Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ben Burtt owns. RIP you were the Imperial officer in the Endor bunker who said freeze and got a box thrown into your poo poo and you fell over the one guard rail in the galaxy

And he tried to manually Wilhelm on the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The Ewoks, sophisticated people that they were, also possessed guard rail technology.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zoran posted:

The Ewoks, sophisticated people that they were, also possessed guard rail technology.

That's pretty telling of the level of compromise that goes into Imperial construction projects. I wonder if there was an accountant who found out that without railings, the Death Star have money for another reactor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Zoran posted:

Guard rails are for the weak.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

That's pretty telling of the level of compromise that goes into Imperial construction projects. I wonder if there was an accountant who found out that without railings, the Death Star have money for another reactor.

I mean, the Empire is Lucas skewering big bloated imperialism - vast wealth and power, enough to build a moon that destroys planets, but no care for basic safety measures or for the lives of those who compose the empire.

Prescient given that much later America would to wage a war in Iraq but not bother to armor up the vehicles or give their soldiers body armor.

Star Wars is about America and The Empire is the United States government - or at least a portion of it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ingmar terdman posted:

Ben Burtt owns. RIP you were the Imperial officer in the Endor bunker who said freeze and got a box thrown into your poo poo and you fell over the one guard rail in the galaxy

Never understood that. Was the bunker just the top part of a larger, buried structure?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Never understood that. Was the bunker just the top part of a larger, buried structure?

Yeah, it's a shield generator powerful enough to cover the entire DS2. You can see the masses of equipment behind the rail Burtt's character gets knocked over.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh thank god guys, the new Star Wars book fills in all the plot holes of A New Hope, all of cinema has been saved. Bless you Lord Walt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srjEuHQEKqI

The best part is that the Imperial officers don't shoot down C-3PO and R2-D2's escape pod because it would negatively affect their K/D ratio. I'm not loving joking.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Haha, it was only a year or two ago when I realized that during the quad cannon fight, there's two corpses just rattling around in the Falcon stash spots. Thanks for ruining this Disney

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ingmar terdman posted:

Haha, it was only a year or two ago when I realized that during the quad cannon fight, there's two corpses just rattling around in the Falcon stash spots. Thanks for ruining this Disney

Holy poo poo.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Zoran posted:

Holy poo poo.

Yeah. I had to think about that for a minute but once it clicked I was like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CS7j5I6aOc

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's also the minute possibility that Chewbecca may have eaten them at later point.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Jesus that video. The book isn't there to fill in secret histories and plot holes. It's a charming set of loving borderline joke stories and some of them are extremely silly. To jump excitedly to 'here's the plot hole this filled in' seems to be missing the spirit of the thing entirely, turning it into a series of facts.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The stories are (other than the one that's a literal joke comic book panel) still canonical though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Sure, but at the same time if your first port of call after reading is to add this new information to you fileofax of star wars facts?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, the book is a celebration of the 40th. Sure it's canon, but it's more about paying tribute the edges/borders of ANH. Some straight up canon addressing stories, some jokey cameos, some fun romps.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maaaaaaaaaaan, those robot Palpatine sentinels are creepy/cool as gently caress.

Battlefront II looking like it’s gonna deliver from everything i’ve seen from it thus far. The open beta starts Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5T5dC24U6A

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 6, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

The stories are (other than the one that's a literal joke comic book panel) still canonical though.

"Canonical" here doesn't actually mean anything but agreement with corporate authority.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Canonical" here doesn't actually mean anything but agreement o corporate authority.

No, "canonical" refers to a story's status within the continuity. If it "happened" or not relative to other stories.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well yeah, that's absolutely meaningless. "This fictional event is in historical continuity with other fictional works, as stated by the Disney corporation."

It does prove that fandom is an attempt to replace religion with pop culture, with property holders filling in the role of bishops and ecumenical councils.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well yeah, that's absolutely meaningless. "This fictional event is in historical continuity with other fictional works, as stated by the Disney corporation."

This is literally no different than any other fictional universe with multiple stories in it. Canonical status informs as to which other tales have relevance to the work being read/watched.

Look at what James Cameron is doing with Terminator; he's coming back to tell another Terminator story, holding on the original film and T2 as canonical to it. If someone walked in expecting the stories of T3, Salvation, genesis, the Sarah Connor Chronicles, or any of the novels to be respected, they'd be some combination of lost, confused, or upset.

Sure, from an objective standpoint, the canonical status of fiction is meaningless. As meaningless, in fact, as the work of fiction itself. But that's not the point.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The head of the whole canon story group thing honestly has a pretty solid attitude to it. He's very well versed in the lore but also very much 'don't sweat the details' and ' this is a different story doing a different thing' when things conflict tonally or canonically.

It pisses off the grogs and he seems happy about it. I approve.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ShineDog posted:

The head of the whole canon story group thing honestly has a pretty solid attitude to it. He's very well versed in the lore but also very much 'don't sweat the details' and ' this is a different story doing a different thing' when things conflict tonally or canonically.

It pisses off the grogs and he seems happy about it. I approve.

Yeah, getting hung up on the pointless minutiae is usually not the point. (For example, in Motti's story in FACPOV, he mentioned the people in attendance in the officer's briefing showing in ANH; he includes Jerjerrod, but doesn't name Yularen. This clearly is in contradiction to what's on screen...but neither of those characters have lines or particular relevance to the tale, so it doesn't really matter or "hurt" anything). But if canonical status didn't matter, we could walk into The Last Jedi in a couple months and suddenly Han is alive again, and he and Leia have three kids, a set of twins and a younger son.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I hope they include easter egg references to the Legends canon in The Last Jedi. I know they will.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taintrunner posted:

Oh thank god guys, the new Star Wars book fills in all the plot holes of A New Hope, all of cinema has been saved. Bless you Lord Walt!

The best part is that the Imperial officers don't shoot down C-3PO and R2-D2's escape pod because it would negatively affect their K/D ratio. I'm not loving joking.

There is no way this dude isn't getting Disney money.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Taintrunner posted:

There is no way this dude isn't getting Disney money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Getting a weird "page number does not exist" error when trying to view the most recent page. Posting to see if that unsticks things!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pablo Hidalgo even tweeted a whole thread about midichlorians being a sign the Jedi, not Lucas, was wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

This is literally no different than any other fictional universe with multiple stories in it. Canonical status informs as to which other tales have relevance to the work being read/watched.

Not at all. If a relationship between two texts can each other can be determined by property-holder's fiat, then that relationship is completely meaningless. That a completely fictional "history" inside texts can be declared and manipulated by a relevant authority is completely absurd.

You've managed to convince yourself that we've always been at war with Eastasia.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 6, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

jivjov posted:

Getting a weird "page number does not exist" error when trying to view the most recent page. Posting to see if that unsticks things!

I'm having the same thing happen. I had to jump through hoops just to see this post.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Gonz posted:

Maaaaaaaaaaan, those robot Palpatine sentinels are creepy/cool as gently caress.

Battlefront II looking like it’s gonna deliver from everything i’ve seen from it thus far. The open beta starts next Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5T5dC24U6A

I'm not sure if I can express why, but I think that white uniform of the 'General' or whoever looks loving amazing

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Star Wars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I don’t know why the forum is telling me the last page of this thread doesn’t exist.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wonder when we'll be seeing a new trailer for TLJ.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I can't read any new replies in this thread, and i'm just assuming this is posting, but this is what I see when I click on the most recent page. This isn't happening with any othetr SA threads that I know of.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Just have to get to the next page

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Before the ninth Star Wars movie, Episode VIII, comes out, I will watch its eight predecessors. But before I can begin I need to know where to begin. What viewing order? Release order? Chronological? Reverse release order? Other (please specify)? Thank you for your feedback.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I can't see page 1051 and I assume noone else can? Is it just going to be a full page of people asking? Prequels are good.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is this thread broken? It keeps telling me the last page doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
:wtc: is going on with this thread? It won't let me view the last page???

edit: weird. Working normally now.

• Locked thread