Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I have several iPhones dating back a few generations (6 and back) - is there still a market for these?

Also, what's the best way to ensure they're actually unlocked (in the Apple sense, not the carrier sense)? There used to be a page on apple.com you could check that with, and I had a problem previously where one old iPhone was locked to some other apple account after I wiped it. (Had to go down to the Apple Store and have them fix it. PITA.)

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Also lightning is always waterproof. I don't think usb-C is (though it can be).

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
If you are on a launch 6S it's more than likely eligible for a new battery free of charge. Just plug the serial number in in Apple's support website:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Mine was definitely effected. Would regularly go from 40% to dead instantly. Especially in cold weather.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

I have several iPhones dating back a few generations (6 and back) - is there still a market for these?

the ebay market for these things is pretty drat good and it's perfectly possible to get a couple hundo for a 6/5s in decent condition

dissss posted:

Why on earth would they do that? They've been bundling the same inadequate charger for years so fast charging isn't a priority and they don't expect anyone to actually connect the iPhone to a computer anymore.

it's hardly inadequate; it's not as if the speed difference even with the macbook charger is like night or day or anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxNXgUu7NQ

Social Animal posted:

At the very least I expected them to pack usbc to lightning cables with the new phones but I guess not.

even by apple standards it would be a bit rich to pack in a cable that doesn't work with the vast majority of your customer base's computers, home or at work.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 4, 2017

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
My iPhone 6 has lovely performance on iOS 11. Should I try a backup and restore or am I wasting my time? What exactly is the procedure for doing this through iTunes?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bigis posted:

My iPhone 6 has lovely performance on iOS 11. Should I try a backup and restore or am I wasting my time? What exactly is the procedure for doing this through iTunes?

If you're not using an Apple Watch on WatchOS4, you can just restore to 10.3.3 in iTunes, it's still being signed AFAIK

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's zero reason for Apple to switch iOS devices to USB-C. You could *maybe* make an argument for iPads Pro as they try to push them more into laptop replacement devices, but Lightning is a better connector than USB-C for use in iPhones other than being proprietary (but it's not like good third-party Lightning cables are more expensive than good USB-C cables that won't blow up your device, charger, or both).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

There's zero reason for Apple to switch iOS devices to USB-C. You could *maybe* make an argument for iPads Pro as they try to push them more into laptop replacement devices, but Lightning is a better connector than USB-C for use in iPhones other than being proprietary (but it's not like good third-party Lightning cables are more expensive than good USB-C cables that won't blow up your device, charger, or both).

I think the argument isn't to switch the port on the iPhone to USB-C but to include, as the default packed-in cable, a USB-C to Lightning cable instead of USB-A to Lightning.

I find merits to the argument (nearly all of the laptops Apple sells have exclusively USB-C ports, "courageously" moving past legacy ports) but I think it's just the inconsistency Apple displays that gets people worked more than anything.

They'll include a dongle for legacy headphone jacks but still insist on USB-A to Lightning cables which don't work for their laptops (the iMac still has USB 3.0 ports that'll accept USB-A).
They'll include support for USB Quick Charge but leave out the cables and power supplies necessary to realize those benefits.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Thwomp posted:

I think the argument isn't to switch the port on the iPhone to USB-C but to include, as the default packed-in cable, a USB-C to Lightning cable instead of USB-A to Lightning.

Well, the argument that was brought up here was explicitly on the phone; the OP said so last page. And I suspect we'll see no port at all before a switch to usb-c on the phone, though that'll require Qi charging to improve significantly first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fordan posted:

Well, the argument that was brought up here was explicitly on the phone; the OP said so last page. And I suspect we'll see no port at all before a switch to usb-c on the phone, though that'll require Qi charging to improve significantly first.
Yeah, I was replying to having it on the phone. There's plenty of good reasons to ship with a USB-C to Lightning cable, and it's pretty ridiculous that they're not doing that.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Suddenly Facebook Messenger has started to send me to Twitter in the AppStore whenever I try to open a Twitter link. It won't let me copy the url either so I can manually paste it into Safari.

How can I stop this disaster? I'm not interested in a Twitter account.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Has anyone had problems with the touch screen on the 8? Mine seems to start having trouble at night when I'm charging it and playing around with it in bed, specifically on the top half for the most part. I don't know if it's a lovely screen protector or a software/hardware issue.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sonos did an event today a lot of new changes but I guess AirPlay 2 support was one of them...?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
About loving time. I'm still interested to see a comparison with the HomePod and I'm weary of Alexa.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Don't wanna spam the thread but check the audio thread or Sonos subreddit for a lot of good info from the event

Gonna gently caress with my echo dot and Sonos now

Also new iOS Sonos app dropped about an hour ago

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Golashes posted:

Has anyone had problems with the touch screen on the 8? Mine seems to start having trouble at night when I'm charging it and playing around with it in bed, specifically on the top half for the most part. I don't know if it's a lovely screen protector or a software/hardware issue.

Are you using a third-party charger?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Also from a business standpoint wouldn't releasing Sonos airplay support be counter-intuitive considering the HomePod? Granted, apple doesn't have a 5.1 soundbar system (yet)

I mean maybe after the HomePod was released and established, sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also from a business standpoint wouldn't releasing Sonos airplay support be counter-intuitive considering the HomePod? Granted, apple doesn't have a 5.1 soundbar system (yet)

I mean maybe after the HomePod was released and established, sure

I thought Apple wanted Airplay 2 to be a standard (that they control) and allow other apps/hardware to use it.

It's great to hear, I hate the Sonos app (haven't tried the update yet though).

I could see homepod and sonos stuff coexisting just fine. Do they still carry sonos at the apple store?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

priznat posted:

I thought Apple wanted Airplay 2 to be a standard (that they control) and allow other apps/hardware to use it.

It's great to hear, I hate the Sonos app (haven't tried the update yet though).

I could see homepod and sonos stuff coexisting just fine. Do they still carry sonos at the apple store?

The sonos app was poo poo before, yeah. I'm still messing around with the new one. It's definitely better, but looks the same overall

At any rate it works with spotify connect so I just mostly use that via PC/phone

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Weedle posted:

Are you using a third-party charger?

nah the one that came with it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Generic Monk posted:

it's hardly inadequate; it's not as if the speed difference even with the macbook charger is like night or day or anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gxNXgUu7NQ

In my experience the difference between the little charger that came with my 7 Plus and the 10W one from an iPad is dramatic - it shaves like a third off the charge time

rio
Mar 20, 2008

dissss posted:

In my experience the difference between the little charger that came with my 7 Plus and the 10W one from an iPad is dramatic - it shaves like a third off the charge time

Same here. I haven't used a laptop charger but with some "fast charge" 3rd party chargers and iPad chargers I see a noticeable increase in charging power and can get up to 50% is about 30 minutes on the 8+.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Regarding 6S and iOS 11 battery life: Safari was absolutely destroying my battery life after update. I removed my content blocker app as an experiment and battery usage is much improved.

Not sure if that's directly applicable to all but worth a try.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can also get top quality/faster charging from good third party chargers too- the Anker PowerPort 4 I paid $20 for at a MicroCenter charges my 7 just as fast as Apple's 10W, costs just as much, and lets me charge three other USB devices at the same time.

Also comes in black so your cheetos stained hands don't stain it like a white one would.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ikea do a 3-port 5Volt charger, it's great.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I see a helluva a lot of chatting going on here but not a lot of links to said items 🤔

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ikea don't deliver online 😎

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe I'm just dumb, but how the gently caress do you import ics files into your calendar now?

Email it to myself, open it, the 'add all' button is gone. Put it on my website and tap it in safari, safari says it can't download the file. Can't import an ics through icloud.com.

Is importing simply a thing apple doesn't want us doing anymore?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just got my 8 and it's installing the update to 11.0.2. As it is using my existing phone to transfer through magic (I presume Bluetooth) can I have it restore the rest of the apps and data on the go without WiFi through that method or will it still use WiFi to pull everything down?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

shootforit posted:

My wife's 8+ developed a weird smudge overnight that won't wipe off. I fear it is under the glass somehow. We opened her phone new from the box last night, restored from her icloud backup, and everything worked fine and looked fine.

Fast forward to this morning, now the smudge is there. with the phone having only sat on a nightstand charging overnight.

We have an appointment tomorrow at the Genius Bar to hopefully get it switched out during the 14 day return period. Anyone seen this issue before?

So the wife took it to an Apple Store, and since we bought through AT&T, they can't do a straight up swap for a new device, but they can replace the display for free. Genius Bar guy said that the new display will still have the same warranty and that the water resistance will be just like a new phone.

Would have preferred a new device, but as long as the display is fixed we are happy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Just got my 8 and it's installing the update to 11.0.2. As it is using my existing phone to transfer through magic (I presume Bluetooth) can I have it restore the rest of the apps and data on the go without WiFi through that method or will it still use WiFi to pull everything down?

I think that just copies over settings and some other small stuff, not the actual content. You'd still have to restore from a backup. Could be wrong, though

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think that just copies over settings and some other small stuff, not the actual conten. You'd still have to restore from a backup. Could be wrong, though

Bah! Thanks. Was hoping to transfer it while I got in the car for a long drive.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

shootforit posted:

So the wife took it to an Apple Store, and since we bought through AT&T, they can't do a straight up swap for a new device, but they can replace the display for free. Genius Bar guy said that the new display will still have the same warranty and that the water resistance will be just like a new phone.

Would have preferred a new device, but as long as the display is fixed we are happy.

Do you have AppleCare+? I've just never heard of them not being able to do a device swap for that reason.

Good that they're fixing the display though - and you might get a new device if they open it up and find something else wrong with it, or if there are any issues post install. Just happened with my 6s when I took it in for a display swap.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

bug chaser chaser posted:

Do you have AppleCare+? I've just never heard of them not being able to do a device swap for that reason.

Since he didn’t buy it from them, they can’t do a simple return+exchange, instead of going through the repair process. They will fix it under warranty, but they’re obviously only going to do the cheapest fix necessary, which is to swap out the display. If swapping out the entire device is necessary, of course they can do it. As you note, that might happen anyway.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I cannot loving stand ios 11 on my phone. It's garbage. I hate control center. 100% of the time I go to pause a podcast on control center I skip back 30 or skip ahead 30. Super annoying.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I see a helluva a lot of chatting going on here but not a lot of links to said items 🤔

Okay here's a link to what I was beating my chest over:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/485368/Anker_Powerport_4

Aaaaand an Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8ENXE/

Neat charger with folding plug like Apple's, charges most iDevices, perfect for travel and lets you charge 3 other USB-connected devices simultaneously

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

GoldfishStew posted:

I cannot loving stand ios 11 on my phone. It's garbage. I hate control center. 100% of the time I go to pause a podcast on control center I skip back 30 or skip ahead 30. Super annoying.

Which size is your phone?

iOS 11 really seems to have been designed for the Plus (and I guess X) size first - the control centre works fine on my phone. It is pretty lol on my little brother's SE

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I have the best cell phone ever made, the iphone SE.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone else notice that apps are having to refresh more under ios11? A lot of my games before I could come back to the state they were in but now they are rebooting quite a lot.

This is on an 8+ too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dissss posted:

Which size is your phone?

iOS 11 really seems to have been designed for the Plus (and I guess X) size first - the control centre works fine on my phone. It is pretty lol on my little brother's SE