn and msnbc are about to drop

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 4, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/9...%3D2266%23pti14

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Did she actually say gently caress?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I really want a Pixel 2 but this live stream is taking so long I might just end up with a S8

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I really want a Pixel 2 but this live stream is taking so long I might just end up with a S8

I don't get how those two ideas are related

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm watching this as well. I'm hoping for a price drop on pixel today so I can get a deal on one.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

I'm watching this as well. I'm hoping for a price drop on pixel today so I can get a deal on one.

I'm going whole hog. I am still rocking a Galaxy S4. I'm gonna splurge knowing I'll keep this phone for way too long.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't get how those two ideas are related

I thought it was just a straight forward Pixel 2 announcement but instead it's this whole loving thing and I'm annoyed now. I just want the price and sale date!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm going whole hog. I am still rocking a Galaxy S4. I'm gonna splurge knowing I'll keep this phone for way too long.

I thought it was just a straight forward Pixel 2 announcement but instead it's this whole loving thing and I'm annoyed now. I just want the price and sale date!

Yeah, I'm still using a nexus 5x. Bought and returned a refurbished pixel because it couldn't make calls. Magically, my review that the refurbisher sells busted phone disappeared from amazon.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I still have an S6+ Edge. It does more than enough for me so I don't plan on upgrading my phone anytime soon.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I get to upgrade my phone for free every 2 years or so and do it then

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I get a new phone every year mostly Bc I break em

God bless insurance

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I had to pay 200 per upgrade so I never did because my phone always worked fine. Nowadays I need to bring an external battery just to keep it going during the day and I've been getting sim card errors over the last few months. One day I will make enough money to upgrade whenever I drat want.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Wedding is in ten days and there's another god damned hurricane

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They have another method to handle it but it's more time consuming and expensive, they aren't just ignoring it.

FizFashizzle posted:

lol that's like when they created models for housing prices they excluded what happened in 2008 because that would have made things impossible

If people are legit interested I can give a write-up/rant about this that both defends what they did and also condemns it because hey, building statistical models is really, really hard and we are constantly getting poo poo on from all sides by people who don't fully understand the applications of what we do. For a real-world example of this look at everyone in the world who was :smug: about 538's election model and then conveniently ignores that it was way closer than any of its other competitors.

poo poo there are people building models right now that have no idea what they're doing and think they're statisticians because they can hit the regression line button in Excel.

Americans fundamentally don't understand probability/statistics/numbers.

The analogy I always go with on models is: "Don't use a golf cart on the highway. It's not going to work out very well."

That said, if you know you're going to need to drive on the highway don't build someone a golf cart

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I had to educate people on not doing this exactly last month. They decided to forge on ahead with cherry-picked data anyway, but then promoted me to run the department that oversees that project. The literal first thing I do when I get back is trash that and bring back the old data.

Removing PR was the compromise solution I made them agree to. Originally they wanted to throw out all the data prior to 2012 because it "wasn't relevant anymore" :shepicide:

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 4, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...%3D2267%23pti34

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Same features regardless of Pixel 2 size. gently caress yeah

e: I never take selfies but I totally will with that pro squeeze move

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 4, 2017

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Either I've been away from new tech for too long or the Pixel 2 is the greatest invention since man learned how to gently caress

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

This time I was sure it wasn't real. It couldn't be. There was no way.

Yet its real. loving how?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/joshgondelman/status/915578161534001152

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, I'm still using a nexus 5x. Bought and returned a refurbished pixel because it couldn't make calls. Magically, my review that the refurbisher sells busted phone disappeared from amazon.

Starts at 649 :getin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
When I hit the 10 year mark as a Sprint customer they gave me the preferred customer thing where I could get a massive discount on a new phone every year instead of every two years

Right when that year came up, they got rid of it. gently caress you Sprint

(I'm still on SERO though so I stayed)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Either I've been away from new tech for too long or the Pixel 2 is the greatest invention since man learned how to gently caress

Does it have a headphone jack though?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

When I hit the 10 year mark as a Sprint customer they gave me the preferred customer thing where I could get a massive discount on a new phone every year instead of every two years

Right when that year came up, they got rid of it. gently caress you Sprint

(I'm still on SERO though so I stayed)

Man I just realized I've been a customer for AT&T for 9 years now. I switched over for the iPhone 3G because they were exclusive to them. My last several phones have been Samsungs too. How times change...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

isn't the pixel 2 supposed to be like $800 or something? I'm still on an S4 as well and was hoping to upgrade but I ain't paying no $800 for a loving phone

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

isn't the pixel 2 supposed to be like $800 or something? I'm still on an S4 as well and was hoping to upgrade but I ain't paying no $800 for a loving phone

Speculation was 800-1000 but Google says it starts at 649 (so XL prob 750?)

axeil posted:

Does it have a headphone jack though?

It has an adapter and comes with a pair of buds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Speculation was 800-1000 but Google says it starts at 649 (so XL prob 750?)

It has an adapter and comes with a pair of buds

xl starts at 849

• Locked thread