Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Euro any recent tweaks to mill? I had a pretty solid record for September with it.

This is where I'm at right now-
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
4 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
3 Watery Grave
4 Archive Trap
3 Crypt Incursion
1 Damnation
3 Fatal Push
4 Fraying Sanity
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
4 Mesmeric Orb
1 Murderous Cut
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond

Sideboard:
1 Damnation
3 Echoing Truth
2 Fulminator Mage
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Negate
3 Ravenous Trap
1 Surgical Extraction

The Murderous Cut will probably become a Hero's Downfall soon, as I am stone-cold dead to a Gideon of the Trials emblem game 1. Although it will depend on how prevalent Gideon becomes going forward; I am usually paired up against at least 1 UW Control deck each FNM but I don't think I've seen any of them cast a planeswalker, the only Gideon oTT I've seen was in a Restore Balance deck of all things. I thought briefly about turning one blue source into a Steam Vents to splash for Dreadbore as a walker-killer but I'm not sure if that's any better.

People have also suggested Field of Ruin over Ghost Quarter since it forces your opponent to search (and you get a land out of it) but that 2 mana activation cost is real steep. From my experience, people will almost always search off of being Ghost Quarter'd since no one wants to let you have a Strip Mine activation in Modern. And I have needed to Ghost Quarter myself in the past, if you can believe it.

SB is pretty new compared to the maindeck. I will probably cut the Fulminators and bring my Hurkyl's Recalls back in as A: there aren't really any "lands" decks like Tron or Valakut around here, and B: I thought our resident Affinity player was moving but apparently he's still here :argh: I could also see a case for dropping the Inquisitions for more removal, like a 4th Echoing Truth or a second Hero's Downfall. Inquisition is a good card but I never know when to bring it in!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Though I'm waiting to get paired up with the idiot that plays sneak and breach who says I can't beat him. Except I'm pretty sure mill wins that way more than half the time, depending on configuration.

What kind of Breach deck? If it's running Emrakuls (which not a lot are) then you might have a hard time, but if it's a Valakut deck with Breach then you should be OK if you Surgical his Prime Times ASAP. I think the deck can mill enough Mountains or draw enough Ghost Quarters to keep an opposing player off of critical Valakut mass otherwise.

Deck is still fun and still has game in my area, I'll probably bring it out next FNM while I decide what tweaks to make to my own Valakut deck (and also remain too lazy to sleeve up this finished Enchantress deck). I found out recently that one of my wife's friends is big into Magic and wants to build Mill, I'm v excited for him :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've never had much trouble with emrakul decks you just have to play differently (and lean on surgical hard.) I used to play this deck so much in pods heyday people started sideboarding emrakul. It didn't work.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've never had much trouble with emrakul decks you just have to play differently (and lean on surgical hard.) I used to play this deck so much in pods heyday people started sideboarding emrakul. It didn't work.
Formats wide open.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: why the gently caress is the rack 15 tix on magic online.

no fourth edition to provide a massive supply

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I guess the one time I can remember playing against an Emrakul deck (RG Tron pre-Eye ban) I did win, but I had to Crypt Incursion all of his creatures away one game to do so. Some people say you need Leyline or RiP for decks where you don't want certain things to hit the yard (like Dredge) but using your opponent's graveyard as a resource (Visions, Surgical, Incursion) is too valuable to completely remove it. I'm trying out Ravenous Trap in the SB again as an emergency graveyard wipe. And yeah, Pod and other creature-combo decks feel like really easy matchups as Mill.

What's your list like these days?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2017

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I'm pretty close to your main deck actually. I let you do most the heavy lifting. The biggest issue I have is deciding between the fourth surgical or putting one in the sb.
Everything has changed.
Against emrakul decks you basically have to slow roll them. Don't blow your big mill spells until you can back it up with surgical or crypt.
Oh, I have mind funeral instead of snap.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm pretty close to your main deck actually. I let you do most the heavy lifting. The biggest issue I have is deciding between the fourth surgical or putting one in the sb.
Everything has changed.
Against emrakul decks you basically have to slow roll them. Don't blow your big mill spells until you can back it up with surgical or crypt.
Oh, I have mind funeral instead of snap.

:lol: Happy to lead the way on forums Mill tech. If you couldn't already tell, I spend way too much time thinking about this deck!

Surgical is real good but for me it comes down to a fourth Surgical vs a fourth Orb maindeck. Orb is better in Mill's weaker matchups (aggro decks) while Surgical is better against decks that IMO are easier matchups (combo decks).

Snaps are kind of a splurge for me. To be honest I think I find myself using them to flashback non-mill spells more often than not. They also play well with 4x Orb. Mind Funeral is fine for that spot too, I was running a couple until Fraying Sanity came along. Funeral is also good against aggro decks since they typically run fewer lands but it feels really bad to whiff on casting one. I could see myself going to 2x Sanity and 2x Funeral in the future but I need more playtesting with 4x Sanity. Also, with Mind Funeral you can do cutesy poo poo like Surgical-ing away lands in their graveyard to improve your odds of a big Mind Funeral.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 30, 2017

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Went to a small Legacy cash tournament at my local store. Played RG Lands. Played 3x Death and Taxes, 2x RG Lands, and Dark Maverick. Lost both Lands mirrors (once in T8), Once to D&T. It was a miserable day. I lost the Top 8 match despite starting Land, Exploration, 2x Mox Diamond, Loam, play an extra land as my turn 1. He drew Bog for my Loam, then gripped my Exploration. He eventually got ahead and found his Loam. Before I found mine.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

How do you feel the D&T matchup is from Lands' side?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Aston posted:

How do you feel the D&T matchup is from Lands' side?

I've been playing lands forever and it isn't great on RG. You can shore it up a little bit by playing a bayou and running massacre though >: ).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Or Cabal Pit.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Or Cabal Pit.

I have Barbarian Ring. It's slightly unfavorable, but not terrible. If they draw the right cards you lose. You draw the right cards, you win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Modern Scapeshift/Breach crew- why do I keep seeing decks running 2x Relic of Progenitus mainboard? Is having a graveyard wipe + cantrip useful enough for maindeck slots? Admittedly I'm running Emrakuls so I'd rather keep my graveyard around for the chance to shuffle it all back in, but I might ended cutting down on those if not removing them altogether. Is Relic that much better than running more ramp or something like an extra Bolt?

Also, anyone try SSG in the deck? I picked up a couple and am thinking of trying them out, having better odds at a turn 3 Breach seems handy. I've seen a handful of lists running them online but it's not commonplace.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Modern Scapeshift/Breach crew- why do I keep seeing decks running 2x Relic of Progenitus mainboard? Is having a graveyard wipe + cantrip useful enough for maindeck slots? Admittedly I'm running Emrakuls so I'd rather keep my graveyard around for the chance to shuffle it all back in, but I might ended cutting down on those if not removing them altogether. Is Relic that much better than running more ramp or something like an extra Bolt?

Also, anyone try SSG in the deck? I picked up a couple and am thinking of trying them out, having better odds at a turn 3 Breach seems handy. I've seen a handful of lists running them online but it's not commonplace.

You're trying to erase the graveyard before someone can cast Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or flashback a spell with Snapcaster Mage. It also draws you a card sometimes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Star Man posted:

You're trying to erase the graveyard before someone can cast Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or flashback a spell with Snapcaster Mage. It also draws you a card sometimes.

Well yeah it's a good and useful card, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if the deck has some inherent weakness to decks that use the graveyard as a resource (Dredge, Grixis Death's Shadow, Storm) that I haven't picked up on. I haven't seen too many decks at my store lately that fit that description, so maindecking graveyard hate isn't something that I feel is necessary for the deck (at least when I'm playing it around here).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Well yeah it's a good and useful card, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if the deck has some inherent weakness to decks that use the graveyard as a resource (Dredge, Grixis Death's Shadow, Storm) that I haven't picked up on. I haven't seen too many decks at my store lately that fit that description, so maindecking graveyard hate isn't something that I feel is necessary for the deck (at least when I'm playing it around here).

Adjust for your meta. If there aren't decks that have graveyard manipulation in your meta, then don't worry about it.

But now I'm reminiscing about Alara-Zendikar Standard when I could play Quenchable Flames in Red Deck Wins because blue was in such a weak position. Then Jace, the Mind Sculptor was printed.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Dredge wrecked me repeatedly. Conflagrate is one hell of a card.

Another note: Popeye Stompy was a myth.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The March Hare posted:

I've been playing lands forever and it isn't great on RG. You can shore it up a little bit by playing a bayou and running massacre though >: ).

From the D&T side it seems pretty hard as well - Punishing Fire is very hard to beat once it gets going, and all the disruptive land stuff is pretty ineffective against Loam. It seems to hinge pretty heavily on whether I can get a vial down early, so that I can develop the board through Tabernacle, and then it's a race. Sanctum Prelate on 2 is obviously great but I think Lands has adapted to that with Molten Vortex/Barbarian Ring so it's not game over.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aston posted:

From the D&T side it seems pretty hard as well - Punishing Fire is very hard to beat once it gets going, and all the disruptive land stuff is pretty ineffective against Loam. It seems to hinge pretty heavily on whether I can get a vial down early, so that I can develop the board through Tabernacle, and then it's a race. Sanctum Prelate on 2 is obviously great but I think Lands has adapted to that with Molten Vortex/Barbarian Ring so it's not game over.

Phyrexian Revoker shutting down Vortex limits your outs. The guy I always play at my shop always has Revoker into Prelate, and then sometimes Aven Mindcensor to ruin my crop rotation plan.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
So the guys that are lucky enough to have a legacy scene around them how do you feel 4c loam is going to line up in the current iteration of legacy ? Asking because I finally finished my post miracles legacy deck and it ended up being loam because I'm to poor to afford a tabernacle and got my diamonds before the price spike

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

wiskibubbles posted:

So the guys that are lucky enough to have a legacy scene around them how do you feel 4c loam is going to line up in the current iteration of legacy ? Asking because I finally finished my post miracles legacy deck and it ended up being loam because I'm to poor to afford a tabernacle and got my diamonds before the price spike

It's not awful? Punishing fire matches up well vs drs and delver in general. I wouldn't be ecstatic to play it, nor do I think it's the worst deck right now. As with everything if you're good with it you can do a lot. Also chalice on 1 is very strong especially since decay seems to be on a downturn after counterbalance is gone.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It actually made the finals of our tournament. It's ok in the current meta. As a Lands player I like to see it because it's a great matchup.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

skred player not a scapeshift player, but relic gives you free wins in some matchups and the majority of modern decks are not happy to see a t1 relic. seems like a meta choice over bolt since bolt doesn't kill much in the current meta

also it plays fine with emrakul, as long as you don't sacrifice relic with the shuffle trigger on the stack. the only reason you might have to do that is if a clever opponent tries do something in response to the shuffle trigger, like snapcaster back a spell or cast living end, but even then you'll have the choice to crack relic or not

C-Euro posted:

the most relevant interaction for your deck would probably be stopping snapcaster->counterspell. make sure to let snapcaster resolve, make them choose a target, and then crack relic in response to the snapcaster etb trigger

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 4, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wiskibubbles posted:

it's a non-combo, non-pure control deck that does not play deathrite shaman. it is unplayable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

skred player not a scapeshift player, but relic gives you free wins in some matchups and the majority of modern decks are not happy to see a t1 relic. seems like a meta choice over bolt since bolt doesn't kill much in the current meta

also it plays fine with emrakul, as long as you don't sacrifice relic with the shuffle trigger on the stack. the only reason you might have to do that is if a clever opponent tries do something in response to the shuffle trigger, like snapcaster back a spell or cast living end, but even then you'll have the choice to crack relic or not

the most relevant interaction for your deck would probably be stopping snapcaster->counterspell. make sure to let snapcaster resolve, make them choose a target, and then crack relic in response to the snapcaster etb trigger

I still have 3 Bolts MB with 2 Relic in the side, Bolt is still relevant in my area since a lot of decks here are still playing small creatures, but I'll have to keep an eye on that. The way my store's calendar works out has us only doing Modern once, sometimes twice each month so it's real tough to get a consistent read on the meta!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's a non-combo, non-pure control deck that does not play deathrite shaman. it is unplayable.

are you hating on death and taxes

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

well that is an oversight on my part but yes, I will hate on Death and Taxes for any and all reasons

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rude as hell

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i've actually changed my mind on the legacy deck im taking to EW now. I'm going to play death's shadow with 4 Dread of Nights

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

wiskibubbles posted:

4C Loam is the kind of deck that either runs the tables if you're in a meta with lots of Delvers and small creatures, or is a feel-bad worse version of Lands if you aren't. You'll have to get a LOT of practice in because of the number of lines the deck has, and even then, you'll still have some nearly unwinnable matchups.

You can bend it to your local meta, but I wouldn't take it to a GP at this point.

wiskibubbles
Nov 1, 2013
thanks for the info guys. Still gonna bring this to the open because right now its all that I got. I have a been playing the deck for 5-6 months right now and not expecting to do amazing would love to just hit the right side of a bracket and maybe catch day two for the first time

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

i've actually changed my mind on the legacy deck im taking to EW now. I'm going to play death's shadow with 4 Dread of Nights

Play some Magical Hacks or Painters too.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Oh don't get me wrong, I have the deck and love it despite all its flaws. When it works it feels completely degenerate, and Tabernacle is a relatively recent addition, so the deck is fine without it. Personally I do run a Deathrite as a GSZ target, but that's the whole beauty of the deck; how many different ways you can build it based on what you expect to see.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Strongly consider the new 2 Mana pithing needle variant. It would fit well into the strategy you're going for.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Lol

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

rude as hell

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Played bant spirits for the first time at FNM tonight. I beat GW tron, GW ranumap excavator/azusa company, a variant of the saffron olive mono black vehicles deck, and lost a close match to storm. The deck felt really good the whole time. Putting together double drogskol captain was what won a big percentage of those games.

I'm on a slightly different list (below) that plays zero geist of saint traft and four nebelghast herald. The herald is kind of an embarrassing card to be playing in modern, but it does a lot in matchups that are about creature combat. I'm much lower on geist than most people in this deck. Your plan should be to ignore their ground guys as much as possible, and hexproof is not an important keyword to a deck that already has a million ways to protect its creatures.

4 Collected Company
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Nebelgast Herald
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller

3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
2 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

SB: 2 Aven Mindcensor
SB: 1 Blessed Alliance
SB: 1 Burrenton Forge-Tender
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 2 Dusk // Dawn
SB: 1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
SB: 2 Rest in Peace
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 3 Unified Will

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How were the matches against Tron and the Ramunap deck? I thought Spirits was a dog to big mana decks, and I'm about to finish that Ramunap deck and need to know what to watch for when I play our local Spirits guy.

E: No Kira either?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 7, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a Ramunap deck in Modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

There's a Ramunap deck in Modern?

GW value company, runs 2 excavator usually.