Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Hey, could have made the headline: "America continues to be terrible, we've been murdering Indians and protestors for decades"

Instead they whataboutismed that point with the Vegas shooting

E; I'm saying your definition is far to narrow, this is it being used stupidly in practice not just theory.

Consider that, by saying that this was the deadliest shooting in US history, all the other worse massacres are being dismissed, minimized, or forgotten. And it really doesn't send a good message when most of those worse massacres happened to not white people. There's nothing stupid about pointing out facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In modern times, by a single perpetrator, using a gun.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
worst mass shooting in America of people we consider to be important

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Largest mass shooting by a single person who was white and rich.

:smugdog:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Largest mass shooting at maximum effective range.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It must be fun to be conflicted about how important something is because the guy was a rich white guy, but most of his victims were also probably white.

loving mental gymnastics how does it work?!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I know right. I've been alternating between doing cartwheels and laughing at clips of fox news being flummoxed.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Largest but also most annoyingly talked about shooting

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-02-lone-gunman-theory-of-las-vegas-shooter-is-complete-nonsense-stephen-paddock.html

This article was posted by a LAS VEGAS EMERGENCY ROOM NURSE.

I want to face-palm but it's so loving depressing I just want to drink tequila until I'm blind.

I had to delete her along with a few other friends of mine. The rest of whom are veterans who live or have lived in Las Vegas and they're all falling for the same dumb poo poo.

I'm phone posting or I would copy paste some of that poo poo so no one else had to click it.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-10-02-lone-gunman-theory-of-las-vegas-shooter-is-complete-nonsense-stephen-paddock.html

I want to face-palm but it's so loving depressing I just want to drink tequila until I'm blind.

I had to delete her along with a few other friends of mine. The rest of whom are veterans who live or have lived in Las Vegas and they're all falling for the same dumb poo poo.

I'm phone posting or I would copy paste some of that poo poo so no one else had to click it.

What kills me is idiots finding news videos of people from immediately after the shooting saying they believed there were two shooters, and using it as definitive proof that there were two shooters and it's a cover up.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Having a family full of medical people; I find that nurses straddle the line between amazingly competent but uniquely and massively ill informed about anything that is outside their immediate direct experience. They also seem much more prone to falling for poo poo like this on the internet or even in person.

Isn't there a phrase for that? Something to do with Engineers applying pure math principles to complex and interdependent situations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Immanentized posted:

Having a family full of medical people; I find that nurses straddle the line between amazingly competent but uniquely and massively ill informed about anything that is outside their immediate direct experience. They also seem much more prone to falling for poo poo like this on the internet or even in person.

Isn't there a phrase for that? Something to do with Engineers applying pure math principles to complex and interdependent situations.

It's the Ben Carson and Fighter Pilot Principle.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

perhaps if you watched a few more documentaries you would know the "lone gunman" myth is used by the government all the time. For example, Edward Blake was the second shooter that killed JFK.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

perhaps if you watched a few more documentaries you would know the "lone gunman" myth is used by the government all the time. For example, Edward Blake was the second shooter that killed JFK.

I understood that reference

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Immanentized posted:

The XKCD Effect™

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Immanentized posted:

This definitely also applies to doctors. Even ones besides Ben Carson. Oh, and there's all the engineers who spend their retirement as cranks trying to disprove relativity, quantum field theory, or the round earth.

It also applies ten million percent to us software-writers. See for example Soylent and all the other one-weird-trick-style startups.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

At least Snopes was really quick to call the Vegas conspiracy theorists idiot.

http://www.snopes.com/second-gunman-shoot-fourth-floor-mandalay-bay/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

At least Snopes was really quick to call the Vegas conspiracy theorists idiot.

http://www.snopes.com/second-gunman-shoot-fourth-floor-mandalay-bay/

Clearly they're in on it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Jfc I'm stuck listening to Trump and it's like listening to someone with major head injuries

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Heh the error page still links you to Lowtax's twitter account

He's been suspended from Twitter in case you have an actual life and no time to follow these things

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr Nice!, you are (or almost) a Law Talkin' Guy, why would the guilty verdict be dismissed?

Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio's presidential pardon accepted by federal judge

quote:

A U.S. District Court judge in Phoenix has accepted the presidential pardon of former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

At the request of both Arpaio defense attorneys and U.S. Department of Justice lawyers, Judge Susan Bolton dismissed the guilty verdict against Arpaio with prejudice, meaning it can never be tried again.

Arpaio had been found guilty in July of criminal contempt for “flagrant disregard” of a judge's order.

Arpaio attorney Jack Wilenchik asked that all rulings and orders in the case be dismissed as well. Bolton took that request under advisement.

Arpaio did not attend the hearing.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't get how people familiar with high-adrenaline environments can be so incredibly trusting of the perceptions of people describing the scariest moment of their lives.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Mr Nice!, you are (or almost) a Law Talkin' Guy, why would the guilty verdict be dismissed?

paging real lawyer joat mon

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Immanentized posted:

Not the term you're looking for but as a Scientist I always keep Richard Feynman's quote on hand for that situation.

quote:

I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy — and when he talks about a nonscientific matter, he will sound as naive as anyone untrained in the matter.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The internet has made stupidity amazingly fast and efficient. Before you actually had to work on your conspiracy theory idiocy, really spend some time and dedication on the process to hand craft a finely honed instrument of retarded mental gymnastics to set yourself above the sheeple by knowing the REAL truth.

Now you can just crowd source your dumb bullshit and a million people will all pitch in to mass produce your stupid and spread it around the world instantly. Kinda sad that the old ways are falling out of fashion.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

The logic his lawyers used is that if you're pardoned you can't appeal the conviction because it's moot. They had case law for people that were pardoned while pending a new trial.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

The internet has made stupidity amazingly fast and efficient. Before you actually had to work on your conspiracy theory idiocy, really spend some time and dedication on the process to hand craft a finely honed instrument of retarded mental gymnastics to set yourself above the sheeple by knowing the REAL truth.

Now you can just crowd source your dumb bullshit and a million people will all pitch in to mass produce your stupid and spread it around the world instantly. Kinda sad that the old ways are falling out of fashion.

The funniest one I saw was "HOW DID AN UNTRAINED MAN WITH NO HELP GET 400 POUNDS OF EQUIPMENT UP TO THE 30TH FLOOR!!!?!!?!".

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
"Welcome to Mandalay Bay where we don't have elevators and you must carry all your belongings in using only one trip!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

KildarX posted:

The funniest one I saw was "HOW DID AN UNTRAINED MAN WITH NO HELP GET 400 POUNDS OF EQUIPMENT UP TO THE 30TH FLOOR!!!?!!?!".

I've done my best to refute that one in three separate people's stories now.

Might be futile, but I have to try.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

"Welcome to Mandalay Bay where we don't have elevators and you must carry all your belongings in using only one trip!"

And yet I still had to tip the bellboy, what a country!?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
bellhops spend years honing their craft

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

What is this devilry?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I thought the entire point of Las Vegas hotels were they don't ask questions unless you damage the room.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vasudus posted:

I thought the entire point of Las Vegas hotels were they don't ask questions unless you damage the room.

Lets see if they start asking a few after this.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:rip:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/915623371622244352

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasudus posted:

The Palazzo or whatever it's name was has security at the elevator to the rooms to prevent people from bringing whores up oddly enough.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The Palazzo or whatever it's name was has security at the elevator to the rooms to prevent people from bringing whores up oddly enough.

There are a few that do. Not like they really know the difference unless it's a) obvious or b) they've seen them before.

Those security folks really just go "let me see your room key" and then go back to looking at their phones.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

at the date posted:

Whataboutism specifically refers to defending your side from an accusation by accusing your opponent of something else without actually denying the original charge. Just because you can rephrase an article like the one about the historical massacres as "What about other massacres" does not mean it's whataboutism.

If the shooter had been Native American, and the article was defending/minimizing his actions by saying "You people did way worse to Indians in the 1800s" or "You blow up weddings in Yemen," that would be whataboutism.

Exactly, this mass shooting still isn't as bad as the bowling Green massacre.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh my god, that interview was this year. After the inauguration.

:corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There are a few that do. Not like they really know the difference unless it's a) obvious or b) they've seen them before.

Those security folks really just go "let me see your room key" and then go back to looking at their phones.

Yeah, I just thought it was funny they even care.

• Locked thread