Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I started a new survival game and installed some damage rebalance mods. They increase the player and AI's damage to 4x, and headshot damage is 20x both ways. Combat is super punishing and fun. I could kill raiders with one shot in the torso with a pipe rifle at level 1, but I still die all the time. I'd recommend giving a similar modifier layout a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I feel like this is an unrealistic hope, but I'd really like to see some light multiplayer in the next game. I like building settlements and it's relaxing to spend a couple of hours building something nice, but at the same time it's kind of unfulfilling that it's just for me to run around in and not something I can easily share with other players. I'd also love to see a better build interface with 3D mouse support, but I recognize that it's such a small niche that it's unlikely that they would bother to include it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Liquid Communism posted:

Deathclaws are something FO4 did well. They're legit scary, especially the first one you fight that just shrugs off minigun rounds.

That part of the game where you jump off the roof in power armor is the worst part of the game for me. They mess up with fallout 3 by giving you power armor 10 minutes before you finish the game and then they put it 10 minutes into fallout 4.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

That part of the game where you jump off the roof in power armor is the worst part of the game for me. They mess up with fallout 3 by giving you power armor 10 minutes before you finish the game and then they put it 10 minutes into fallout 4.

The fact that it requires fusion cores and you move very slowly means I never use power armour after you acquire it. Having it tied to a limited resource bugs me and I hate having to think about it so I don't even bother.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The lumbering gait you get while wearing power armour makes it seem like you're moving slower but it really doesn't make much of a difference. It's ability to negate fall damage and adding the jet pack so you can reach high ledges considerably improves your mobility if anything. You will also probably have hundreds of power cores a few hours in and certainly more than you could ever hope to use by the time you've poked through half the map. Taking the Scrounger perks further increases the number of cores you collect through the game as well since they also count as ammunition. The Nuclear Physicist perk also considerably extends their life if you're really that worried.

As for how soon you get it, I don't really mind. It's one of the iconic parts of the Fallout universe and giving you a suit early on allows you to slowly poke away at it as you get more and better equipment and mods. Plus, you can grab a suit of the best power armour in the game as soon as you leave the Temple of Trials in Fallout 2 if you know what you're doing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Psychotic Weasel posted:

As for how soon you get it, I don't really mind. It's one of the iconic parts of the Fallout universe and giving you a suit early on allows you to slowly poke away at it as you get more and better equipment and mods. Plus, you can grab a suit of the best power armour in the game as soon as you leave the Temple of Trials in Fallout 2 if you know what you're doing.

On later runs of fallout 2, I would run down to San Francisco to get power armor also. There's a huge difference from saving and running across the map hoping you don't get any overworld fights to do that versus the second place you go once you get out of the vault and start the game.

You don't get to see the map before walking the tiles or have some npc show you. I also don't remember if you can walk over the rivers.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 19, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fusion cores being consumable bugs me too, even if intellectually I know I'll never run out.

also, I have the freefall legs.

The Power Armour in Concord really should've been Raider Power Armour. Keeping the 'real' Power Armor rarer and letting you build it up over time would've worked much better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MikeJF posted:

Fusion cores being consumable bugs me too, even if intellectually I know I'll never run out.

also, I have the freefall legs.

The Power Armour in Concord really should've been Raider Power Armour. Keeping the 'real' Power Armor rarer and letting you build it up over time would've worked much better.

Its still the weakest version of the second weakest tier and the deathclaw can still kill you in two hits at the higher difficulties

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know, but there's a glamor and coolness to getting real power armour as opposed to scraps of metal welded to a frame.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Popete posted:

The fact that it requires fusion cores and you move very slowly means I never use power armour after you acquire it. Having it tied to a limited resource bugs me and I hate having to think about it so I don't even bother.
I'm the same way; the only time I used power armor again after Concord was to go through the Glowing Sea.

It doesn't make much sense, I know; I had so many drat power cores by the end of the game that I'm pretty sure I could've worn the stuff full-time without ever running low on them, and I'm fairly sure that power armor either doesn't penalize stealth or at least wouldn't reduce it by much, and I even kinda liked the "power armor as vehicle" thing FO4 used, but still....I just didn't want to use it, ever, and I never felt like I needed to.

Maybe it was the sound effects, or the HUD change, but probably it was mostly that FO4 seemed perfectly happy catering to my sneak-in-and-snipe-everything playstyle, and that's not one that actually needs power armor to work, ever.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It is amazing how much the Jetpack changes the game. It's almost on the level of "you can use levitate spells again" except that they don't really use it properly at any point. Still, getting on top of stuff, being able to almost engage in tactical maneuvers and other stuff is cool

The fact that you can't use it except with power armour and that it eats fatigue like nobodies bidniss is just poo poo but hey, thems the breaks for that game

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Fusion cores have just enough scarcity that I'm reluctant to use power armor, because I can't just walk into any gas station to top off and I don't want to actually have to manage my core count. Don't like to feel under time pressure while I'm leisurely looting and I especially don't want to abandon my customized armor in a random building because I ran out of power and it'd take an hour to walk back.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It is amazing how much the Jetpack changes the game. It's almost on the level of "you can use levitate spells again" except that they don't really use it properly at any point. Still, getting on top of stuff, being able to almost engage in tactical maneuvers and other stuff is cool

The fact that you can't use it except with power armour and that it eats fatigue like nobodies bidniss is just poo poo but hey, thems the breaks for that game

UCO has a jetpack you can craft that's independent from power armor.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I had a sudden burst of clarity a little while ago - what if BethSoft's continual milking of Skyrim (NOW ON TOASTER OVENS!) and their hurry to push out Creation Club is them literally buying time to ditch the Gamebryo engine for good and replace it with a newer, shinier engine for Fallout 5?

Let's be honest here - BethSoft is dogshit at plot writing, but amazing at the technical and emergent gameplay in their RPGs. One thing they could and should do is ditch Gamebryo/Creation engine in favor of something that works better. None of the other BethSoft-published studios - id, Machine, Arkane - release their poo poo with bugs that have to be fixed by the community. Gamebryo is severely limiting BethSoft's ability to really knock things out of the park with their next game.

Or, more likely, their next game is a Fallout-themed cashgrab. 50/50 on it being Yet Another Digital TCG or a PUBG clone. This is more in keeping with their actions lately, unfortunately.

isndl
May 2, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

I had a sudden burst of clarity a little while ago - what if BethSoft's continual milking of Skyrim (NOW ON TOASTER OVENS!) and their hurry to push out Creation Club is them literally buying time to ditch the Gamebryo engine for good and replace it with a newer, shinier engine for Fallout 5?

Let's be honest here - BethSoft is dogshit at plot writing, but amazing at the technical and emergent gameplay in their RPGs. One thing they could and should do is ditch Gamebryo/Creation engine in favor of something that works better. None of the other BethSoft-published studios - id, Machine, Arkane - release their poo poo with bugs that have to be fixed by the community. Gamebryo is severely limiting BethSoft's ability to really knock things out of the park with their next game.

Or, more likely, their next game is a Fallout-themed cashgrab. 50/50 on it being Yet Another Digital TCG or a PUBG clone. This is more in keeping with their actions lately, unfortunately.

Why would they need to 'buy time'? Bethesda is already making tons of money off Skyrim/Fallout, it's not like they're in financial straits. They also completely overhauled the engine already when they made Skyrim, ripping out the old renderer for a brand new one and switching the scripting engine to one that supports modern features like objects and threading. The data structures the game uses resemble the original Morrowind release, but just about everything else under the hood is new which is why they were trying to rebrand it as the Creation Engine.

What seems to be readily apparent is that they're (still) trying to figure out how to monetize their massive modding base, which has been the core of the popularity of their games for generations of releases now. At the same time they're trying to push modding culture onto consoles and receiving pushback from Sony on implementation and they want a workaround. Skyrim has a well-developed modding culture (moreso than FO4 I'm guessing, at any rate) and bringing those users on-board is going to be just as important as getting FO4 players in the Creation Club at the end of the day. It's also relatively cheap to implement CC for Skyrim, since the process of preparing Skyrim for release on consoles was likely essentially backporting the FO4 engine updates.

I've no worries about a TCG or PUBG clone as the next game at any rate, there's zero reason for them to be pushing Bethesda Game Studios off their cash cow game engine which they've been working on for a couple decades. They'd be pushing that on one of the other development teams under the Bethesda Softworks umbrella.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its the rumored space rpg game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the creation engine could be capable of a great deal more if Bethesda just had a decent asset/environment optimisation toolchain. A ridiculous amount of problems with the performance and last-gen look are straight-up their fault. That's why there are a huge number of mods that can greatly increase graphical quality for virtually no performance hit.

That said, the scripting system, even with the Skyrim upgrades, needs another overhaul to support better narratives, complex scenarios and agent density.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 19, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

One thing they could and should do is ditch Gamebryo/Creation engine in favor of something that works better.
They won't, nor should they.
The Creation Engine in and of itself is not a bad engine. People tend to throw poo poo like "It's old!:byodood:" around without understanding that something new made from scratch doesn't necesarily mean better. Or that every sane developer reuses old code where possible.
Or - and this is the most important bit - that it doesn't matter that you have the fanciest screwdriver ever made if you're just going to use like a hammer. So you have an engine that supports the latest graphical whatsits? Great. But if you're using it to make a corridor with brown textures and dump a green lighting filter over it, then that doesn't really matter much. It seems that it's only with FO4 that Bethesda remembered that colours are a thing that exist.

As for bugs & glitches: No engine wil miraculously fix developers' mistakes. The problem there is with Bethesda's QA practices. I know I repeat this a lot, but in game where the main focus is fighting dragons, they released a patch that caused dragons to fly backwards.
Also another issue is the discipline of Bethesda's devs. This could be related to them being a relatively tiny studio and devs being overworked. But a staggering number of bugs are basic things like a > where there should be a <. I have no idea what their dev process looks like, but it seems like a lot could be fixed by devs simply checking their work before submitting it.

Edit:

MikeJF posted:

That said, the scripting system, even with the Skyrim upgrades, needs another overhaul to support better narratives, complex scenarios and agent density.
You can do a lot of complex things with Papyrus script, aliases, scenes and other functionality in the CK. Even the Radiant system can be used to do neat things. The problem is more that Bethesda doesn't do anything but the most basic poo poo with it.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 19, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everything I've seen makes me think that Bethesda has a bunch of rear end in a top hat managers who are all everything must produce deliverables! and disregard basic poo poo like tooling or QA or optimising or even things like complex quests that would be more of a timesink to create.

Raygereio posted:

You can do a lot of complex things with Papyrus script, aliases, scenes and other functionality in the CK. Even the Radiant system can be used to do neat things. The problem is more that Bethesda doesn't do anything but the most basic poo poo with it.

In a certain ways yes, but you can't manage the local area for critical beats very well, and there are some storytelling and direction basics that can only be achieved with far too laborious and manual tweaking. You're too railroaded when you want it to be reactive, and it's too chaotic and wierd when you want predictability.

On a totally different note, a decent dynamic skeletal animation system with NPC physical awareness wouldn't go amiss either.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 19, 2017

isndl
May 2, 2012

Raygereio posted:

The game is already buggy enough with the simple stuff, of course they aren't going to try anything more complex or they'll never be able to figure out why everything is broken. :allears:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Tenzarin posted:

On later runs of fallout 2, I would run down to San Francisco to get power armor also.
You can head straight to Navarro to grab the suit of APA Mk. II without having to go anywhere else so far as I can remember. Just running past or killing the guy at the gas station (who I'm pretty sure is also unarmed), take the secret hatch and run straight to the storage room. There's not a single other person you run into on the way.

But unlike Fallout 2, the power armour in Fallout 4 doesn't make you neigh on invincible, so I don't mind that you find a suit to play around with right at the beginning. Cores are also scarce enough around Concord that if you ran straight for it you'd have enough power to kill the deathclaw and park it in Sanctuary then have to go look for more so it is something you still need to work towards.

I prefer it when games introduce you to everything quickly, or at least a timely manner instead of waiting until the very end of the game to hand you something that trivializes everything or introduces a new mechanic you use maybe once in the last 10 minutes of the game. It's not like you find a full suit of X-01 Mk.6 waiting for you next to a chest of fusion cores right off the bat.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 19, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You can head straight to Navarro to grab the suit of APA Mk. II without having to go anywhere else so far as I can remember.

Navarro isn't on the map until you get the quest from the brotherhood of steel in San Fran. So you have to go all the way to San Fran, then to Navarro, then back to San Fran or Arroyo without running into an Enclave patrol on the world map that blows you to bits. http://fallout.alteredgamer.com/fallout-2/80518-the-navarro-run-power-armor-exploit/

It is a huge difference being that the first quest in fallout 4 leads you to the power armor. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Out_of_Time

Almost every explorable building has some fusion power generator with a core for you pick up.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 19, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The lumbering gait you get while wearing power armour makes it seem like you're moving slower but it really doesn't make much of a difference. It's ability to negate fall damage and adding the jet pack so you can reach high ledges considerably improves your mobility if anything.

Actually, you move a little over 80% as fast in power armor as you do when walking. Sheer drops are no longer a worry, but any water too deep to wade is going to reduce you to one step above "immovable object".

Which is another place the jetpack comes in handy, at least for the narrower bodies of water.

Also in addition to overriding the armor ratings of what you're wearing, all the non-armor effects of anything you're wearing go bye-bye.

Power armor is a legitimate alternate travel and combat mode, with its own pros and cons and upgrade path, instead of a really good suit of armor with a bunch of extra polygons on it. And if you're going to take that direction, giving you effectively a junker suit in the tutorial, unupgraded and half-damaged in parts, makes sense as a way of showing people what power armor is now.

Though I'd like some official equivalent to the mod that gets your power armor to you in the field, whether it's an Institute teleport, a Vertibird delivery, or the Minutemen loading it into a cannon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Glazius posted:

Also in addition to overriding the armor ratings of what you're wearing, all the non-armor effects of anything you're wearing go bye-bye.

Which includes something like 30% movement speed bonus for my current outfit, so it's all a fairly big slowdown.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Some bitching about Vault 75: After reading the first few log entries scattered about I assumed that the gunners standing around were just a warm up/distraction, and that when I got to the secret part of the vault I would then be fighting the genetically modified ubermensch psychotic program remnants, since they'd been built up by all the logs as being superhumanly fast and strong and therefore ripe for fighting with.

But no, that would have required effort, and so instead I killed a bunch of generic gunners and read some more log entries and then left.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what it is about the log entries on FO4, but they are so generic and dull to me. I liked the corporate espionage in the new Vegas log entries between the Repconn and Robco buildings, where the new hire who dismantled the Repconn staff was actually a spy fir the Chinese trying to snatch the plasma gun prototype. There's really not much like that in FO4 apart from the adapting raider terminals depending on which boss you've killed.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thekeeshman posted:

Some bitching about Vault 75: After reading the first few log entries scattered about I assumed that the gunners standing around were just a warm up/distraction, and that when I got to the secret part of the vault I would then be fighting the genetically modified ubermensch psychotic program remnants, since they'd been built up by all the logs as being superhumanly fast and strong and therefore ripe for fighting with.

But no, that would have required effort, and so instead I killed a bunch of generic gunners and read some more log entries and then left.

I have good news and I have bad news. Bad news first.

The bad news is, humanity is not ten generations of inbreeding away from speed-freak superhumans.

The good news is, culture can be significantly altered in that time frame. And you already had your fight with the program's output.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Get the Nuka Girl outfit mod.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"This aspect of the Bethesda game is hideously inadequate and underdeveloped/lame/poo poo"

"Someone had fixed it for Bethesda! Just go through a few hoops and you'll be right as rain!"

I'm imagining trying to apply this level of effort in another media. Maybe not just writing an ending to a book and having people send you the ending, then picking one out?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

"This aspect of the Bethesda game is hideously inadequate and underdeveloped/lame/poo poo"

"Someone had fixed it for Bethesda! Just go through a few hoops and you'll be right as rain!"

I'm imagining trying to apply this level of effort in another media. Maybe not just writing an ending to a book and having people send you the ending, then picking one out?

Well, I mean. You own the game. Presumably in a format that "sell it and buy Cuphead/Morphite/Heat Signature" is not an option.

You might as well grab a mod and have fun with it.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

How about coming up with a ridiculously convoluted interpretation that (X) is actually really good and any dissenters are too stupid to understand the brilliance within?

On an unrelated topic, have you seen CineD discuss the Star Wars prequels?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

I have good news and I have bad news. Bad news first.

The bad news is, humanity is not ten generations of inbreeding away from speed-freak superhumans.

The good news is, culture can be significantly altered in that time frame. And you already had your fight with the program's output.

Yeah, it's heavily implied the Gunners are the descendants of Vault 75 thanks to its constant military training programs. Nothing confirmed, of course, but still.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Did we already talked about Chris Avellone's Facebook picture update? Is it time to get excited!? I need a W this week.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

antidote posted:

Did we already talked about Chris Avellone's Facebook picture update? Is it time to get excited!? I need a W this week.

You wanna clue us in for the people that don't have FB and/or don't personally follow game devs?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Inzombiac posted:

You wanna clue us in for the people that don't have FB and/or don't personally follow game devs?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/chris-avellone-new-fallout

fairly simple cartoon of the fallout pip-boy hugging a balloon and the caption "I missed you so much".

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Sorry, wasn't trying to be cryptic. I don't personally follow him, just saw it mentioned on a few gaming sites.

As mentioned above. Not sure if it means anything, but... Maybe?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
He might just be celebrating the anniversary. I don't think he'd be allowed to leak, even hint at a new game if he was actually involved. That said, it's hard not to read that image as anything but a reunion (of Avellone and Fallout). I'd be elated.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fallout New Vegas 2, smaller than the first one but more focused, written by Avellone and made by ??? while the main Bethesda team works on their main ~~secret projects~~

yeah sure, I could see that

isndl
May 2, 2012
Maybe Bethesda is finally talking the endless criticism of their writing to heart and hired someone known for the job. A man can dream, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, I bet they're really taking it to heart...

I'd look forward to another Fallout game regardless of who made it - Avellone' recent interview saying he'd like to so something around the Boneyard sounded pretty good. If they are indeed doing another entry I hope they stick with that.

• Locked thread