Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it would be cool to see revisions to some of the more useful map modes. like yeah i know europe is mad that i ate rome and castile. if i could just see the aggressive expansion number on the coalition map mode instead of hovering over each country it would be nice.

also when i check the unrest map mode it's not because i want to see 90% of my country in bright green 0 unrest. make those grey so i can identify the .3 unrest provinces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't like the upgrade thing.

Choosing between the +3 advisor and the +1 that gives you the precise bonus you need is an interesting choice.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Anyone else getting weird AI issues lately? I've had two wars in a row in which all countries involved just parked their troops stacks in their capitals and other big cities, and sometimes wiggled a bit back and forth.

Never had that bug so bad, but yea it happens. I've reported it a couple of times and the only solution I have found is reloading the game or in case of allies, send some troops they can attach to. Neither solution works 100%

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Anyone else getting weird AI issues lately? I've had two wars in a row in which all countries involved just parked their troops stacks in their capitals and other big cities, and sometimes wiggled a bit back and forth.

It usually has to do with naval invasions, iirc. The Ai can get stuck trying to think about them and refuse to move ever because naval invasions are a sort of weird edge case in how enemy army AI usually works. Reloading the game helps a lot of the time, as does giving them a new target or changing their AI mode if they're subjects. Pretty much anything that'll make them reevaluate what to do with their army.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

V for Vegas posted:

I don't know why people complain so much about feature bloat - I love tinkering around with all the different sub-systems and if Paradox want to put more into the game I say more power to them - stuff that game so full of bars and buttons and mana trackers that you can't go a month without the game going 'ding' because some number container reach its new level so you can upgrade some widget.

It's bloat when the systems aren't interacting. Army professionalism having no relation to army tradition, ages having barely any relation to institutions, things like China's mandate being tied wholly devastation that came in its expansion and not also lots of other things in the game that should affect it. There are countless examples. They keep adding lots of discrete systems on top of other discrete systems rather than integrating them all into some greater whole. I don't think it's that bad like some people do, the game is still great fun and I think gets more so with every expansion, but this has been an issue for most of the game's lifespan and rather than addressing it, Paradox has just been doubling down.

Where I think the bloat is totally fine is in regional flavor. All the new mana types and unit types and so on for individual countries is great imo, since it's something unique for each play through and it doesn't feel so redundant when there's just one or two unique systems to keep track of.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Kuiperdolin posted:

I don't like the upgrade thing.

Choosing between the +3 advisor and the +1 that gives you the precise bonus you need is an interesting choice.

It also makes redundant an existing feature - the ability to dismiss advisors and get new ones. No one is going to dismiss that +1 Commandant to get a chance at a +2 or +3 if they can just level him up instead.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mountaineer posted:

It also makes redundant an existing feature - the ability to dismiss advisors and get new ones. No one is going to dismiss that +1 Commandant to get a chance at a +2 or +3 if they can just level him up instead.

You can still dismiss him hoping for a morale guy, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mountaineer posted:

Thats the point of the feature though. If you have a colonization range guy and are trying to get a Trader, you can dismiss the Colony guy in the hopes of getting a trader. If you already have a Trader and just want him to go from a +1 DIP to +2 DIP, you can pay to promote/upgrade/whatever.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Speaking of advisors, is it supposed to be one +3 advisor and then +1 for the rest of the slots when I'm swimming in money?
I feel like the 1s should at least be lvl 2 guys.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MrBling posted:

Speaking of advisors, is it supposed to be one +3 advisor and then +1 for the rest of the slots when I'm swimming in money?

Which advisors you get is a dark and terrible magic that is best not delved into. The best you can do is fire them, wait, and pray.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Koramei posted:

It's bloat when the systems aren't interacting. Army professionalism having no relation to army tradition, ages having barely any relation to institutions, things like China's mandate being tied wholly devastation that came in its expansion and not also lots of other things in the game that should affect it. There are countless examples. They keep adding lots of discrete systems on top of other discrete systems rather than integrating them all into some greater whole. I don't think it's that bad like some people do, the game is still great fun and I think gets more so with every expansion, but this has been an issue for most of the game's lifespan and rather than addressing it, Paradox has just been doubling down.

Where I think the bloat is totally fine is in regional flavor. All the new mana types and unit types and so on for individual countries is great imo, since it's something unique for each play through and it doesn't feel so redundant when there's just one or two unique systems to keep track of.

I'm starting to really hate their DLC but they still make the game better; they just also prevent the game from being made better still by making a more cohesive gameplay experience. And from a personal perspective I'm not going to buy DLC that just gives me a bunch more buttons to press without having any meaningful decisionmaking component.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I've been slowly playing through a First Come, First Serve run since the 0 cost Siberian Frontiers and was planning on trying to do For Odin! at the same time, but I wasn't playing very aggressively because filling out the Americas and beating up colonial nations is still very tedious and I was running speed 5 the whole time. I just got First Come, First Serve, but now it's around 1760. I have footholds in Spain and the Netherlands to easily attack Great Britain and Scandinavia and can beat them up easily, but am I too late to convert all their land to Norse? I can easily start a new game to try again outside of America, I just don't want to waste my time as there isn't much time left in the campaign. I have 2 missionaries and religious ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I've been slowly playing through a First Come, First Serve run since the 0 cost Siberian Frontiers and was planning on trying to do For Odin! at the same time, but I wasn't playing very aggressively because filling out the Americas and beating up colonial nations is still very tedious and I was running speed 5 the whole time. I just got First Come, First Serve, but now it's around 1760. I have footholds in Spain and the Netherlands to easily attack Great Britain and Scandinavia and can beat them up easily, but am I too late to convert all their land to Norse? I can easily start a new game to try again outside of America, I just don't want to waste my time as there isn't much time left in the campaign. I have 2 missionaries and religious ideas.
You still have 60 years, but that is a lot of potentially high development land to convert. I think you could do it if you are currently immensely powerful and rich, because you will need huge numbers of soldiers to keep coalitions off of you. If I was going to try it I would make sure to have a Missionary advisor employed, admin focus for all of the coring, and a plan on convert now while waiting to core vs core now and convert later, along with planning on building a Cathedral in any high dev provinces or simply most provinces while they are waiting for a missionary to be available. Also if you have an extra state you can state a state but dont actually core it, but activate the Missionary Strength Edict, then remove the state when you are done converting everything.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I honestly don't like paradox's DLC policy and I think they have become more and more overpriced for what you get. They do add new things and some of them really changed the game, but there are several things I don't like about them. The price it self, 20€ for an expansion that adds a couple of new functions at best is really overpriced and the fact that they rarely go on sale these days and never for more than 50% is starting to keep me away. When the next expansion comes, I would have to spend 50€ just to get up to date. The base game is still sold for 40€ on steam, so the buy-in for any new player is insane at this point (around +200€ just for the feature adding dlc + basegame).
Secondly dlc like mandate and third Rome seems to be unbalanced and leaves you with an odd choice. Do you want a really powerful Ming and Russia or really week (more for Russia than Ming).
Third Rome, the so called immersion pack really annoys me, having to buy a dlc just to get a country to work as intended is a bad precedence and it's something they apparently have been doing with Hearts of Iron 4.
I dont mind the unit skins or music packs since they don't add any features, but are just nice to have if you like that and I've bought a ton of them.
Generally I'm starting to agree with all bad reviews and downvotes on steam, where I used to like their dlc. But that was before they started charging 20€ and leaving the game unbalanced.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The thing is, the free patch content is still really good, and it kind of makes sense that the DLC is going to be overpriced because implicitly subsidises non-DLC-buyers getting that patch content for free. You should always look at the patch as well when considering what you're "really" getting for the cost of the DLC.

I agree that the regional stuff is being done really badly though, since the relative power levels are way off.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Atreiden posted:

I honestly don't like paradox's DLC policy and I think they have become more and more overpriced for what you get. They do add new things and some of them really changed the game, but there are several things I don't like about them. The price it self, 20€ for an expansion that adds a couple of new functions at best is really overpriced and the fact that they rarely go on sale these days and never for more than 50% is starting to keep me away. When the next expansion comes, I would have to spend 50€ just to get up to date. The base game is still sold for 40€ on steam, so the buy-in for any new player is insane at this point (around +200€ just for the feature adding dlc + basegame).
Secondly dlc like mandate and third Rome seems to be unbalanced and leaves you with an odd choice. Do you want a really powerful Ming and Russia or really week (more for Russia than Ming).
Third Rome, the so called immersion pack really annoys me, having to buy a dlc just to get a country to work as intended is a bad precedence and it's something they apparently have been doing with Hearts of Iron 4.
I dont mind the unit skins or music packs since they don't add any features, but are just nice to have if you like that and I've bought a ton of them.
Generally I'm starting to agree with all bad reviews and downvotes on steam, where I used to like their dlc. But that was before they started charging 20€ and leaving the game unbalanced.

That's not really what Third Rome does. Third Rome is bad because it's pretty much Pay2Win DLC for Russia, which is kind of the opposite of making it work as intended.

I also always thought that complaints about their DLC policy kind of melted when you can just ignore them and even ignore any new patches if you want. Like, if you thought the game was really good at some point, you can just freeze the game there if you want.

I will, however, still join you in being annoyed at them moving on so casually without even really trying to fix the problems with MoH. Or even really acknowledging that there are any problems.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Anyone got much experience with this mod Common Universalis? At a glance it sounds like it adds some interesting stuff without making GBS threads the game up with a million new provinces.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

unless i'm misunderstanding, why not just all +3?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

AnoHito posted:

That's not really what Third Rome does. Third Rome is bad because it's pretty much Pay2Win DLC for Russia, which is kind of the opposite of making it work as intended.

Well since they aren't fixing Ming or nerfing third Rome Russia, it's clearly working as intended.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

appropriatemetaphor posted:

unless i'm misunderstanding, why not just all +3?
He is saying that when he goes to hire an advisor, regardless of how rich he is, there is one +3 Advisor and two +1 Advisors available. This is what I always experience even when so rich that I can afford to get the Grand Armada achievement without a sweat. It is kinda annoying and if you want to boot the advisors in the hopes of getting a better one next month, it means you are going months without one, or you have to hire one and churn the rest hoping to find a better one. Really annoying either way.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Honestly it would be nice if they actually reworked advisors. It's kind of silly that some give insanely good bonuses and others are basically useless and that it is completely random what you got access to. Being able to level them up is a nice semi-fix, since you can take that nice level 1 +10% moral guy and make him a +3. But it still leaves a lot of useless advisers and the whole randomness left.
I also think you should be able to hire different kind of advisors from estates, possibly based on idea groups. It just seems odd that nobles can only be diplomats and not some form of military advisor for instance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet, feature bloat is any new feature that you don't like

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

He is saying that when he goes to hire an advisor, regardless of how rich he is, there is one +3 Advisor and two +1 Advisors available. This is what I always experience even when so rich that I can afford to get the Grand Armada achievement without a sweat. It is kinda annoying and if you want to boot the advisors in the hopes of getting a better one next month, it means you are going months without one, or you have to hire one and churn the rest hoping to find a better one. Really annoying either way.

ah gotcha, so to get a new +3 to reroll you have to hire/dismiss the +3 that's there, and even then you'll only even have a single +3 in the pool? As opposed to like, the game saying "hey you have tons of ducats, here are three +3 advisors".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Atreiden posted:

Honestly it would be nice if they actually reworked advisors. It's kind of silly that some give insanely good bonuses and others are basically useless and that it is completely random what you got access to. Being able to level them up is a nice semi-fix, since you can take that nice level 1 +10% moral guy and make him a +3. But it still leaves a lot of useless advisers and the whole randomness left.
I also think you should be able to hire different kind of advisors from estates, possibly based on idea groups. It just seems odd that nobles can only be diplomats and not some form of military advisor for instance.

On that last point, I particularly dislike this because it makes having access to Cossacks (estate) even better, since it guarantees a good half price mil advisor (and it's an army reformer guaranteed which is one of the best choices).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

QuarkJets posted:

In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet, feature bloat is any new feature that you don't like

Well duh, you still got to try and rationalize it a bit.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ah gotcha, so to get a new +3 to reroll you have to hire/dismiss the +3 that's there, and even then you'll only even have a single +3 in the pool? As opposed to like, the game saying "hey you have tons of ducats, here are three +3 advisors".

Yeah I run into that problem all the time too, I can be making hundreds of ducats per month (profit) but the game is like "it looks like you've got enough development for a +3 adviser but maybe you're really into penny pinching, here are some +1s"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The more I think about the changes to Janissaries the more I dislike it from both a gameplay and a historical perspective. I think 50 MIL MP for a small number of more expensive infantry that get a 10% reduction to shock and fire damage and come with a disaster down the road is pretty piss poor compared to Russian Streltzy, which have an a-historical bonus and cost no MP and have no associated disaster.

Exactly. If there is a +3 Manpower guy and a +1 Morale guy and a +1 Discipline guy, if you cycle all three you will still only get a +3 and two +1s each and every time. So you could end up with a +3 Fort Defense guy that you really dont need and +1 morale/discipline guys again.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Russia's supposed to ramp up strength slowly over the course of the game, the Ottomans are supposed to peak in the mid-game and then have a slow decline. I think the new Janissaries sound fine, it's just Streltzy that are overpowered.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

What Russia really needs are special artillery regiments now. You know, so you can just use manpower for reinforcing regiments and not have to worry about recruiting things the normal way.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Are +3 advisors supposed to be more of a late/end-game thing or what?

Or do y'all just use it as a "Oh gently caress I'm really behind on x monarch points time to splurge and catch up"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I take whatever level of adviser I can afford because monarch points are usually more valuable than the handful of ducats that better advisers cost

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

QuarkJets posted:

I take whatever level of adviser I can afford because monarch points are usually more valuable than the handful of ducats that better advisers cost

This. Basically any method to convert ducats into MP is worth it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

On that last point, I particularly dislike this because it makes having access to Cossacks (estate) even better, since it guarantees a good half price mil advisor (and it's an army reformer guaranteed which is one of the best choices).

But that's like how the dlc works. I don't really see the problem with making Cossacks slightly better if it helps fix advisors. Though like I said before, I think the price for older dlc should go way down or possibly become free updates at some point.
On that note, I'm kind of annoyed about absolute monarchies being removed. Without access to ages, absolutism sucks.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

QuarkJets posted:

I tend to go economy first, advisors second wrt spending my ducats.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Marxalot posted:

Are +3 advisors supposed to be more of a late/end-game thing or what?

Or do y'all just use it as a "Oh gently caress I'm really behind on x monarch points time to splurge and catch up"?
It is never "Oh gently caress I'm really behind" its "Oh I can afford this +3 Admin guy and his monthly upkeep? Sold!" because more MP is way more valuable than more ducats.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

I tend to go economy first, advisors second wrt spending my ducats.

Well it all depends on what you need to be doing, right? If you're in a region where ducats are harder to come by then ducats are the more valuable resource, because you need some amount of ducats to get by. But in a lot of regions you can set up an insane ducats feedback loop, either by colonization or trade or both, or just plain old beating people up and taking their lunch money, and sooner or later you run out of useful things to buy

And if you have any provinces with high trade value, or Gold, then investing Diplo beefing up those trade goods lets you afford a better Diplo advisor: win-win!

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
A little disappointed this isn't an achievement. Still got the one Dithmarschen related one for taking both Sjælland and Holland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nosfereefer posted:

A little disappointed this isn't an achievement. Still got the one Dithmarschen related one for taking both Sjælland and Holland.

Is that a Multiplayer game or have the Ottomans gone completely ham?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is that a Multiplayer game or have the Ottomans gone completely ham?

The Ottomans have gone completely out of ham.

Bengal won thunderdome, Lithuania collapsed into a very successful Poltosk on day one, and France never really got anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I kind of like that Ottomans sometimes does that. In my last game as Holland/Netherlands they conquered all of Hungary, Austria and northern Italy and would probably have gone further, if I hadn't been bored enough to drive them out. In my current game, they have stopped Russia from forming and eaten most of Lithuania, though I've been conquering their core land, so they are in a decline now. Still it's a bit odd in my game, that no other nation have started to dogpile them. they border a big Persia and a decent size Moscow. And they hold Hungarian core territory, with Hungary being allied with a fairly big Austria.

• Locked thread