Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

McNally posted:

What is this devilry?

Imagine the bellhop that helped him wheel his arsenal up; if there were any, what they'd be feeling about now.

edit "Well, he said he had a bunch of tools, and that's what that Gunshop owner calls them so..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Doc Hawkins posted:

This definitely also applies to doctors. Even ones besides Ben Carson. Oh, and there's all the engineers who spend their retirement as cranks trying to disprove relativity, quantum field theory, or the round earth.

It also applies ten million percent to us software-writers. See for example Soylent and all the other one-weird-trick-style startups.

It takes years to mentally get over that. For example, right now I've just asked a physicist mate of mine about a bunch of physics I have no clue about. I'm a mathematician, surely I could grok that physics? Lol no, it's complex as gently caress and no I can't. Some people never, ever, get over that. I know I shouldn't poo poo on Doctors but they're the worst I've come across for that.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

The internet has made stupidity amazingly fast and efficient. Before you actually had to work on your conspiracy theory idiocy, really spend some time and dedication on the process to hand craft a finely honed instrument of retarded mental gymnastics to set yourself above the sheeple by knowing the REAL truth.

Now you can just crowd source your dumb bullshit and a million people will all pitch in to mass produce your stupid and spread it around the world instantly. Kinda sad that the old ways are falling out of fashion.

What will the honest string manufacturers do if they lose the insane conspiracy web connection market. :ohdear:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Mr Nice!, you are (or almost) a Law Talkin' Guy, why would the guilty verdict be dismissed?

Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio's presidential pardon accepted by federal judge

While the guy who wrote that article apparently has the courthouse beat, he's terrible at it.
The judge properly dismissed the case in accordance with the pardon. She did not "dismiss the jury's verdict," whatever that even means.
That Arpaio was found guilty still exists as a legal, factual matter.
Arpaio's attorney's have filed a motion asking that the judge also 'dismiss' the legal fact that he was convicted. The judge has not yet ruled on that motion. I expect that motion will be denied.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hexyflexy posted:

It takes years to mentally get over that. For example, right now I've just asked a physicist mate of mine about a bunch of physics I have no clue about. I'm a mathematician, surely I could grok that physics? Lol no, it's complex as gently caress and no I can't. Some people never, ever, get over that. I know I shouldn't poo poo on Doctors but they're the worst I've come across for that.

I would theorize that it has to do with the fact that academics deal with people in disciples they know nothing about on a frequent basis, but doctors don't really deal with anyone outside of medicine much and even the most specialized doctor has to have a pretty solid understanding across all medical disciplines.

Just my theory tho

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah Joat hit everything I was going to say but more complete and eloquently. Basically pardons are only good if they're accepted. Arpaio had to formally accept his pardon, which is entered into record now by the judge.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I work with a crapload of doctors (both PhD and MD ones) and it's terrifying watching them near sharp objects (except for the surgeons) or dealing with literally anything that isn't their specific field. One of our statisticians switched to vaping because he kept somehow breaking his bic lighters, and then also somehow catching his pants on fire with them. He would accidentally sit on the lighter and then flick ashes on his pantleg. Repeatedly.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

joat mon posted:

While the guy who wrote that article apparently has the courthouse beat, he's terrible at it.
The judge properly dismissed the case in accordance with the pardon. She did not "dismiss the jury's verdict," whatever that even means.
That Arpaio was found guilty still exists as a legal, factual matter.
Arpaio's attorney's have filed a motion asking that the judge also 'dismiss' the legal fact that he was convicted. The judge has not yet ruled on that motion. I expect that motion will be denied.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah Joat hit everything I was going to say but more complete and eloquently. Basically pardons are only good if they're accepted. Arpaio had to formally accept his pardon, which is entered into record now by the judge.

Thanks y'all, that article didn't make a lot of sense so that's why I asked.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I work with a crapload of doctors (both PhD and MD ones) and it's terrifying watching them near sharp objects (except for the surgeons) or dealing with literally anything that isn't their specific field. One of our statisticians switched to vaping because he kept somehow breaking his bic lighters, and then also somehow catching his pants on fire with them. He would accidentally sit on the lighter and then flick ashes on his pantleg. Repeatedly.

Don't get me started on academics that should be in a mental home. One of my favourites disconnected the grounding cables from the inside of every bit of equipment in his lab. Everything. I was there with a mate trying to figure out why he had noise problems on his recorders, how can I put it, I was rather surprised when we dismantled one of them. Well, thanks dumbass.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Thanks y'all, that article didn't make a lot of sense so that's why I asked.

Yeah it's all part of the process. This all got hammered out by the SCOTUS in the Burdick case. Basically Woodrow Wilson tried to get a newspaper editor to reveal sources. He refused, in part because of the risk of self incrimination. He refused to accept the pardon and Wilson was trying to force it on him. SCOTUS came down and said that you can't force someone to accept a pardon and it has to be presented as accepted to a court to be valid.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hexyflexy posted:

Back in ye old days probably a good 40% of our business was physicians, namely radiology groups, cardiologists and hospitals. We were the first local IT company to start doing PACS integration and other imaging poo poo. Anytime some MD wanted to impress everyone by spending a pile of money with Siemens or GE, we got involved. It was great money but gently caress me sideways managing the egos of everyone involved was tiresome. Yes you spent 7 years or whatever in school thats great but it means gently caress and all to what we're doing now please do away and gently caress your nurses or something. We finally got out of it all after the groups just kept getting larger and suddenly they were getting inhouse IT 'staff' that shared the last name of the physicians. Now we've got a dermatologist and a podiatrist and thats it. Never medical, never again.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Still early reporting but three US SF Soldiers were killed and two injured during a Joint US-Niger patrol that was in an ambush in Niger.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1C936G

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sold a gun to an IRS agent that dude is sooooo not invited to the next bbq

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Still early reporting but three US SF Soldiers were killed and two injured during a Joint US-Niger patrol that was in an ambush in Niger.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1C936G

Better article:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/04/politics/us-forces-hostile-fire-niger/index.html

quote:

(CNN)Three US troops were killed and two others were wounded in southwest Niger near the Mali-Niger border when a joint US-Nigerien patrol was attacked Wednesday, two administration officials told CNN.

The administration officials added that the two wounded US Special Operations Forces members had been evacuated to the capital, Niamey, and would soon be moved to Germany. They were described by the officials as being in a "stable condition."
The officials cautioned that this was still an early assessment.
The US troops were part of a team advising and assisting local forces when they were attacked.
US Navy Lt. Cmdr. Anthony Falvo, a spokesman for Africa Command, which oversees US operations in the region, told CNN late Wednesday that "a joint US and Nigerien patrol came under hostile fire in southwest Niger," but said that the military was still "working to confirm details on the incident."

President Donald Trump was briefed on the attack by by chief of staff John Kelly, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said Wednesday night.
The US military has maintained a small presence in the northwest African country with small groups of US Special Operations Forces advising local troops as they battle two terrorist groups, the ISIS affiliated Boko Haram and al Qaeda's North African branch, al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.
Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb has maintained a presence in the Mali-Niger border area, despite a multi-year French-led military counterterrorism effort, Operation Barkhane, which began in 2014.
The US military has largely played a supporting role, providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance assets in support French forces operating in Mali and Niger. The French operation involves thousands of French troops as well as forces from Germany, Mali, Niger and other countries in the region.
"US forces are in Niger to provide training and security assistance to the Nigerien Armed Forces, including support for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance efforts, in their efforts to target violent extremist organizations in the region," Falvo said, adding "one aspect of that is training, advising and assisting the Nigeriens in order to increase their ability to bring stability and security to their people."
The US is also in the process of establishing a new drone base just outside the city of Agadez in Niger in an effort to bolster regional counterterrorism efforts.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, that area has been really hot with jihadi activity lately. The whole Malian/Burkinabe/Nigerien border areas have been a mess in terms of attacks aimed at the UN and the French.

I remember hearing that Delta had/has a bunch of small camps to facilitate better raiding around those areas. Wonder if it was them who got hit.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I don't get how people familiar with high-adrenaline environments can be so incredibly trusting of the perceptions of people describing the scariest moment of their lives.

I find people who are super pro guns that talk about how some random hero citizen with a gun is going to stop a shooting kind of weird. Like i just dont follow the logic, you expect a civilian (cause the odds of a combat vet being involved is astronomically low) to successfully place rounds on a target at distance who is probably shooting around or even in their general direction in the middle of the most stressful situation they will ever be in after this civilian has had all the adrenal in their body dumped into their blood stream. Like shooting under stress is a thing that the military practices and drills incessantly because being able to do it consistently and when it counts is such a hard thing to do and Bob the Gun Owner just expects to be able to put rounds on target and not get shot by first responders while doing it. idk man

e: also i work in the medical field, albeit on the IT side and doctors are retarded

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 5, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They've watched too many movies.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I find people who are super pro guns that talk about how some random hero citizen with a gun is going to stop a shooting kind of weird. Like i just dont follow the logic, you expect a civilian (cause the odds of a combat vet being involved is astronomically low) to successfully place rounds on a target at distance who is probably shooting around or even in their general direction in the middle of the most stressful situation they will ever be in after this civilian has had all the adrenal in their body dumped into their blood stream. Like shooting under stress is a thing that the military practices and drills incessantly because being able to do it consistently and when it counts is such a hard thing to do and Bob the Gun Owner just expects to be able to put rounds on target and not get shot by first responders while doing it. idk man

right wing ideas of masculinity are hilariously bizarre

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Has there been a case where a shooter was stopped after opening fire by civilians? You'd assume there'd be one right? The only times I can remember "good guy with a gun" "working" is when a dude tries to rob a minimart or something with a gun and the owner or some by stander caps them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

KildarX posted:

Has there been a case where a shooter was stopped after opening fire by civilians? You'd assume there'd be one right? The only times I can remember "good guy with a gun" "working" is when a dude tries to rob a minimart or something with a gun and the owner or some by stander caps them.

Texas A&M shooter. Also, someone in Tennessee maybe? IDK, I'm in Tennessee this week and everyone is talking about how much safer they feel down here because everyone is packing heat and how it stopped some shooter in Tennessee once.

Because obviously nobody at a country music concert was packing heat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

KildarX posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

I think there was a more recent example in the last year but it's on the tip of my tongue.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

e: also i work in the medical field, albeit on the IT side and doctors are retarded

I've given up arguing. "Yeh, that isn't how a gun works", or "Yeh, erm that isn't why a formed up bunch of troops actually do that" is pretty pointless. I don't even know how you'd explain suppression fire to the idiots.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

KildarX posted:

I think a CCW holder stopped someone from shooting up a church, I want to say in Alabama?

EDIT

Mississippi, that was it.

BigDave fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 5, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

well than

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh yeah someone recently stopped someone from shooting up the rest of a church after they'd already shot a bunch of people in that same church by shooting them. Mission accomplished.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The exact circumstances are a bit murky but there's speculation that a CCW holder confronted the Clackamas Town Center shooter in Oregon a few years back but didn't fire because he was worried about hitting other people in the background. Whatever the case, the shooter suck-started his AR shortly thereafter.

Gun culture is pretty gross. The whole action hero fetishization is absurd, and the idea that carrying a gun makes you more of a man is very off putting. I'm really ok with CCW, but shut up and be discreet about your decision to do so and quit thinking you're a hero waiting to ride to the occasion. You're not John McClain.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This is some report on the Vegas shooting.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/las-vegas-strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/

The shooter broke two windows in his suite, one with line of sight on the crowd, another with line of sight on aviation fuel tanks, roughly 2,000 feet away (667 yards). The fuel tanks got hit by bullets, but the bullets only left holes and didn't penetrate (no idea if the tanks would've blown up).

That could explain a lot, or absolutely nothing!

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

This is some report on the Vegas shooting.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/the-strip/las-vegas-strip-shooter-targeted-aviation-fuel-tanks-source-says/

The shooter broke two windows in his suite, one with line of sight on the crowd, another with line of sight on aviation fuel tanks, roughly 2,000 feet away (667 yards). The fuel tanks got hit by bullets, but the bullets only left holes and didn't penetrate (no idea if the tanks would've blown up).

That could explain a lot, or absolutely nothing!

Well good luck shooting Jet-A, but gently caress me. That's fairly ambitious.
Unless it was Avgas a bullet won't do crap to it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KildarX posted:

It happens a few times per year. Home invasions are stopped by armed residents far more often.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
He displayed a serious amount of planning

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waroduce posted:

He displayed a serious amount of planning

C+ on execution then, I guess

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

C+ on execution then, I guess

I'd say the Execution was A+ if the guy is dead.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
imagine having insurance that saves a couple hundred people a year, but in return a few thousand(at best) are sacrificed to Khorne.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hexyflexy posted:

Well good luck shooting Jet-A, but gently caress me. That's fairly ambitious.
Unless it was Avgas a bullet won't do crap to it.

Yeah, there's all the proof I need to be like "yeah, the guy was just an untrained rear end in a top hat who just sprayed a lot of fire down on a crowd." whenever I run into any idiot that spouts "ONLY A PROFESSIONAL COULD HAVE DONE WHAT HE DID"

Though part of it is funny to me in that he along with most civilians have the idea that shooting at any fuel tank=automatic explosion. Thanks movies and tv!

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I bet a 50 cal would go through those tanks. Make a note.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

Yeah, there's all the proof I need to be like "yeah, the guy was just an untrained rear end in a top hat who just sprayed a lot of fire down on a crowd." whenever I run into any idiot that spouts "ONLY A PROFESSIONAL COULD HAVE DONE WHAT HE DID"

Though part of it is funny to me in that he along with most civilians have the idea that shooting at any fuel tank=automatic explosion. Thanks movies and tv!

Wouldn't incendiary/tracer rounds burn above the 100F flash point of jet A fuel? Although I imagine he'd need armor piercing rounds to pierce the tanks themselves

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Suicide Watch posted:

Wouldn't incendiary/tracer rounds burn above the 100F flash point of jet A fuel? Although I imagine he'd need armor piercing rounds to pierce the tanks themselves

IDK, maybe. I'm just making fun of the fact that he and most people seem to think that any old rifle or pistol round will cause a massive fuel tank explosion.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

It's really, really hard to set on fire at normal atmospheric conditions, to the point I could sit in a puddle of it and find it hard to set fire to the stuff. And the walls of those tanks aren't that thick, god, a sabot from an M1A1 would hit one side, go out the other and I can't tell you with reasonable accuracy how many miles it'd go, but lets say a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Suicide Watch posted:

Nah, tracers don't burn long enough. Punching through the tanks would be no trick, but you'd need something to ignite the fuel after it spilled. A few pounds of tannerite in a backpack would do nicely.

• Locked thread