Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

FF6 has one or two re-translations. Some fans apparently have an issue with Ted Woolsey's localization. I personally don't think they're that great.

Here's one of them: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/697/

The one FFVI Fan Translation I've seen (not sure if it was that one) was very bad. Like even the creator said it was bad and was only doing it as a way to better learn Japanese. It was far too literal and very poorly written.

I'm pretty comfortable with the normal FF6 translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tree Dude posted:

I found a Breath of Fire 2 retranslation that at first glance is way better than the official one. Not that this is any great feat, that official translation was rough. Just wondering if there are any what other games might be out there that were fan translated to be an improvement over the actual release.

Any suggestions? Especially for SNES but I'm curious in the topic at large too.

There's one for FF Tactics that's insanely good but I think it was just taken from the PSP re-release rather than an translated by fans.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Digging around and I can't believe nobody has tackled Secret of Mana yet. Maybe this upcoming rerelease will actually make some amount of sense and somebody can take the text and stick it in an SNES rom.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I can't quite remember did someone re-do some Working Designs translations too? I think that came up earlier in the thread.

And kudos to the guys that can dump their cartridges and go flash cart only. I'm still in way too deep and way too attached to my carts to go cold turkey. Been slowly cutting out games that I have that I don't really enjoy playing, but got because the internet recommended them or they were super popular games at one time. I could force myself through them all but I'd be doing just that, forcing myself. The downside to this kind of clean out is you're left with a lot of average games that don't sell quickly.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fan re-translations are generally bad news. J2E's FF4 translation is an infamous example, the guy who runs Legends of Localization and has done several game translations professionally has a good breakdown on his site, he suspects everyone who had a hand in making it weren't all on the same page as far as what the project was meant to be and it's chock-full of amateur translation/localization issues.

At least for Final Fantasy, every game except VII and VIII with questionable translations on their first go, had much better new translations done for the newer versions of the games, although some lack the quirky charm of the first translations, and have their own issues themselves that may rub some people the wrong way. Final Fantasy Tactics is another, the PSP and mobile versions have a far better translation than the PS1 version.

One of the big problems with the NES and SNES is that there are some serious logistical complications to actually getting a higher volume of text in (which is frequently a major cause of stiff/limited translations). This goes beyond expanding the ROM, and into things like dealing with short item/spell names, or that a specific section may have a hard limit programmed in for how many text boxes there can be. A while back I attempted to wedge the GBA FF6 script into the US ROM of FF3 but I couldn't do it; it's a massive loving difference in terms of the sheer weight of the text and even adding an entire megabyte to the ROM wasn't enough to fit it all in, a fuckload of reworking would be necessary to do it. The newer version releases for FF were effectively reprogrammed and retooled (going to a different aspect ratio) and could be built to allow for various languages and their quirks a lot more readily.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 4, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Turbinosamente posted:

I can't quite remember did someone re-do some Working Designs translations too? I think that came up earlier in the thread.

You might be thinking of the patches to unfuck the difficulty in Popful Mail and Lunar 2.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

univbee posted:

A while back I attempted to wedge the GBA FF6 script into the US ROM of FF3 but I couldn't do it; it's a massive loving difference in terms of the sheer weight of the text and even adding an entire megabyte to the ROM wasn't enough to fit it all in, a fuckload of reworking would be necessary to do it. The newer version releases for FF were effectively reprogrammed and retooled (going to a different aspect ratio) and could be built to allow for various languages and their quirks a lot more readily.

That sucks to hear. I've been wondering why there weren't any ROMhacks floating around of the SNES Final Fantasies with the GBA translations, and that explains it.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Probably the best QoL hack of FFVI is this one: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/.

Keeps the Woolsey script while adding bug fixes and expands out things like spell names being -a -ara -aga instead of just numbered and canonical monster names.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

hexwren posted:

With pvms being a thing that are extremely annoying and expensive to get ahold of and my pretty good crt tv being a thing that will eventually die, and that thing that makes old consoles work on new tvs being like a zillion dollars and about to not be made anymore...am I just basically doomed in the long run?

There's still a US company making CRTs, museums buy them for video art pieces that require them.

They ain't cheap, but they're still around and will be for the time being.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

Digging around and I can't believe nobody has tackled Secret of Mana yet. Maybe this upcoming rerelease will actually make some amount of sense and somebody can take the text and stick it in an SNES rom.
Not a re-translation per-se, but Secret of Mana: VWF Edition hacks in a variable-width font (so that more text can fit on screen at once) and then edits and adjusts the story text to take advantage of it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A whole whole lot of retranslation patches are hilariously bad and from the era of the early 2000's where fan translators universally decided that Japanese is a language where they use "Bastard" as punctuation.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

Not a re-translation per-se, but Secret of Mana: VWF Edition hacks in a variable-width font (so that more text can fit on screen at once) and then edits and adjusts the story text to take advantage of it.

Why didn't the game just use that font in the first place? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Why didn't the game just use that font in the first place? :psyduck:

Secret of Mana's localisation was really rushed - they translated and programmed the entire thing in three weeks or something, from memory.

Variable-width fonts weren't commonplace to begin with, and I think Square only started doing it at Woolsey's insistence.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Variable width text doesn't really make sense for Japanese either so there's no reason why a game would already have support for it already, meaning it would need to be implemented just for the English version. Meaning extra effort that you don't always have the time or resources to spend on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

There's one for Terranigma too. The text in that game is loving miles apart.

It doesn't condense the content like this SoM one though so it has the weird side effect of making everything look more awkward, despite being more readable. It essentially bunches all the text in each line to the left, leaving a huge space of empty message box on the right.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

There's one for Terranigma too. The text in that game is loving miles apart.

It doesn't condense the content like this SoM one though so it has the weird side effect of making everything look more awkward, despite being more readable. It essentially bunches all the text in each line to the left, leaving a huge space of empty message box on the right.

Legends of Localization author mentions this happening with one of the games he translated too. Basically he was told the game was going to have a fixed-width font with a fixed per-line character limit, bent himself over backwards to make the text work with that (including manual line breaks), but then at some point they got variable width fonts working but no one told him (it may have been too late anyway) so the game has a lot of empty space to the right for everything.

Variable width pretty much automatically requires either a reprogramming of the game, or some foresight on a Japanese dev's part because variable width is explicitly "wrong" with Japanese; proper Japanese writing expects each character to fit in a square where they're all equally-sized. It's to the point where Japanese workbooks/notebooks, the kind you'd write proper amounts of text in, are similar to graph paper.

This is drilled in with Japanese schooling to the point where even quick "chicken scratch" notes will follow this pretty closely just due to muscle memory.

And it's a bit of a case of the people manipulating the game code to work with the translation may not have the closest contact with the people actually doing the translation. You even see this with people making dubs for movies and TV, the "audio" dubbers might not know what's happening as far as on-screen graphical changes and weird things can happen because they're not the same team.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/LuigiThirty/status/915588272344231937

:smug: Well that's 2 of the 3 good Jaguar games down

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Huh. I knew Jaguar carts had handles, but not there were multiple handle variants.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

Huh. I knew Jaguar carts had handles, but not there were multiple handle variants.

Well having multiple handle variants proved so popular for the Lynx, why not do them again?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

univbee posted:

That's just the angle of the shot I think. Both handles look identical

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah it's the angle, they both have the same curved handle.

Now I need to find a rotary controller for Tempest 2000...

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
There's a Phantasy Star 1 retranslation. It seems somewhat less charming than the original (Lassic is a cooler name for the big bad than LaSheic, Odin is a cooler name for your fighter than Tylon, several enemy names) but you can actually follow the hints given by townspeople which is nearly impossible in the original translation. Furthermore, they added extra text space so the Crc. Sld. becomes Ceramic Shield.

Most importantly though the retranslated version includes the FM sound.

fake edit: I assume the names I mentioned above fit into the canon better than the original translation ones, I just subjectively prefer the old ones.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Tree Dude posted:

I found a Breath of Fire 2 retranslation that at first glance is way better than the official one. Not that this is any great feat, that official translation was rough. Just wondering if there are any what other games might be out there that were fan translated to be an improvement over the actual release.

Any suggestions? Especially for SNES but I'm curious in the topic at large too.

Oh oh oh, I worked on one of those!

http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN

This is a re-translation of the original Phantasy Star on the Master System. To me this is the definitive version of the game now:

- Text is now mixed-case instead of all-caps

- Four lines on screen at once instead of two

- Has the FM audio that is exclusive to the Japanese version

The script was re-translated from scratch, and I did a sort of "localization" pass re-writing the whole thing to feel professional. I also added some (very restrained) color to the dialogue, based on what seemed to be the original intent, and with a tiny bit of lore from the official manual and guide book that was published at the time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Phantasy Star one is one of the few I've used that are really good, yeah.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I hate when you guys start talking about Phantasy Star because I have to replay it every single time. I think it's just that it was one of the very first video games I ever played, but I love it so much and it's why I'm a huge SMS mark even though it's one of like 8 actually good games for the system.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

RichterIX posted:

I hate when you guys start talking about Phantasy Star because I have to replay it every single time. I think it's just that it was one of the very first video games I ever played, but I love it so much and it's why I'm a huge SMS mark even though it's one of like 8 actually good games for the system.
Now you've got me curious what those eight would be.

My guess:

Phantasy Star
Fantasy Zone 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Chaos
Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion
Mickey Mouse in Land of Illusion
Asterix (going by HG101's article, anyway)

And that's not even looking at Alex Kidd, Shinobi, or aftermarket conversions by fans of things like Sonic Triple Trouble or Tails Adventures... Plus I forgot Kenseiden, Golden Axe Warriors, Donald Duck in Deep Duck Trouble... hrmm.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I have a backlog of RPGs that's going on 20 years now (sigh), which includes FF1-6. I picked up the ones remade on GBA when they came out ~10 years ago and FF3 for the DS. Aside from the lower resolution graphics and suboptimal audio, are the GBA versions still the best bet in terms of translations?

I also occasionally toy with the idea of picking up the FF4 remake for DS, but I don't know if I really want to own two versions of a game I probably won't ever get around to playing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I also occasionally toy with the idea of picking up the FF4 remake for DS, but I don't know if I really want to own two versions of a game I probably won't ever get around.
I may be in the minority here, but I loving hate FFIV DS. Gameplay-wise it feels like one of those hard mode romhacks (enemies hit super hard and you get so little money you can never afford any healing items especially in the early game), the graphics are hideous as is so often the case with polygon graphics on the DS, and the dialog was far less cringe-worthy when it wasn't voiced. I'd much rather play the GBA version, or the Anniversary port for the PSP which uses the same translation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like I've seen equal amounts of people on both sides of FFIV DS.

Personally, I love it, because I appreciate both the increased difficulty and the additional options you can do with the augment abilities. The latter unfortunately requires looking up where they are and how to distribute them, but having already played the game a half dozen times previously I didn't mind doing so.

My ideal FFIV would be the gameplay in DS with the SNES/GBA look.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Play the PSP version because it's gorgeous (but none of the sequel stuff that's on the same disc).

I like the DS version but it looks bad and does kind of assume you have some sort of familiarity with the game or the series with it's difficulty.

Don't bother with OG FF2 or 3, or at the very least, not the DS version of the latter. It's worse than the NES version.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Shadow Hog posted:

Now you've got me curious what those eight would be.

My guess:

Phantasy Star
Fantasy Zone 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Chaos
Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion
Mickey Mouse in Land of Illusion
Asterix (going by HG101's article, anyway)

And that's not even looking at Alex Kidd, Shinobi, or aftermarket conversions by fans of things like Sonic Triple Trouble or Tails Adventures... Plus I forgot Kenseiden, Golden Axe Warriors, Donald Duck in Deep Duck Trouble... hrmm.

My list is heavily tinged by nostalgia but:

Phantasy Star
Fantasy Zone 2
Zillion
Golvellius
R-Type
Wonder Boy III
Double Dragon
Alex Kidd in Miracle World

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, this is a different take on doing things retro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcYW9dTAUw

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Seems like a roundabout way to do that considering Cuphead already has a black and white mode that's technically another hard mode.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

RichterIX posted:

My list is heavily tinged by nostalgia but:

Phantasy Star
Fantasy Zone 2
Zillion
Golvellius
R-Type
Wonder Boy III
Double Dragon
Alex Kidd in Miracle World

This is pretty much my list as well. Zillion rules. Was so upset when I bought Zillion 2 and it was totally unrelated to original gameplay wise.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Making an anime tie in game a Impossible Mission ripoff was such a weird decision.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah it's the angle, they both have the same curved handle.

Now I need to find a rotary controller for Tempest 2000...

I bought one from this dude:

http://stores.ebay.com/nicolaspersijnsrotarycontrollers?rmvSB=true

He doesn't have any up right now, but he might make one if you ask. The one I got is really well done.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Elliotw2 posted:

A whole whole lot of retranslation patches are hilariously bad and from the era of the early 2000's where fan translators universally decided that Japanese is a language where they use "Bastard" as punctuation.

I blame this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That poor woman must have a crippling S-bend in her spine to lay like that :ohdear:.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

This is probably because there's a lot of words used in other languages as slangy insults that reference materials pretty much just default to "bastard" with. I'm sure this problem was a lot worse in the 90s/2000s too. Like try to translate anything with slang with google translate and you'll probably get it as the suggestion still. Some kind of catch-all "that dude I am insulting" response, I guess. Presumably final fantasy weebs just went "well that's what my dictionary says, must be accurate and remain faithful to the text!!" and slapped it in there.

There were similar issues that led to translations adding in lots of shits and fucks or whatever because of misunderstanding Japanese swearing and emphasis etc that I'm probably even less qualified to post about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anukahn
Jul 22, 2006

My brain hurts
Hi retro games thread, trying here after various unsuccessful tries in dedicated threads for finding games, in a desesperate attempt that somebody else played this in any platform. Although I did on PC, the more I think about it the more it seems like a port from some console.
Screenshot from memory and using Sabre Tooth as a base, as it's the most similar one that I've been able to find.

The objective of the game was something like collecting letters that then got stored at a side of the screen. I vaguely remember a space theme but can be imagining it.
It had the life counted with bars lost when the “bad guys” touched your character, you could get life back with chicken that was around the map.
The “bad guys” were basically balls/with spikes? that bounced in a preset movement that you had to get around.

If any other 1985 kid remembers...

• Locked thread