Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

He definitely strikes me as a man who lacks moral fibre. I get the impression that, while he's a nightmare boss to his underlings, he gets absolutely steamrolled by Sandi and Ortwin. It may have gone down as you said, but I think it's also possible that he genuinely did want to make a game (competence notwithstanding) but got steamrolled by Sandi's aspirations and maybe (pure speculation here) Ortwin/Sandi's desire to drastically monetise the game's crowdfunding. When I see him talk about sales or ships he doesn't seem hugely enthusiastic about it; sometimes he almost seems reticent about it (not that it stops him, of course).

Basically i'm saying he seems to me as either someone too weak to resist temptation or too weak to stop his equals from steamrolling him. Either way, not what you want in a project leader.
he's just kinda dumb

talk to him without ~ spacedreams~ going on and the man is completely stupid

how people thought he is or was some kind of coding genius is beyond me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, its easy to sound smart when you have no idea what you're talking about and the people listening don't have a loving idea either

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Roberts questioned the chatbox. He is a genius.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

TheAgent posted:

he's just kinda dumb

talk to him without ~ spacedreams~ going on and the man is completely stupid

how people thought he is or was some kind of coding genius is beyond me

Who are we talking about here?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bushmaori posted:

Who are we talking about here?
Chris Roberts, noted game designer and director

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

Why the gently caress would a sweater need kickstarting.

The alpacas need kick-starting, especially on cold mornings. They really are a bastard to start.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Lando is the "wild card" I think. At any given moment when he's on screen it looks like he's about to snap and start screaming about how it's all a scam and CIG are harvesting the organs of Full Sail graduates in the basement. Soylent Citizen is people!

Mate, if you seriously believe that..... He's loving every minute being part of this gravy train. No more low grade cardboard boxes for him.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

With his *Wing Commander: the movie* level of genius and *Star Citizen* level of directorship.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Only thing that bugs me about starfighter, is that it seems like the rebel ships are way better. At least a wing versus tie intercepter. I rack up far more kills in the a wing than I do the tie.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
No idea what's BF's deal, but rebel fighters always were better than TIEs. T-F/T-I don't even have shields.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

quote:

:reddit: : a question or seven for you regarding lumberyard/cryengine...

Why do no other companies use it to create mmo style games, why do better funded, more stable and more knowledgable development studios write their own engine at great cost rather than touching Ly/CE?

Why do people not hold CIG accountable for their obvious, many and sometimes outright disgusting mistakes?

Why is it bad for people to take back their money if they have not received their purchase in full in a reasonable timeframe?

Why are you so angry about critisism towards CIG?

When do you expect a full and complete product delivered to your pc?

What do you lose if it fails? money, reputation, faith, trust?

What will you do if it fails?

Seriously, answer these questions if not for my morbid curiosity, for your own peace of mind. :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sunswipe posted:

:lesnick: letting us know the sort of quality that has always been present in Chris Roberts' games.
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/915698456664010752

eta: Bah, bloody thing doesn't display the linked tweet. Screenshot for posterity:

much like if you're 3+ generations out from your ancestors being pirates, if you're 10 or so years out from a released game all the horrible hacks you did to get it out the door turn into "clever workarounds"

"Time turned the evil bastards into rogues, and rogue was a word with a twinkle in its eye and nothing to be ashamed of."

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 5, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's actually not clever and in fact incredibly lovely. A random memory bug happens, but the game crashes with "CD read error" so you think your CD is scratched instead, rather than game just being a buggy piece of poo poo.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
yes but you see they were in a hurry, and it was years ago so it's not relevant anymore, right?

right?

gets a CD Read Error while ragdoll ejecting through the windshield of his autism chariot

...oh :smith:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

TheAgent posted:

He's all that and more.....
Chris Roberts.
Doing lovely stuff since day one.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Truga posted:

That's actually not clever and in fact incredibly lovely. A random memory bug happens, but the game crashes with "CD read error" so you think your CD is scratched instead, rather than game just being a buggy piece of poo poo.

Passing the blame seems fairly apt and well practiced for CR tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plZRe1kPWZw

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2017

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

Truga posted:

"HDD read error. Please upgrade to an official Star Citizen SSD"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

yes but you see they were in a hurry, and it was years ago so it's not relevant anymore, right?

right?

gets a CD Read Error while ragdoll ejecting through the windshield of his autism chariot

...oh :smith:

:allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bumbler posted:

"HDD read error. Please upgrade to an official Star Citizen SSD"

Insuffcient sound card fidelity, please contact your sound driver manufacturer

Nov 24, 2014

Truga posted:

"Oh, your framerate is bad... it's uh, a problem with AWS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:smuggo:

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Truga posted:

No idea what's BF's deal, but rebel fighters always were better than TIEs. T-F/T-I don't even have shields.

Well, the reasoning behind that was that the empire went with power in numbers, and rebels needed fighters with more durability, since they were fewer in number. Doesn't really lend itself to a balanced 12v12 fight. And going by the movies, shields really didn't offer much, if any protection, maybe 1-2 hits/glancing blows.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

when is citcon this year?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Natron posted:

Toops should sue.

Am I the ELE?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

He's all that and more.....
Chris Roberts.
Doing lovely stuff since day one.

Nah that was actually good. Why do work if nobody will ever know the difference?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Let's get one thing nice and sparkling clear. Chris Roberts is a loving con-man. Yeah, he's stupid, but what makes him a con-man is that he unrepentantly lies, and makes forward-looking promises for the sole purpose of manipulating people into doing what he wants.

He's like the Rain Man of con-artists. Just because he's a loving subnormal dolt who's never really sure what he's doing or why doesn't change what he ultimately is.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Crobberts is intolerable. Defend kebab.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toops posted:

Let's get one thing nice and sparkling clear. Chris Roberts is a loving con-man. Yeah, he's stupid, but what makes him a con-man is that he unrepentantly lies, and makes forward-looking promises for the sole purpose of manipulating people into doing what he wants.

He's like the Rain Man of con-artists. Just because he's a loving subnormal dolt who's never really sure what he's doing or why doesn't change what he ultimately is.

Before he cons anyone else he cons himself.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Goosfraba posted:

The Stimperor's New Groove.

I hope it comes in black

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Before he cons anyone else he cons himself.

I agree, his ability to believe his own stories as they're being made is pretty loving remarkable.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

big nipples big life posted:

Lando got his job because he is basically Ben but looks less like a bloated corpse, he is a giant fanboy, that is his only qualification. I still have no idea how the thread canon of him being down on the project got started.

thank u poster

Finally someone else realizes the absurdity of saying Lando is some sort of double agent who is going to whistleblow the poo poo out out of all this

lol the dude is Ben 2.0 if Ben hadn't metamorphasized into a house

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
My dick stinks.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

BAD KAYAK NO WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I really enjoyed the alpaca puns on the last few pages

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Space Whale is not a joke.

This is going to be used to meet their community engagement quota during the CitizenCon presentation. Expect to see the space whale show up as a 'cool inside joke' before they reveal this year's baby capital ship concept sale. I'm calling it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Perhaps this one is JPEG certified, so you can look at pretty pictures of it for months before it (maybe) arrives?

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Lladre posted:

I wonder who at CiG mistakenly backed that alpaca guy.
And no I don't think it was any of the upper management types.

With the Alpaca mystery, maybe all will be revealed in a future CIG video where someone has an itchy grey overpriced top on in the background.

But with the Kickstarter backing, to actually back you would have to put payment details in wouldn't you, and it would have probably already been linked to the CIG accound due to SC campaign?

So this would indeed have come out of backer moneys?

Disgusting CIG.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Perhaps this one is JPEG certified, so you can look at pretty pictures of it for months before it (maybe) arrives?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

CIG are simply looking for new and exciting ways to pull the wool over peoples eyes

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Toops posted:

Yes, we are way past the time that Robert's realised his (same) dream project he's been having for years is infeasible even with what he thought was state of the art tech and a great game engine. Not without shortcuts, reducing scope and compromising lots of stuff. And also not without a game design document.
Even if he didn't get that by himself, a few of his team people (I guess some of which were fired or moved on since then) must have told him that repeatedly. It has probably sunk in at some point.

If he is actually as stupid as he comes across, then the full realisation happened sometime last year. But he probably just looks like a thumbman, but is a lot smarter as to know when he is actively scamming people, and I think he knew by 2014 -- at latest.

We are also past the point where he could first come clean and explicitly go "well, this feature is pointless, this is not fun, this is just overhead, this can be better performing if we take that shortcut, this is only getting released if we skip all the extra "fat", etc. Our development process is all backwards, we will focus on feasible and fun mechanics, instead of motion caps and model fidelity".

Instead this year he went "he have the money, we can make the full game and if you want an even better game, then I guess give us more of your money, but you don't really have to -- except you know it's not going to be as best *hint* *hint* *nudge* *faaart*.

Because he doesn't care about a game being developed anymore. He cares about the "image" of a game/movie project being created, he cares about the marketing, and now that this is all failing in an obvious manner, he probably cares about getting as much more money he can and then bolting to some safe place to live happily ever after.

Implicitly, by missing all the set dates, severely cutting down his Jesus patch and still being unable to release a new alpha --- for gently caress's sake, and having 2-3 disgraceful public shows since last year's GamesCom, he has shown that he won't be able to do any of what he has been promising, as he promised them, and probably won't have anything really viable anytime soon.

But quite a few backers have stuck to the full of poo poo sinking ship (not in any way intended as a pun about Titanic), and think that all the previous stuff mean "They are polishing. We are getting the best experience. This is how game development works" and ignoring all the many, many red flags.

Maybe that's the justification in Crobblers mind. They are happy, I am happy, we all gain something from this -- except I am getting money and they are getting horseshit out of this, but you know... they are happy!

Tax:

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 5, 2017