Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sarchasm posted:

Ehhhh. If it's not a giallo it's giallo adjacent. I'm sure one of those possessed theater patrons was wearing black gloves, I'm gonna count it.

It's not a murder mystery, it doesn't use POV of the killer at all (there is no killer), it doesn't really have hyper-sexuality (there's one sex scene without nudity, and one non-sex scene with nudity), no black gloves or mask, the entire situation is supernatural, the genders of the cast is pretty even (instead of mainly women), etc.

There's definitely some giallo-esque elements, like the color palette and the camera work, exaggerated violence, but that's kind of Italian horror in general.

It's not a major gripe, I just thought I'd mention it since we recently did a "What's Giallo and What Isn't" chat in the horror thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

13. Tusk (2014)
dir. Kevin Smith

Okay, so look. I came for Justin Long being turned into a walrus. What I got was Justin Long being turned into a walrus.

Did I particularly appreciate the extensive, overlong, flatly shot scenes of dialogue? No. Is it just a poor man's remake of Porkin' Across America? Sure. Did I spend the entire film thinking that was Stephen Root and not Michael Parks? Yes I did. But those things don't matter. I saw Justin Long transformed into a horrid Frankenwalrus complete with fleshy blubber and gross stitches and big ol' Tusks. They even had money in the budget dedicated to getting Fleetwood Mac's Tusk for the soundtrack.

And I just can't call that a failure.

Watched: It (2017); The Invisible Man; mother!; Carnival of Souls; Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III; Dementia; Ghostwatch: Behind the Curtains; Snuff; The Last House on Dead End Street; When a Stranger Calls; Peeping Tom; What We Do in the Shadows; Tusk (Total: 13)

The ending to tusk might be the best thing Smith has ever done.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

MacheteZombie posted:

The ending to tusk might be the best thing Smith has ever done.

Trim the extended dialogue bits by about 20-25 minutes and add in some more camera angles during those lengthy conversations, minimize Guy Lapointe without completely excising him, and make the flashbacks linear and you'd have a pretty solid movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Trim the extended dialogue bits by about 20-25 minutes and add in some more camera angles during those lengthy conversations, minimize Guy Lapointe without completely excising him, and make the flashbacks linear and you'd have a pretty solid movie.

I couldn't stand Guy Lapointe at all. Depp was doing a dry run for Mortdecai

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Demons is absolutely not a giallo film.

Oh here's something fun how do you pronounce giallo because you've probably been pronouncing it wrong

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Demons is absolutely not a giallo film.

Oh here's something fun how do you pronounce giallo because you've probably been pronouncing it wrong

Jee-Yallow.

Like yellow, but replace the "y" with the first sound of Giovanni.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HZbIpj6LPQ

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Franchescanado posted:

Jee-Yallow.

Like yellow, but replace the "y" with the first sound of Giovanni.

Yeah that's what I thought it was as well for years but it's not it's phonetically Jah Lo

I actually only recently figured out the correct way

One of those " Oh I've been pronouncing that wrong forever" . Sort of like Asia Argento's name (it's not Asia like the continent it is Ah Se Ah)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 5, 2017

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Girls Nite Out

Maybe one of the worst of the 80s slashers, which really says something. The trailer seemed interesting enough (THE SCAREMAKER!!) in a zero-budget movie type way. Plus the idea of a slasher wearing a bear costume seemed funny. Unfortunately it was not funny or interesting
:spooky:/5

Shock Waves

An awesome poster, an interesting enough plot and starring Peter Cushing was enough for me to pick this one. The trivia of how locations were used made me respect this movie more than I would have. The movie plods along to no real payoff. It does have it's moments, like the image of the goggle wearing, army of zombie water nazis arrising from the deep. This movie had potential, but it just couldn't live up to the cool poster
:spooky::spooky:/5

The Night Brings Charlie
Maybe this is it.. the horror movie no one else in this thread has seen, but probably not. This is another free on YouTube 80s slasher. I actually was recommended this after Girls Night Out, and after finding only a scant summary of what it was about I decided just to head into it.

The movie has some problems, but unlike GNO, it's actually enjoyable due to it's pacing and humor. The plot twist was obvious and leaves some plot holes, but it was about all I could ask for in a no-budget 80s movie. Overall I wouldn't recommend this unlike you are like me and enjoy 'discovering' obscure, YT found horror movies, and all the risks there-in of.
:spooky::spooky:/5 (Graded on a scale with consideration to amateur production and super-low budget)

The Asphyx
A movie that feels like it should be an important horror entry. The location, atmosphere and premise is excellent. I was really into this for at least the first half until disappointment started setting in. Like so many other horror's it's like they had an terrific idea, but didn't know what to do with it. Not a bad watch, but it just feels like it could have been so much more.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I love The Asphyx I had never heard of it until a few months ago in the horror thread. It's so drat good. If you like that film watch Cushing and Lee playing brothers in The Creeping Flesh.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

MacheteZombie posted:

I couldn't stand Guy Lapointe at all. Depp was doing a dry run for Mortdecai

What drugs Depp was on really steal the show.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

13/31, The Reaping:

It may be theoretically possible to make a movie less interesting than this one, but I have some doubts about the practicalities of doing so. A horror movie so dull that it requires serious effort just to keep your eyes on it, rather than the patch of wall next to the tv, or the mantle on the other side of the room.

0/however many biblical plagues

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10. The Hills Have Eyes (original)

I'd actually never seen the original just the remake. Funny enough so did my partner who thought she loved the original but turns out she was thinking of the remake too.

Anyways this has earned it's reputation. It's a tad outdated but it has some awesome performances from Jupiter's family. That and the dirty, grungy, 70s grindhouse feel to the look make it an enjoyable experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's what I thought it was as well for years but it's not it's phonetically Jah Lo

I actually only recently figured out the correct way

One of those " Oh I've been pronouncing that wrong forever" . Sort of like Asia Argento's name (it's not Asia like the country it is Ah Se Ah)

Jah-Lo is just saying the word with a more natural Italian accent, its got less to do with that specific word and more about how Italians say that particular combination of letters(ia). They don't annunciate the "i" and the "a" separately, it just blends together.

So if you're one of those people who insists on saying "pitzarria" instead of pizzeria just because it's more authentic, it would be an important distinction but I think just like pizza the word giallo has kind of a separate but also accepted American pronunciation.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Y'all weren't kidding, Ms. 45 was great. The soundtrack was totally on point but that piece playing at the party was absolutely perfect.

E: I'm now up to six with a better than usual mix of new-to-me films.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie #10: Alien: Covenant

My first rewatch for the challenge, but I love this movie and wanted to dip in again before lending it to a friend.

Michael Fassbender was a delight as David in Prometheus, and Covenant is wonderfully handed over to him even more completely by introducing Walter. The trust that the movie shows in Fassbender's performance, allowing Walter's transformation into David to be conveyed entirely through Fassbender's acting, no dialog or other indication, shows a lot of trust that is entirely rewarded. It's incredible that a horror franchise this old could introduce a new villain this exciting, and hopefully Ridley Scott and Michael Fassbender can keep making movies about him for as long as they'd like.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Movie #10: Alien: Covenant

My first rewatch for the challenge, but I love this movie and wanted to dip in again before lending it to a friend.
Counterpoint: I don't give a poo poo about where the alien came from, and neither should you. It's an alien. It wants to kill people. End of story.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
what's that got to do with his post?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Counterpoint: I don't give a poo poo about where the alien came from, and neither should you. It's an alien. It wants to kill people. End of story.

That's like, a 5th of the overall story though.

I kind of like how they're doing it, too. It's not an origin story, more like a common ancestor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
How long to UV codes work for? I have one for Alien Covenant but it's been unused since I bought it in August.

I'd be willing to post it if the person who takes it, on the honor system of course, promises to watch at least one Hammer Frankenstein film for the Challenge this month.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Hence my enthusiasm for a movie that's focused primarily on David, the snooty homicidal robot, as I talked about in my post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Butch Cassidy posted:

Y'all weren't kidding, Ms. 45 was great. The soundtrack was totally on point but that piece playing at the party was absolutely perfect.

E: I'm now up to six with a better than usual mix of new-to-me films.

Ms. 45 is amazing, one of my favorite movies I've seen this year (thanks to Hollismason for talking about it). The premise sounds rough, and the first 15 minutes fulfill those expectations, but then it goes into gently caress Yeah territory and then right back into gently caress No territory.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
6. ABCs of Death

Can I make a review that just says "No."? Because I want to. For a movie that has twenty six little stories in it, they all loving sucked.

This was a rewatch for me, since I'd forgotten it. I see why; my brain did that to protect me.

0/5 Alphabet Slayings

Edit: Had to put the correct title in, because it sucked enough I didn't remember it correctly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

How long to UV codes work for? I have one for Alien Covenant but it's been unused since I bought it in August.

It should be printed on the back of the box.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

It should be printed on the back of the box.

Ok, I'm at work so I wouldn't be able to post it until a few hours from now anyway.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay here's what I got so far

1) Gerald's Game B
This is the most Stephen Kingy Stephen King adaptation I've ever seen. It was honestly a little weird to see a movie acting out King's language and eccentricities. That being said, this doesn't seem like it was exactly an easy book to figure out how to film and it is handled here seemingly effortlessly. I really like the playing with positioning and how the characters rightly don't ever adhere to any logic in their placement or consistency from one shot to the next. It is also a pretty god drat uncomfortable story to tell and it handles those aspects about as well as it possibly could. Overall I don't think it got quite as under my skin as I wanted it to (no pun intended) but it was still really well done and at the very least it has what is probably the hardest to watch violent scene I've seen this year (and considering this year also had Raw, that's saying something)

2) Phoenix Tapes 97 C-
Meh. This doesn't really do anything amazingly bad but it might be one of the most by the books, bog standard found footage films I've ever seen. I honestly had trouble staying focused.

3) Friend Request B
I went in expecting to hate this movie and I kind of sorta loved it. Now don't get me wrong: this is a bad movie but it's such a wonderfully and gleefully silly bad movie that I just got swept up in it. It is a movie that kind of sort of understands how social media works but not to the degree that they should have ever thought they could write a movie around it. I dunno, it's hard to justify why I liked this movie as much as I did but the things that were bad were just so great. It's a movie where the flaws were mostly endearing rather than annoying and I just had a big stupid grin on my film throughout almost the whole thing

4) Unfriended A+
To say this is like the good version of Friend Request would be unfair to both movies. Both, while seemingly similar, have very different messages (this being about cyberbullying and the former being about cyber addiction) and while they do some things similarly, they also have very different approaches. Still while I can say I unironically loved Friend Request, I cannot say it's a good movie. This is a good movie. I'm kicking myself for waiting on it so long because I knew this would be exactly my type of movie yet I kept putting watching it off. I just love everything about this from extremely accurate use of social media, to the constant stream of details everywhere to the really accurate douchey teen characters. This might honestly go amongst my favorite horror movies ever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Gerald's Game ... it has what is probably the hardest to watch violent scene I've seen this year (and considering this year also had Raw, that's saying something)

Yeah, I was half turned away watching it sideways, it was so visceral and you're so in the head of the person doing it at that point. Absolutely brutal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016)

Two very different brothers who don't get along get drawn into a weird board game when their dad disappears and slowly get sucked into the realization that the game is real, their dad's disappearance is tied to it, and they're in trouble that they're stuck in it now. Its been talked about a bunch so you guys know the main details.

I was really hyped for this going in. Lots of good reviews in here and I really liked the idea of it. It just never really clicked for me. I love the idea and I'm into the throwback horror craze but the pacing felt slow and off to me, the characters weren't engaging, and the production just felt kind of cheap and unspectacular rather than anything positive. I don't know. I wasn't bored and I wouldn't call it a bad film. I like the idea of it for sure. It didn't scare me. It didn't make me tense. It didn't make me laugh. It just felt so amateurish. Which I get is part of the appeal to fans who love watching old films that look amateurish now... but there's something much more natural about a movie from 20 or 30 years ago that did its best but doesn't really hold up now and a movie from now that just feels poorly done and cheap. On purpose? It just was? I don't know but it didn't work for me.

In keeping with one of the popular topics of this thread I turned Child's Play on today for a rewatch. This is one of those films I know I've seen more than once but the memories of Chucky all kind of blend together and I can't really differentiate what's in what movie over time. Its always fun to go back to the start of one of these franchises and see how what turns into a very silly and campy thing started very serious and straight. Its a good movie and the effects are more of the "organic" charm of "cheap" I was talking about where they obviously just did the best with what they had at the time and it didn't take away from the acting or directing or story. And there's actually a kind of unintentional creepiness to the practical effects, especially the transition from closeup scenes with the puppet/doll to action scenes with someone running around in a mask. Its very unnerving in a way I can't quite describe. And that burned out zombie Chucky at the end is pure nightmare fuel.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). V/H/S (2012) / - (2). V/H/S/2 (2013) / 1 (3). Let Us Prey (2014) / - (4). The Crazies (2010) / 2 (5). The Boy (2016) / 3 (6). Beyond the Gates (2016) / - (7). Child’s Play (1988)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 4, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Beyond the Gates was not very popular in the horror thread, so you aren't exactly in the minority if you didn't like it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its entirely possible I just zeroed in on the positive posts because I really did love the idea on paper and really, really wanted to like this film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
We don't take kindly to wasting Barbara Crampton round these parts.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I felt like Horror Jumanji should have been a slam dunk. But here we are.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The Tingler

Stupid but entertaining enough to sustain the short running time. Price is great as always. He's able to make even the dumbest poo poo sound convincing.

:spooky: :spooky: /5

Night Of The Devils

I liked this. It's sleazy and the camera work and acting is good. That said it's a trashy adaptation of the source material and it squanders some of the horrors of Tolstoy's work. The vampire makeup isn't good at all and the decision to make them chuckle is more hilarious than spooky, although the escape sequence is still quite tense. The ending is predictable but satisfying.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

The Hound Of The Baskervilles

Cushing continues to impress. The film is exquisitely mounted and I've started perking up whenever I see that a film is directed by Terence Fisher. It's a shame there weren't anymore Sherlock Hammer films. I love seeing Christopher Lee play non-villainous roles.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Black Sabbath

I was only interested in this for another version of the Tolstoy story Night of The Devils was based off of. The sets and photography were quality, and I loved the way Karloff looked. I wish there was more acting from him in this, but I understand the need to ramp things up due to the limited time of the format. The love story felt even more tacked on than it did in Devils but once again it's a casualty of the anthology format. I have yet to be taken with Italian horror so far.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Been a little lax at updating for #31DaysofHalloween. Whoops!

#8 Residue (2017)

Private Detective Luke Harding lives in a world just slightly ahead of ours-drones are handheld sized, smartphones make holograms instead of flat screens, televisions are sheets of glass with no backing, etc. Luke has had better times, he lives in a trailer park, he's often broke, his teen daughter Angelina has decided she needs to get away from her mother and crash at his place, he's slowly trying to romance the pretty cleaning lady next door, and so on. After a connected series of jobs for a local crime boss (Matt Frewer!) he finds himself accidentally opening and reading an old magically charged journal. It reads about a man who kills and buries some unspeakable monster deep in the woods before going crazy and killing his companions. As Luke reads, time starts going funny, his memories start playing tricks on him (both by lapsing and by bringing up painful moments in demonic form), and oozing residue leaks from the book. However, Luke apparently has already gotten further in the book than anyone in recent memory, and is being watched quite closely. Unfortunately, Angelina starts noticing and reading the book herself, and their two sets of demons might be at odds...

This was a fun one, with lots of strangeness and humor mixed well together. Lots of rubber monsters haunting the corners of your vision, lots of uncertain narrators. It doesn't have any ambition to be more than it is, and that can be a big strength sometimes for movies like this. Also, hooray for another movie that doesn't judge a gay couple! In fact, there's a really adorable scene on the subject, and the film itself even acknowledges this.

I give Residue :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of Five

#9 The Sound (2016)

Kelley Johansen (Rose McGowan!) is a ghost-breaker, specializing in the school of thought that "ghosts" are a side effect of infra-sound, that is sound below the human hearing range, which can vibrate our eyes, and cause all sorts of havoc with our brains, causing us to hallucinate things. She gets a message about a ghost in an abandoned section of the Toronto Subway. When she gets there, she finds incredibly low infrasound levels due to the way the structure is built, and she starts having hallucinations, headaches, and nosebleeds. She runs into an eccentric custodian (Christopher Lloyd!) who tells her how the subway was built over a Potter's Field (ie graveyard for the unidentified) before he goes back to his work. A local detective following her live-tweets eventually goes down to join her on her journey to the deepest, lowest-sounding region of the subway. What will they find when they get there? The supernatural, or just madness?

I've got to admit, I had low expectations for this one. On the other hand, it's better than the glut of zombie and killer clown flicks in the DTV genre these days. Infrasound is a real thing, and it is one of the scientific theories for the supernatural, so there's some real world stuff behind this. Also, not really a spoiler, but something I admired is that they don't really actually answer the question of whether there are ghosts present or if the infrasound is just messing with the characters' brains to see things they want to.

I give The Sound :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: out of Five

#10 The Psychic aka Sette Note in Nero aka Seven Notes In Black (1977)

All her life, Virginia has had visions. She saw her mother commit suicide from miles away as a child for example. Her Italian husband Francesco thinks it's hogwash, but she sees a parapsychologist for therapy who encourages her. One day while driving she sees visions of a murder happening and being covered up by having the body bricked up in a wall. Later when she sees her husband's family farmhouse, she realizes the visions occurred in a room there. When she breaks open the wall, a skeleton is found. The body belongs to a woman her husband had briefly dated once upon a time, so he's arrested as the primary suspect. Now it's up to Virginia and her therapist must work to try to prove her husband's innocence, but as they do so, bits of evidence start to point towards Virginia's vision not being of a murder in the past, but of one in the near future!

This one was just alright. It's one of Lucio Fulci's less talked about films, as it occurs just before he really hit his stride with the zombies and whatnot. It definitely feels more like a giallo than a paranormal film, with the vision early on becoming like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, where they all fit together quite nicely and clearly by the end. If you're a fan of old Italian horror, you'll probably dig it.

I give The Psychic :spooky: :spooky: and a half out of Five

#11. We Go On (2016)

Miles is an extremely nervous young man, terrified of death ever since his father passed away when he was a toddler. He's even to the point where he's lived in LA his whole life and still refuses to learn to drive a car. He decides to put an ad in the paper offering $30,000 (inheritance money from his aunt) to whomever can prove to him that there's some sort of afterlife, ghosts, angels, whatever. He's a video editor, so he can spot fakes well. The ad attracts the notice of his cynical mother who comes to him, and then with morbid curiosity, joins him on his journey. After several false leads, Miles eventually meets a man who promises to open the door for him to the spirit world. However, some doors are better left closed.

I watched this one on the merit of it being from the makers of YellowBrickRoad, which I quite liked. This film had an obviously larger budget, yet ironically I would say it's a much smaller, more intimate film. If I had to compare it to another film, it would be Stir of Echos, which I also thought was good for what it was trying to be. Recommended.

I give We Go On :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: Out of Five

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

14/31. Rawhead Rex:

This Clive Barker novella could have made a great movie. Instead, however, we get this movie. There are a few good things, but they're all overshadowed by the stupid rubber mask monster.

2/5 dumb rubber masks

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Alien in Covenant is David not the xenomorphs

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 4 - Death Bed: The Bed that Eats [People]

:psyduck:

:wtf:

:psyduck::psyduck::psypop:

:psyboom:

I am 100% certain that George Barry thought he was making a deep, meaningful film but he's so incompetent at it that it reminds me of something like The Room. He's trying for art but it's so amazingly incompetent top to bottom. It's like I have a million things to say about every aspect of this movie but it's all about how goddamned insane it is. It's a bewildering deluge of madness.

There's no way that this is a misguided attempt at parody. There's too many stabs at being artistic for that to be the case. It's sincere and that makes it so much more amazing.

In conclusion, I really wish Death Bed had been defeated by smoking in bed.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Death Bed: The Bed That Eats is playing at a local theater in a couple weeks. Unfortunately I've already got tickets to Suspiria that same night or I'd be going.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alien Covenant digital code:

4ZFL3HSWJDZ32943

If you take the code you're agreeing by the honor of the October Challenge that you will also watch a Hammer Frankenstein. If you've already watched one watch another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Hollismason posted:

The Alien in Covenant is David not the xenomorphs

Everything in Alien Covenant is boring, and Ridley Scott should never have been allowed to touch the series again.

• Locked thread