Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hi! First, watch this:

https://twitter.com/KayinAmoh/status/927206724452470784

Okay now read the rest of the OP.

The Evil Within, known in Japan under the amazing title of Psycho Break, is a third-person survival horror shooter developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda. It was released on basically every gaming platform that exists (PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbone, PC) in October 2014.

The game centers on protagonist and extremely gorgeous detective Sebastian Castellanos as he is pulled through a distorted world full of nightmarish locations and monsters beyond your wildest imagination. He is confronted by Ruvik, the master of the strange nightmare he has been drawn into, and must find his way through this hell in a desperate struggle to survive. The game is directed by Shinji Mikami, creator of the Resident Evil series as well as the director of Resident Evil 4. You uh, might notice his influence here and there.

For the record, I did a let's play of this game a year or two ago because it's one of my favorite horror games of all time, which makes people give me strange looks or type "..." when I say it! In case you didn't understand the plot of the first game, or can't remember what happened, here is a video I made for the LP that clears absolutely everything up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzZowmDBOGo

Or rather, everything that can be cleared up. If you don't wanna play the first game for whatever reason, watching that video will tell you everything you need to know.

The first game features a side plot about Sebastian's family life before the events of the game, specifically how it fell apart due to his wife getting too close to discovering a shadowy organization's disturbing experiments. She was brainwashed into their fold and his daughter killed in a fire to keep him away from the truth... but come to find out, his daughter is actually alive.

The Evil Within 2 sees Sebastian return to the twisted world of STEM to find his daughter and hopefully escape with his life. There is an entirely new cast of jerks out to take over the collective consciousness and really ruin Seb's day. In the process he will discover the truth about his family and STEM's new deranged inhabitants, as well as exploding the heads of approximately a billion zombie-like reanimated monsters with several sweet totally customizable firearms. Video games are cool like that.

The game features a totally overhauled upgrade system from the first game, as well as a new crafting system that allows you to customize your weapons to make them more efficient in certain situations. The stealth and controls have been tuned as well to not be nearly as clunky- they appear to be distinctly more like The Last Of Us in preview videos and so on.

Yes and no. It's not directed by him specifically as The Evil Within was, but he is still deeply involved with the project and is overseeing the game's development. If this disappoints you, don't worry about it, as most of the team that made the first game unique, grisly, and cool is returning as well.

The Evil Within 2 released on good ol' Friday the 13th of October, a refreshing change from the Tuesday Release Hell we now know in 2017. It came out on Xbone, PS4 (yes it has a Pro patch), and PC. The PC version got special attention this time after the first game's port was not so great, and it runs fantastic as long as you meet the requirements!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdoT05oLeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7JbFBq4NAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_qCz0IsMc

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am super pumped for this, by the way. This game is going to be great and scare the daylights out of me.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Perhaps the evil was within the friends we made along the way?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

It's out this year?

Dang that's really close.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Was a huge fan of the first one, so I'm super pumped for this.

As sad as this is, the one thing I really hope makes a return is the wall of safes, because I'm a ludicrous ammo hoarder and knowing that I have extra ammo back at the safe zone is the only thing that makes me feel comfortable actually using the guns :sigh:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh man, hell yes! Evil Within 2! Somebody needs to go tell Cjacobs!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FisheyStix posted:

Oh man, hell yes! Evil Within 2! Somebody needs to go tell Cjacobs!

I'm glad I got to put my let's play OP making skills to good use.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Was a huge fan of the first one, so I'm super pumped for this.

As sad as this is, the one thing I really hope makes a return is the wall of safes, because I'm a ludicrous ammo hoarder and knowing that I have extra ammo back at the safe zone is the only thing that makes me feel comfortable actually using the guns :sigh:

I felt the same way during my first playthrough tbh, but it got easier once I upgraded my revolver capacity until I could carry around 50 extra rounds in my pocket and like 12 in the cylinder because that makes sense :shepface:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Can't wait for this game to come out! It's going to be baller!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy it when someone can tell me if there's less instant death traps/bosses that chase you this time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll buy it when someone can tell me if there's less instant death traps/bosses that chase you this time.

I also hope the bosses suck less, cuz honestly I think they were the weakest bit of the first game. They were all big bulky monsters that knock you around and otherwise immobilize you and kill you very fast and could only be beaten without a lotta pain via a couple specific tactics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still can't hear Clair details Lune without breaking into a cold sweat.

Loved the first game so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I am super pumped for this, by the way. This game is going to be great and scare the daylights out of me.

That's when you find out at the end the Evil was within you all along and you are actually Shinji Mikami.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Interested in this game but it sounds like they replaced Sebastian's voice actor and prefer how he sounded on the first game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sakurazuka posted:

The only boss like thing we've seen so far is Not-Laura with a buzzsaw that chases you so

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

marshmallow creep posted:

Interested in this game but it sounds like they replaced Sebastian's voice actor and prefer how he sounded on the first game.

I know, I am very disappointed about this!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do you ever get a minimap in the first one, or do areas start being smaller? I'm in the forest in chapter 3 and it's confusing as heck and I keep getting that survival horror :ohdear: did I miss some ammo or upgrade gel? thing

also gently caress bear traps forever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Do you ever get a minimap in the first one, or do areas start being smaller? I'm in the forest in chapter 3 and it's confusing as heck and I keep getting that survival horror :ohdear: did I miss some ammo or upgrade gel? thing

It becomes much more linear very shortly. The Evil Within is three or four different games smashed together, all of them with problems.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

The Evil Within goes back and forth between being a sorta linear game where you go from encounter to encounter, and spots like the one you're in now, where you're in a single large area and how you get through it is up to you. After this it tapers off for a little while but there are a couple chapters later on that bust the game wide open again.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing stuff, the game employs RE4's level of dynamic item drops. The thing I think is so brilliant about it though is that the game waits until you are critically low on something before it starts dropping it en masse. If you're nearly out of pistol bullets, you're most likely gonna find like 5 or 6 in the next ammo pickup. If you have a bunch, it won't drop any at all and you'll get mostly green gel or other supplies instead. Basically the way it works is that the game defaults to giving you gel, and when you're low on supplies you'll get those instead.

edit: And that's why it's important to utilize everything in your inventory at least a little bit. If you hoard your shotgun ammo, the game will still drop it in small amounts from time to time regardless, but you won't be able to pick it up! And so on.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 4, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oxxidation posted:

It becomes much more linear very shortly. The Evil Within is three or four different games smashed together, all of them with problems.

I can agree with this statement. I came off my initial playthrough of Evil Within with whiplash.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
There were some issues with the first game, yeah, but it scratched that RE4 itch so good that I am coming back for more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the first game had a very tangible issue of not quite knowing what it wanted to be, which is pretty standard for the first iteration of a new IP. They had a ton of different ideas to implement and not all of them really jived together, so they used the frequent shifting of the world itself as an excuse to throw all of it in. Whether that was a good idea or not, I dunno, but I did like the disconnected/confusing feeling of it all, more specifically after I was able to break it down piece by piece and make total sense of it!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I think the first game had a very tangible issue of not quite knowing what it wanted to be, which is pretty standard for the first iteration of a new IP.

Yeah, this was pretty much its #1 problem IMO. Like, half the time it wanted to be a tense, resource-rationed survival horror experience, then every now and again it'd throw you into an arena with fifty zombies and expect you to kill them all with six handgun bullets. And I mean, you could, because as mentioned above it was better at giving you resources than it first appeared, and if you picked your upgrades right you could get by just fine. But it was seriously at odds with the impression it tried to give you, and I think it threw a lot of people off.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

CJacobs posted:

I think the first game had a very tangible issue of not quite knowing what it wanted to be, which is pretty standard for the first iteration of a new IP. They had a ton of different ideas to implement and not all of them really jived together, so they used the frequent shifting of the world itself as an excuse to throw all of it in. Whether that was a good idea or not, I dunno, but I did like the disconnected/confusing feeling of it all, more specifically after I was able to break it down piece by piece and make total sense of it!

Indeed. One neat touch I really liked was how fire becomes a 1HKO for most enemies. Doesn't make sense out of context. But then it works because you're wandering around Ruvik's crazy head with his crazy head monsters, and he was traumatized by 3rd degree burns and watching his sister burn to death. Thus fire becomes a powerful weapon against Ruvik's psyche.

I hope there's more content like that in TEW2.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
It looks like they're a bit more generous with the ammo this time around from what I've seen. And a actual stealth category in the upgrade tree, so I'd guess you can actually become a super-sneaky murdermachine :ninja: compared to the general 'meh fuckit' halfway through that plagues EW1.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I am honestly curious how Shinji Mikami ever got the funding for a sequel. It seemed not a lot of people did play or even like it?

Hell. CJacobs was the first person i "encountered" (=watched his lp) being exited about it, though he was not the last.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 4, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have no idea how it got greenlit. The first game sold relatively well and reviewed pretty okay, but nowhere near "this NEEDS to get a sequel" level. Maybe Bethsoft just has unerring faith in Tango Gameworks!

edit: In fact, I say a couple times in my LP of the game that I don't think there will be a sequel, because at the time I was pretty drat sure there would never be one! And boy does the egg on my face taste delicious.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 4, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Is the photographer the main antagonist or one of a few psychopaths residing in STEM?

I'm considering replaying TEW to brush up on what happens, but I think I'll watch your LP instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which, if anyone would like a refresher on the impenetrable story of the first game, I did an extensive video on the whole thing for my let's play. I suggest you watch it because it really does help the game make sense. You can definitely make sense of The Evil Within, but it helps to have a visual aid because the game itself does not tell its (very cool and unique) story all that well.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So is this a whole new evil or was the last game's dude a part of some GREATER EVIL?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, if anyone would like a refresher on the impenetrable story of the first game, I did an extensive video on the whole thing for my let's play. I suggest you watch it because it really does help the game make sense. You can definitely make sense of The Evil Within, but it helps to have a visual aid because the game itself does not tell its (very cool and unique) story all that well.

This was a good watch and cleared things up. I liked the explanation that Sebastian steadfastly believed that there were logical solutions to the traps and monsters so much that he basically created them. And I hope that Joseph comes back; I had forgotten that his fate was left in question but he was an alright guy, if a tad shallow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crabtree posted:

So is this a whole new evil or was the last game's dude a part of some GREATER EVIL?

We don't know yet! I do hope the first game's ending is addressed, it'd be a bit silly to leave the stinger in the last few seconds totally unresolved. However, given that this game features Seb going back into STEM and doesn't take place in the real world, I'm guessing it'll be totally disconnected.

edit: Speaking of my LP of the game, I just noticed from looking at the archive that I started it exactly two years ago to the day that The Evil Within 2 will be releasing.

Spookiest thing about October so far imo!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 5, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Kidman DLC seemed to shift the overall villain to Moebius. Though I could see Rubik being used to escalate things in TEW TWO, maybe by using his powers to cause STEM-style stuff to happen in the real world.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Does Ruvik have powers in the real world? I thought he just possessed rain man and that was it

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CJacobs posted:

I have no idea how it got greenlit. The first game sold relatively well and reviewed pretty okay, but nowhere near "this NEEDS to get a sequel" level. Maybe Bethsoft just has unerring faith in Tango Gameworks!

That's probably why. Game companies seem to be irrationally confident in sequels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Does Ruvik have powers in the real world? I thought he just possessed rain man and that was it

Ruvik has no power outside the STEM, but it's ambiguous whether or not Seb actually escaped in the end of the game. The DLC made it clear that Kidman at least kept him from being abducted or euthanized by Mobius.

TEW's story was in fact incredibly poor and it wouldn't be difficult to improve on it, so here's hoping the sequel does so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestonJew posted:

It's very odd. He surely does in some form, as the ending sees Leslie walking away from the hospital in plain sight of several cops who are totally ignoring him, and then he just disappears after Seb gets his headache. But at the same time, he can't, because it wouldn't make much sense for him to have powers in the real world that he only had in the first place because he was inside his own mind. If I had to guess I'd assume that they didn't know where they were going with the sequel or if there was even gonna be one at the time, so they left the idea of Seb not actually having left STEM as a possibility.

Oxxidation posted:

Ruvik has no power outside the STEM, but it's ambiguous whether or not Seb actually escaped in the end of the game. The DLC made it clear that Kidman at least kept him from being abducted or euthanized by Mobius.

TEW's story was in fact incredibly poor and it wouldn't be difficult to improve on it, so here's hoping the sequel does so.

It's a really good story that is not told especially well imo. What's there is great! But it takes too much effort to unwrap it I think.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 5, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If Ruvik in Leslie's body does have powers and the ending stinger wasn't just a shadow of him in Seb's mental perception, then he may have some limited ability to project his mind control without the STEM equipment.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think Ruvik just ran really fast around the corner when Seb wasn't looking

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlestonJew posted:

I think Ruvik just ran really fast around the corner when Seb wasn't looking

I like this idea. Ruvik tries to teleport away and then realizes oh poo poo he can't do that anymore, so instead he just channels his inner Usain Bolt and breaks into a mad dash.

That said, this game's trailers and such have so far said that Sebastian is going back into STEM, implying that he did leave at some point. Whether that happens at the end of the first game or is explained during the intro of The Evil Within 2, I guess we'll find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm really curious to see the early reviews. If it's actually more of an open-world game that allows for some exploration and has a bit more of a consistent-feeling design, then it'll be my bag. EW1 was a real mixed bag for me but I'm glad I've put the time into it after three or four false starts where I'd lose interest in Chapter Two or Three.

• Locked thread